Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparisons between Autopilot and Highway Driving Assist 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the biggest reasons to get a Tesla is Autopilot and (optionally) Auto Lane Change. To my knowledge, no other car maker offers this.

But I see that the Ioniq 5 has an option for Highway Driving Assist 2, which sounds as though it offers the same basic functionality - dynamic cruise control, lane centering, and auto lane change.

The Ioniq 5 has been available for a while now (at least outside the US), so I'm a bit surprised no one has talked about how it compares to Autopilot.

Has anyone here had experience with HDA2?

How does it compare to Autopilot? Is it a viable alternative?

My Kia K5 used basically the same system without auto lane change. Kia/Hyundai system works fine for slightly curved freeways and straight aways but if you have any actual curve in the road, it takes itself out of autopilot with no warning. Since you’re “supposed to keep your hands on the wheel” it’s not seen as a bad thing... a lot of freeway curves actually kicked it out of lane keeping assist “LKA.” It’s not great. But was nice for long stretches. Also, when you changed lanes, it turned LKA back on automatically once it recognized lane lines again. That was nice. Wish Tesla did that without FSD needing to do the lane change on its own to stay active.

Adaptive cruise control worked as advertised. Actually braked a little smoother than Tesla’s. But wouldn’t accelerate as quickly.

Anyone know of a good video showing what hda2 and blue cruise can do in long distance driving? The only videos I see don't show the road for long stretched. It's hard to guage what it actually can do. Munroe has one on the mach e... it disconnected on a 'sharp' turn on the freeway.

I only use ap on long drives but it's so helpful on major freeways and even one lane country roads. I've gone hours with only one of two interventions.

When I test drive the mach e the lane keep assist was so so bad. It disconnected all the time. I was really hoping hda2 works well for my use case. I don't need lane change or parking....

Reactions: preilly44