TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Comprehensive Insurance Cover

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by azzuhri, Jul 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. azzuhri

azzuhri Member

Hi Everyone,

My 85D should be arriving next month. Just wondering which insurance company would be the best? I have tried calling a few, only a handful offer them and those that do are charging in excess of $5000...

Some feedback would be great, thanks

Cheers

Azzuhri

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Hi Azzuhri, welcome to the Forum.
    We have a local thread discussing the topic here: Model S Insurance in Australia
    My Model S is insured through NRMA so perhaps start with your local motoring association.

3. raynewman

raynewman Member

For my Model S 85, I found YOUI best at $780 PA.

4. Isbrown

Isbrown Member

Youi would not quote me, at least not using their online system. Although I'm getting a P85D I selected P85 (the closest they had) and the message (after completing all the rubbish) said they could not quote me due to the high value of the car.

5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

My policy is with Youi. Online at the time no dice. But on the phone, yes. They are very high pressure people though. Expect the phone call to last at least 45 mins!! Their price was right but not as low as quoted above. Nevertheless I accepted their quote.

6. azzuhri

azzuhri Member

Thanks for that, I did try YOUI but they said they would not even quote me one due to the high price of the car. So far I only have got CGU but they are quoting me $4500!!

7. lennier

lennier Member

Yes some of them are just ludicrous. As others have mentioned try your local equivalent of the RACV/NRMA, they generally seem to be pretty reasonable and are fairly reputable as far as insurance companies go. Shannons are in a similar boat. I know some people have done well with Youi but their sales process is so disgusting I refuse to do business with them on principle. And god knows what they'd be like to deal with if you actually had to make a claim.

8. raynewman

raynewman Member

I made a claim on YOUI for my other car - no problem at all.

9. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Good to hear, I confess I was worried.

10. azzuhri

azzuhri Member

Thanks for that, must have missed it.

11. Funhouse

Funhouse Member

Could be worse - I was quoted $12,432.33 by AAMI. And the best part is that they keep sending me emails reminding me the quote is still valid and inviting me to take up their offer!

12. Mark E

Mark E Member

Was that for 12 Teslas?

13. Funhouse

Funhouse Member

When she quoted the price over the phone, I felt like saying "I'm only asking for a quote for one year, not ten years."

14. azzuhri

azzuhri Member

Hi All

If you are residing in Adelaide, two of the best options for insurance are Suncorp and RAA. Both are under $2000 depending on the options you choose. Suncorp went as low as $1400 per annum, which is pretty good.

15. paulp

paulp Member

I got mine in Adelaide from qbe for under $1500, but you have to also consider location and the policy fine print. This one has a 2 year car replacement if written off, and includes learner driver (daughter). Further my wife has a habit of using the insurance, so the excess was important to me. The excess that history tells me I will need is a significant risk.