Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complimentary camera upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having an upgrade to MCU2 and HW3.0 to my 2017S75 in 2 weeks, and I have requested the complimentary camera upgrade also. How long should it take to receive the cameras at the service center, how long should the service take, how are the new cameras different and what difference will I see once they're installed. TIA

Once I get my MCU2 and HW3 upgrades, I will qualify for the complimentary camera upgrades. Should I initiate the requested upgrade from my service center or wait for them to notify me? Can they be done as a mobile service appointment?

Once I get my MCU2 and HW3 upgrades, I will qualify for the complimentary camera upgrades. Should I initiate the requested upgrade from my service center or wait for them to notify me? Can they be done as a mobile service appointment?

If you are not in a hurry, just wait for them to remind you. If you want your camera upgraded some time before you sell your car, it's a good idea to book it up right now.

...How long should it take to receive the cameras at the service center...

Unknown especially during pandemic and also would you think Tesla would prioritize retrofitting or placing them in assembly line to collect more money?

...how long should the service take...,

I would guess an hour or more.

...how are the new cameras different and what difference will I see once they're installed. TIA
You won't know by looking at them. You might notice if you compare the old vs new coloration of the video footage.

My 2017S75 should qualify for complimentary cameras upgrade I purchased the car in 5/17 and paid for full FSD; also I’m having my free MCU2?and HW3 upgraded in 2 weeks. I inquired about the cameras but the tech said he doesn’t”think” I qualify😡. Could it just be because I haven’t got the upgrades yet?

...doesn’t”think”...
No need to think. Just show Tesla staff the Tesla blog:

Reactions: KineticTezzy
My 2017S75 should qualify for complimentary cameras upgrade I purchased the car in 5/17 and paid for full FSD; also I’m having my free MCU2?and HW3 upgraded in 2 weeks. I inquired about the cameras but the tech said he doesn’t”think” I qualify😡. Could it just be because I haven’t got the upgrades yet?

Free MCU2 and HW3 upgrade? How dis that happen?

My bad! The HW3 is free. MCU2 is $1,500. Wishful thinking - Freudian slip. 🥴. So why don‘t I qualify for free camera upgrades?
Probably because you have to first have MCU2 at the moment to qualify, and currently you do not. The. They have to send you an "invite" for the camera upgrade, THEN they will do it.

I agree it should be done during your service visit but it likely won't happen since the parts haven't been allocated for that for your S

I got the invite a month ago for camera upgrade and I bought my MCU2 6 months ago. My camera invite was like 2 months after applying for FSD beta immediately and holding a driving score of 98 for like 3 weeks. You might have to wait till upgrade is installed and you maintain the right safety score

You can't request camera upgrades right now (unless you want to pay for them yourself). You have to wait until you are invited.

Des anyone know if you must maintain the stupid score… oops safety score until you magically get invited for camera updates?

I had a mobile service visit recently for the hood latch recall, and had added “update cameras for FSD” but they deleted that item and said “yu have to be invited for new cameras before we can schedule installation”.
Grrrrrrr. WTF?

I got the invite a month ago for camera upgrade and I bought my MCU2 6 months ago. My camera invite was like 2 months after applying for FSD beta immediately and holding a driving score of 98 for like 3 weeks. You might have to wait till upgrade is installed and you maintain the right safety score
Did you do anything to ”request” the camera update? Seriously, I don’t get the process
service expects us to follow. Scheduling mobile service for a recall item, and adding ”replace cameras for FSD” got me “you need to be invited first”.

Do you first request FSD beta, then wait to get invited, then next request camera upgrades?
And maintain your stupid score at 98+ the whole time?? Arrrrth.

Last edited:
Des anyone know if you must maintain the stupid score… oops safety score until you magically get invited for camera updates?

I had a mobile service visit recently for the hood latch recall, and had added “update cameras for FSD” but they deleted that item and said “yu have to be invited for new cameras before we can schedule installation”.
Grrrrrrr. WTF?
Tesla claims that they are inviting people by safety score, so yes it does appear that you need a safety score. However, there are many owners with high safety scores who have not been invited. Personally, I haven't opted in yet - waiting until there's more supply of cameras and FSD beta improves more.

Reactions: pilotSteve