Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completing the Newell Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So between Tesla Superchargers and the NRMA network you can go from Melbourne to Dubbo on Public charging. To get to Brisbane then requires a highly undesirable diversion to Tamworth and then up the New England Highway the net result is that. currently, if you drive an EV and want to get from Melbourne to Brisbane or vice versa the Pacific Highway is the best option (and not a bad one) but not having ready access to the Newell means it is slower than it needs to be.

Going North from Dubbo, there is a 22KW charger at a motel in Moree (requiring you to stay there, understandably) but from there to Warwick there is nothing - which means this critical stretch of the Newell is an EV ghostland.

Now that there is a public 50KW charger at Warwick, all that is required to complete a viable EV pathway via public charger from Brisbane to Melbourne via the Newell is something in Moree and Goodiwindi. There isn't even one private charger in Goodiwindi, which is a real shame.

Anyone heard of this being built? Who do we have to petition etc to make this happen?

So between Tesla Superchargers and the NRMA network you can go from Melbourne to Dubbo on Public charging. To get to Brisbane then requires a highly undesirable diversion to Tamworth and then up the New England Highway the net result is that. currently, if you drive an EV and want to get from Melbourne to Brisbane or vice versa the Pacific Highway is the best option (and not a bad one) but not having ready access to the Newell means it is slower than it needs to be.

Going North from Dubbo, there is a 22KW charger at a motel in Moree (requiring you to stay there, understandably) but from there to Warwick there is nothing - which means this critical stretch of the Newell is an EV ghostland.

Now that there is a public 50KW charger at Warwick, all that is required to complete a viable EV pathway via public charger from Brisbane to Melbourne via the Newell is something in Moree and Goodiwindi. There isn't even one private charger in Goodiwindi, which is a real shame.

Anyone heard of this being built? Who do we have to petition etc to make this happen?
The NRMA May be open to the suggestion given their current policy to install moderately fast chargers in areas of demand.

Goodiwindi would indeed be a great spot for some 3ph Destination AC chargers and DC fast chargers!

Hi Guys, Old thread I know.
Contemplating a trip Melbourne to Toowoomba. Have the black spots been filled in yet making a trip up the Newell highway from Melbourne viable?

On the NSW side, there's DC fast chargers at Narrandera, West Wyalong, Parkes, Dubbo and Coonabarabran. Nothing after that unless you switch over to the New England, though. And the Victorian side of that route is still a problem too.

Looks like the fastest in an LR right now is up the Hume to Gundagai, then to Parkes for a quick top-up at the NRMA charger (via Young and Forbes) on the way to Dubbo, then Tamworth and up the New England (NRMA charger at Glen Innes and QESH Warwick).

I stayed at the Baths MoteI in Moree a few months ago. He’s happy enough to let non-guests charge there for a suitable fee. He adds $20 for guests. Expect a tad more for passers by. And he has plenty of solar.

It’s a rather quick destination charger. And it’s literally across the street from the public pool to wait out a few hours in comfort. They also operate an old style take away store out the front of the motel.

In an SR+ you won’t make it to Warwick or Toowoomba unless you detour via the transport museum at Inverell (AC) or the NRMA charger at Glen Innes. Not a huge detour to be honest. The Cunningham Highway is just as indirect as the Gwydir Highway. That said, there are powered campsites at the Goondiwindi Showgrounds. Most showgrounds have 15 amp plugs so in an SR+ that’ll add 5% an hour.

Goondiwindi Showgrounds - Goondiwindi Region

Last edited:
Heading up from Melbourne to Moree NSW soon , seems easily doable via Young etc . I wanted to take the M3 but forecast for Moree on Monday is 45C ! Not sure if I'll take the M3 this time around as its going to be so damn hot next week. Was just making up my spare wheel to take as well...

I've never noticed my Model 3 struggle in the heat. There are more than enough chargers to let me run the air con on LO at 10.

The real question is what kind of roads do you prefer to drive on.

Freeways absolutely have their place
* Less wildlife
* Better overtaking opportunities, especially on hills

But the inland route has its advantages
* A more direct route
* More NRMA freebies
* More towns to crawl through, stop in, and stretch your legs
* Far fewer hill climbs - so less need to overtake those trucks in the first place
* Avoiding Sydney traffic, and more importantly, the F3/M1.
* Not getting gouged by toll roads in Sydney

My main recommendation is to avoid any country road that closely follows a river. The back road from Yass to Cowra to Canowindra absolutely falls in that category. I lost my first Ford Festiva to a roo strike near Cowra. And it wasn't even dusk, it was after 10pm. Roos migrate to water at dusk, and linger around water til dawn, but that's no help if the road itself is near water!

Getting from Melbourne to Albury is easy. From there I'd suggest:
* Wagga NRMA -> Young NRMA -> Parkes NRMA -> Dubbo (NRMA or Supercharger) -> Coonabarabran NRMA -> Moree; or
* Wagga NRMA -> Cowra NRMA -> Dubbo (NRMA or Supercharger) -> Coonabarabran NRMA -> Moree

I know getting through Forbes is just as bad as getting through Cowra, so take extra care around there.

Automated trip planners can only tell you so much. Try getting yank coders to understand the hazards of roos.

If you look at the NSW government supercharger rollout it has on its plan 4 chargers for Narrabri and moree for early 2023. But, even though the first round submissions finished middle of July there's still no news as to the winners and where they will be installed? I watch this space all the time because my family lives at Moree and Warialda. It's just crazy that there's no chargers installed.

Think Coonabarrabran was last to open in early 2020.

NRMA needs to consider Narrabri and Moree. As Braz says they are a bit later in the NSW Govt plans.

Qld Yurika phase 3 adds a charger in Goondiwindi. (344km from Coonabarrabran). So you definitely want one in between

Reactions: Braz