Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed early this morning that files with embedded artwork is primary. In fact, I hardly had any cover art and was wondering why this was happening and found the little albums view that displayed art had the art embedded in the FLAC or MP3 files I was viewing. I then edited all missing art and everything showed up.
Great feedback, thank you. I'd like to definably test this by connecting to a wireless network with a bad gateway to see if it still does this

So if you play a file by navigating by folder, does fill track info actually show up on both screens? Before, it only showed up the filename or title only.
The artist name and track name show up. No length of song, track number, etc. Once you do play the song it has length of song. The song also plays from the beginning if you exit the car and open it right back up.

I'd like to see source and position info saved in the driver profile. My wife and I use his and hers USB stick, currently it is a real PITA. She likes to play back hers alphabetically by song. I go random. So every time we switch profiles we have to figure out which USB is what (appears to be randomly assigned, and may change on the next restart), where we were, and change the settings. What a PITA.

Last edited:
The emphasis on the software changes appears to be "form over function".

The "improved" media player looks great with the display of more albums with artwork at one time.

The "improved" navigation display expands by auto-hiding other display elements and automatically changes scale to emphasize what the software believes is important.

But have these visual improvements provided an actual improvement in functionality? (such as the loss of the first letter quick scrolling, or the increased difficulty in seeing the console items which are now floating above the map display)

I'd like to see source and position info saved in the driver profile. My wife and I use his and hers USB stick, currently it is a real PITA. She likes to play back hers alphabetically by song. I go random. So every time we switch profiles we have to figure out which USB is what (appears to be randomly assigned, and may change on the next restart), where we were, and change the settings. What a PITA.

Would it be of any help is the USB inputs were labeled as suggested above. For example, if the USB sticks were actually "his" and "hers" in the media player?

Would it be of any help is the USB inputs were labeled as suggested above. For example, if the USB sticks were actually "his" and "hers" in the media player?
I don't know if this helps since I haven't plugged in two USBs I'm going to assume this is how it works. When you click USB under the media play, it displays the label of the drive. As long as you label them differently, you'll be able to differentiate which is which.

Reactions: supratachophobia
I don't know if this helps since I haven't plugged in two USBs I'm going to assume this is how it works. When you click USB under the media play, it displays the label of the drive. As long as you label them differently, you'll be able to differentiate which is which.
Great news that Tesla is looking for the USB volume label and uses it with 8.0. That's a plus!

IDK if the occasional (cannot be recreated on-demand) bug has been resolved with 8.0 where USB Slots occasionally renumber themselves, e.g. I always plug my USB stick into #2, but upon reentering my MS without rebooting the CID, for some reason both slots sometimes go into a rescan process, and a small percent of the time upon completion, my stick is now called USB1 even though it was not physically moved from the 2nd Slot. If the device volume labels are now always used, this will help workaround that little annoyance. ;)

Great news that Tesla is looking for the USB volume label and uses it with 8.0. That's a plus!

IDK if the occasional (cannot be recreated on-demand) bug has been resolved with 8.0 where USB Slots occasionally renumber themselves, e.g. I always plug my USB stick into #2, but upon reentering my MS without rebooting the CID, for some reason both slots sometimes go into a rescan process, and a small percent of the time upon completion, my stick is now called USB1 even though it was not physically moved from the 2nd Slot. If the device volume labels are now always used, this will help workaround that little annoyance. ;)

My apologies, this was my recommendation, as far as I know, Tesla has NOT implemented this feature where it reads the volume name. I think it would solve both issues though; eliminating confusion and making it irrelevant the order in which the ICU scans.

My apologies, this was my recommendation, as far as I know, Tesla has NOT implemented this feature where it reads the volume name. I think it would solve both issues though; eliminating confusion and making it irrelevant the order in which the ICU scans.
I disagree.
IMG_20160925_121744.jpg

Both were formatted FAT32 so can't confirm if it works with NTFS, exFAT, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and thecloud
I disagree.
View attachment 196150

Both were formatted FAT32 so can't confirm if it works with NTFS, exFAT, etc.

First of all, this is excellent, thank you for confirming. My USB media us exfat, so that might be the problem. I'll try and confirm. But Bertl is right that this is a great feature. In fact, this feature was requested in 7.1, so that's just another item that Tesla has listened to, which is fantastic.

iTunes treats these as "compilations" and there is a meta-data tag for that in the music tagging standard (see Metadatics)

That said, CarPlay would solve 99% of this, and bring other audio to our cars. Many people listen to podcasts which are not available at all in the Tesla. I personally listen to The Economist (a nice British voice reads the articles to me while I drive). Tesla will never support these, but if they adopted CarPlay (and presumably Android Auto), they would immediately be available.
Does the Album then list "Compilation"? Did you want the song to show up in each artist list, depending on how many were listed in the tag?

So that pretty confirms it. FAT32 reads the volume label now, NTFS and exFAT, it does not. I think this is why I used exFAT to begin with, because the partions sizes I was dealing with were all larger than 32GB.
FWIW, I've never had any vehicle USB work with anything other than FAT and FAT32 as those are much more universal formats not tied to a particular mfgr, and are accessible by most devices these days. I think you're somehow lucky that exFAT worked with 7.1 and before. ;)

1) This can be solved with play lists, but I having both is better: song ratings (ala stars in iTunes). Even better would be to let me import that countless hours of ratings I've put into my music directly into the car
2) I like to play songs in a play list randomly. A list of what's coming up would be great so I can skip to something on the list if it looks better at the time.
Is the star rating written to the MP3 tag?