Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison - Tesla MY to BMW x4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading a bit about the MY and am surprised at all the cars its usually compared to. I see a lot comparing the interior and exterior size to the BMW x3, but feel that SUV is much box-ier and honestly a bad interior comparison.

I am getting close to the end of my lease of a 2018 BMW x4 and feel that is the closest vehicle out there to the MY. Very similar to the actual dimensions as well as the swoop down at the back of the car for the hatchback.

Dimensions (wiki):
BMW x4 187-188″ L x 76″ W x 64″ H
Tesla Model Y 187″ L x 76″ W x 64″ H​

I haven't seen one out in the wild but would love to see it next to my x4. Wonder if there are any other people that have gone from an x4 to an MY.

Why do you think it's a bad comparison? I have both an '18 X3 M40i and a Y and they compare pretty close on exterior and interior dimensions. The X4 is much worse in the rear than both and has less usable storage space. I briefly looked at the X4 variant but it was too much of a compromise.

With the Y, you sit mid wheel and the hatch is about that high also. With the X3, you sit above the rear wheel and the hatch is that high as well. It's a trick on the eyes that the slope makes the interior smaller.

IMG_6563.JPEG
IMG_2141.jpg

Why do you think it's a bad comparison? I have both an '18 X3 M40i and a Y and they compare pretty close on exterior and interior dimensions. The X4 is much worse in the rear than both and has less usable storage space. I briefly looked at the X4 variant but it was too much of a compromise.

With the Y, you sit mid wheel and the hatch is about that high also. With the X3, you sit above the rear wheel and the hatch is that high as well. It's a trick on the eyes that the slope makes the interior smaller.

View attachment 533089 View attachment 533091
Hmmm good points! I just thought it was a closer comparison (shouldn't have used the word bad :)) with the sloped hatchback based on pictures I've seen so far and back seat sitting mid-wheel for both the x4 & MY. I feel like there's still a lot of space in the x4 trunk and that the Model Y has the same area. Added a few pictures here of the x4 trunk: back seats up and down. Just wanted to highlight the similarities :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_085359.jpg
    IMG_20200417_085359.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20200417_085409.jpg
    IMG_20200417_085409.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20200417_085436.jpg
    IMG_20200417_085436.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20200417_085443.jpg
    IMG_20200417_085443.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 146
The biggest difference between the X4 and Y is the height of the floor. If you compare this to your X4, the Y goes straight up a few feet and then starts the slope, while the X3 load floor is higher and maybe has a foot of vertical and then starts the slope. Also, you probably notice that the headroom takes a hit in the X4 and an average person can bang their head on the roof. With the Y, you have a lot of room, even for someone that's taller.

IMG_6566.JPEG

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
The biggest difference between the X4 and Y is the height of the floor. If you compare this to your X4, the Y goes straight up a few feet and then starts the slope, while the X3 load floor is higher and maybe has a foot of vertical and then starts the slope. Also, you probably notice that the headroom takes a hit in the X4 and an average person can bang their head on the roof. With the Y, you have a lot of room, even for someone that's taller.

View attachment 533289
Yea, you're right about that. Definitely a different start point for the slope and I know I've seen some unhappy tall passengers in the back of the x4. The glass roof really does also add a bit of vertical space for the back seat passengers. Thanks for the added picture to see it clearly!

The biggest thing you will notice is that the BMW is quieter and the initial fit and finish is better. Even at 90 mph, the X4 is fairly quiet on the inside while I start to hear the wind, tires and pebbles from the road at 45-50mph.

I'm not really a car guy. 0-to-60, performance, etc doesn't really matter. I'm a technology guy and that is what draws me to Tesla. It's like a computer on wheels. I have a Bolt EV now and while I really like the car it's software changed twice in 3 years. Not sure traditional car companies can keep up with Tesla tech.