Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Shopping & Need Input Model Y Perf or RS5 Sportback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spot on--night and day between my car and my wife's car--transmission as well as engine. (Also have to laugh as my wife is always claiming her car is faster than mine--don't know that she's ever driven my car in "S" vs "D", not to mention that little issue with weight difference etc!) Interesting comment on the transmission--I recall reading about this change when they launched the B9 update, but never really appreciated it until driving the SQ5. And now, I'd be faced with that issue in the RS5---had not factored this into my considerations, but need to as I much prefer the DSG. Hmmmmm.......

Thanks again Lionel, great insight here!

Happy to help give the advice. If you're seriously looking at the RS5 you really need to TD one, and spend the time with it in "D" making turns through intersections, navigating parking lots, etc., rather than just hooning it. Shame is the transmission itself is fundamentally the same ZF8 that is terrific in a lot of other cars. Audi just neutered the tuning. My pet theory is that they're trying to protect Panamera sales.

Happy to help give the advice. If you're seriously looking at the RS5 you really need to TD one, and spend the time with it in "D" making turns through intersections, navigating parking lots, etc., rather than just hooning it. Shame is the transmission itself is fundamentally the same ZF8 that is terrific in a lot of other cars. Audi just neutered the tuning. My pet theory is that they're trying to protect Panamera sales.

Yes, you are correct and I will be doing so, sooner rather than later. Have driven earlier version RS cars, but not the current RS5. Drove the MY just a couple weeks back and really didn't expect to like it quite as much as I did--has prompted me to really think much longer/harder about the next car than I anticipated. Have been planning for the RS5 for the last 12 months and just waiting for the right one to come along at the right time. It hasn't yet (and I am in no rush at all), and then I drove the MY, and well, here we are......Interesting idea re the Panamera, could definitely see that happening!