Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete lock out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HFry

May 20, 2022
Uk
Picked up MY LR on 24th Sept. Despite many of the horror stories I’ve read my journey hasn’t been too bad and collection was seamless. However, this morning I have suffered a complete lockout from my car! The app is saying it was last visible over 12 hours ago and cannot connect and both my key cards are not working. I therefore cannot get into my car at all!!! It is now essentially a large brick stuck on my driveway.

Phoned Tesla who tried to access my car remotely but couldn’t do that either so I am left without a car until break down from Tesla can come and have a look at it! I’ve had to ask them to do that this evening so I can get to work.

Does anybody have any experience of something similar or any ideas about what it could be?! To say I’m annoyed as a bit of an understatement!

Picked up MY LR on 24th Sept. Despite many of the horror stories I’ve read my journey hasn’t been too bad and collection was seamless. However, this morning I have suffered a complete lockout from my car! The app is saying it was last visible over 12 hours ago and cannot connect and both my key cards are not working. I therefore cannot get into my car at all!!! It is now essentially a large brick stuck on my driveway.

Phoned Tesla who tried to access my car remotely but couldn’t do that either so I am left without a car until break down from Tesla can come and have a look at it! I’ve had to ask them to do that this evening so I can get to work.

Does anybody have any experience of something similar or any ideas about what it could be?! To say I’m annoyed as a bit of an understatement!

It looks like a dead low voltage battery (12v for older Tesla and 15.5v for newer Tesla).

A quick fix would be to jump start your battery. However, the cause should be found or the same problem will happen again.

I had exactly the same issue two weeks ago the car was recovered the service centre. It was an issue between the the high voltage and low voltage systems they told me and replaced some parts about 12 days to make the repair for me.

We had similar to this. Failure of the 'car computer'. Took 2 days to recover the car as the low loader was too big to get on our curved inclined drive and the incline was too steep to allow the car to be rolled off on dolly wheels.

What was different was that we could access the car. You may be able to access yours via the small disc covered hole in the front bumper, passenger side. For our car, it needed a 12v supply. Not sure how it works with the newer Li low voltage battery cars but it should be in the manual. But that should give access to the front compartment at the very least, but I suspect, not enough to drive. But possible failure of low voltage circuit may be able to be fixed in situ.

Our 'car computer' (aka MCU) failure was a failure of the 'gateway module'. Basically, the MCU could not boot within a certain period of time so shut itself down. A replacement 'car computer' was needed, which was done within 48 hours, but others on this forum have not been so lucky. Hopefully, for such a new car, it will be something simple like a loose connection to low voltage battery and once the bonnet is opened, it can be quickly sorted.

Thanks for your responses everyone. An update:

I contacted Tesla who said that they'd send a mobile team down but then later in the day told me they were going to send somebody to recover the car. Fast forward to the end of the day and a flatbed arrives however of course they cannot access the car and therefore it cannot be put onto the truck. I had parked my car against the wall of my house up the drive which meant that it was impossible to get on skids!! 24 hours later, after many visits from the recovery company, they bring a robot which is able to remove cars from tight spots that cannot be driven forward. It took over three hours today for my car to be recovered - what a hero the CMG driver was! The car is still dead, they managed to get into the car by putting a battery pack on the 12v at the front, but the car drained two packs very quickly and wouldn’t turn on. The screen came up very briefly with a whole list of significant errors. Quite simply, it seems very broken! It is now at the SC and I await my update.

Thanks for your responses everyone. An update:

I contacted Tesla who said that they'd send a mobile team down but then later in the day told me they were going to send somebody to recover the car. Fast forward to the end of the day and a flatbed arrives however of course they cannot access the car and therefore it cannot be put onto the truck. I had parked my car against the wall of my house up the drive which meant that it was impossible to get on skids!! 24 hours later, after many visits from the recovery company, they bring a robot which is able to remove cars from tight spots that cannot be driven forward. It took over three hours today for my car to be recovered - what a hero the CMG driver was! The car is still dead, they managed to get into the car by putting a battery pack on the 12v at the front, but the car drained two packs very quickly and wouldn’t turn on. The screen came up very briefly with a whole list of significant errors. Quite simply, it seems very broken! It is now at the SC and I await my update.

Very unfortunately situation but at least it seems to be getting dealt with somewhat speedily.
I do hope you got a video of this robot though! That sounds kinda interesting.
Hopefully Tesla can get your car sorted quickly and then you will have better luck.

Hi everyone, an update after 9 days. The car has been with the SC for a week. Hasn’t been looked at yet as far as I can tell and I therefore no update on issues. Nearly more time without the car than with it!

Such a shame. I trust they organised a hire / courtesy car.

It could be they do know the issue and are awaiting parts. It's not uncommon to be left for days without any update, since the SC's got very busy with so many Tesla's on the road nowadays.

If you haven't already, you can reply to any text message you have received from the SC.

Or find the SC number in this sticky thread.