Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Complete Plaid Brake Upgrade Options For Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RB_PB

Former Vendor
Jul 20, 2015
SoCal
Our brake offer association with Tesla started from our Camaro G5 SS, a few years before Tesla's model S delivery.

When Model 3 started delivery we were contacted by some Models S owners who used our brakes for developing the same upgrade for their Model 3. RB again lead the aftermarket and was the first brake company came out with the complete brake offer more than just replacement, including brake kits, and retrofit upgrade to Camaro/CTS-V's 6 pot calipers for Model 3 and 3P.

Plaid is no exception, the inquiry came to us in August 2021. In response to the "urgent" call for Plaid's insufficient brakes, the development program was quickly mapped up and in less than 3 months we started shipping brake pads and two piece rotors for stock replacement, followed by a series of well refined brake upgrade options for spirited and tracks applications.

What differentiates us from others is our in-depth knowledge, experience, and resources so our brakes are better refined in design and material, not only we can have the products made quicker than others but can "predict" the result.

Here is a summary of our brake offer for Plaid:

Standard Iron Brake: Upgrading Brake Pads for Plaid - Racing Brake
"Help Me Decide"

Carbon Ceramic Brake: The Ultimate Carbon Ceramic Brake System for Plaid
"Help Me Decide"

Caliper Rebuild (Components & Services):

The administrator told us we can have a vender thread to discuss about our products offer, answering technical questions to Plaid owners, or for customers who have installed our products to comment and share their feedback on installation and driving experience. As such we would appreciate members to follow the same guideline.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Updated 2/2/22:

410/390 combo kit
(with 410/410 option) are shipping this week (Requires 20"+ wheels)

390/365 combo kit (with 390/390 option) have been shipping ( Fits stock 19" wheels)

Last edited:
Shipping 432/410 iron rotor kit today:

2682%2B2683.png

Front rotor; 410x34mm
2682-wt.JPG

Front rotor/brake pad:
2682-pad1).JPG

Rear rotor: 410x30mm
2683-wt.JPG

Last edited:
Plaid owners having installed RB brakes regardless it's a brake pad or a CCB system are welcome to add their frank opinion (including suggestive improvement ) here to share with other Plaid owners:

Here are some random summary of review/feedback posted in various locations.

2 pc stock replacement w/X910 and XT970 brake pads:

Racing Brake Rotors & Pads on the MS Plaid - Wow!! I’m sorry but just doing this…better compound pads (RB XT910 street performance pads) and same size rotors as oem but with much lighter weight RB drilled/slotted rotors by RB (you can feel the weight savings on the corners…my car seems much lighter and more toss-able!) and it definitely slows & stops better than with the oem rotors and pads. Much grippier on the brake pedal feel, little to no fade, not as squishy as oem and gets a better bite down now even from higher speeds! So far, there are no squeals, squeaks, rattles, or any other issues. Not sure on the brake dust yet. The auto shop that put them on did the bedding according to RB’s instructions.

Now, having said this...these are just my first initial impressions as I just got them installed today so I haven't had much time with them. But, the difference in braking performance and feel is absolutely apparent and I can feel better about trying to slow my MS Plaid down and/or stop from higher speeds! 👍

So all this banter back and forth and “hating” on RB on the TMC forum (without people actually experiencing their products specifically on the MS Plaid) is just b.s. Their products seem to work well and may just be exactly what I was looking for with my MS Plaid! So it seems to me that neither larger rotors nor a BBK are are actually required on the MS Plaid, at least for street use. Just drilled/slotted lighter weight rotors & better compound pads for street use. I have not tried the RB track pads (XT970) yet, but if they're even better than their XT910 street pads, then all I can say is you track people may happy putting them on your MS Plaids! While I understand there will be many other options, at least you all know that RB has decent brake upgrade options for the MS Plaid right now! :cool:

image2.jpeg

image1-jpeg.736912

I posted this in my thread about upgrading the Plaid to be more track-ready:

But for more context for this thread, I‘ve had a couple years experience with Racing Brake’s rotors and pads of various compounds on my Model 3 Performance, which I tracked several times in the last two years.

Contrary to Mash’s experience, I’ve never had issues with my RB setup besides expected pad wear. I will say the XT910 compound is definitely not designed for the track and will wear quickly (i replaced them after two track days), but the XT970 is much better at handling track driving - though not quite as great as a much more expensive compound like the EX99.

Anyway, I’m a happy camper now that I have much better confidence to hit the track - and the ability to slow down much more quickly and consistently than the stock Plaid brakes.

Another one from FB:
With all the uproar about the lack of brakes and the new cc brake pack just released by Tesla today I thought I would report a little on my experience with the RB performance brakes rotors and pads I just purchased. I installed them on Monday along with some high temp brake fluid. I burnt them in a little on Monday evening highway driving to get the paint off. Last night I did a couple high speed passes over 150 mph to 0 in about a 3 minute span. The brakes felt good but a little soft - I still had to press really hard (I can confirm there was no air in the lines) the brakes were smoking hard and stinky after the second run and there was a warning on the screen saying something to the effect (sorry no picture) that the brakes were at an extremely high temperature and to drive with caution as braking power would be reduced. The warning only lasted for less than a minute. I then went on the highway for a bit and returned home. The whole testing lasted about 10 mins. When I returned home I couldn’t smell anything and I couldn’t feel any warmth coming from any of the brakes that was impressive how fast they cooled down. Today I hit the brakes hard after hitting about 120 and there was zero smell or issues. Overall I think they were worth what I paid, I feel they are better (and way better looking) but I would not feel comfortable tracking this vehicle with them. Hope it helps anyone out there.

CCB Upgrade:

Installation Videos:

Last edited:
Our 390/390mm CCB kit has gained its popularity for:
  • Super easy to install (No need to bleed the system)
  • Rotor & pad swap
  • Fits under OE calipers & pads
  • Fit OE 19" wheels (opt rear to 365mmm kit)

WHY CARBON CERAMIC BRAKE?

Still received a number of request from Plaid enthusiasts for a more affordable combo kit.

In response we have added the rear with iron rotor kit options at a special combo pricing (Below $7K incl. everything needed is included in the kit) compared to ZR1 front kit only costing $9K+, plus our rotors are made of long carbon fibers vs. ZR1's chopped fibers.

tes-crk-02 rear option.PNG

All components are in stock ready to build and ship although stock status (leadtime) is subject to change at time of order receipt.

Last edited:
Availability on Plaid's most popular & affordable BBK just got an update.

410/410 and 410/390 OE Caliper BBK are shipping today to Michael M. and Brian W. - Congratulations to your choice on these finest brake upgrades for your Plaid and good lucks to you both.

Front 410mm rotor kit under 21" wheel with 14.8mm clearance.
2681-front-kit.PNG

Front Rotor (410x33) wt:
2681_410.PNG

Rear 410mm rotor kit under 21" wheel with 7.8mm clearance.
2683%20rear%20measure.PNG

Rear Rotor (410x30) wt:
2683_wt.JPG

Last edited:
Shipping the larger pads for Plaid OE caliper BBK (w/66mm or wider in rotor annulus):

PDTS2021_65_parts.pic

The benefit of a larger pad with a longer and/or deeper lining provides a "Larger Volume" (~25% more than OE) of friction material and can run the braking temperature much lower vs. the OE size; it can reduce the components wear and replacement (rotor, pad, brake fluid, caliper rebuild) and minimize maintenance downtime.

Why larger pads? For modern high horsepower & heavy cars, the minimum pad depth we have seen is 65mm (up to 90mm).

Why Larger Pads?

A larger pad can improve the system performance, components durability, and inspire drivers confidence on tracks.

Illustration of a larger rotor with 390mm OD to accomondate this larger pad requires an ID of 258mm.

2684_pad.PNG

Despite the worldwide raw material shortage that hampered the automotive industry in delivery, we are shipping all brake kits & components as planned. A range that's well more than all the competitions combined.

Plaid's weight, horsepower, and acceleration is unprecedented; and it's brake development is even more challenging especially on the "integrated" brake system kits. We truly appreciate Plaid's release which gives us an opportunity to differentiate ourselves from the rest of brake companies. Since model S to M3 and now Plaid we were the first and still is the best on your brake upgrade option.

You can rest be assured that all our brake components are made to ASTM/AISI/SAE in material standards, brake pads to FMSI standards. We showed you numbers on dimensions and design specifications.

Brake is a safety item and a good brake not only can provide you with confidence and enjoyment on "spirited" and "motorsports" activities, but also protect you and your passengers from the unexpected panic stops which can happen anytime. - A good investment worth your consideration.

Got confused with all the available options? No problem, we make your choice easy - Just follow our selection matrix and pick one to suit your driving style.

Iron Rotors Selection Guide:

racingbrake.com
racingbrake.com​

CCB Rotors Selection Guide:

racingbrake.com
racingbrake.com