Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completely Blacked Out Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a black paint, black interior (with red piping b/c of performance), gray wheels, carbon fiber interior, and I plan to go as dark on the tint an all windows as possible once the car arrives (supposedly before Jan 1). I will take before and after tinting photos. It is also "illegal" here in Florida to tint the front windows beyond a certain degree, but I have not had any problems with this. Simply rolling down all windows when pulled over is the proper approach for this. The front windows cannot be tinted legally because police cannot see you as they approach the vehicle when they pull you over. As long as they can see you as they approach, I'm pretty sure they won't care about the tint. Unless you act like a d*ck after they pull you over.

In Florida I have never taken my car in for emissions testing, thus cannot testify to whether or not they might fail you for illegal tint in states that require this.

I've also considered wrapping the chrome in black and powder coating the wheels black. I'll make those decisions once I've had the car for a little while though.

Last edited:
...In Florida I have never taken my car in for emissions testing, thus cannot testify to whether or not they might fail you for illegal tint in states that require this...

In California, the emissions test people (which would never test a Tesla) could care less about window tinting. It would be the peace officers who notice suspicious tint, pull you over, and then use some sort of light meter to test the windows and decide if they can write you a "fix-it" ticket.

I don't think they go after parked cars, but rather pull over cars if they are concerned about "over-tinting."

I really wanted to murder out the S, but there is way too much chrome. Decided go with grey instead since the chrome didn't stand out quite as much compared to the black. Wheels will be grey, and winter wheels are also grey to match. Will post pictures once the car is here.

I blacked out our Mini Clubman S and it looks bada$$ but was a real pain due to all the chrome. I get a lot of positive comments, and a lot of people don't realize it's a Mini. The front badge is the only part I left chrome.

mini.JPG

I really wanted to murder out the S, but there is way too much chrome. Decided go with grey instead since the chrome didn't stand out quite as much compared to the black. Wheels will be grey, and winter wheels are also grey to match. Will post pictures once the car is here.

I blacked out our Mini Clubman S and it looks bada$$ but was a real pain due to all the chrome. I get a lot of positive comments, and a lot of people don't realize it's a Mini. The front badge is the only part I left chrome.

View attachment 13290

How do you cover up the chrome? I'm imagining my black Tesla with only the T on back in chrome. And I would love to find some blacked out tail light covers.

How do you cover up the chrome? I'm imagining my black Tesla with only the T on back in chrome. And I would love to find some blacked out tail light covers.

The Mini required a variety of methods. Front grille and side markers are JCW aftermarket parts. Headlight rings were body color painted. Door handles have body color molded covers. Filler cap was removed and replaced with a non-S filler door. Headlights were disassembled and painted (the "Joey" mod). And finally the beltline chrome was masked over with 3M electrical tape. The tape turned out surprisingly clean and fits the beltline perfectly. Would rather have removed and painted it, but the tape will do for now.

The door handles on the Model S might be the biggest challenge. Since they recede into the body doing a wrap might cause them to bind. Painting the handles might work but would need to remove them from the doors.

I am soon to finalize (12,838) and am thinking about going the completely blacked out look which is: Black paint, Black leather interior, Black tinted windows, Black or grey wheels.

Has anybody on this thread done something similar and have pictures to share? If not completely blakced out does anybody have pictures of a model s with black paint and black interior with the grey wheels?

Thanks!

I'd think twice about blacking out your side windows. While it may look cool, it can lead to safety issues with pedestrians, bicycles and other drivers who aren't sure what your intentions are. In addition, you might become more of a target for police interest.

... it can lead to safety issues with pedestrians, bicycles and other drivers who aren't sure what your intentions are. I....

Which to me would sound like a Charlie Brown teacher comment except if you are new to a silent electric car you know that the driver has to be triply aware of what going on around you. People have compared it the the awareness of a motorcylcle rider. Pedestrians and cyclists just don;t here you and do things without looking that endanger you both.

I'd think twice about blacking out your side windows. While it may look cool, it can lead to safety issues with pedestrians, bicycles and other drivers who aren't sure what your intentions are. In addition, you might become more of a target for police interest.

My BMW was blacked out (by my girlfriend) and I hated it. way to dark, but did help with the Las Vegas Heat. got rid of both GF and Tint (at the same time)

This is my take on blacked out: Dolphin grey with black/black interior. Dark grey wheels and every chrome part foiled to the same color as the wheels. Borrowed a pic from another thread here and did a quick paintbrush drawing to illustrate. Looks awesome IMO!

Tesla_zps5af041a0.jpg

TeslaII_zps7fc523f8.jpg