Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compete with Taycan on Nurburgring?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize the tech in your car is not the tech they will be running this week?
As I have said before: Elon would have already had the team simulate the runs with track mode on the raven tech, with adaptable suspension. He knows they can beat the time, or he would not have sent the tweet.

I look forward to more of your mental gymnastics next week.

I think they've tried to set expectations low by showing the model x towing a rubber duck as its first attempt at pulling a commercial airliner.

They're not expecting big things on this ridiculous first attempt, but eventually ...

Hmm, I think that wager should extend to brakes, at very least pads. Not many people take their road pads on a circuit for any serious business. They are in the same category as tires IMHO. Discs are borderline, but I used to swap my front discs before track days to keep them bedded in and I used nicer (2 piece) discs on track. Tires, brakes, driver...everything else is secondary at best.

Hmm, I think that wager should extend to brakes, at very least pads. Not many people take their road pads on a circuit for any serious business. They are in the same category as tires IMHO. Discs are borderline, but I used to swap my front discs before track days to keep them bedded in and I used nicer (2 piece) discs on track. Tires, brakes, driver...everything else is secondary at best.

If it was confirmed that the Taycan swapped brakes and pads for their Nurburgring time I would accept this as fair. I do not believe Porsche did so. As far as I can tell, the Taycan ran their 7:42 in production trim. For the purposes of this wager, Tesla needs to do the same.

Yes, I know Porsche OEM brakes are really good. That's the point I am driving towards here. Porsche built a car to perform on a track, Tesla did not.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
People need to get over their opinions of what's "fair" and what's "cheating" when it comes to this sort of thing.

Manufacturers have been 'cheating' when it comes to press cars, review cars, and 'Ring lap times forever.
It's not a sport policed by a governing body, it's marketing.
Even when cars are competing in something like an FIA event, cheating goes on.

The only way to find out if one production car is faster than another is to buy one of each yourself and drive them both around your favorite track. You can't fully trust what a manufacturer or journalist says. Ever.

People need to get over their opinions of what's "fair" and what's "cheating" when it comes to this sort of thing.

Manufacturers have been 'cheating' when it comes to press cars, review cars, and 'Ring lap times forever.
It's not a sport policed by a governing body, it's marketing.
Even when cars are competing in something like an FIA event, cheating goes on.

The only way to find out if one production car is faster than another is to buy one of each yourself and drive them both around your favorite track. You can't fully trust what a manufacturer or journalist says. Ever.

I totally agree with you. It's not possible to prove or disprove a configuration in this situation as the public will never get access to these press cars. If The Model S gets a time better than 7:42 AND Elon tweets don't mention hardware modifications, I would concede the bet. I highly doubt this will happen.

I am soo confident that I agreed to buy a stranger a case of beer that I do not have easy access to should I lose. :)

My entire point here is that the Taycan was built to race on the Nurburgring by a company who specializes in building cars to race on the Nurburgring. Tesla does not. If the Model S does ever post a competitive time, it will be only a shell with a completely altered powertrain, cooling, and battery system. This isn't going to happen overnight. What I expect to happen is Tesla learns quite a lot about what the Model S is not capable of and goes back to engineering with some data and new performance goals. This benefits all of us.

Competition is good, tribalism is bad. See the Taycan for what it is; a Porsche. It does what Porsche's do. It is not nor was it designed to be a Tesla. People who thought it would be a 'Tesla killer' bought into automotive journalism hype and should have known better.

Tesla did EXACTLY what I said they were going to do.

If the Model S does ever post a competitive time, it will be only a shell with a completely altered powertrain, cooling, and battery system. This isn't going to happen overnight. What I expect to happen is Tesla learns quite a lot about what the Model S is not capable of and goes back to engineering with some data and new performance goals. This benefits all of us.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Since this thread is within the 2020 Roadster “area” nobody and I mean nobody cares what rationalizations you made. This isn’t the Raven section. This is about the ass-beating delivered to A Porsche “prototype” by the Model S plaid “prototype”.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: wenkan