Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I no longer own Tesla.
And I would suggest the constant sloppy state of software and half baked functions are why some that currently own a Tesla won't own another one, it's not going to change and I think we need to accept that.
I must admit I didn't think they would be this bad before I owned the car, but then you see how Elon thinks and you can see that attitude has crept into the software departments.
It will be a real wake up call for them when they want to start shipping partially working and unstable software to shipping companies relying on their Semi's, a whole new ball game.

Reactions: aesculus
Basically, being an owner since 2013, what I have learned is that a feature (software or hardware) is prioritized and released if and only if Elon personally is excited by it or wants it. A feature that does not excite/interest him personally does not get prioritized. In 2012, he was fascinated by a car playing music natively off a usb stick. In 2015 he was excited by streaming music. In 2020 he is excited by gaming in the car - so other features, no matter how trivially easy to implement, will be retired.

In 2020 he is excited by gaming in the car - so other features, no matter how trivially easy to implement, will be retired.
I think the main issue for most of us with older cars is media functions that once worked no longer do.
I understand your point and agree but I'm not complaining about lack of games etc, I'm complaining that when updates are released they break things and don't seem to want to fix it (well certainly not in a hurry). I would accept this from a $50 Chinese Ebay phone, not a 'luxury' car.

Anyone here have an MCU1/AP1 car that has had the MCU2 Infotainment upgrade? Still missing album art?
I don't but USB album art is still missing with update 2020.48.37.1 , I only recently updated to this one so I'm not sure what else they've broken yet (I know what they haven't fixed obviously).

@aesculus 2017 Model S. Just upgraded to 2021.4.6, but I have had 13 upgrades since last September and have never seen what you are describing on my software...ever (since I bought the car in March 2017)
Does version 2021.4.6 fix the USB album art missing bug with MCU1 cars?

I just upgraded from 2018.28.5 to 2020.48.35.5. That's not a typo. Yes I had the same software for the last 3 years.

The V8.1 USB player showed a grid of embedded album art making it very easy to find stuff and not be distracted while driving. The new interface is just a text list. Might as well be an old style adm3a terminal or DOS window. And non of the artwork displays even on the main player screen. How can something this important and obvious be allowed to break like this and stay broken for 6 months (so far?)?

Has everyone here filed bugs and contacted Tesla? Anyone gotten any responses?

They've added some new cool features with MCU2 and I really like having Spotify and video streaming. And it is faster than MCU1. But honestly, the UI is just simply worse. It feels like from a UI evolution standpoint, it's just a constantly going backwards with every release.

Reactions: supratachophobia
I don't but USB album art is still missing with update 2020.48.37.1 , I only recently updated to this one so I'm not sure what else they've broken yet (I know what they haven't fixed obviously).

Does version 2021.4.6 fix the USB album art missing bug with MCU1 cars?

I was thinking the AP1 cars that have a 2021.x x software were just the MCU2 upgraded ones, but I could be wrong.

OK, well this is a way worse than I thought. I catastrophe in fact. The USB player is completely unusable.

1. USB music no longer shows up in search results. This was a big issue a long time ago and Tesla finally added this back in V7 or V8 and it was a massive improvement to the USB interface.
  2. Half my albums aren't grouping by album anymore so under the album tab, there are x duplicates of each album if there are x songs. Even if I can manage to find the first track, the album will just play random stuff after the first track. This is VERY unfortunate.
  3. Leaving an album and going back to the list resets the list to the top EVERY time.
The USB player is practically unusable in this state. I am SOOO bummed.

OK, well this is a way worse than I thought. I catastrophe in fact. The USB player is completely unusable.
It's kind of sad how one of the most 'look at me' things of the interior in a Tesla S/X is also the source of nearly all frustration and sadness for owners, one day I will lose it and put my fist through the MCU screen. Welcome to the misery of MCU1 and new Tesla software, today mine was so bad that I could only listen to AM or FM radio, Spotify had the spinning wheel, USB froze 20 seconds into a song and TuneIn sounds so bad I don't ever bother.
I am 100% convinced they don't even test releases on older hardware now, or if they do they just don't care enough to attempt to fix it.

It's kind of sad how one of the most 'look at me' things of the interior in a Tesla S/X is also the source of nearly all frustration and sadness for owners, one day I will lose it and put my fist through the MCU screen. Welcome to the misery of MCU1 and new Tesla software, today mine was so bad that I could only listen to AM or FM radio, Spotify had the spinning wheel, USB froze 20 seconds into a song and TuneIn sounds so bad I don't ever bother.
I am 100% convinced they don't even test releases on older hardware now, or if they do they just don't care enough to attempt to fix it.

MCU1 wouldn't have been an option for me. Had they not had the MCU2 upgrade, I would have just sold it after I was forced to update to V10 due to a failing charge port. MCU2 is faster for sure and it's nice being able to watch videos while supercharging but honestly the UI is SOOOO much worse than V8 was in almost every respect. It's like they started with the future and just kept going back in time.

Just installed 2021.4.11 with the "advanced updates" switch set which makes this bleeding edge. This update fixes NONE of the existing USB issues, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear as I just received the update this morning. I could live without artwork but search/sound quality is just not the same as it used to be. Dolby surround eliminated and replaced with a series of choices that doesn't change the sound one iota.

Just installed 2021.4.11 with the "advanced updates" switch set which makes this bleeding edge. This update fixes NONE of the existing USB issues, unfortunately.
And this is the sad reality of the modern Tesla experience, the regularly introduced bugs that no longer get attended to. It's almost like the person running the place has the attention span of an ant ;)

I am off to the SC tomorrow to take care of some recall issues. I have not installed 2020.48.37.1 because I want to keep my artwork. I fully expect them to throw me under the bus and update the fw. :(:mad:
Well I am happy to report the SC did not update my FW. I did not even mention wanting to keep it as you really have no control anyway.

So either they did not care about it or were not required to do it. Not sure but happy to retain my current version.