Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete Removal of Roof Due to Loose Seal

What Would You Do?

• Allow Tesla to complete the repair - nothing more (remove roof, windshield and lift gate)

Votes: 46 93.9%
  • Demand compensation (i.e. free battery upgrade to a 75 or install a power lift gate)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Do nothing and just deal with it - maybe jam some more rubber in there

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at an extensive repair - basically a new roof due to a seal that may not even impact whether or not moisture enters the car. Tesla advised they would pay to have the roof recovered in Xpel.

What would you do?

Detail:

I have a loose rubber seal that will require the removal of the roof, windshield and lift gate in order for the correction to be made. This is the solution according to Tesla and their service manual.

This seal is located on the passenger side of the car. The gap between the roof panel and the panel above the rear passenger door in this area appears to be nearly twice as wide as the same area on the driver's side. It appears to widen from front to back since the gap on each side of the car near the front windshield is the same. The extra panel spacing on the passenger side seems to have lead to the failing of the seal.

The complete removal of the roof along with the front glass and rear lift gate was the option Tesla suggested after their attempt to reapply adhesive immediately failed, even before I left the service center.

This was my fifth trip to the SC in roughly four months since purchase. Fit and finish issues and a broken A/C were the cause of most service appointments. This most recent visit was due to a loose passenger door seal and the aforementioned roof seal.

Video of loose seal:

20170814_133639.jpg

This is the passenger side which shows the loose seal:
20170814_133743.jpg

This is on the driver's side - how the seal should fit:
20170814_133713.jpg

Last edited:
I would say let them fix it. there is warranty on cars for a reason.

however if they cannot resolve the same issue after multiple attempts(id say 3 would be my limit) is when you should start barking up higher management for other resolution/compensation

as a side note, i wonder if they can retrofit a glass roof, maybe it has a better seal? get a free glass roof upgrade?

I would say let them fix it.

Let them fix it.

I'd say let them fix it as well.

Thank you for your input. It does upset me that so much work has to be completed where there is potential for things to be put back together poorly.

I do prefer the body-colored roof. Like 21" wheels, the glass roof options look attractive, however for sun protection and noise reduction, the solid roof is more practical and comfortable. A shame it's no longer an option for new orders.

Looks like I'll be without my car for at least two more weeks if I move forward.

Last edited:
Agree with everyone.

It's just sad that these fitment issues from the factory are happening.

I've got a new 75D that's been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks to sort out a poorly aligned driver door and hatch. The car never should have left the factory.

It's just sad that these fitment issues from the factory are happening.

I read on another thread that Teslas are not for those who are particular about well-put-together cars. The issues are relatively minor, but there are many. It is unfortunate since most of the problems IMO could be avoided at the factory with proper QC.

I am beginning to feel buyer's remorse setting in.

They do it all the time, apparently it's more cost effective to cut the old one out and glue in a new roof assembly than troubleshoot problems with it. We just got a complete roof replaced in our car a month ago after complaining about lose pano roof rubber trim in our 2014. Got a new style roof design - the side rails and rack mount points are now different.

My S had a cracked inner pane of the full glass roof at delivery (100% new with 15km on the odo).
Tesla replaced the roof and it is now 100% perfect.
I know how it feels to need such extensive work on a brand new car and I do feel that a robot in the factory should do a better job of mounting a glass roof than some humans in a workshop. I am, however, completely happy with the end result. They put it right and properly (I did have to wait 6 weeks for the part though!)

I too have had many SvC visits in my 4 months of ownership. I am currently driving a stinky P90D while mine is in the shop yet again for fit and finish issues. I am suffering with rattles in the drivers door, horrific air leaks in both front windows (rear seals), 4G signal dropping regularly, mobile phone signal noise from the car speakers (a la 1995 cars!), a nick in the ultra white dash panel by the passengers knee (spotted at delivery but part took 4 months to arrive), I have to dance near the car for up to 30 seconds with the key held out to get the doors to open, mobile phone charge cable sits too low to connect to my S7 phone, wipers chattering and leaving streaks after 2 months of (non) use, no OTA updates being received, the list goes on.
Trust me, I know your pain.
I may be being too picky but having spent 120k on a car, I think I am ok to expect things to work as designed/sold.

Whilst I may sound like I'm moaning, I still absolutely love the car. I know it's a pain at the moment. People at my office are starting to ask why my car changes colour twice a month. etc etc.
I just choose to see it that I am saving km on my limited lease every time they take the car back in. I make sure to take my girlfriend on a nice weekend away somewhere far flung. She has even learned to open up the Tesla destination charger map when I tell her that we will have a different car next week. Makes me feel better about the whole deal.
They will fix the issues, I am confident of it. Hell, they have another 3.5 years to fix them so they WILL fix them!

Hang in there Sawyer. Let them do their thing and, in 3 months, you'll have pretty much forgotten about it and the car will make you smile every time you press the exhilarator pedal.

I just choose to see it that I am saving km on my limited lease every time they take the car back in. I make sure to take my girlfriend on a nice weekend away somewhere far flung. She has even learned to open up the Tesla destination charger map when I tell her that we will have a different car next week. Makes me feel better about the whole deal.

This is a very good point. Each time we made a round trip to Orlando in recent months, we did it in a loaner from Tesla. Although the most recent was in a Dodge Challenger since they were out of Teslas. The 1000+ miles put on the loaners instead of my Tesla was definitely a bonus and helped to ease the frustration of multiple SC visits. The service and professionalism offered by the Tesla associates at my local SC is also very much appreciated.​

Hang in there Sawyer. Let them do their thing and, in 3 months, you'll have pretty much forgotten about it and the car will make you smile every time you press the exhilarator pedal.

I appreciate your auspicious approach, and I'll do my best to focus on the positive. Doubtful I'll soon forget about spending so much on a vehicle only to have to bring it back in so many times for corrections and tweaks. It is a great car. I was reminded of that after driving the Challenger last week. It just hasn't met expectations for what I suppose they call initial quality.​

I know it seems impossible but please, let them do whatever it is that they say needs doing. If anything goes wrong in the future, it's their mess to fix. I was exactly the same as you and I am so glad I just bit my tongue and let them do it. I was all ready to shout and scream and ask for a new car or a HPWC as compensation and this and that and grrrrrrrrrrr
It's not worth the stress. They aren't stressing so why do it to yourself? They seem like good guys in the SvC; professional and polite etc so no need to get hot over it. Again, they won't be getting hot under the collar about it but they will fix it if you let them.

Insist on a Tesla loaner. One with a nice big battery and perhaps a P in front of the numbers. Take the missus for a damn fine roadtrip, even if it's only a weekend, do some serious miles and enjoy that 90 or 100kW range. Feel smug about that odometer climbing while your's is sitting in an airconditioned workshop being loved, revel in the ever growing collection of bugs smashed against the front bumper that you will never need to clean off.... Why not (ab)use those tyres a bit more than you would your own? Let's not be silly but hey, live a little on their dollar.

Let's have a beer in 3 months. I'll ask you about the roof and you'll say "what roof?" Scouts honour.

ps: I just got the call that my car will not be ready for another 3 or 4 days while they wait for a new centre screen to arrive (that is the reason for my mobile phone signal noise coming through the speakers apparently). That will be another full week in the SvC (visit number 4 for the same jobs).
I should be fuming but.... nah.

Let's have a beer in 3 months. I'll ask you about the roof and you'll say "what roof?" Scouts honour.

It may take more than one beer. Perhaps after several I'll say, "what roof?" :) I'll take your advice and plan another road trip with my wife and remind myself it's not my car that is taking on the miles. Thank you for your positive outlook.

Let us know how the trip goes. And then how the roof looks when you pick up your car again! Fingers crossed, this is the last visit to the SvC for you.

Absolutely - I'll post an update once available. While my SC was able to take my car in next week, I figured I would put it off for at least a month so we have time to schedule a decent road trip. I also need to mentally prepare for the invasive surgery. I just sent them an email and they responded immediately advising that they will only need a day's notice when I'm ready.

Reactions: Siggy101
Yes, let them fix. Sad you have to deal with such incredibly shoddy workmanship. Shocking.

I would be over the edge pissed!

I have actually been unloading my equity in Tesla due to their inability to deliver on production. I expect a big dip and may then buy back in.

Yes, let them fix. Sad you have to deal with such incredibly shoddy workmanship. Shocking.

I would be over the edge pissed!

I have actually been unloading my equity in Tesla due to their inability to deliver on production. I expect a big dip and may then buy back in.

Definitely shoddy work. The parking lot at the SC always seems to be loaded with vehicles in for service - and there's no engine to work on.

I'm certainly not pleased about the situation, or any of the 5 service visits in 4 months. Tesla's hype has done wonders for the stock, but there's a lot going on behind the green curtain that spoils the illusion.

I remember this Lexus commercial from 25 years ago. It is meant to show how much attention to detail goes into their cars. I think about this commercial when something isn't quite right in the manufacturing of the cars I have purchased, especially the Tesla. Makes me wonder why I haven't bought a Lexus yet.

I remember this Lexus commercial from 25 years ago. It is meant to show how much attention to detail goes into their cars. I think about this commercial when something isn't quite right in the manufacturing of the cars I have purchased, especially the Tesla. Makes me wonder why I haven't bought a Lexus yet.

I remember that commercial! I was looking at my Infiniti the other day and admiring the tight, consistent, panel gaps and thinking about rolling a ball bearing down the grooves.

Then I looked at the hood gaps on my Tesla and realized that ball bearing would fall in gap and be gone.

I just got my new Tesla back from 3 weeks at the Sevice Center and a body shop to correct a severely misaligned driver door and hatch. They did a great job fixing things, but the car should not have been delivered in that condition and someone should be investigating why this happened.

Reactions: Sawyer8888