Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete blackout - both displays at highway speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happen to anyone?
Completely unnerving. Driving along, highway speed in a straight line with enhanced auto pilot, navigate on auto pilot on, and both screens go black.
Post MCU 2 upgrade.
FSD computer installed.
V 10.2 installed

Two minutes later they are rebooting.

Recently happened to me, but in the garage, after charging overnight. Both screens black; nothing happened when I stepped repeatedly on the brake. Called Roadside Assistance. The agent couldn't connect remotely to the car OTA. He told me to depress both scroll wheels for a full 2 minutes, which was successful in booting up the car. The agent recommended driving directly to the nearest SC, but they would have none of it. The SC said I must make an appointment, which I did. They can diagnose the car remotely, and order parts before the appointment.

What software versions are you all using? Op says 10.2 but am unfamiliar with that. I ask because my car just alerted to install 2021.4.11. I am currently on 4.6.

I have MCU2 HW3. I have not seen this behavior so far. Wonder if new version is being pushed to address this.

Also happened to me just a day after upgrading to MCU2. I knew this was probably just a spontaneous reboot. I was not happy that the IC and MCU2 are integral in such a way that both go out at the same time. IC1 and MCU1 aren't tied together in the same way and you could reboot them independently of each other. So now when the MCU2 reboots, you lose all display.

Was hoping MCU2 would be more stable and would never have these MCU1 type issues :(

I am a new Tesla owner of an older 2014 Model S. On my first drive out the MCU screen went black and rebooted. Shortly after, the car started taking much longer to "wake up" and drive.

While searching the internet for answers, I found an interesting article about the MCU/screen blackout problems on the "electrek" website. Link added here- if allowed: Tesla slashes the price of its media unit upgrade amid controversy - Electrek Tesla slashes the price of its media unit upgrade amid controversy by Fred Lambert- Jan. 22nd 2021

That article led me to the NHTSA recall website. There I put in my car's vin number and discovered that this older car is part of a recall for the eMMC wear-out condition- for some of the pre 2018 Model S cars. Tesla has apparently been adding updates to address the problem so many cars may not have an issue.

It is a bit unnerving when the screen goes black and reboots, but a relief to discover that the vital functions such and steering and brakes continue. That gives me comfort because it may take a while for the parts to come in. And, I have to travel nearly 200 miles to the nearest service center. I still LOVE this car though!

I have a 2020 MX. I’m running 2021.4.12. This happened twice to me this weekend and also a month ago. I time stamped these latest events. I recently took it in for service but they couldn’t find a solution, w/o a good time stamp. When you’re driving 70 mph down the highway and all screens go dark, your first thought isn’t “oh what time is it and let’s record that.” It’s more OMG what else is going to stop working.

This happened to me a few days ago and I was on auto pilot. I know we are always suppose to be paying attention to the road but at this moment I had to grab an item that fell on the passenger floor. This was at night too and right when I went to grab the item the reboot occurred. I didn’t know because there’s no sound but my wife in the back seat with my son yelled at me because while in the carpool lane the car was heading towards the center divider at over 65mph. I looked back up and my car was already 1/2 way off the lane and I quickly corrected and controlled the pedal. The screen was black for at least 2 mins but seemed like an eternity. I’m really concerned about other drivers who may fall in the same situation where they may not have full attention at the moment while confidently engaged in AP and in a blink of an eye get in a major high speed accident. Tesla needs to address this issue ASAP.

This has happened at least a dozen times since I purchased the Model S in June 2019. In the last month it has happened 5 times and I believe that not only are both screen black, but, at least with the latest blackout, the headlights, turn signals, taillights, and hazard warning lights don't work (along with other functions). The Tesla service center looked at the problem again on July 8 and advised me: "Known characteristic. Future Solution." My service advisor told me that the problem is not unique to me and that their engineers are working on the problem. He acknowledged that it seemed like a serious safety concern, especially if it happens at night. I reported the situation to the NHTSA. I'm personally very concerned about driving the car after dark.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
This has happened at least a dozen times since I purchased the Model S in June 2019. In the last month it has happened 5 times and I believe that not only are both screen black, but, at least with the latest blackout, the headlights, turn signals, taillights, and hazard warning lights don't work (along with other functions). The Tesla service center looked at the problem again on July 8 and advised me: "Known characteristic. Future Solution." My service advisor told me that the problem is not unique to me and that their engineers are working on the problem. He acknowledged that it seemed like a serious safety concern, especially if it happens at night. I reported the situation to the NHTSA. I'm personally very concerned about driving the car after dark.

I don't know why you were "disagreed" with on this. Your experience is similar to mine (April 2019 Model S). I've had the "blackout" happen maybe 10 times in the past year (happened today on a 10-mile drive), and I also noticed that at least the turn signals don't seem to work. I didn't try any other functions, since this has always happened to me during daylight hours. If it happened at night, I think I would immediately pull over and wait a few minutes for it to finish rebooting.

I have had the spontaneous dual screen reboot several times since upgrading to MCU2. One time was during the evening in which I was able to see that the turn signals were indeed blinking by reflecting off of another car but no sound so it becomes a bit disorienting. Not a good feeling.

Reactions: EVNoob