Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no facts, but I updated my stick with about 6100 tracks that was taking 6 mins to scan while everything else was essentially off with .40, to add another 700 tracks or so yesterday, and it's now taking well more than 20 minutes to scan the same physical device and directory structure. Something is afoot... I just don't know what yet, and honestly I'm running on fumes trying to continue doing PD/PSI on a basic function that has always just worked in every one of my former much-less-expensive vehicles.

RANT ON
These continued odd sort of failures are exasperating at least for me... (and I appreciate there ar others that either don't care or don't see a problem with what they are doing or expecting. Great for them. I like to listen to my music nearly all the time I'm in and driving my car. I have for many years, since cassette entered the picture, as the better answer to 8-track that I never installed in my first couple of cars back in the day. Tesla does not offer hardwired iPod capabilities like my former luxury vehicles. I don't want to use Bluetooth and have to physically fiddle with an external device that to me is as bad as texting while driving... These Tesla Media Player failures just take away a substantial amount from my Tesla ownership experience and satisfaction having to deal with so many idiosyncrasies that are basic and just work in other vehicles that cost 1/4 or less than my MS did. I do not accept Tesla has more important things to address, especially in functions that are common across a growing fleet. Owners should not have to trouble-shoot Infotainment in a $100K vehicle. Sorry for the rant. Time to open a bottle of wine and turn off this iPad. Good night. ;))
RANT OFF​
Lesson learned - I will never mess with mine! ;)

I have no facts, but I updated my stick with about 6100 tracks that was taking 6 mins to scan while everything else was essentially off with .40, to add another 700 tracks or so yesterday, and it's now taking well more than 20 minutes to scan the same physical device and directory structure. Something is afoot... I just don't know what yet, and honestly I'm running on fumes trying to continue doing PD/PSI on a basic function that has always just worked in every one of my former much-less-expensive vehicles.

RANT ON
These continued odd sort of failures are exasperating at least for me... (and I appreciate there ar others that either don't care or don't see a problem with what they are doing or expecting. Great for them. I like to listen to my music nearly all the time I'm in and driving my car. I have for many years, since cassette entered the picture, as the better answer to 8-track that I never installed in my first couple of cars back in the day. Tesla does not offer hardwired iPod capabilities like my former luxury vehicles. I don't want to use Bluetooth and have to physically fiddle with an external device that to me is as bad as texting while driving... These Tesla Media Player failures just take away a substantial amount from my Tesla ownership experience and satisfaction having to deal with so many idiosyncrasies that are basic and just work in other vehicles that cost 1/4 or less than my MS did. I do not accept Tesla has more important things to address, especially in functions that are common across a growing fleet. Owners should not have to trouble-shoot Infotainment in a $100K vehicle. Sorry for the rant. Time to open a bottle of wine and turn off this iPad. Good night. ;))
RANT OFF​
So, do you still feel they should move onto NAV or do you think they should a release a quality Media Player first?

So, do you still feel they should move onto NAV or do you think they should a release a quality Media Player first?
If Tesla can manage a solar panel business, develop a state of the art autonomous driving system, vertically integrate their business (imagine Ford acquiring Alcoa for the aluminum for the F-150) they can surely figure out how to replicate a 10yr old iPod, plus streaming, and incorporate the part time project of an undergraduate college student (EVTripPlanner) into their nav system. As Elon surely knows, it's not rocket science.

There is no need to spoon feed Tesla. They are profitable and have the resources; all they lack is the will.

Personally, I think the only way they will develop the will is to make this a very public issue for them. TMC is essentially preaching to the choir, none of the fanboy web sites (Teslarati, Electrek, etc.) that follow Tesla will ever report anything negative and the business press does not read TMC.

I disagree.
Why is this either/or? You have all done some excellent work in pulling together requirements. Publish them and pressure Tesla to fix both Nav and MP. They can chew gum and walk.

There are certainly different constituencies within TMC who take a interest in one or the other, many both, but it's not like Tesla can't do both at the same time.

Reactions: jgs
Both.

I've always said it's a question of how deep one should expect Tesla to go with nice-to-haves -- especially in it's earlier years. That's why I go quiet on some bugs and requirements others suggest where I personally don't see large numbers of owners really using it day-in and day-out, or that may engage Tesla Service asking why something does not work they way they expect. As a guy that spent the better part of his career making such tradeoffs and setting such priorities, beyond prospective additonal sales, those are major litmus tests for me. One-off's are great to make a few enthusiasts here on TMC happy -- no different than how Elon's Easter Eggs provide chuckles to a few for a short while, or gain some press for a day or two -- but neither address basic functionality that first fixes what is clearly broken, then catches up providing functionality the competition already provides, and owners like myself and a growing number of others in the future expect.

I am beyond giving Tesla slack for being a start-up, lack of resources, focus on AP or M3, blah-blah-blah. Tesla wants to play with the big boys, and I've shown my support of that by purchasing a MS, with an expectation my investment was a technological wonder not just as a long-range EV, but as one that will also provide Infotainment with at least similar functionality and quality I've had in other luxury vehicles costing half as much for years. I also expect great Customer Service as I had with Lexus and MBZ, which Tesla has not been able to consistenly demonstrate to me -- and it's not improving from my recent SvC experience. I'm confident there are well-meaning Tesla personnel that are working hard on the priorities they are given. So again, perhaps my beef is with management that must focus more on the Customer NOW -- not perhaps be spread so thin running multiple businesses, space, AI, political POV, etc that have nothing to do with the core Tesla Business and what makes a Tesla automobile the best it really could be from all the different ways owners see their investment. Automonomous is not the only thing that is important to every owner, or as has been said, isn't something used by every Owner as frequently today as playing music and using Nav to quickly and accurately get to a destination. Infotainment functions should just work, and really never be discussed as much as it continues to be on forums like this. Given Tesla is a great engineering firm, I'm confident a large amount of Infotainment code in MS today is the same as what is in MX, and will be reused in M3 next year. Fixing and improving all aspects of Infotainment NOW gives current owners what they expected when they first purchased their Tesla, and provides a solid foundation when M3 hits the streets next year to help ensure it's volume success.​

Last edited:
Is there some way to get rid of the audio SPAM (favorite icons?) on the bottom of the now playing panel? That stuff is ugly and I don't want it cluttering up my clean UI during playback.
No, unless you delete them one by one. Touch one icon for awhile and it will open up the ability to click an X in the upper right corner of each favorite, just like your Smartphone allows.

It wouldn't be so bad having those huge favorites if they were the correct images. I had two favorites set for stations in the Bay Area. For some reason it downloaded new images from the stations with the same frequencies while I was on a trip to LA (even though I never tuned them in while down there). So now I have the wrong icons! I assume this is related to the various bugs where images tend to be cached and show up on subsequent tracks as well, in error.

It wouldn't be so bad having those huge favorites if they were the correct images. I had two favorites set for stations in the Bay Area. For some reason it downloaded new images from the stations with the same frequencies while I was on a trip to LA (even though I never tuned them in while down there). So now I have the wrong icons! I assume this is related to the various bugs where images tend to be cached and show up on subsequent tracks as well, in error.
I've not tried doing a full reboot of my CID (foot on brake; press both wheels; let up on all 3 after Tesla T appears) to see if flushing the cache will cause Radio FM channel favorite icons to be re downloaded... It seems they come from the FM channels themselves as only some channels ever seem to get them. Give it a try though. Hopefully will help your situation.

Nose ear thing might help. I'm just trying to get you that initial first scan done and hopefully see how it works for a week with power savings turned off.
Well, I did the door-ajar-and-face-east thing and let it sit for ~5 hours, when I checked it was at 83% (of the first scan? or of a rescan? no telling). I wasn't going to leave it ajar all night so I closed it and in the morning, the library was available. I was able to play some music, nice. Then I listened to the radio a bit. When I returned to the car and decided to switch back from radio to USB... it was scanning the stick. So, for "how it works for a week" was a bit optimistic, we have "how it works for one drive".
My own experience with around 1/3rd of the total size you have ended up with a 1st initial scan that took 1hr, and then a 2nd followup scan after a restart that took 25min, and then a 3rd scan that was just under 5min. Since then, zero re-scans and I can usually jump right into searching music when I get into the car.
OK, I'll suspend disbelief and keep at it for a bit. Did you have to do the door-ajar dance for each followup scan?

Well, I did the door-ajar-and-face-east thing and let it sit for ~5 hours, when I checked it was at 83% (of the first scan? or of a rescan? no telling). I wasn't going to leave it ajar all night so I closed it and in the morning, the library was available. I was able to play some music, nice. Then I listened to the radio a bit. When I returned to the car and decided to switch back from radio to USB... it was scanning the stick. So, for "how it works for a week" was a bit optimistic, we have "how it works for one drive".

OK, I'll suspend disbelief and keep at it for a bit. Did you have to do the door-ajar dance for each followup scan?
I did for the rescan as well.

Just received .44.121 and comparing it to the list.

I should note that a screen reboot send to trigger some kind of *brief* refresh of the USB media. It's not anywhere near as bad as a first initial scan. But I would really really like some documenting on Tesla's part to tell us what it's doing in both cases and the how to/what triggers both.

Are other people having a problem with album art? I have songs which I have verified have 300x300 pixel art in the track but no art shows up in the media player.
As reported much earlier upthread in one of my dissertations :), I have some JPG and PNGs that display fine in native Mac, iTunes, iOS Music Player, and work with non-Apple apps like Pixelmator and some others, but fail with Photoshop and in Tesla's Media Player. I'm not astute enough to understand all the color implications, but IIRC I narrowed it down a few weeks ago to some problem with Color Spaces. I found the dBpoweramp JPEG Conversion option, and those same pieces of art in my case do show OK in Media Player after its conversion in my workaround process. I may have some other art that does not show correctly in my Tesla like you're finding, but I have not yet noticed any thus far ...sorta hard to scan through 6K tracks and check them out one-by-one sitting in my MS.

If you do track down something more specific on the pieces of art not showing in the Tesla, please report back. I'd suggest you send me the failing art itself via email, but I'm honestly beyond my skill level trying to do any more debugging on graphics and color standards to go any further on that oddity. Good luck!

Search for Michael Jackson and selection in Artists, plays the first alphabetical song but no more.

Playing a track from Songs, plays that track, but then the next track will be the next alphabetical track from master Songs list.

Ghost results appear to be gone.

Searching an album and selecting it from the results in Albums, plays the whole album in track order!

Searching for Daft Punk yields ALL tracks in Songs view.

Selecting Daft Punk from Artists results, plays one track by Daft Punk, no more.

Folder view still lists Artists and Albums with a 'The' in the title in the T's.

Folders still interspersed with files in directories that contain both.

Will test shuffle persistence and pause/resume/reset issues throughout the day tomorrow.