Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive insurance recommendations in NSW Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m with APIA for Comprehensive (inc. glass) and did a cursory online quote check with other insurers and they are still the best for me.

BUT the 2 years “new for old” is about to end, so the policy will revert to agreed value in the event of a write-off. And the default agreed value they have put on my policy seems rather… insulting.

Is $68k fair for a 2-year old Model 3 LR? That’s a rather staggering 28% depreciation if so. Some free online market value sites claim a range $68k to $86k, so it looks like APIA picked the bottom end.

Thoughts? What are others getting as ”agreed value” for LR after 2 years?

Reactions: Hungry Mile
That's their proposed value based on formula that hasn't been adjusted for the madness that is the current agreed value. Given it's an agreed value, call them and ask them to change it to what you believe is a more appropriate value, if it's within their allowable range they'll accept it and adjust your premium to suit the new agreed value.

This might be a bit of an obscure question - but what happens if there are no authorised Tesla repairers in your area? I live in Newcastle, and there is no listed repairers here. So if I am in an accident, and I am with NRMA for example, and they want to use their authorised repairer, how am I meant to know that they are qualified/know what they are doing with an EV?
Williams in Walker Street Warners Bay is the local Tesla approved repairer

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and OzVic
If you have other policies with NRMA then the 15% discount helps, I have home policies and NRMA membership so my RWD at 77000 agreed value is 1911 per year and the LR is agreed at 90000 for 2287 per year. Both policies are the Comprehensive Plus which I believe is the top cover at NRMA

Hope that helps.

When getting quotes, its always cheaper to insure with market value than agreed value.

But what happens in a claim when the market value may be higher than the purchase price like it is today?

Do they actually pay out real market replacement value if it's $10k over RRP?

When getting quotes, its always cheaper to insure with market value than agreed value.

Not if you say “market value” is higher than ”agreed value” and want to insure it for the higher amount.

But what happens in a claim when the market value may be higher than the purchase price like it is today?

Do they actually pay out real market replacement value if it's $10k over RRP?

Depends on the policy. If you have “new for old” replacement (typically only applies for the first 2 years of ownership) then agreed or market value is irrelevant. If your car is totaled, you get a new car that is as close as possible to the one you had.

After that, if your car it totaled, you’ll get a payout of whatever insured amount is on the policy. Doesn’t matter how that number was arrived at, the insured amount is the insured amount. End of.

You don’t have to accept the insurer’s “agreed value”. I didn’t last year when my Model 3 insurance came up for renewal at the end of my 2-year “new for old” cover. The “agreed value“ offered was insulting and out of whack with market prices, so I added $10k to it
(and paid a slightly higher premium) so that I could cover the purchase of a new LR if mine ever got totaled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Depends on the policy. If you have “new for old” replacement (typically only applies for the first 2 years of ownership) then agreed or market value is irrelevant. If your car is totaled, you get a new car that is as close as possible to the one you had.
To add to your "depends on the policy" point, it's important that everybody reads their PDS when it comes to "new for old replacement". Some insurers have clauses that specify only if they can source you a replacement within X months, which with the current wait times means that this feature isn't an option.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok