Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completely ICEd at Ellensburg Superchargers! Grrr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the Ellensburg super charger yesterday about 7PM and none of the spots were ice'ed, neither was the J1772 diagonal from it. They were doing blasting on the pass so I elected to spend the night next door at the Quality Inn, checked the supercharger at 6:30am and none of the spots were occupied.

Even if all the spot's are iced; it looks like you could be creative and just block them in to get your charge!!!! Here's a picture I shot this morning...

WP_20140730_07_35_45_Pro.jpg

Even if you can't do that there is a J1772 charger with a nice long cord in the same lot that allows you to park in three different spots to get some charge; 199Volts at 30amps.

WP_20140729_19_50_33_Pro.jpg

Here I am parking in a space that's not even marked for parking; the cord also reach to the curb on the lower right so you can park in part of a wide lane.

So why doesn't TM use backup access from both sides of the median curbs? It would improve our chances of getting access when ICEd. Just reduce the width of those median strips or eliminate them, allowing a SC to serve either of two back-to-back parking spaces. The arched housing is already accessible from both sides.

They just painted green lines and put up 'no parking except for electric vehicle charging' signs in addition the Tesla supercharging on four of the eight Burlington, WA spots. Looks like they are starting to address this.

Last edited:
They just painted green lines and put up 'no parking except for electric vehicle charging' signs in addition the Tesla supercharging on four of the eight Bellingham, WA spots. Looks like they are starting to address this.

Whoohoo!! Bring on the fines!

I'll extend my anti-ICEing offer here as well:

If you see these ICEd again in the future, call the police ASAP.
Be sure to have the make, model and license plate number.
RCW 46.08.185...
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/supdefault.aspx?cite=46.08.185
This is what it looks like when you have done it correctly:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ou-get-ICE-d-this-is-what-it-should-look-like-!

Claim my ICEing Prize:
I will give a $100 Amazon gift card to the first person to post actual evidence of someone getting a ticket under RCW 46.08.185. Picture, time, location, experience reporting, and how long it took to get the ticket on the violator. Be sure to get a good close-up picture of the ticket so the license plate number and RCW are clearly visible as well as a picture of the violator and their license plate number. Post it here then PM me and I'll send you the Amazon Gift card as a thank you.

Last edited:
They just painted green lines and put up 'no parking except for electric vehicle charging' signs in addition the Tesla supercharging on four of the eight Bellingham, WA spots. Looks like they are starting to address this.

Burlington? I don't think there's an SC in Bellingham...

By the way, even without the green paint, it looks like people are obeying the "no parking except..." signs elsewhere in the state. I was at Campbell's in Chelan where there is a PI-NCW charger (is that Turbofroggy's? can't remember) last Sunday. The lot was very full but the charger wasn't ICEd and had a nice charging session. That space is a primo spot - if the sign wasn't there it surely would have been ICEd. In fact, none of the 4 PI-NCW chargers that I used last weekend were ICEd at all. The signs seem to work pretty well. Turbofroggy may be waiting a long time to give out the ICEing Prize.

Last edited:
Burlington? I don't think there's an SC in Bellingham...

By the way, even without the green paint, it looks like people are obeying the "no parking except..." signs elsewhere in the state. I was at Campbell's in Chelan where there is a PI-NCW charger (is that Turbofroggy's? can't remember) last Sunday. The lot was very full but the charger wasn't ICEd and had a nice charging session. That space is a primo spot - if the sign wasn't there it surely would have been ICEd. In fact, none of the 4 PI-NCW chargers that I used last weekend were ICEd at all. The signs seem to work pretty well. Turbofroggy may be waiting a long time to give out the ICEing Prize.

Yes, thank you. I wrote the wrong city and corrected my post. Haven't lived in the area too long so wrote the wrong one down.

We have any recent updates from Ellensburg? New lines? Signs?

Taking the family on a road-trip this weekend from Seattle, camping one night at Lake Easton, then onto Coeur D'Alene for a trip to Silverwood. I can't make it from Lake Easton to Ritzville so I'd need to stop at Ellensburg. Normally I wouldn't be concerned (Centralia and Woodburn are usually empty) but this site having its own thread makes me nervous! Good news is that it would be Friday morning/mid-day so hopefully the odds of getting ICE'd are minimal.

If I were by myself I'd take the chance but with three kids aged 4, 7, and 9 I'd love to not have to stop and deal with ICE'ing in the middle of a 5 hour road trip. I'm strongly considering taking our Toyota Sequoia (which has gotten lonely since purchasing the MS) just to avoid a potential delay.

We're staying at the SpringHill Suites in Coeur D'Alene and I was excited to see that they have free chargers for their guests (double-bonus if the rumored Supercharger lands up there). But by my math I'd still need to stop:
- Going: Ellensburg and Ritzville
- Coming Home: Assuming I leave Coeur D'Alene fully charged I'm pretty sure I can just stop at Ellensburg on the way home.

Thanks all.

My son goes to college in Ellensburg and I have charged there many times. I have never seen it without an open charger. I recnetly charged at night as well (after an Arcade Fire concert at the Gorge)

Nothing can be guaranteed but I would be VERY surprised if you have an issue especially with charging in the day. Town also has public 30 AMP, NEMA 50, and Roadster charger (if you have an adaptor) as back ups; not that I think any will be needed.

I stayed at the Springhill Suites in Coeur D'Alene recently. Nice hotel, very friendly staff. One charging post with two plugs. When I stayed both were used as another Tesla was there.

The SC at Ellensburg is next to a Holiday Inn. I have charged there and I expect to use Ellensburg as a vital charge place when I travel east of there next year. The attitude of the management of Holiday Inn is very disturbing if they allow ICE parking at the chargers..ANY OF THEM! It is not up to us as individuals to do battle with the motel or with the dunderheads that drive ICE and park there. Tesla has a contract with SOMEONE and already paid for the spaces on our behalf (Yes, WE have already paid to park there). Signs and police will not solve the problem; the contract holder must control the parking or be sued by Tesla. If the contract does not protect our right to park there, we have been hoodwinked by Tesla into thinking we have first rights in those spaces. Let's get it straight; do we have a case against the motel or don't we? A legal opinion would be nice about now.

I charge at Ellensburg SC every once in a while and have not found more than one or two spots ICE'd most usual is that they are all open. On December the 1st all the spots were open when I charged there. My take on this is that for free charging I'll be responsible for contacting the front desk and asking that they contact the owner of one of the ICEs and have them move it for me. The SC location in Coeur d'Lene, ID is far behind opening as scheduled because the hotel could not meet the city parking requirements for guests if they dedicated the spots to Tesla drivers. I for one would simply have recommended that the hotel "manage" the Tesla spots use them for ICEs when needed but be ready and able to contact the ICE owners when a car needed to charge. Can you appreciate the cost of dedicated spots for the few times (currently, anyway) that Tesla drivers will be charging there?

I just re-read the entire thread because I don't think this is much of a problem. It appears there was only one case on July 21 when someone was completely blocked from charging. Before and since then others have always been able to charge. I live about 100 miles from Ellensburg, but stop there when transiting to/from Seattle area. In approximately 8 times, I have only seen one instance of ICEing when a pickup towing a jet ski was parked there less than 5 minutes while the owner ran to Starbuck's while I was charging.

Since fairly frequent users, like me, always can charge there, even if one or two slots are ICEd, I don't think this a a much of an issue especially since the hotel and Tesla seem to have addressed the problem since July.

I've used Ellensburg twice in the past. The far east spot (far right if looking at the chargers) is marked for up to 30 minutes non-charging use (this is visible in the pictures elsewhere in this thread). I have seen this spot being used by ICE vehicles, but that's as marked. Otherwise I've never seen anything other than a Tesla there and most of the time it's been me and one other vehicle.

Since this thread has been resurrected from. 5 months ago just wanted to say that I did have the opportunity to speak directly to the owner of this particular hotel. He's locatd in th tri cities he was quite friendly and said that he wasn't aware of the issue but did know that during SUMMER months when they're booked they've had complaints from tesla owners at the front desk. He was quite pleasant and said that he would discuss with his manager on site and make sure they remind their patrons not to park there....so I'm not sure if things are wide open because it's the off season or....maybe they actually took my concerns to heart,,,being the optimist I'd like to think the latter..