Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reset using BertL approach (thanks Bert for your advice and contribution to this topic).

• Loaded 90 Gb; 5 key folders, 26 level 1 folders, 61 level 2 folders, 58 level 3 folders. 160 total albums. Takes about 2 minutes to load in vehicle.

• Used Music Tag Editor (same artist, album artist, album, year, art work, track order (used auto increase to start at 01, etc.) in combo with renaming files and now all albums load and play in order properly. I had to re-name actual filename of album songs 01, 02, 03 i.e. 01 In the Air Tonight.flac, etc vs. 1, 2, 3 in order to get songs to play in the right album order. Otherwise, it would play 1, 10, 11, etc. (music tag editing wasn't the only fix). Also, found that either a JPG or PDF in the file folder could be used to "tag" art for entire album. Somehow previous to dong this work, my Patriot had been "corrupted" with extraneous file art assigned to songs, etc.

• Still have problem of UI artist showing all songs vs. allowing you to see albums without going to Folder pathway. However, decided to change name of each album placing the artists first two initials before album. i.e. PC_Face Value for Phil Collins album, FS_Come Fly with Me, FS_Only the Lonely, for Frank Sinatra albums etc. so that when accessing the USB UI I could at least see the albums grouped around artist.

Spent a lot of time doing this but hey I'm older and retired so time loss didn't bother me as much......

Reset using BertL approach (thanks Bert for your advice and contribution to this topic).

• Loaded 90 Gb; 5 key folders, 26 level 1 folders, 61 level 2 folders, 58 level 3 folders. 160 total albums. Takes about 2 minutes to load in vehicle.

• Used Music Tag Editor (same artist, album artist, album, year, art work, track order (used auto increase to start at 01, etc.) in combo with renaming files and now all albums load and play in order properly. I had to re-name actual filename of album songs 01, 02, 03 i.e. 01 In the Air Tonight.flac, etc vs. 1, 2, 3 in order to get songs to play in the right album order. Otherwise, it would play 1, 10, 11, etc. (music tag editing wasn't the only fix). Also, found that either a JPG or PDF in the file folder could be used to "tag" art for entire album. Somehow previous to dong this work, my Patriot had been "corrupted" with extraneous file art assigned to songs, etc.

• Still have problem of UI artist showing all songs vs. allowing you to see albums without going to Folder pathway. However, decided to change name of each album placing the artists first two initials before album. i.e. PC_Face Value for Phil Collins album, FS_Come Fly with Me, FS_Only the Lonely, for Frank Sinatra albums etc. so that when accessing the USB UI I could at least see the albums grouped around artist.

Spent a lot of time doing this but hey I'm older and retired so time loss didn't bother me as much......

Are you saying that you are getting album art to load via a .jpg or... I assume you mean .png file in the directory? This would be counter to what folks were experiencing further up thread but would be very welcome if true. Could you expand on what you mean by "corrupted" with extraneous files? Sometimes I end up with multiple album art pictures in a directory. Is that what you mean?

I'm not going to go through the trouble (yet) of renaming/re-tagging my music collection or restructuring my USB drives, but if I can do some clean-up to get Album Art to display again, I'd be... less unhappy, I guess.

Does Gracenotes no longer provide Album Art for USB? I can't seem to find where this was discussed earlier. It certainly does not fetch art (even incorrect art like before) for my collection.

Beat me to it. For those wondering, EFI is EFI system partition - Wikipedia and well-behaving OSes (ahem) just hide that partition. You can safely ignore it, or as @cynix says, try MBR if it's driving you crazy.
...problem is, it showed up in my MS with only an official Apple USB cable installed, with nothing on the other end to format. :) Reboot of the CID got rid of it 2.36.108, but now that I'm on 2.38.19, a reboot does not get rid of it as long as the cable is in place.

pdf embedded.jpg
patriot picture.jpg
Are you saying that you are getting album art to load via a .jpg or... I assume you mean .png file in the directory? This would be counter to what folks were experiencing further up thread but would be very welcome if true. Could you expand on what you mean by "corrupted" with extraneous files? Sometimes I end up with multiple album art pictures in a directory. Is that what you mean?

I'm not going to go through the trouble (yet) of renaming/re-tagging my music collection or restructuring my USB drives, but if I can do some clean-up to get Album Art to display again, I'd be... less unhappy, I guess.

Does Gracenotes no longer provide Album Art for USB? I can't seem to find where this was discussed earlier. It certainly does not fetch art (even incorrect art like before) for my collection.

I have mostly jpg embedded in album folder but as a test left a few albums with just PDF and then tagged.

I used 'tag editor' to apply that image (jpg or PDF) to the entire album....yep, per your comment, there was a bunch of non album art assigned to some albums (added about 40 more albums to my tesla load before fixing) that using the tag editor was the only way to get it straight.

Wish Tesla would make it easier to group artist albums and scroll quickly through a large album list but until then I've kept nested folder items to 8 or less (so I can see on the screen without scrolling) and will rename my album names so that seeing an albums grouped by artist is easier.

Last edited:
My MS has been sitting, waiting for its first annual service at the SvC now for a week. As previously posted, I have 3 issues re USB 8.0 on my Service Invoice (and I fully expect nothing more but "it will be resolved in a future firmware update".) Of possible note though, is I've received 4 firmware updates from my MS as being available (but not installed) since it's been parked at the SvC in the last week, so what those may be, IDK. This past weekend, I spent a couple hours building nearly 3 dozen test tracks to hopefully figure out more precisely where Album Art is broken for me. As soon as I get my MS back, I'll post back what Tesla officially says, as well as results of my latest tests.

(Finally) got my MS back from it’s first annual service a couple hours ago. I’m now running 8.0 2.38.19. As promised, I have completed more detailed testing of Media Player USB, and am trying to initially consolidate it here as a reference point until I get my new webpage for 8.0 built with more of this detail, workarounds and my personal suggestions how to proceed. (It's gonna take me another 2-3 days to finish that, at least). I built several dozen specific tracks to test various combinations of tagging and Album Art size and formats.

Supported Audio (Encoding) Formats
  • AAC, AIF, FLA, FLAC, M4A Lossy, MP3, OGA (OGG Vorbis) play, utilize basic ID3 tagging & support Album Art (see below)
  • M4A Lossless sadly continues to be unsupported, despite it also being an open format for the past several years. The BUG is, Media Player scans these tracks and processes their ID3 tags like other supported formats, populating them throughout the UI available for play, but then displays “loading error” when the track is selected for playback. These lossless tracks should either be ignored or prefereably, the format be fully supported.
  • WAV will play, but is an older format that inconsistently supports more recent ID3 specifications and Album Art (there are issues). IMHO, it’s best to convert to a more fully supported open format for use in your MS.
  • Despite some Owner’s desire, proprietary Microsoft MWV is ignored
  • M4V, PDF are correctly ignored
Basic ID3 Tagging (I only tested M4A Lossy combinations in any detail)
  • ALBUM - used
  • ALBUMARTIST - not used
  • DISCNUMBER - not used
  • DISCTOTAL - not used
  • GENRE - used
  • PARTOFCOMPILATION - not used
  • TRACKARTIST - used
  • TRACKNUMBER - not used
  • TRACKTOTAL - not used
  • TRACKTITLE - used
Track Number Sequence (using TRACKNUMBER tag)
  • BUG (same as with 7.1) - Tesla does not use this tag for playback. It instead plays back based on the alphanumeric sort order of the physical filename.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to use a tool (such as TeslaTunes) which can place the track number as the FIRST characters of the physical filename (not the tagging) following the Disc number for multi-disc album sets
Multi-Disc Albums (using DISCNUMBER tag)
  • BUG (same as with 7.1) - Tesla does not use this tag for playback. It instead plays back based on the alphanumeric sort order of the physical filename.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to use a tool (such as TeslaTunes) which can place the disc number as the FIRST characters of the physical filename (not the tagging), followed by the track number
Compliations (a “1” in the PARTOFCOMPILATION tag)
  • BUG (same as with 7.1) - Tesla continues to not handle these album/track types correctly across the UI
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to use a tool (such as TeslaTunes) to remap the content of ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of each track
Album Artwork
  • Formats
    • Only as part of ID3V2 Embedded Image Extension track tagging, meaning the art travels with the encoded audio in the same physical file. Note: ID3V2 allows nearly anything to be used, but says png or jpeg should be used for interoperability
    • At least JPG, PNG (I didn’t test the plethora of others) - work with M4A Lossless & FLAC (didn’t test other combinations)
      • BUG or Requirement - IDK Which — There is a problem where some jpg or png art will not display in the Tesla UI, but it will display successfully in iTunes, iOS Music Player, macOS Finder/Preview. Failing art in the Tesla UI also fails loading into Photoshop CC 2015.5 but not other tools such as Pixelmator. I’ve isolated this as far as I can to perhaps something related to art which does not have a “ColorSync Profile” whatever that entails or not.
  • Dimensions
    • The ID3 spec does not specify min or max. 300x300 to 1500x1500 were tested in increments of 100 with both jpg and png as part of M4A Lossless tracks. Tesla appears to appropriately scales art with formats it supports.
  • Image Type
    • The spec has 15 different types that can be specified — I only tested the following combinations.
    • Front Cover (Single) - displays correctly
    • Front Cover (Multiple) - only first one displays (that’s OK)
    • Front Cover & Back Cover - only front cover displays (that’s OK)
  • Note: There is a newly found TeslaTunes (not Tesla) BUG loosing Album Art when the original source file is AIFF and output is FLAC. Other formats such as M4A to FLAC convert properly. A workaround is to convert AIF/AIFF files to FLAC with another tool in advance of using TeslaTunes for it’s additional file manipulation.
M3U Playlists
  • (Continues to be) not supported
Search
  • If the new 8.0 Media Search supports USB and ID3 Tags (vs filenames as I would think it should), I’ve not been successful getting it to work by typing different entries of ALBUMTITLE, TRACKTITLE, or TRACKARTIST in the search box (exact match or partial) or via verbal command. Only non-USB sources are displayed in the results I received with 10 different tests.
...and I have not yet figured out what my new 8.0 workaround is going to be for all this. TBD soon!

Last edited:
^^^^

BertL--

Great writeup and research results.

Can you please advise your thoughts re: why a few albums that I test loaded with only PDF artwork assigned to album song files via Tag Editor loads properly and shows the artwork? See post #324 which shows a Tony Bennett album that I loaded using only PDF image.

^^^^

BertL--

Great writeup and research results.

Can you please advise your thoughts re: why a few albums that I test loaded with only PDF artwork assigned to album song files via Tag Editor loads properly and shows the artwork? See post #324 which shows a Tony Bennett album that I loaded using only PDF image.

Sorry, I don't have experience using PDF as Album Art. I did not test PDF, as IMHO its just not as common for use as album art, esp when the specification itself suggests jpg and png to be used for best compatibility. I also have not used Tag Editor, so I can't conjecture anything regarding that tool or what it does with tagging. The one thing I'd offer is that some tools, e.g iTunes and others, will add tagged art in either the front or back of whatever is already there... it does not replace it, so, while the standard allows multiple art in a single track, most players only show the first one. Also, sometimes more recently added art does not seem to appear when you then play it in yet another tool perhaps because of some combination of all that. Also, when you apply tag changes to an album (i.e. Multiple tracks at once), not all tools I've used accomplish what I would have expected. All that to me is a real mess, and what happens just depends upon what a specific track may or may not have, then how a particular tool adds or modifies art to it.

BTW, if you run into the problem where you pull out a USB device from your Tesla, make some tag or art changes, and plug the same device back in, your Tesla in an effort to be efficient may continue using the cache of tag/art data that was previously there. Several workarounds for that I've described before... but back to the main subject:

If I wanted album art to display with my Tesla Media Player, I'd do several things. 1. Abandon trying to make separate art files work with a track. Use only embedded art as the ID3 standard offers. 2. Validate my embedded album art is only jpg or png format, AND is specified as "Front Cover" art (I believe that is generally the default, but if your tagging tool allows it to be different, be sure you set it as Front Cover). 3. If any of my album art has multiple art that I don't need, delete it, then add back the single jpg or png image. --- If I then still had a problem with specific tracks not display album art (like I do), figure out a way to isolate which tracks those are across the library, then delete existing art, locate new art (DO NOT convert what is already there between formats) and put new jpg or png art in its place.

Good luck.

AFAIK, track number tag was used in every version prior to v8.0. v7.1 Sorted albums properly by track number.
Not ALWAYS for me, and for every way I can play tracks by album, artist, etc within the interface. Check your physical filenames on the USB device itself. If the tracks are playing in correct sequence, and that isn't intended to be in alphanumerical sequence by tracktitle, I suspect it's because there are track numbers in the first positions of the physical filenames. Some ripping tools and download services provide those naming conventions by default, others do not. My source library is a mix with some track filenames having a number that matches the track number in front of the title, others don't. Most of my files do not go so far to then also have a disc number to further sort those track numbers in multi-album sets, so I at a minimum have a problem playing all the 1st tracks for one album first, then all the 2's, etc unless I do something when creating my USB stick that puts disc number and track number as the first characters of the filename.

Peace. I'm glad your library is working well.

Peace. I'm glad your library is working well.

My library isn't working. I cannot play albums in order anymore (which is how I listen to music). All of my files are properly tagged. Never had this issue with 7.1, or any previous issue, so it is new to v8.0. File name convention is all wildly different across my collection, as I changed how I name my files over the years. Some have track number in file name, others do not. Never had any issues with 7.1 or any previous version, just having problems with 8.0.

I never heard or experienced that 7.1 had problems playing music in order, so I brought it up.

EDIT: And my files that do include 01, 02, 03, etc for track number as the first digits in the filenames still play in alpha order based on their Title tag.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
My library isn't working. I cannot play albums in order anymore (which is how I listen to music). All of my files are properly tagged. Never had this issue with 7.1, or any previous issue, so it is new to v8.0. File name convention is all wildly different across my collection, as I changed how I name my files over the years. Some have track number in file name, others do not. Never had any issues with 7.1 or any previous version, just having problems with 8.0.

Was just curious, as I never heard or experienced that 7.1 had problems playing music in order.
I had similar track sequence issues with 6.2 when I first took delivery, through what I see with 8.0. So many variables here, that it's hard to diagnose, especially when it's not our full-time job. ;). Good luck with resolution.

I never heard or experienced that 7.1 had problems playing music in order, so I brought it up.

EDIT: And my files that do include 01, 02, 03, etc for track number as the first digits in the filenames still play in alpha order based on their Title tag.

^^^^^
Agree with that. When I first used Music Tag Editor I thought by changing track numbers to 01, 02, etc it would allow for proper sequencing. However, I found that you need Title Tag file names to be sequenced properly. I changed track numbers to 01-09, from 1-9 anyway just in case Tesla changes their approach in the future.

Further, I tagged all files in the Album with the same artwork and found that either jpg or pdf worked. Finally, I have added artist two initials in tagged album name so that my albums are grouped by artist.

btw: Everything now works in 8.0 but clearly this takes quite some time for a large album set.

It's worse than that. You are assuming that you could actually scroll to the W's without it having to accidently click into a folder before that. Then when you hit the back button, you have to start all over.

The best "work around" I've found for this so far is to make the music app full screen and actually scroll on the extreme right edge. No accidental clicking this way. If you're stopped, you can also "flick" it to scroll a little faster than actually dragging

@BertL, or anyone else that knows...

Now that AP 2.0 is coming, I've pretty much lost hope in them fixing this USB issue anytime soon so I want to redo my folders to make it easier to work with a few questions maybe you could help me with. There has been so much back and forth on this thread that trying to read through it all kinda left my head spinning :confused:

1) So the consensus seems to be that the best way to arrange your folders for searching would be one of these?
a) Music > Alpha > Artist > Album
b) Music > Alpha > Artist - Album

2) If I were to do one of those things, and search by folder is there anyway to get the tracks to play in album order aside from putting the actual number in the tag of the track name? (I've always had the number in front of the file name, so that clearly is not the answer.) It's so frustrating because the track order actually works if you search by album.
a) If that is really the only solution, do you know of a program that can batch/automate that process? [I have a PC]

3) So there is no resume if you switch audio sources? I usually listen to an educational podcast on the way to work (Phone - bluetooth) and music on the way home. I at least can get back to the same album using the "Recent" list, but it just starts the whole album over. At least before it would just start the track over. Is this because it literally reloads the drive everytime the car turns off?

Last edited:
@BertL, or anyone else that knows...

Now that AP 2.0 is coming, I've pretty much lost hope in them fixing this USB issue anytime soon so I want to redo my folders to make it easier to work with a few questions maybe you could help me with. There has been so much back and forth on this thread that trying to read through it all kinda left my head spinning :confused:

1) So the consensus seems to be that the best way to arrange your folders for searching would be one of these?
a) Music > Alpha > Artist > Album
b) Music > Alpha > Artist - Album

2) If I were to do one of those things, and search by folder is there anyway to get the tracks to play in album order aside from putting the actual number in the tag of the track name? (I've always had the number in front of the file name, so that clearly is not the answer.) It's so frustrating because the track order actually works if you search by album.
a) If that is really the only solution, do you know of a program that can batch/automate that process? [I have a PC]

3) So there is no resume if you switch audio sources? I usually listen to an educational podcast on the way to work (Phone - bluetooth) and music on the way home. I at least can get back to the same album using the "Recent" list, but it just starts the whole album over. At least before it would just start the track over. Is this because it literally reloads the drive everytime the car turns off?
I have not forgotten you. After @trils0n and @X Fan posts to mine on Wednesday afternoon, it got me thinking. I've more thoroughly gone back through my own testing and found some problems I introduced trying to quickly finish and document my analysis when I finally got my MS back. I spent most of yesterday investigating and coming up with possible workarounds running back and forth to my MS. I built a number of small alternatives by hand that improved with each iteration, then worked on automating most of that process with my first larger set of 6126 tracks. My quad-core 4GHz i7 has been chunking full-blast for 13 hours heating my home office, while also building the USB Stick. It looks to have another couple hours to go before I can test this full iteration, then perhaps there will need to be another. IDK yet.

I will document back here to replace my Wednesday post, as soon as I have something that works for my purpose -- if all goes well, not just via 8.0 USB Folder view, but also using the Songs/Artists/Albums/Genre methods Tesla provides. ;) Oh, and while I'm a Mac kinda guy these days, the tool I'm using to workaround many of the Tesla challenges is available for both macOS and Windows. It's not free, but won't set someone back too far if they want to give it a try. I'll be happy to document all config options later if there is enough demand. OK, that did turn into a teaser! Sorry! More as soon as I have better confidence in the results. Not gonna rush and screw it up again this time. :D

(Finally) got my MS back from it’s first annual service a couple hours ago. I’m now running 8.0 2.38.19. As promised, I have completed more detailed testing of Media Player USB, and am trying to initially consolidate it here as a reference point …

I have not forgotten you. After @trils0n and @X Fan posts to mine on Wednesday afternoon, it got me thinking…

So, let’s try this again. Get ready. It's a very long post, even for me. Read the bold headings if you want to jump ahead.

Bert’s Media Player 8.0 2.38.19 Observations & Workarounds V2

Caveats ON:
Your perspective may be different than mine, as I’ve attempted to test what is most important to me, along with a few other things I’ve made mental note as being important to some others across TMC. There are just too many combinations, and as I’m not being paid to debug or document all this, well, you get what you get, from just my own POV. In other words, pot shots will be ignored. ;)
Caveats OFF:

Physical USB Device Characteristics & Formats
  • USB 2.0 (See Note #1)
  • 2GB, 8GB, 16GB, 128GB, 256GB (perhaps others)
  • Format: FAT, FAT32; (not exFAT or NTFS)
    • Volume Label now displays in the UI, but see BUG #1 below
  • AAC, AIF, FLA, FLAC, M4A Lossy, MP3, OGA (OGG Vorbis) play, utilize basic ID3 tagging & support Album Art (see below)
  • WAV will play, but is an older format that inconsistently supports more recent ID3 specifications and Album Art (there are issues that I would never hold Tesla accountable for). IMHO, it’s best to convert to a more fully supported open format for use in your MS.
  • M4A Lossless has a BUG (see #2 below) and/or sadly continues to be unsupported
  • MWV (Microsoft proprietary) is ignored. Sorry to you diehards!
Basic ID3 Tagging
  • ALBUM (title) - used correctly
  • ALBUMARTIST - not used, but perhaps should be. See BUGS #4 below.
  • DISCNUMBER - not used. See BUGS #3 below.
  • GENRE - used correctly
  • TRACKARTIST - used correctly, perhaps to a fault. See BUGS #4 below.
  • TRACKNUMBER - not used. See BUGS #3 below.
  • TRACKTITLE - used
Album Artwork

NOTE: Valid art may not immediately display within the UI. Accessing and/or scaling art appears to be a lower-priority secondary process which is fine. Just don’t get worried your Art is missing without giving it some time (a good minute or more) to be displayed and perhaps placed in cache.
  • Formats
    • I only tested and personally care about Album Art that follows the ID3V2 Embedded Image Extension standard, meaning the art travels with the encoded audio in the same physical file — not as a sidecar file. This spec allows nearly any format to be used, but says png or jpeg should be used for best interoperability. I use both.
    • At least JPG, PNG work. I didn’t test the plethora of other possibilities, including PDF that at least one other has reported success with. While I can’t explain the exact internal issue, there is at least one BUG (see #5 below) impacting me.
  • Dimensions
    • The ID3 spec does not specify min or max. I tested both jpg and png from <300 to 1500x1500 in 100 increments. Tesla appears to appropriately scale art into it’s UI with formats it supports.
  • Image Type
    • The spec has 15 different types that can be specified — I only tested the following combinations. My suggestion is if you tagging tool gives you the option, the Album Art you want displayed in your Tesla should be the very first “Front Cover”:
M3U Playlists
  • Continue to not be supported
Search
  • If the new 8.0 Media Search supports USB and ID3 Tags, I’ve not been successful getting it to work by typing varying entries of ALBUMTITLE, TRACKTITLE, or TRACKARTIST in the search box (exact match or partial) or via verbal command. Only non-USB sources are displayed in the results I received with 10 different tests

===
BUGS & Da Guy’s Biggest Hot Button List
(Your list is likely different or more extensive — I’ve tried not to go too crazy)

BUG 1: USB Device Volume Label does not properly handle spaces and less common characters
  • Workaround is to just not have imbedded blanks or anything other than basic characters such as A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and a few others in the name you choose
BUG 2: M4A Lossless (.M4A) is not handled correctly
  • Media Player scans these tracks and processes their ID3 tags like other supported formats (including .M4A Lossy), populating these tracks throughout the UI available for play, but then displays “loading error” when the track is selected for playback. These lossless tracks should either be ignored or preferably, the format be fully supported. It’s been open format for 5+ years and is fairly common to Apple-users.
  • Workaround is to convert any M4A Lossless source files to a supported format before use in your Tesla. FLAC Lossless is a quick and easy choice.
BUG 3: DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER are not consistently used together for proper sequenced display and playback of tracks within the UI
  • TRACKNUMBER is used to designate the playback sequence number on this disc within a unique Album. DISCNUMBER is an optional ID3 tag (in it’s absence, 1 is assumed), but in combination with TRACKNUMBER, is the only way to be able to play all tracks in proper sequence with boxed-sets and multi-disc albums. Tesla does not use either tag for playback, and instead plays back (roughly) based on the alphanumeric sort of TRACKTITLE.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to use a tool which prefaces each TRACKTITLE on your USB device with both DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER, e.g. “DD-TT track title” where DD is DISCNUMBER and TT is TRACKNUMBER. Just realize when you do this, your track names are going to show the prefaced additional information nearly everywhere in the UI.
BUG (& SUGGESTION) 4: Tesla should use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of TRACKARTIST
  • Tesla uses TRACKARTIST across the UI, which for purists, is exactly the right thing to do. The challenge is Tesla does not then also parse this tag content into individual artists when there are more than one specified in the track, as is common with compilation albums. As such, single ALBUMs on the USB device can appear split into multiples with the same Album Title in Tesla’s UI because of varying TRACKARTISTs within the same album.
  • I appreciate the ID3 standard and an audiophile purist’s POV, however since this UI is for use in an automobile where it is necessary for designers to make trade-offs between providing functionality, while quickly and safely accessing what the driver needs to, using TRACKARTIST becomes unworkable for any owner with larger music libraries, especially if it contains a higher percentage of compilations.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to place the contents of ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST in every track
  • Suggestion to Tesla: Use ALBUMARTIST instead of TRACKARTIST across all of Media Player USB. If a track has no ALBUMARTIST tag, just like other media players, use the contents of TRACKARTIST in it's place. This has several side benefits:
    • Tesla does not have to perform the more complex and time-consuming parsing otherwise needed upon USB device scan of TRACKARTIST to separate artists from one another. Processor resources are used for more important things and the Owner has access to their USB music faster.
    • Compilations will more often than not be represented correctly within the UI, even if the user did not tag tracks correctly using PARTOFCOMPILATION
    • Less (and likely a more useful) set of Artists are represented across the UI
    • Far less of the fixed and limited CID memory is consumed with less valuable and even more infrequently used track artist data, allowing more real audio tracks to be made available in their place. While I cannot say this for absolute fact, I am convinced that previous reported problems with my USB Flash Drive with 6100 tracks that worked with 7.2 (15-20 mins scan time), and never got to a 80% complete scan in more than 2 hours once 8.0 was installed, is due to this exact issue. Deleting all TRACKARTIST data on a copy of the same stick allowed the scan process to complete in approx 6 minutes. ;)
BUG 5: Some JPG and PNG Album Art does not display
  • There is a problem with some jpg or png art that will not display in the Tesla UI, but displays successfully e.g. in iTunes, iOS Music Player, macOS Finder and Preview. Sampled failing art in the Tesla UI also fails loading into Photoshop CC 2015.5, but not other graphics tools I have access to such as Pixelmator. I’ve isolated this as far as I can to perhaps something related to Color Spaces or Art which does not have a “ColorSync Profile” whatever that may be.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to allow a media conversion tool to convert existing Art within the track, and pray the Tesla UI likes it better.
SUGGESTION 6: No Automatic Volume Leveling
  • Shifting between media types (e.g. Radio to USB), or playing back USB tracks from different albums (especially on random/shuffle) requires the driver to continuously adjust the volume level attempting to achieve a more consistent audio playback level
  • Workaround is when building copies of your USB device tracks, to use a tool that can analyze and then apply physical volume leveling. While this isn’t what an audiophile may find acceptable with studio-quality ear-enclosed headphones, from a convenience perspective for me while driving my Tesla, this is a boon.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #1: For years, other auto manufacturers such as Lexus and MBZ have had “ASL”, “Automatic Sound Leveling” or other software-only proprietary options within their media player to dynamically adjust CD/USB track playback volume to a more relative level. This is similar to what iTunes and iOS provide with the Sound Check option in each of it’s players. Tesla should implement a similar firmware-only Media Player option that can be turned on or off. I personally consider this a must-have, and a huge miss compared to the competition.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #2: A more elegant and additional refinement to #1 for some future day, would be for Tesla to optionally allow use of ReplayGain tags when a track contains them. This standard was proposed in 2001, and the data is easily created by preprocessing tools such as dBpoweramp with its ReplayGain DSP that can analyze a track, then add/update the tags so subsequent playback is able to make use of the data on-the-fly.
BUG 7: The UI does not maintain logical secondary sort sequences on the Artists, Albums & Genre views (related to Bug 3)
  • Songs View sort and playback based on alphanumeric TRACKTITLE sequence. Fine.
  • Artists View also sorts based on alphanumeric TRACKARTIST sequence. OK (See Bug #4 above), but if you then select an artist name, secondary sort should probably be ALBUM (title)+ DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Albums View also sorts based on alphanumeric ALBUM (title) sequence. OK, but if you then select an album, secondary sort should probably be in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Genre View also sorts based on alphanumeric GENRE sequence. OK, but then, if you select a genre, secondary sort should probably be something like ALBUM (title)+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #1: There may be a pattern or some intention how your present secondary sorts within the UI work for Songs, Artists, Albums, Genre, but it’s not obvious to me. Putting this next layer of logic into the UI would serve owners well. My personal suggestion is just consider your internal track key to be ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER and let that default sort work its way through the interface. To a large degree, that would provide both a unique key for every track on a USB device, and help with more consistent sorting of track data the way users expect. You need to display TRACKTITLE and make that available for selection most of the time, but the underlying sort order shouldn’t always be the same given how users think about their music collection.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #2: Bring back the vertical alpha quick-selection method to access long lists in all USB views. With larger libraries, it’s nearly impossible to accurately scroll down a list of any length, but it’s now unsafe for the driver to take their eyes off the road for as long as it takes without this functionality.
  • Workaround is to use Folder View where the user has a little more control over the order and drill-down of data based on their choices of folder names and their children.

===
Notes — Oddities and Miscellaneous Observations

Note 1: USB Device Error Recovery Needs Improvements
  • I’m up to 3 different USB Flash Drives (Patriot, PNY, & SanDisk) that fail in my MS, but show no evidence of an issue when accessed or diagnosed on my Mac, or when played back on a cheap USB Boom Box. Failures are anything from causing repeated reboots of the CID as long as the device is in the MS USB port, perhaps occasional unexpected CID reboots, to elongated times each time the CID is rebooted (likely waiting for a device timeout to occur).
  • Tesla Service continues to recommend USB devices not be plugged in during start-up to avoid abnormal MCU operation. IMHO, this just isn’t a reasonable expectation, which seems to be unique to Tesla an no other vehicle I’ve owned.
  • Perhaps when Tesla updates the underlying OS in December 2016, as Elon recently announced, this may improve.
Note 2: I Have Abandoned use of TeslaTunes (macOS only — not a Tesla issue)
  • I’m really appreciative having found this tool which served me well through 7.1, easily extracting tracks from my iTunes library and applying workarounds to make my USB Music experience tolerable in my MS. As noted upthread, a bug related to AIFF-FLAC migration of Album Art has been uncovered. That didn’t effect me personally, but I have found some other recent problems perhaps due to this aging App incompatibilities with the latest macOS Sierra 10.12, and honestly, TeslaTunes can’t deal with some of the newer workarounds I’m looking for with the new 8.0 UI.

===
Bert’s 8.0 Workaround - October 22, 2016
(and yes, it will probably be a little different tomorrow, now that I’ve got the basics figured-out)

My objectives:
  1. Make no permanent changes my master iTunes audio/video library, composed primarily of M4A Lossy, M4A Lossless (Bug #2), and a few MP3 files, which have been meticulously tagged over the years
  2. Make use of the standard Tesla UI Songs, Artists, Albums, and Genre tabs, in additional to Folder, i.e. I don’t need to use USB Folder View exclusively to workaround most other annoyances or problems, allowing Folder View to become a 5th way to access tracks on my USB device.
  3. Be able to once again play a minimum of 6100 tracks with the Tesla 8.0 UI, as I could with 7.1
  4. Be able to play single and multi-disc albums in proper track sequence by DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER (Bug #3)
  5. Reduce UI complexities associated with TRACKARTIST (and likely dramatically reduce limited on-board memory usage by excluding this not-as-important-in-a-car detail, using TRACKALBUM instead (Bug #4)
  6. Convert Album Art to JPG, perhaps allowing even more Album Art to display in my MS (Bug #5)
  7. Apply Automatic Volume Leveling to each track making USB playback levels approximately the same for all tracks, when compared against FM Radio sources (Suggestion #6)
  8. After selecting tracks from iTunes, automate as much of the conversion process as possible, resulting in copies of the source files as FLAC on a USB Flash Drive

…and yes, I am proud to say I have accomplished all that, and can repeat the process without too much effort. What I’m doing is likely more involved than many of you will want to take on, or even care about considering …but it makes me a lot happier being able to listen to and access my music, pretty much my way in my Model S once again. :)

I now have a USB Flash Drive with 6125 tracks that completes an initial MS scan in a record 6 minutes (15-20 mins with 7.1), where I can both see and play tracks from any of my albums (including multi-disc) in proper sequence. I now see only the primary artists associated with each of my tracks and albums across Tesla’s UI, making scrolling and quick selection a lot simpler in several of the views. I’ve not yet found a track where my Album Art isn’t displaying properly, and perhaps more exciting to me… when I switch between FM to my music on USB and back, or listen to my fairly diverse USB tracks on random/shuffle, the relative volume remains about the same and I’m no longer fiddling with the steering wheel volume control as much as I have always had to do in my Tesla.

The disadvantages are it took a lot of time to figure out more precisely what the common bugs are, then how to workaround what was most important to me. Honestly, I never had to do anything like this in my former Lexus, MBZ or BMW. The process is not as easy or fast as what TeslaTunes use to provide me with essentially point-and-click against my iTunes library, and it built and maintained my USB stick for me from there on out. I do have this new procedure down to two major steps, with the most complex and longest part completely automated -- doing far more than I thought possible and frankly surpassing what I was able to do with TeslaTunes. Still, with my fairly high-end quad core 4GHz i7 iMac, it took more than 14.5 hours of dedicated hands-off time to move 6125 tracks through Step 2 of the conversion. I still have a few anomolies with the UI. Beyond missing the vertical alpha quick selection method, most notably, I’m now staring at DD-TT in front of every track title throughout the interface, but I’ll take that so I can see and play my tracks in correct album sequence whenever I want to. ...but overall, I've made some great tradeoffs for what bothered me most, and am pretty happy considering I still have to manage a workaround. ;)

A Summary of My Current Workaround Process, & the Tools I Use
  1. Extract files from iTunes that I want to listen to in my MS into a temporary subdirectory on my iMac SSD (it’s faster than USB and I have the work space)
    • I either drag & drop copies of tracks directly from iTunes to the temporary location, or
    • on my Mac, I use a tool called Export for iTunes ($7.99 on the macOS Store, and no, I have no affiliation with it) that gives me point-n-click access to my iTunes Playlists and Albums, and it does the extraction for me while I off doing something more important. (To keep things straight, I do not let it do any conversion that it is capable of on it's own.)
  2. Use dBpoweramp Music Converter for the complex automation and actual building of my USB device
    • No, it’s not free. dBpoweramp is $39 for macOS and Windows. My experience is with the Mac version that comes with two forms of conversion as well as a sophisticated CD Ripper.
      • Note: I have no connection to dBpoweramp, and don’t receive some sort of kickback from them …but, here’s a public thank you to @Boatguy for turning me onto the toolset months ago — it’s come in handy for a lot more than just re-ripping a few of my old CDs into lossless format.
    • dBpoweramp Batch Converter then:
      • let’s me point it at that temporary directory containing the source files I want to have converted for use in my MS
      • performs Volume Normalize analysis against each track, in an adaptive manner looking across in my case 6000ms windows of time to determine what to move up and down within the track without clipping. This is a very compute intensive process, hence why it takes an exponential amount of time to do the whole conversion.
      • puts the contents of ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST on every track
      • changes all Album Art to JPEG. I could have it also reduce size to perhaps save a little compute time inside my MS — I just have not gone that far into my exploration YET.
      • changes TRACKTITLE to “DISCNUMBER-TRACKNUMBER TRACKTITLE” on every track
      • converts every source file of varying encoding types to FLAC. Lossless remains lossless; Lossy does not get better or worse.
      • places the files once they are processed onto the USB device in whatever folder structure I desire for use in the Tesla’s Folder View (I’m presently using ALBUMARTIST/ALBUM/DISCNUMBER-TRACK-NUMBER TITLE, but that will certainly evolve over time.)

I hope that helps someone, even if some little detail is off. Maybe I’m done with this Sherlock Holmes episode at last!

Last edited:
Search
  • If the new 8.0 Media Search supports USB and ID3 Tags, I’ve not been successful getting it to work by typing varying entries of ALBUMTITLE, TRACKTITLE, or TRACKARTIST in the search box (exact match or partial) or via verbal command. Only non-USB sources are displayed in the results I received with 10 different tests

Which version of 8.0 do you have? Since I think the USB searching was added in 2.40.21. (2.36.108 doesn't have USB search.)

Thanks for the detailed post.
On my new X I have two USB sticks. The 256Gb one with 5200 tracks never finishes loading ( I was on a recent road trip and it didn't load in the time between supercharger stops!). A small stick with 250 songs did load quickly and was remembered between stops.
Did you do anything special to get your 6100 songs to load? Any idea why yours loads quickly and mine never finishes?
Also, I use dbpoweramp, do you have a script for the changes you would be willing to share? I use replaygain, but would be willing to apply the volume changes directly, to avoid at least that issue. Same for embedded art, which does not always work.
On 2.40.21 the search at least works correctly for me.

So, let’s try this again. Get ready. It's a very long post, even for me. Read the bold headings if you want to jump ahead.

Bert’s Media Player 8.0 2.38.19 Observations & Workarounds V2

Caveats ON:
Your perspective may be different than mine, as I’ve attempted to test what is most important to me, along with a few other things I’ve made mental note as being important to some others across TMC. There are just too many combinations, and as I’m not being paid to debug or document all this, well, you get what you get, from just my own POV. In other words, pot shots will be ignored. ;)
Caveats OFF:

Physical USB Device Characteristics & Formats
  • USB 2.0 (See Note #1)
  • 2GB, 8GB, 16GB, 128GB, 256GB (perhaps others)
  • Format: FAT, FAT32; (not exFAT or NTFS)
    • Volume Label now displays in the UI, but see BUG #1 below
  • WAV will play, but is an older format that inconsistently supports more recent ID3 specifications and Album Art (there are issues that I would never hold Tesla accountable for). IMHO, it’s best to convert to a more fully supported open format for use in your MS.
  • M4A Lossless has a BUG (see #2 below) and/or sadly continues to be unsupported
  • MWV (Microsoft proprietary) is ignored. Sorry to you diehards!
Basic ID3 Tagging
  • ALBUM (title) - used correctly
  • ALBUMARTIST - not used, but perhaps should be. See BUGS #4 below.
  • DISCNUMBER - not used. See BUGS #3 below.
  • GENRE - used correctly
  • TRACKARTIST - used correctly, perhaps to a fault. See BUGS #4 below.
  • TRACKNUMBER - not used. See BUGS #3 below.
  • TRACKTITLE - used
Album Artwork

NOTE: Valid art may not immediately display within the UI. Accessing and/or scaling art appears to be a lower-priority secondary process which is fine. Just don’t get worried your Art is missing without giving it some time (a good minute or more) to be displayed and perhaps placed in cache.
  • Formats
    • I only tested and personally care about Album Art that follows the ID3V2 Embedded Image Extension standard, meaning the art travels with the encoded audio in the same physical file — not as a sidecar file. This spec allows nearly any format to be used, but says png or jpeg should be used for best interoperability. I use both.
    • At least JPG, PNG work. I didn’t test the plethora of other possibilities, including PDF that at least one other has reported success with. While I can’t explain the exact internal issue, there is at least one BUG (see #5 below) impacting me.
  • Dimensions
    • The ID3 spec does not specify min or max. I tested both jpg and png from <300 to 1500x1500 in 100 increments. Tesla appears to appropriately scale art into it’s UI with formats it supports.
  • Image Type
    • The spec has 15 different types that can be specified — I only tested the following combinations. My suggestion is if you tagging tool gives you the option, the Album Art you want displayed in your Tesla should be the very first “Front Cover”:
M3U Playlists
  • Continue to not be supported
Search

===
BUGS & Da Guy’s Biggest Hot Button List
(Your list is likely different or more extensive — I’ve tried not to go too crazy)

BUG 1: USB Device Volume Label does not properly handle spaces and less common characters
  • Workaround is to just not have imbedded blanks or anything other than basic characters such as A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and a few others in the name you choose
BUG 2: M4A Lossless (.M4A) is not handled correctly
  • Media Player scans these tracks and processes their ID3 tags like other supported formats (including .M4A Lossy), populating these tracks throughout the UI available for play, but then displays “loading error” when the track is selected for playback. These lossless tracks should either be ignored or preferably, the format be fully supported. It’s been open format for 5+ years and is fairly common to Apple-users.
  • Workaround is to convert any M4A Lossless source files to a supported format before use in your Tesla. FLAC Lossless is a quick and easy choice.
BUG 3: DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER are not consistently used together for proper sequenced display and playback of tracks within the UI
  • TRACKNUMBER is used to designate the playback sequence number on this disc within a unique Album. DISCNUMBER is an optional ID3 tag (in it’s absence, 1 is assumed), but in combination with TRACKNUMBER, is the only way to be able to play all tracks in proper sequence with boxed-sets and multi-disc albums. Tesla does not use either tag for playback, and instead plays back (roughly) based on the alphanumeric sort of TRACKTITLE.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to use a tool which prefaces each TRACKTITLE on your USB device with both DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER, e.g. “DD-TT track title” where DD is DISCNUMBER and TT is TRACKNUMBER. Just realize when you do this, your track names are going to show the prefaced additional information nearly everywhere in the UI.
BUG (& SUGGESTION) 4: Tesla should use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of TRACKARTIST
  • Tesla uses TRACKARTIST across the UI, which for purists, is exactly the right thing to do. The challenge is Tesla does not then also parse this tag content into individual artists when there are more than one specified in the track, as is common with compilation albums. As such, single ALBUMs on the USB device can appear split into multiples with the same Album Title in Tesla’s UI because of varying TRACKARTISTs within the same album.
  • I appreciate the ID3 standard and an audiophile purist’s POV, however since this UI is for use in an automobile where it is necessary for designers to make trade-offs between providing functionality, while quickly and safely accessing what the driver needs to, using TRACKARTIST becomes unworkable for any owner with larger music libraries, especially if it contains a higher percentage of compilations.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to place the contents of ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST in every track
  • Suggestion to Tesla: Use ALBUMARTIST instead of TRACKARTIST across all of Media Player USB. If a track has no ALBUMARTIST tag, just like other media players, use the contents of TRACKARTIST in it's place. This has several side benefits:
    • Tesla does not have to perform the more complex and time-consuming parsing otherwise needed upon USB device scan of TRACKARTIST to separate artists from one another. Processor resources are used for more important things and the Owner has access to their USB music faster.
    • Compilations will more often than not be represented correctly within the UI, even if the user did not tag tracks correctly using PARTOFCOMPILATION
    • Less (and likely a more useful) set of Artists are represented across the UI
    • Far less of the fixed and limited CID memory is consumed with less valuable and even more infrequently used track artist data, allowing more real audio tracks to be made available in their place. While I cannot say this for absolute fact, I am convinced that previous reported problems with my USB Flash Drive with 6100 tracks that worked with 7.2 (15-20 mins scan time), and never got to a 80% complete scan in more than 2 hours once 8.0 was installed, is due to this exact issue. Deleting all TRACKARTIST data on a copy of the same stick allowed the scan process to complete in approx 6 minutes. ;)
BUG 5: Some JPG and PNG Album Art does not display
  • There is a problem with some jpg or png art that will not display in the Tesla UI, but displays successfully e.g. in iTunes, iOS Music Player, macOS Finder and Preview. Sampled failing art in the Tesla UI also fails loading into Photoshop CC 2015.5, but not other graphics tools I have access to such as Pixelmator. I’ve isolated this as far as I can to perhaps something related to Color Spaces or Art which does not have a “ColorSync Profile” whatever that may be.
  • Workaround is when building your USB device tracks, to allow a media conversion tool to convert existing Art within the track, and pray the Tesla UI likes it better.
SUGGESTION 6: No Automatic Volume Leveling
  • Shifting between media types (e.g. Radio to USB), or playing back USB tracks from different albums (especially on random/shuffle) requires the driver to continuously adjust the volume level attempting to achieve a more consistent audio playback level
  • Workaround is when building copies of your USB device tracks, to use a tool that can analyze and then apply physical volume leveling. While this isn’t what an audiophile may find acceptable with studio-quality ear-enclosed headphones, from a convenience perspective for me while driving my Tesla, this is a boon.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #1: For years, other auto manufacturers such as Lexus and MBZ have had “ASL”, “Automatic Sound Leveling” or other software-only proprietary options within their media player to dynamically adjust CD/USB track playback volume to a more relative level. This is similar to what iTunes and iOS provide with the Sound Check option in each of it’s players. Tesla should implement a similar firmware-only Media Player option that can be turned on or off. I personally consider this a must-have, and a huge miss compared to the competition.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #2: A more elegant and additional refinement to #1 for some future day, would be for Tesla to optionally allow use of ReplayGain tags when a track contains them. This standard was proposed in 2001, and the data is easily created by preprocessing tools such as dBpoweramp with its ReplayGain DSP that can analyze a track, then add/update the tags so subsequent playback is able to make use of the data on-the-fly.
BUG 7: The UI does not maintain logical secondary sort sequences on the Artists, Albums & Genre views (related to Bug 3)
  • Songs View sort and playback based on alphanumeric TRACKTITLE sequence. Fine.
  • Artists View also sorts based on alphanumeric TRACKARTIST sequence. OK (See Bug #4 above), but if you then select an artist name, secondary sort should probably be ALBUM (title)+ DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Albums View also sorts based on alphanumeric ALBUM (title) sequence. OK, but if you then select an album, secondary sort should probably be in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Genre View also sorts based on alphanumeric GENRE sequence. OK, but then, if you select a genre, secondary sort should probably be something like ALBUM (title)+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #1: There may be a pattern or some intention how your present secondary sorts within the UI work for Songs, Artists, Albums, Genre, but it’s not obvious to me. Putting this next layer of logic into the UI would serve owners well. My personal suggestion is just consider your internal track key to be ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER and let that default sort work its way through the interface. To a large degree, that would provide both a unique key for every track on a USB device, and help with more consistent sorting of track data the way users expect. You need to display TRACKTITLE and make that available for selection most of the time, but the underlying sort order shouldn’t always be the same given how users think about their music collection.
  • Suggestion to Tesla #2: Bring back the vertical alpha quick-selection method to access long lists in all USB views. With larger libraries, it’s nearly impossible to accurately scroll down a list of any length, but it’s now unsafe for the driver to take their eyes off the road for as long as it takes without this functionality.
  • Workaround is to use Folder View where the user has a little more control over the order and drill-down of data based on their choices of folder names and their children.

===
Notes — Oddities and Miscellaneous Observations

Note 1: USB Device Error Recovery Needs Improvements
  • I’m up to 3 different USB Flash Drives (Patriot, PNY, & SanDisk) that fail in my MS, but show no evidence of an issue when accessed or diagnosed on my Mac, or when played back on a cheap USB Boom Box. Failures are anything from causing repeated reboots of the CID as long as the device is in the MS USB port, perhaps occasional unexpected CID reboots, to elongated times each time the CID is rebooted (likely waiting for a device timeout to occur).
  • Tesla Service continues to recommend USB devices not be plugged in during start-up to avoid abnormal MCU operation. IMHO, this just isn’t a reasonable expectation, which seems to be unique to Tesla an no other vehicle I’ve owned.
  • Perhaps when Tesla updates the underlying OS in December 2016, as Elon recently announced, this may improve.
Note 2: I Have Abandoned use of TeslaTunes (macOS only — not a Tesla issue)
  • I’m really appreciative having found this tool which served me well through 7.1, easily extracting tracks from my iTunes library and applying workarounds to make my USB Music experience tolerable in my MS. As noted upthread, a bug related to AIFF-FLAC migration of Album Art has been uncovered. That didn’t effect me personally, but I have found some other recent problems perhaps due to this aging App incompatibilities with the latest macOS Sierra 10.12, and honestly, TeslaTunes can’t deal with some of the newer workarounds I’m looking for with the new 8.0 UI.

===
Bert’s 8.0 Workaround - October 22, 2016
(and yes, it will probably be a little different tomorrow, now that I’ve got the basics figured-out)

My objectives:
  1. Make no permanent changes my master iTunes audio/video library, composed primarily of M4A Lossy, M4A Lossless (Bug #2), and a few MP3 files, which have been meticulously tagged over the years
  2. Make use of the standard Tesla UI Songs, Artists, Albums, and Genre tabs, in additional to Folder, i.e. I don’t need to use USB Folder View exclusively to workaround most other annoyances or problems, allowing Folder View to become a 5th way to access tracks on my USB device.
  3. Be able to once again play a minimum of 6100 tracks with the Tesla 8.0 UI, as I could with 7.1
  4. Be able to play single and multi-disc albums in proper track sequence by DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER (Bug #3)
  5. Reduce UI complexities associated with TRACKARTIST (and likely dramatically reduce limited on-board memory usage by excluding this not-as-important-in-a-car detail, using TRACKALBUM instead (Bug #4)
  6. Convert Album Art to JPG, perhaps allowing even more Album Art to display in my MS (Bug #5)
  7. Apply Automatic Volume Leveling to each track making USB playback levels approximately the same for all tracks, when compared against FM Radio sources (Suggestion #6)
  8. After selecting tracks from iTunes, automate as much of the conversion process as possible, resulting in copies of the source files as FLAC on a USB Flash Drive

…and yes, I am proud to say I have accomplished all that, and can repeat the process without too much effort. What I’m doing is likely more involved than many of you will want to take on, or even care about considering …but it makes me a lot happier being able to listen to and access my music, pretty much my way in my Model S once again. :)

I now have a USB Flash Drive with 6125 tracks that completes an initial MS scan in a record 6 minutes (15-20 mins with 7.1), where I can both see and play tracks from any of my albums (including multi-disc) in proper sequence. I now see only the primary artists associated with each of my tracks and albums across Tesla’s UI, making scrolling and quick selection a lot simpler in several of the views. I’ve not yet found a track where my Album Art isn’t displaying properly, and perhaps more exciting to me… when I switch between FM to my music on USB and back, or listen to my fairly diverse USB tracks on random/shuffle, the relative volume remains about the same and I’m no longer fiddling with the steering wheel volume control as much as I have always had to do in my Tesla.

The disadvantages are it took a lot of time to figure out more precisely what the common bugs are, then how to workaround what was most important to me. Honestly, I never had to do anything like this in my former Lexus, MBZ or BMW. The process is not as easy or fast as what TeslaTunes use to provide me with essentially point-and-click against my iTunes library, and it built and maintained my USB stick for me from there on out. I do have this new procedure down to two major steps, with the most complex and longest part completely automated -- doing far more than I thought possible and frankly surpassing what I was able to do with TeslaTunes. Still, with my fairly high-end quad core 4GHz i7 iMac, it took more than 14.5 hours of dedicated hands-off time to move 6125 tracks through Step 2 of the conversion. I still have a few anomolies with the UI. Beyond missing the vertical alpha quick selection method, most notably, I’m now staring at DD-TT in front of every track title throughout the interface, but I’ll take that so I can see and play my tracks in correct album sequence whenever I want to. ...but overall, I've made some great tradeoffs for what bothered me most, and am pretty happy considering I still have to manage a workaround. ;)

A Summary of My Current Workaround Process, & the Tools I Use
  1. Extract files from iTunes that I want to listen to in my MS into a temporary subdirectory on my iMac SSD (it’s faster than USB and I have the work space)
    • I either drag & drop copies of tracks directly from iTunes to the temporary location, or
    • on my Mac, I use a tool called Export for iTunes ($7.99 on the macOS Store, and no, I have no affiliation with it) that gives me point-n-click access to my iTunes Playlists and Albums, and it does the extraction for me while I off doing something more important. (To keep things straight, I do not let it do any conversion that it is capable of on it's own.)
  2. Use dBpoweramp Music Converter for the complex automation and actual building of my USB device
    • No, it’s not free. dBpoweramp is $39 for macOS and Windows. My experience is with the Mac version that comes with two forms of conversion as well as a sophisticated CD Ripper.
      • Note: I have no connection to dBpoweramp, and don’t receive some sort of kickback from them …but, here’s a public thank you to @Boatguy for turning me onto the toolset months ago — it’s come in handy for a lot more than just re-ripping a few of my old CDs into lossless format.
    • dBpoweramp Batch Converter then:
      • let’s me point it at that temporary directory containing the source files I want to have converted for use in my MS
      • performs Volume Normalize analysis against each track, in an adaptive manner looking across in my case 6000ms windows of time to determine what to move up and down within the track without clipping. This is a very compute intensive process, hence why it takes an exponential amount of time to do the whole conversion.
      • puts the contents of ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST on every track
      • changes all Album Art to JPEG. I could have it also reduce size to perhaps save a little compute time inside my MS — I just have not gone that far into my exploration YET.
      • changes TRACKTITLE to “DISCNUMBER-TRACKNUMBER TRACKTITLE” on every track
      • converts every source file of varying encoding types to FLAC. Lossless remains lossless; Lossy does not get better or worse.
      • places the files once they are processed onto the USB device in whatever folder structure I desire for use in the Tesla’s Folder View (I’m presently using ALBUMARTIST/ALBUM/DISCNUMBER-TRACK-NUMBER TITLE, but that will certainly evolve over time.)

I hope that helps someone, even if some little detail is off. Maybe I’m done with this Sherlock Holmes episode at last!
Thank you very much for this post! Your efforts are much appreciated!!

• Love
Reactions: BertL