Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Competiton is coming?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Tesla and think that Elon, is a genius, but i find it very interesting and quite a challenge for Tesla to keep its growth in popularity with people that would like a more EV affordable car. I say this because BMW just announced their Electric car being more affordable, I also know, the perks, range and acceleration are nothing to match but Tesla has opened the minds of people to like EV's, many of us who cant really afford a Tesla right now are waiting to see the stage 3 of their bossiness model where they want to make this more affordable ca, and we would have to wait at least by 2015. Now BMW has loyal customer base. their name carries wight globally and their affordable car is going to be available this November. It gives me a feeling that by the time Tesla gets their 30-50K car it will look like Tesla is following BMW instead of being the innovator for most people that doesn't know what TESLA is. Specially in the European market where there are only 2 TESLA cars and Model S is gonna start being sold on November this year. I hope someon in tesla reads this and pushes for a speed implementation of the stage 3. Good luck Guys =)

I love Tesla and think that Elon, is a genius, but i find it very interesting and quite a challenge for Tesla to keep its growth in popularity with people that would like a more EV affordable car. I say this because BMW just announced their Electric car being more affordable, I also know, the perks, range and acceleration are nothing to match but Tesla has opened the minds of people to like EV's, many of us who cant really afford a Tesla right now are waiting to see the stage 3 of their bossiness model where they want to make this more affordable ca, and we would have to wait at least by 2015. Now BMW has loyal customer base. their name carries wight globally and their affordable car is going to be available this November. It gives me a feeling that by the time Tesla gets their 30-50K car it will look like Tesla is following BMW instead of being the innovator for most people that doesn't know what TESLA is. Specially in the European market where there are only 2 TESLA cars and Model S is gonna start being sold on November this year. I hope someon in tesla reads this and pushes for a speed implementation of the stage 3. Good luck Guys =)

From what I heard the reviews have not been kind. This car is not in the same class as a Tesla. In any case, the market is plenty large enough for both. You don't really have "competition" when you are supply constrained.

Besides the early mover advantage Tesla concerning it's electric drive train for it's vehicles, there is another, possibly larger, "quiet revolution" going on at Tesla too:The supercharging network!!! It is being built right under the other manufacturers noses, Hahahahaha, you should go visit one ASAP!

When Tesla builds a less expensive model it won't have the ridiculously limited range of the BMW. The Chevrolet Volt is more compelling than the BMW as there is no range anxiety with the Volt and it operates as an EV most of the time.

Why did you post the same text in two topics?

Anyway, we will have to see what the competition is like once Gen.III hits the market. I think Gen.III will the most 'mature' car out there, with the best looks and the best range.

By the way, you are misinformed about European deliveries. There are several dozen cars at the shops and service centers already, not just two. And Model S is not going to be sold from November, first deliveries to paying customers are in 2 weeks time. By November there will already be approx. 2000 Model S on the road in Europe and by the end of the year already 3500 to 4000.

Volt is not EV but hybrid car. It runs around 30 to 40 miles on battery (around 38 miles) after that it is ICE.

i3 is pure EV (without RXE) goes around 80 to 120 miles.

i3 can be compare with pure EV like leaf & spark ev.

i3 has second model with range extender, which uses ICE as generator to supply power to battery (power is around 20% or less) Again, if you are buying extender version it will not be become hybrid vehicle but you have to consider maintenance of RXE.

This article might be a bit harsh on the BMW i3, but, it makes some salient points - especially when contrasting it with the Model S:
BMW i3 review: Electric car is a cheap, ugly Tesla Model S with an SUV on the side.

Excellent article! I only read the first paragraph and it strikes a chord with me immediately. What the heck BMW is doing with the $2.5 billions? That tells me a true tesla competitor will not arrive until it is too late. If BMW can't do it, Audi? Mercedes? And Detroit???

Yeah, far from showing that competition is increasing, the BMW i3 just reinforces the notion that the traditional car companies are completely unable to produce anything except 20-25 kWh city cars. If this is the best BMW can do after designing a ground up EV, then Tesla has absolutely zero to worry about in terms of competition for the Gen 3. BMW won't need to just enhance the i3 to compete, they'll need to come out with a completely different model, and cars take time to design and bring to market.

This article might be a bit harsh on the BMW i3, but, it makes some salient points - especially when contrasting it with the Model S:
BMW i3 review: Electric car is a cheap, ugly Tesla Model S with an SUV on the side.

This is indeed a good article that mirrors my sentiment. I have owned/leased 4 previous BMWs. I switched to the Model S because in my opinion, it is overall a better car compared to its true competition -- the BMW 5 and 6 series, Audi A6/S6/A7/S7, Mercedes E class. I would love to see a BMW that can truly top the Model S.

This reminds me of Apple versus Samsung. Let's see if one of the German car companies can replicate what the Korean device companies have done for phones. Plenty of people out there walking around with Galaxy S3's.....

Volt is not EV but hybrid car. It runs around 30 to 40 miles on battery (around 38 miles) after that it is ICE.

i3 is pure EV (without RXE) goes around 80 to 120 miles.

i3 can be compare with pure EV like leaf & spark ev.

i3 has second model with range extender, which uses ICE as generator to supply power to battery (power is around 20% or less) Again, if you are buying extender version it will not be become hybrid vehicle but you have to consider maintenance of RXE.

My Volt is an EV most of the time, and it is still propelled by an electric motor even when the ICE is operational . It also isn't useless when I want to drive it further than 120 mi. As I understand some i3's have an ICE albeit a greatly compromised internal combustion engine. So lets not get pedantic and argue over whether a Volt or an i3 is an EV. My Volt does not have the lag of a hybrid such as a Prius nor does it have range anxiety of an i3.

Please tell me how the i3 is real competition to either a Volt or a Tesla when you can even buy one?

Sorry, when does it go on sale in the USA again? Every state? Ugh...

I'm close to the author:

1. I hope it will succeed. If it drives like BMW
2. It's not as attractive as a Leaf. I like the Leafs profile and rear, but the i3 looks unappealing at all angles. BMW started to do something cool with the taillights but they do not impress.
3. Range extender is a joke and ends up just taking away from cargo space even when you don't equip with one.

BMW will sell 5K in the USA, at full price, even with a marketing blitz as the Leaf and Volt will win the comparisons (Prognostication). Immediate discounts up to $4K within 3 months.

I hope they have a 200 mile battery in their back pocket. Maybe they do for another $6K.

My Volt is an EV most of the time, and it is still propelled by an electric motor even when the ICE is operational . It also isn't useless when I want to drive it further than 120 mi. As I understand some i3's have an ICE albeit a greatly compromised internal combustion engine. So lets not get pedantic and argue over whether a Volt or an i3 is an EV. My Volt does not have the lag of a hybrid such as a Prius nor does it have range anxiety of an i3.

Please tell me how the i3 is real competition to either a Volt or a Tesla when you can even buy one?

You are comparing again EV to hybrid.

i3 is pure EV which ranges 80 to 100/125 miles on battery without any kind of ICE engine. Volt has ONLY 38 miles on battery (if you don't drive 38 miles of more on daily commute it won't use ICE ever...only in maintenance mode it will run ICE engine.. now in that case you don't have to worry about range anxiety on daily commute but for occasionally long trips, where agree volt will help you)

go to this thread to get more info

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/19331-BMW-i3/page8?p=397654#post397654

You are comparing again EV to hybrid.

i3 is pure EV which ranges 80 to 100/125 miles on battery without any kind of ICE engine. Volt has ONLY 38 miles on battery (if you don't drive 38 miles of more on daily commute it won't use ICE ever...only in maintenance mode it will run ICE engine.. now in that case you don't have to worry about range anxiety on daily commute but for occasionally long trips, where agree volt will help you)

go to this thread to get more info

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/19331-BMW-i3/page8?p=397654#post397654
If it has an ICE it is in the same category as the Volt