Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive insurance recommendations in NSW Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sarsh

Jun 28, 2021
Sydney
Hi,

about receive my M3P and most of the insurance companies in Australia don’t seem to speak Tesla.
Please let me know if you have found a good Aussie comprehensive insurer for your model 3.

thanks

Hi,

about receive my M3P and most of the insurance companies in Australia don’t seem to speak Tesla.
Please let me know if you have found a good Aussie comprehensive insurer for your model 3.

thanks
NRMA should do it. I am in VIC but am with RACV. same same isn't it? I've also seen Tesla Tom compare some insurance companies on YT. CommInsure was my other one that I tried. YMMV

My suggestion is jump online and go through the quote proces for the major insurers. You’ll quickly find out whether they cover Tesla or not. Quotes vary hugely depending on where you live, individual circumstances and level of cover required. (FWIW, I’m with APIA. Which partly gives my age away 😊)

Check the PDS before committing so that you know exactly what you’ll be covered for, and make sure you include excess-free glass cover!

I went with GIO as they had lifetime new for old. I wouldn't want a payout just another Model 3 with exact same specs please. Other things that swayed me was choice of repairer and glass cover.

Can't wait for Tesla insurance! Having insurance via the Tesla app adjusted monthly based on driving habits sound amazing.

This might be a bit of an obscure question - but what happens if there are no authorised Tesla repairers in your area? I live in Newcastle, and there is no listed repairers here. So if I am in an accident, and I am with NRMA for example, and they want to use their authorised repairer, how am I meant to know that they are qualified/know what they are doing with an EV?

This might be a bit of an obscure question - but what happens if there are no authorised Tesla repairers in your area? I live in Newcastle, and there is no listed repairers here. So if I am in an accident, and I am with NRMA for example, and they want to use their authorised repairer, how am I meant to know that they are qualified/know what they are doing with an EV?
I’ve used Semits locally for some minor paint work and they have had a few of the local Telsas. They said that Tesla are really good with phone support and instructions for repairers

Thanks for these recommendations. I will definitely keep them noted down.

However I am more concerned about a more serious accident where there is more damage to the Tesla. What happens in those situations?

Williams Body Works at Warners Bay is a newly approved smash repairer in Newcastle. They just haven't made the Tesla website yet. A fellow Tesla owner had a 2 1/2 hour discussion with them and said they're very passionate about their work.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Don't use anything backed by Auto & General. Nothing but problems. I was told when I subscribed that I didn't need choice of repairer because all the authorized Tesla panel beaters I was interested where on the authorized list. When making a claim they suddenly denied this. Had to get my car assessed before repairs because they didn't know how to handle the Tesla. This process took months with broken promises to get back to me and finger pointing between the various departments/parties. Before I could even book repairs, which took several more months. 19 months after accident they rang me out of the blue and said that the other driver was still disputing the claim, and they wanted more information. Huh? We told them the exact same thing as before. So far they haven't called again to get the requested information. So far we have been found not-at-fault, but they have never been able to give me positive confirmation this will not change in the future. But after almost 2 years going to assume for now that is the case.

In comparison, the previous claim I had made with the QBE backed Tesla insurance (I think this no longer exists) was a total breeze.

Also make sure you have a working dash cam. Test it regularly to ensure you really can get working video clips from it. I had a Thinkware F770. But didn't realize it wasn't getting date/time correctly from GPS[1]. Which meant recordings were being saved with the wrong date/time, and new recordings were being deleted instead of old recordings. We had no recordings of the accident, which would have been very useful thing to have when the other driver seemed to be in total denial as to what happened.

Have changed to RACV insurance now. Maybe they charge a little bit more. But if it avoids the never ending drama I had with A&G it will be totally worth it.

[1] I suspect GPS Time Rollover Failures Keep Happening (But They're Almost Done) - Stephen Foskett, Pack Rat was the issue, and the software couldn't cope. I looked for software updates and found there weren't any. I had to discard that camera as I couldn't get it working properly again.

Prestige were supposed to be opening in the area: I haven't checked recently though.

Don't use anything backed by Auto & General. Nothing but problems. I was told when I subscribed that I didn't need choice of repairer because all the authorized Tesla panel beaters I was interested where on the authorized list. When making a claim they suddenly denied this. Had to get my car assessed before repairs because they didn't know how to handle the Tesla. This process took months with broken promises to get back to me and finger pointing between the various departments/parties. Before I could even book repairs, which took several more months. 19 months after accident they rang me out of the blue and said that the other driver was still disputing the claim, and they wanted more information. Huh? We told them the exact same thing as before. So far they haven't called again to get the requested information. So far we have been found not-at-fault, but they have never been able to give me positive confirmation this will not change in the future. But after almost 2 years going to assume for now that is the case.

In comparison, the previous claim I had made with the QBE backed Tesla insurance (I think this no longer exists) was a total breeze.

Also make sure you have a working dash cam. Test it regularly to ensure you really can get working video clips from it. I had a Thinkware F770. But didn't realize it wasn't getting date/time correctly from GPS[1]. Which meant recordings were being saved with the wrong date/time, and new recordings were being deleted instead of old recordings. We had no recordings of the accident, which would have been very useful thing to have when the other driver seemed to be in total denial as to what happened.

Have changed to RACV insurance now. Maybe they charge a little bit more. But if it avoids the never ending drama I had with A&G it will be totally worth it.

[1] I suspect GPS Time Rollover Failures Keep Happening (But They're Almost Done) - Stephen Foskett, Pack Rat was the issue, and the software couldn't cope. I looked for software updates and found there weren't any. I had to discard that camera as I couldn't get it working properly again.
This is why I use a broker. He manages the claims for me, and the insurer wants all his business so they make it easy. Insurers dont care so much if they lose a single income customer

We have just got our car back from a very lengthy repair after a fairly serious 'not at fault' accident which occurred in March. Repair bill was north of $50K i think. Some might ask why it wasn't written off but getting another Model X at the moment would be difficult. The car did not suffer any serious impact, a glaziers truck sideswiped it at highway speeds and opened up the aluminium panels along the drivers side like a sardine can.

I echo the point about about making sure your dashcam is working all the time. You never know when this kind of thing will happen. I ended up sending the insurer a short clip from the drivers side rear facing camera that showed all the pertinent details right up to the point when it was torn from the car.

Our insurer (Comminsure) assessed and approved the claim very quickly, no excess required. However our policy only covered a rental car for 2 weeks. Fortunately the other party's insurer then stepped in and provided a rental for the next 5 months. Admittedly it was a Nissan X Trail and the novelty of driving last century's technology wore off quite quickly (within about 10 seconds). It was a great day when we finally picked her up from the repairers and we are very happy with the job.

My main beef with the whole process was the length of time required to get parts from Tesla. I am not sure about getting Model 3 parts but a lot of bits for the X needed to come from the US which seems to take forever.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic