Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Competiton is coming?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car won't compete in any way with a gen 3 Tesla.

The entire reason the Model S has been successful, is that it is an awesome vehicle, that happens to be electric as well.

I actually was thinking about trading my current car in for a Leaf, but it asks me to make too many compromises. Even if the range wasn't ever an issue, there are still much better ICE cars in the same/cheaper price point.

The Model S is the only electric car that is actually better than a comparable gas car with which it competes with. Other car companies just don't yet get it. I shouldn't have to pay a premium just because a car is electric. You have to make it worth the price.

This car won't compete in any way with a gen 3 Tesla.

The entire reason the Model S has been successful, is that it is an awesome vehicle, that happens to be electric as well.

I actually was thinking about trading my current car in for a Leaf, but it asks me to make too many compromises. Even if the range wasn't ever an issue, there are still much better ICE cars in the same/cheaper price point.

The Model S is the only electric car that is actually better than a comparable gas car with which it competes with. Other car companies just don't yet get it. I shouldn't have to pay a premium just because a car is electric. You have to make it worth the price.

Agreed - Gen III will be far superior to BMW i3...

But, in this playing field currently, re: the price of EVs vs. ICE -- WSJ just did a great price comparison worth checking out, pretty compelling:
To Spark Buyers for Electric Cars, Drop the Price to Nearly $0 - WSJ.com

This article might be a bit harsh on the BMW i3, but, it makes some salient points - especially when contrasting it with the Model S:
BMW i3 review: Electric car is a cheap, ugly Tesla Model S with an SUV on the side.
I have some quibbles with that article. Besides the fundamental flaw of comparing apples and oranges, the author apparently has never heard of the Tesla Roadster.
[The BMW i3's] range is 80 to 100 miles, commensurate with pre-Tesla efforts like the Volt and the Nissan Leaf.
Someone should let him know that both the Leaf and the Volt are in fact post-Tesla, and the Roadster has a ~200 mile range.

The BMW i3 is no threat to Tesla. Look at it this way, Tesla is setting a bar with standards for EVs. That means that Tesla is offering top quality no compromise experience when driving their vehicles. The BMW i3 is only going to hurt BMW's brand as people leave less then satisfied, and in 3 years they will pick up a Gen III. For competition like BMW i3 the RAV4 EV and Mercedes B class is more then enough to silence them.

I would say BMW's diesel 328d xDrive Sports Wagon is greater competition. It's cheaper than the Model S has AWD and good gas mileage. I am not saying I would get it over a Model S which requires no gas, has rear jump seats to seat 7, and is almost definitely more fun to drive. I am just saying it is the best competition for someone looking for that balance of utility, luxury, mpg, and price. Living in Vermont the AWD is a big plus, but I am going to save my money for the Model X.

I'm of the firm opinion that more EVs for sale is better and welcome the i3. However, I doubt it will be a big success because it doesn't really solve range anxiety but rather reinforces it. In that sense it really isn't competition for the EV consumer's $$. IMHO, a 200 mile (real miles) pure EV is what's needed.

The one thing about the i3 that is good for EVs - most male drivers can see themselves in it. This is important for getting to broader acceptance of EVs. I seem to have the following conversation at least twice a week. A guy asks me about the Tesla and the conversation eventually gets to the general EV market. The guys all make comments about how ugly or pathetic the LEAF looks. Now, if there was a sporty version of the LEAF, that would be a different story. However, the i3 seems to meet with male approval. Maybe because it's a BMW or maybe because it looks "tough". Before anyone attacks me for having a skewed view of masculinity, I am just telling you what other guys have said. Personally, I would never own an i3 (or a LEAF, either).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many people think the i3 is ugly. It's not super sexy, but I don't think it's ugly either, and I think people are perhaps biased from the outset. I looks okay. Personally, I think it looks better than the Leaf, albeit more unconventional. I am surprised a company like BMW would choose to use those skinny wheels and tires, however; that invites criticism and hatred, be it warranted or not.

The i3 may be competition, it may not. For me, it is. I will consider anything electric at this point, regardless of what categories you might put any particular vehicle into. Would I buy the i3? No. Insufficient range for my needs, even with the range extender (I don't want to have to stop at a gas station every 80 or so miles, and the power with battery depleted will probably be dismal). And I'm betting it's efficiency suffers in range extended mode, as I would guess it is a straight serial hybrid and wastes energy converting mechanical to electrical and back to mechanical.

Furthermore, when will the i3 be available in Missouri? I don't think they will be available anywhere until mid next year. And then -- I have no idea here -- but I'm guessing it will be a phased roll out, and only be available on the coasts? Or will it be available everywhere in the US at the time of release? As far as I'm concerned, it's not a real car until you can buy it in all 50 states.

There is still nothing that can live up to the capabilities of a Tesla, especially with superchargers being rolled out across the country. Good for Tesla as a company I guess, but many of us, Elon included, would like to see some real competition to further the cause of electric transport.

From what I heard the reviews have not been kind. This car is not in the same class as a Tesla. In any case, the market is plenty large enough for both. You don't really have "competition" when you are supply constrained.

yeah the reviews I have read too were *not* good for the BMW i3. Almost all said the car looked terrible (bad style), will probably be nickel and dimed up to $60-$70k+ with options, only seats 4 as opposed to 7 in the MS, and the fact that they use a gasoline "ICE" engine as a "range extender" is utterly ridiculous and defeats the whole purpose of buying an EV in the first place.

There is absolutely no comparison to a Tesla. BMW's first attempt at an EV, while merited, is a failure IMO. But they have to start somewhere. So this model gets a "mulligan" as a first attempt. Hopefully BMW will get it right on the next generation.

I read this article at BMW i3 thread but posting here because of fair assessment

http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/119...timate-comparison.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

The article did not mention battery life. Battery life for the Tesla is excellent. If the BMW battery life is similar to a Leaf it is quite dismal. People get irritated when I call the Volt an electric car; so, I will refer to it as a plug in. I still believe the BMW i3 competes more closely with a Volt or a Leaf. I would select the Volt over the BMW for numerous reasons. The Volt is comfortable, available now, and trouble free with long battery life. I have used 17 gal of gasoline in my Volt this year, that is a small price to pay for not having range anxiety. The Volt is considerably more attractive and less expensive than the i3.

I can't imagine why anybody would ever compare the i3 with a Tesla Model S. There is nothing in the world that will compete with a Model S. I hope that there will be. I would also hope that whatever competition evolves, it will be available without going through a dealership.

Now BMW has loyal customer base. their name carries wight globally and their affordable car is going to be available this November. It gives me a feeling that by the time Tesla gets their 30-50K car it will look like Tesla is following BMW instead of being the innovator for most people that doesn't know what TESLA is. Specially in the European market where there are only 2 TESLA cars and Model S is gonna start being sold on November this year.

It's not correct that Model S will start selling in November this year in Europe. Actual user deliveries start in just 5 days, 7th. of August in Oslo. Tesla has stated that they will deliver more than a thousand Model S to Norway this year.
I don't know to much about deliveries in other European countries, but I believe that Switzerland is also starting to receive deliveries soon.