Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completed a 3,200+ Mile Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. My wife and I just completed a 3,200 mile road trip from the SF Bay Area to Denver, and back, via the Grand Canyon. I documented the trip via video and have posted two videos on YouTube, if anyone is interested in watching. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSevL6nRfLCXQJnyoccMF7w

While we do have FSD, I tend to not use it much, as I find it a bit nerve racking since I'm always wondering what the next move will be, or why it is or isn't' doing something. I do, however, like that I can turn the left/right blinker on, and the car will automatically change lanes. I'm glad we only paid $6K for it (we ordered the Y back in 2019, and had it delivered in March 2020). I'm hoping FSD improves soon.

I planned the route using A Better Route Planner, but used the Tesla navigation to program the car for each segment of the trip. The Tesla Energy app (in the car) is great, and really helped us manage the arrival SOC estimates. If running low, we just slowed down a bit, or drove behind a camper to conserve energy. Watching other YouTube videos (Out of Spec Motoring) really helped ease my range anxiety. Checking winds (Windy app is great), and any potential rain storms is also advised.

I pre-booked our hotels. One hotel, (Best Western Squire Inn at the Grand Canyon) had non-functional destination chargers, but fortunately, there were Tesla SuperChargers across the street.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Ray

Off to watch the videos. Man, the last time I was at the Canyon Squire (they seem to have slightly changed the name sometime in the last 40 years) was in 1979. I brought my mom's cassette deck (without her knowledge) to make a tape of Lost Wages, who were playing there that night. Sucks that they don't keep their chargers in working order. According to PlugShare it's been broken or partly broken for 9 months now.