Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete shutdown while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 15 miles into trip model y lost all power. When I stopped at a stop sign a high shrill noise came from the screen. The screen stayed on, but was frozen. I pulled into traffic and traveled about 1 mile looking to pull over. Found a side street and proceeded to turn onto the side road. While turning the screen went blank along with everything else. I coasted to the side of road and rebooted. I waited and nothing happened. I rebooted a 2nd time with no luck. Short time later car became operational.

contacted Tesla giving them exact time and location. No record of incident. Tesla still looking into.

Anyone have this problem? Car bought August 1st, 4,500 miles, garage kept.

I’ve had the screen reboot while operating the car.
It was never preceded by a shrill noise or loss of power (other than to the screen).

Good to note the exact time. If the car lost power, I would open a service call using the app if you haven’t. If it was just the console lost power, a service call may still be good.

Did the sound come from the console/speakers, or something more like the mechanicals? For example, something scraping the car, or a loud whine from the motor?

I’ve had the screen reboot while operating the car.
It was never preceded by a shrill noise or loss of power (other than to the screen).

Good to note the exact time. If the car lost power, I would open a service call using the app if you haven’t. If it was just the console lost power, a service call may still be good.

Did the sound come from the console/speakers, or something more like the mechanicals? For example, something scraping the car, or a loud whine from the motor?
Shrill noise came first. Sounded like it was from screen. Gave tesla exact time.

Glad you are okay, that never happened to me but it would be really scared if I was in the highway or a turn.

I wonder if you honked you could of caught the dash cam footage.
That way you may have a record when Tesla pleads the 5th.
With the screen malfunctioning and freezing this might not work but its great to hear the Y came right back but not a good sign.
I did install a separate dash cam just encase the Y's malfunctions.

Did you recently do a software update?​

Glad you are okay, that never happened to me but it would be really scared if I was in the highway or a turn.

I wonder if you honked you could of caught the dash cam footage.
That way you may have a record when Tesla pleads the 5th.
With the screen malfunctioning and freezing this might not work but its great to hear the Y came right back but not a good sign.
I did install a separate dash cam just encase the Y's malfunctions.

Did you recently do a software update?​
Had latest software update. Tesla reloaded all software and firmware. The only thing they found was excessive activity on computer , which they say may have to led to shutdown, which they never found. Ifind this very hard to believe. Not like I’m watching a movie, ac running and driving at the same time. On their behalf they were nice. We shall see. Have a 175 mile trip today
Wondering if there might be 12v battery issues. EVs can do strange things when the 12v system is not happy. Something to look into.
tesla checked, no problem there

Definitely a scary moment the first time you experience it!!

The screen does not operate the car FYI. The car will drive like normal even when the MCU is rebooting. Turn signals, lights, etc remain on (this has been my experience) and is documented in the model 3 forums.

I usually reboot while driving and continue on my way. I’ve driven 10-20 miles before while the MCU is rebooting. It’s a computer, so it’s bound to have faults/self reboots.

Had latest software update. Tesla reloaded all software and firmware. The only thing they found was excessive activity on computer , which they say may have to led to shutdown, which they never found. Ifind this very hard to believe. Not like I’m watching a movie, ac running and driving at the same time.

I write embedded software for a living and I completely believe that they saw a lot of activity but have no idea why. No matter how many crumbs you try to leave behind, you never leave the right ones. The system is getting a ton of signals that it is dealing with, and the right combination with the right timings and it just goes nuts.

We had one we called “teenager mode”. You could tell it to do something, it would say “I’m doing it”, but not. Took forever to find and even them, it was a lot of supposition.