Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive List of Model 3 Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like recent models are now missing dead pedals and frunk bag hooks...

Not all changes are improvements apparently.
I disagree with you on the dead pedal removal. My dead pedal is wayyy too big and takes away precious leg/foot room. Granted I'm 6'4 with size 15 shoes so I'm going to notice this more than others. I've been planning on removing mine, think I garnered enough Intel on YouTube on removing the panels to try

Not sure this is worth adding to OP's list but somewhere they upgraded the charge port from freezing.
I think they had several attempts to trying to upgrade a pin vs the whole thing.
Maybe they went back to just a better pin in the original design. Not sure what ended up in production when.

2018:
  • Q1/18: Suspension Spring improved
  • 07/18: Rear Pano glass IR coating changed
Regarding suspension, is this referring to the suspension being made less firm?

Regarding the Rear glass IR coating change, is this referring to the lack of red hue on the rear glass when wet? If so, I'm not sure if this was a rolling change or a case of multiple suppliers, but mine has the red rear glass, but was built in 11/18.

The new ones have a bracket the frame is mounted to. The original (pre-12-18) had frame screwed into trunk w/o bracket.

Can the bracket be retrofitted to older cars? I'm guessing it's not possible because the connection points are different between bracket and no-bracket trunklids.

My i3 has a bracket and it's great. The lack of bracket (and only getting two bolts) resulted in the plate scratching the paint on my 3, so I'd prefer the bracket.

HEY GUYS, I made a Model 3 wiki per recommendation from @Randy Spencer and @Trevor B .

Feel free to update this as needed.
Model 3 Production Changes

Not sure this is worth adding to OP's list but somewhere they upgraded the charge port from freezing.
I think they had several attempts to trying to upgrade a pin vs the whole thing.
Maybe they went back to just a better pin in the original design. Not sure what ended up in production when.

That is worth mentioning IMO.

Regarding suspension, is this referring to the suspension being made less firm?

Regarding the Rear glass IR coating change, is this referring to the lack of red hue on the rear glass when wet? If so, I'm not sure if this was a rolling change or a case of multiple suppliers, but mine has the red rear glass, but was built in 11/18.

I believe it was a ride quality adjustment probably to make it less firm as you expect. I think the Model 3 was originally designed to be a "drivers" car i.e. sports car-ish but they shifted it bit more into more general family sedan.

The rear glass IR coat, is simply the lack of red hue with multiple suppliers. My car built in 08/18 does not have it on the rear pano glass but has it on the top sunroof glass. I heard more recent models do not have it anywhere but they're bringing it back.

Can the bracket be retrofitted to older cars? I'm guessing it's not possible because the connection points are different between bracket and no-bracket trunklids.

My i3 has a bracket and it's great. The lack of bracket (and only getting two bolts) resulted in the plate scratching the paint on my 3, so I'd prefer the bracket.

AFAIK nope it cannot be updated.

Reactions: mswlogo
I disagree with you on the dead pedal removal. My dead pedal is wayyy too big and takes away precious leg/foot room. Granted I'm 6'4 with size 15 shoes so I'm going to notice this more than others. I've been planning on removing mine, think I garnered enough Intel on YouTube on removing the panels to try
To be more specific, the dead pedal itself still exists but is no longer covered. Therefore, you have still have a problem because it gets in your way and everyone else who uses it will now wear out the carpet covering it unless they get a mat to cover it.

You can see the new iteration of the dead pedal below w/ new mat. I think it looks pretty dumb.
and yes, they changed the dead pedal & mat

View attachment 472938

Reactions: 0ptions
Nice! Thanks @Jedi2155 for setting this up.
I made some edits with links to confirmations of recent changes (Removal of frunk bag hooks, removal of dead pedal cover) and reports of/ possible confirmation (removal of door pocket lights)

Those are all negative changes if you ask me.

One change I noted between my 4/19 build and my friend’s 7/19 build is there’s some plastic in the trunk that needs to be removed if you want to replace those dim-af trunk lights with the e.g. Abstract Ocean ones. Mine was just bending back the material like all the YouTube videos showed. My buddy’s 7/19 wasn’t quite as simple, but still easily doable.

I believe it was a ride quality adjustment probably to make it less firm as you expect. I think the Model 3 was originally designed to be a "drivers" car i.e. sports car-ish but they shifted it bit more into more general family sedan.

Gotcha, I figured that's what you were referring to.

The rear glass IR coat, is simply the lack of red hue with multiple suppliers. My car built in 08/18 does not have it on the rear pano glass but has it on the top sunroof glass. I heard more recent models do not have it anywhere but they're bringing it back.

Right, I'm questioning if there was an exact switchover, or if maybe there were multiple suppliers with some still getting the red hue because mine built in 11/18 has the red rear glass (and top) and that's after the generally accepted date that it went away.

AFAIK nope it cannot be updated.

I figured as much. I've only seen a bad picture of one on FB, but it looks like the bolts are more near the middle of the new ones.