Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive insurance claim and premium increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A shelf in my garage fell on my tailgate (MS 90D 2016) yesterday, dented the metal and scratched the paint I am thinking about filing a comprehensive claim with my insurance if the repair would cost more than $1000.

Has anyone filed a comprehensive claim with their insurance and if so did the premium go up significantly? I have Progressive. Thanks a lot.

Don't have Progressive, but filed a comprehensive claim 2 days after picking up my 85D. Had an encounter with a coyote with a death wish on the interstate on the drive back from Phoenix from picking up my CPO. It has been less than 6 months, but was told by the agent it wouldn't affect my rates.

Reactions: FlyF4
A shelf in my garage fell on my tailgate (MS 90D 2016) yesterday, dented the metal and scratched the paint I am thinking about filing a comprehensive claim with my insurance if the repair would cost more than $1000.

Has anyone filed a comprehensive claim with their insurance and if so did the premium go up significantly? I have Progressive. Thanks a lot.
The wife (knows a LOT about this stuff) said to just call the agent and ask. What he/she knows is not something that goes any higher up.
As a side note, she hates Progressive Flow woman and her company. I almost got slapped just to ask her this :)

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
In general a single comprehensive claim won't affect your rates. I have to caution though, one year I had 3 (!) comprehensive claims and that absolutely caused a rate increase. When in doubt, ask, but then again what they say won't be legally binding anyway….

Reactions: FlyF4
Don't file a claim, it'll cost you more in the long run. You probably have a $1000 deductible so you'll already be covering most of the cost.

Most Homeowners insurance has some sort of "Safe Homeowner" discount that kicks in after 5 years of no claims. As soon as you have a claim (Non-weather related), your premium will go up for, at least, five years. Call your agent and have an honest conversation before filling a claim, see what the impact would be. You can't unring the bell once it's filed.

I had some electronics stolen while on a vacation. Everyone suggested I file a claim against my homeowners. I talked to my agent and did the math, $2000 with of laptop and iPads replaced would have cost $4000 in premium increase.

Auto insurance will not cover something like this if it happened in your garage.

Last edited: