Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Competions "Auto Steer" or Active Lane Assist - videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Just trying to understand what competitors are doing.

Audi

Audi active lane assist AEV
What cars: What Is The Audi Driver Assistance Package? | Autobytel.com
A Driver Assistance package is available on A6 models with the Premium plus or Prestige trim levels. The package includes Audi active lane assist, adaptive cruise control with stop & go, a top and corner view camera system, and Audi pre sense plus. S6 models with the Driver Assistance package get Audi side assist, Audi active lane assist, Audi pre sense plus, adaptive cruise control with stop & go, a top and corner view camera system, and power-folding, power-adjustable, auto-dimming, heated side mirrors with memory.

Youtube: The Audi active lane assist - YouTube

Mercedes

Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: Active Lane Keeping Assist
What cars:
VleMpVT.png

Youtube: Active Lane Keeping Assist -- 2014 E-Class -- Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Safety - YouTube

Youtube: Active Lane Keeping Assist Vehicle Safety Technology -- Mercedes-Benz 2013 ML-Class - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Title: Autopilot Showdown: Tesla P85D vs Mercedes E63S Wagon
Autopilot Showdown: Tesla P85D vs Mercedes E63S Wagon

Conclusion
Tesla’s Autopilot is not comparable to Mercedes Distronic Plus. It’s on a whole other level. It’s still pretty far from being an autonomous vehicle, but it is much, much closer than anything else I have experienced. While Tesla has had 2-3 years of development over my Mercedes E63S system, I took a spin in a new 2016 Mercedes model with the latest revision of their system, and there is no tangible improvement. That being said, it does feel like Tesla is doing what Apple does. It takes a function and improves it. The Mercedes is like one of the original Smartphones, or a Blackberry. It’s functional. It’s rudimentary and gets the job done. The Tesla is like an iPhone 6S. It does everything better and has much more functionality. The screens I had mentioned I had found earlier on my car look eerily similar to the ones found on the Tesla. The switch gear is the same. The Alcantara headliner is the same. The Autopilot is leagues better.
I think the biggest advantage that Tesla has over Mercedes is the over the air updates. Continuous improvement, like Apple. Just like that, tomorrow or next week, all Tesla cars, whether you like or not, can be patched. I am sure the Autopilot will improve over the coming months as reports get back to Tesla. My Mercedes, like older Blackberries, won’t change. That is something that needs to change.

Last edited:
It would be nice if Tesla also implemented active lane-keeping assist. Right now, if you are driving normally and drift out of lane, you get a steering wheel buzz, but no active measures to keep the car in the lane.

With auto steering, lane-keeping seems a bit odd. If I don't have AP enabled, I think I'd prefer to not have something second guessing me.