Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completely Disgusted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told today that Tesla will not honor ANY of the answers given to me by their inside sales person Preston. (I have a copy of the information given. On the day I have an electrical outlet installed, they tell me no you won't get air suspension, premium package lighting, etc. After Preston told me I would. I have promptly cancelled my order and I am going to cancel my model 3 reservation too. The disorganization of this company is staggering. The Model 3 would have been my 3rd Tesla, but Tesla is way to transactional to take responsibility for what their staff says or does.

Now I have a useless outlet in my garage. Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

I am really done with Tesla.....DONE.
OK

@OP - Sorry for continuing the branch topic but...

Confirmed my build on June 3rd. Had a delivery date set of late July/Early August. Day after confirming I get a call from my DS telling me they have an exact model that I built ready to go and I should take it so I can get my car sooner to enjoy it. I was ecstatic and asked a few more questions about it and I even jokingly asked "do you think there would be any changes from my build VS the April inventory model" since like I said above I am not use to these changes that can occur at anytime with Tesla. The DS said there would be no difference between the inventory build I would take VS the one I would be waiting for.

Picked up my 75D on June 16 and 2 weeks later, BAM, new motor/battery/whatever upgrade. Few weeks later, BAM LED and Air Suspension are now included (I wanted air suspension so bad but it wasn't even an option).
You seem to be assuming here that if you kept your original order (instead of going with the inventory build) that your eventual order would include the underlined. I'm pretty sure this thread and others make it pretty clear that is not a valid assumption. So, it appears, you've previously upset yourself over a theoretical future that isn't real.

Tesla really needs to find a way to make it clearer that what you order is what you get, period. And hold to it. They keep blurring the lines by giving some folks "better" (or at least "different with a higher list price") than they ordered, and then others assume they'll get an even better gift and get upset when they don't.

Tesla has a hard enough time (apparently) delivering the specs and software that they promise when you order that they need to curb buyer expectations of getting more than they actually ordered.

You don't think Tesla should honor the word their employees give to customers?

After all, they could easily honor this word by allowing a re-order with original deposit untouched.
No. All Tesla agreements (CONTRACTS THAT ARE BINDING) specifically state that NO ONE, other than having express WRITTEN authorization to do so, can modify the terms of the sales agreement. Not even Elon. And especially not Elon's tweets. :)

I've been screwed by a Tesla employee as well and I can relate to OP. This is my first Tesla purchase so I asked tons of questions to a Tesla employee as i'm new to the Tesla world. Coming from over 10 years of purchasing and dealing with BMW, the experience with Tesla was amazing and I loved it until I realized I got deceived on my purchase.

I want to make note that their employees boast the constant updates on the software and such which is what I love as a tech guy. Never once do they mention that the hardware/battery/interior etc on the vehicles are always changing as well. This is something that needs to be emphasized and educated as I am sure most customers coming in are used to the basic yearly changes other manufacturers do. This is what I am accustomed to.

Confirmed my build on June 3rd. Had a delivery date set of late July/Early August. Day after confirming I get a call from my DS telling me they have an exact model that I built ready to go and I should take it so I can get my car sooner to enjoy it. I was ecstatic and asked a few more questions about it and I even jokingly asked "do you think there would be any changes from my build VS the April inventory model" since like I said above I am not use to these changes that can occur at anytime with Tesla. The DS said there would be no difference between the inventory build I would take VS the one I would be waiting for.

Picked up my 75D on June 16 and 2 weeks later, BAM, new motor/battery/whatever upgrade. Few weeks later, BAM LED and Air Suspension are now included (I wanted air suspension so bad but it wasn't even an option). I paid for the PUP specifically for the LED and adaptive feature. I could give 2 fks about the HEPA bio defense mode. Do we live in a war zone or something?

I wrote a thorough email to Tesla and after 5 days (and sending a reminder update email) they finally replied and threw me a free 3 year service plan and thanked me for being apart of the "movement". I threw it back at them and still haven't heard from them in 4 days now. I love how when I was shopping, they reply within hours when I have questions. Now that I am a customer, it takes days to get a reply. Not enjoying my post experience with Tesla at all.

I agree that they should tell people about how the update cycle is different from standard cars. I understand that you would have liked to get the new features but it isn't fair to blame tesla for that - the salespeople may not have even known this was going to happen. Even if they did it wouldn't be practical to tell everyone to cancel their orders and reorder the new one unless their car wasn't being built yet. Traditional car companies deal with this by having model years so people know more when changes will happen. The very nature of the way tesla updates vehicle features means this could happen.

Okay if that's what you were told in writing hold them to it. I think you'll get it if you hold out because they need the sales and also because they have always honored what they've told me even if I had to remind them and make hem stick to it. Eacalate past your sales rep if you have to. Remain polite at all times but be persistent.

Tesla is not disputing what I was told. As both of us have a record of the online conversation. \

I can quote it:
"Yes you will received the smart air suspension at no additional cost"
"Ok, then you will continue to receive the premium sound and yes since the lighting has become standard on all vehicles, you will get the lighting."

Why did I get the $1000 off if I am getting the above upgrades?:
"Most likely to help compensate for the cost of the premium sound then. We have since wrapped that into our premium upgrades package."

"Now, that it is wrapped up into the premium upgrades the associated value is now $1500. So that package essentially just got cheaper, and to be fair to you, we went ahead and credited you the difference."

Quotes are verbatim what was said. Staggering disorganization.

Reactions: P100DHG.
No. All Tesla agreements (CONTRACTS THAT ARE BINDING) specifically state that NO ONE, other than having express WRITTEN authorization to do so, can modify the terms of the sales agreement. Not even Elon. And especially not Elon's tweets. :)
Rxlawdude you're confusing letter of the law with good business. Of course Tesla can give the OP what he wants - they've given me what I wanted before to keep the sale. They absolutely will bend their own rules to make a sale if you're discreet and stay polite.

I hate to say this but Tesla doesn't work that way and they do NOT communicate future changes to ANY of their frontline employees before they are made. Heck, sometimes the front line employees find out from here/press releases before official internal communication goes out...

You're experience was perfectly normal. You think you're buying a car under traditional car buying methodologies but that simply hasn't been the case with Tesla and I hope it never becomes the case with Tesla.

Jeff

I didn't ask about future changes. I asked IF there would be any changes between the inventory model they wanted me to take VS the one I had being built. I was told no. Wether the DS knew there was a change or not doesn't matter. If he knew then he obviously deceived me. If he didn't then he made a mistake and that mistake is now on my own expenses as the customer.

Well that's my point. Maybe it's perfectly normal for you but as a new customer to the Tesla brand, I don't know how Tesla operates. I am use to the traditional way cars are updated. That is why I think it's important for Tesla employees to educate new customers about how often Tesla updates their vehicles. Not just software, but hardware as well.

I was told today that Tesla will not honor ANY of the answers given to me by their inside sales person Preston. (I have a copy of the information given. On the day I have an electrical outlet installed, they tell me no you won't get air suspension, premium package lighting, etc. After Preston told me I would. I have promptly cancelled my order and I am going to cancel my model 3 reservation too. The disorganization of this company is staggering. The Model 3 would have been my 3rd Tesla, but Tesla is way to transactional to take responsibility for what their staff says or does.

Now I have a useless outlet in my garage. Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

I am really done with Tesla.....DONE.

I didn't ask about future changes. I asked IF there would be any changes between the inventory model they wanted me to take VS the one I had being built. I was told no. Wether the DS knew there was a change or not doesn't matter. If he knew then he obviously deceived me. If he didn't then he made a mistake and that mistake is now on my own expenses as the customer.

Well that's my point. Maybe it's perfectly normal for you but as a new customer to the Tesla brand, I don't know how Tesla operates. I am use to the traditional way cars are updated. That is why I think it's important for Tesla employees to educate new customers about how often Tesla updates their vehicles. Not just software, but hardware as well.

So you're premise is that because Tesla's front line employees are not abreast of the changes and couldn't foresee that the inventory model you purchased would be different than a custom order, that Tesla has somehow wronged you? This is an argument we go through each and every time Tesla makes a change to their configurations. Each and every time. What always amazes me is the little amount of research people do when spending this kind of money on a car. Now in the case of some current owners, things were changed after their order confirmed they weren't happy with (like during the changeover from AP1 to AP2 hardware), or that AP2 hasn't been as expedient as expected with regards to feature parody with AP1, those make sense... However, complaining about getting an already built inventory car and missing out on something that no one could have known about seems a bit petty to me...

Jeff

You are correct, I created a massive cloud of drama, that sank to earth under its own weight and delayed deliver of my previous order for an instock new car by 2 months early this year. Poor Tesla....what can they do when their customers have the super powers to stop ocean going freighters.

Also in a sinister plan to stay warm and make Elon look bad I bought a new home in the pacific, on an island...learned how to create clouds .and called an electrician. 120 V was not dramatic enough for me! Muah ha ha ha ha.

I'll go get help, definitely a tipping point, mahalo.

I think you should just

1.) Accept what you signed for and if anything is done on top, treat it as a bonus.

2.) Exit out of your Tesla position entirely.

3.) Transfer your order to a new build and just accept whatever term is on the paper is what you get. Even if you miss out on the Oct 1st HUD reveal. SO BE IT.

Is it that hard?

Tesla has a hard enough time (apparently) delivering the specs and software that they promise when you order that they need to curb buyer expectations of getting more than they actually ordered.

Definitely they should. Also it appears they are letting some buyers change orders for no cost and telling others their will be cost.
Unlike the OP.

I'm horrible.
I think you should just

1.) Accept what you signed for and if anything is done on top, treat it as a bonus.

2.) Exit out of your Tesla position entirely.

3.) Transfer your order to a new build and just accept whatever term is on the paper is what you get. Even if you miss out on the Oct 1st HUD reveal. SO BE IT.

Is it that hard?

I think Tesla should give out accurate info. Is it that hard?

Ummm...HUD? Not really my thing, but I am curious why you mention it.

Reactions: Eclectic
The OP is a convoluted and disjointed explanation of events. Makes no sense.

Occam's Razor tells me OP is actually a llama.

hte12.jpg

it appears the OP ordered before the change to all air suspension happened and then he felt that he was entitled to get the suspension as if he ordered after the change. I hate to sound abrupt but this is how tesla works, people have missed important upgrades before and I am sure that there will be more instances like this in the future. It is tough medicine to accept but tesla delivered what he ordered.

+ just about every tech company.

As a frequent buyer of Tesla's products, I'm can't believe it wasn't understood by the OP, that you receive what's availabile at the moment.

I think Tesla should give out accurate info. Is it that hard?

Ummm...HUD? Not really my thing, but I am curious why you mention it.

When you put it as "I think Tesla should give out accurate info" who is going to argue with you?

Point on HUD announcement is we can expect changes every quarter. Tesla does not delay on improvements and innovations.

Cute photo, but time has not been that kind to my hairline. Much less hair than that Llama. Heart sunglasses are spot on though.
With support like yours Tesla does not have to be responsible for any mistake it makes. Note: I did not force Tesla to give me incorrect information about my car, they volunteered to do that and then have taken zero responsibility thus far.

Here is another cute photo....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 98