Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completing California Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
I'm just throwing out here where I think Superchargers should eventually be placed once Tesla decides to back-fill California. We know that locations will be completed shortly in Oxnard, Indio and Truckee with permits issued to El Centro and Manteca. That still leaves a lot of rural but popular territory to cover. I will assume as a given that Primm NV is imminent, and that San Diego will get one or two as will Ontario and perhaps Riverside. There is probably a little redundancy here, but here goes:

We need a SC to access Barstow from the Valley and Harris Ranch--so maybe Bakersfield or Tehachapi or Mojave (see below)

California 99 could use a couple--for National Park access as well as for travelers who want or need to bypass Interstate 5--so maybe Visalia and Merced/Modesto.

US101 north of San Francisco should have one either in Cloverdale or Hopland/Ukiah with another in Eureka.

Quincy should have one for trans-Sierra crossing, particularly in winter to and from the Reno/Tahoe area. Jamestown/Sonora would help with Sonora Pass, Ebbets Pass or even Carson Pass.

Weaverville would make crossing the Trinity Alps along SR299 convenient to and from Redding and the Corning SC. It also opens up SR3 and SR96 to Yreka and the Mt. Shasta City SC.

The stretch between Barstow and Kingman is quite lengthy and problematic if the winds are strong or there is a thunderstorm and heavy rain. Needles is the likely candidate. (Ideally, the Kelbaker Road exit along I40 is best, but there ain't nothing there!)

Finally the Eastern Sierra along US395 seems to be the most difficult. (So many choices!) The two access highways are SR14 from the west and US395 splitting off Interstate 15 in the east. Likely there should be one at Mojave (better but poor amenities) or Lancaster along SR14 and Victorville on US395. (Victorville also might take some of the pressure off Barstow once Primm is installed.) Then Lone Pine followed by Mammoth Lakes. (I think bypassing Bishop is better.) Carson City NV would be logical followed by Susanville and Alturas.

I believe that almost the entire area of California would be reachable if SC's were placed in these (or proximate) locations.