Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complimentary camera upgrade - Cameras not connected, AutoPilot does not function, Navigation stuck at Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In February many of us received a e-mail stating that our vehicles were ready to have the updated Hardware 2.5 cameras installed. During that time, I quickly scheduled service, and ended up getting this weekend to get it done. Oddly enough it's also the 5th year anniversary of owning our car. Naturally, the cosmos would align and of course give me fun problems for the weekend.

Where's my cameras.jpg

Where's my cameras?

Sentry Mode disabled.jpg

Sentry mode is not operational. Old files are still there, but nothing new, not even when honking the horn to save any videos as well.

Invoice for Camera install.jpg

(That "Verified proper operation" as my kids would say is sus.)

Looks like the cameras are the correct ones, physically inspecting the repeaters look like they are new, I can tell since my old repeaters were damaged by who knows what. (something hit the chrome piece of it on top, possibly pissed off human? no idea.)

So anyways, now AutoPilot won't activate, the cameras are black, no sentry mode, and navigation is some how stuck at the service location.

Like the kid that got a new toy but failed to check if he needed batteries I drove off the lot and went home since I had errands to run.

I've tried the following:
Press Brakes, and scroll wheel reset. x2
Press the Camera Calibration button. x1
Turn off the car via power off button. x1

I came back at 3pm, but the loaner I had was checked out. So now I drove back home again waiting for Monday to see if someone can either re-flash the firmware or if someone forgot to connect something inside to fix this issue.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or if they know how or what I can do to fix this? I just find it odd that even Navigation is not working properly.
Any other reset techniques out there?

Sounds like something came loose or wasn't connected properly. Bizarre that they would not have some validity checks after making changes tho.

When I had my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade my antenna was not properly connected and I could tell because my icon signal strength would rapidly change as I drove by the towers. They sent someone to my house to fix it.

The only other reset types of resets I know are
a) change wheel sizes; reboot; change wheel sizes back (restarts different processes than the power off)
b) disconnect the 12v for X minutes (which I did when my nav was stuck and before I learned about (a) above).

Reactions: KentuckyX
Disconnect 12 volt for a minute, see if that will cycle the das ecu and gets the cameras working again.
I can’t imagine they forgot to connect the coax on both, specially if the blinkers are working.

In February many of us received a e-mail stating that our vehicles were ready to have the updated Hardware 2.5 cameras installed. During that time, I quickly scheduled service, and ended up getting this weekend to get it done. Oddly enough it's also the 5th year anniversary of owning our car. Naturally, the cosmos would align and of course give me fun problems for the weekend.

View attachment 786406

Where's my cameras?

View attachment 786407

Sentry mode is not operational. Old files are still there, but nothing new, not even when honking the horn to save any videos as well.

View attachment 786409
(That "Verified proper operation" as my kids would say is sus.)

Looks like the cameras are the correct ones, physically inspecting the repeaters look like they are new, I can tell since my old repeaters were damaged by who knows what. (something hit the chrome piece of it on top, possibly pissed off human? no idea.)

So anyways, now AutoPilot won't activate, the cameras are black, no sentry mode, and navigation is some how stuck at the service location.

Like the kid that got a new toy but failed to check if he needed batteries I drove off the lot and went home since I had errands to run.

I've tried the following:
Press Brakes, and scroll wheel reset. x2
Press the Camera Calibration button. x1
Turn off the car via power off button. x1

I came back at 3pm, but the loaner I had was checked out. So now I drove back home again waiting for Monday to see if someone can either re-flash the firmware or if someone forgot to connect something inside to fix this issue.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or if they know how or what I can do to fix this? I just find it odd that even Navigation is not working properly.
Any other reset techniques out there?
Not exactly what I experienced, but after my camera retrofit last week, nothing cruise control related would engage, the headlights stayed on during the day, my auto wipers weren't functioning correctly and the screen brightness was messed up. When the ranger came back out, it was a 5 minute fix - the front camera array was not fully plugged in. Apparently, it's a tough connection for bigger hands to get to. The second ranger had smaller hands. If you were comfortable enough with popping the camera cover off (it's a 2-piece thing), you could try unplugging and replugging that connection.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Thanks for all your responses everyone. I tried the wheel config change and restart, That did not do anything unfortunately. I haven't unplugged the 12v yet, I'll have to try that tomorrow or tonight. (just need to unplug the negative terminal with a 10mm correct?) I did have contact with someone from Tesla that said that they ran a diagnostic and did not find anything wrong and told me to drive around for 30 minutes to sync up with the satellites, I was already out, so that wasn't a problem, and as I thought, it unfortunately did not fix my issue.

I am probably a bit uncomfortable to unplug my front camera, Any videos on this, I'll try looking up youtube. Thanks again everyone.

12 volt reset, indeed the negative terminal, after that disconnect the first responder loop. Putting it back, start with the loop, end with the negative terminal
Service manual picts on doing the First responder loop.

Well I didn't bother with the 12v to reset and brought back to the Service Center.
This is what they wrote on the invoice.

Verified Camera operation is nominal. Replaced Autopilot computer due to internal faults. Verified proper operation of computer and camera function. Client will need to perform drive calibration. mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: driverAssistanceCameras&Sensors
activityType: COMMON

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction Vehicle Confiruration Update

Correction: Module - Autopilot - ECU - 3rd Generation (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added

Part
ASSY.AUTOPILOT.ECU.3.0,
MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I)

This resolved my issue. With the issue on the navigation they said to just keep rebooting, but I don't think this is the solution in this case since I did that multiple times.

Anyways, this is resolved, now back to attempting to raise my score and hoping to get into FSD Beta like everyone else.