Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my post #614. I have a few screenshots in there and I think the 4th one shows the results from searching an artist and under "Songs" it's showing the tracks from the albums I have on USB.
while searching for an artist does now find and list the artist on USB, I still can't use that to shuffle all songs from that artist either, if that artist has multiple albums. in fact the search results also have a strange navigation dead-end...

I just tested this in my car, by doing a search for an artist which I know has multiple albums on my USB:

- Search result correctly shows the artist name under the Artist -> USB tab
- clicking on the artist name loads up one of the songs for that artist and starts playing that song

However:
- it turns out that it loads just the first song on the first album of the artist

- ONLY that song will play without navigating to another album manually, even if multiple songs exist on that same first album i.e. you can't FF to the next track. FF does nothing at all. If you let the song play out to the end or manually move the scrubber to the end of the song, playback ends and you can't get to another song. It's as though that 1st song on the 1st album of the searched-for artist is the only song in existence, as far as the media player is concerned, after the search was done.

- if you press the ">" navigation arrow above the song that starts playing, you get back to the correct list of all the albums of that artist. But from there you still can't shuffle play all songs from all albums (same if you manually navigate to an artist with multiple albums). Either way, it's a big pain not being able to shuffle all songs from all albums of an artist on USB (like I could easily do with my phone or an old iPod).

BTW @msnow I looked at your post #614 and saw how in your case it seems all songs from several different albums show up. I don't see that when I click on the Songs tab of search results - none of my USB artist's songs seem to be in that list (see 5th/6th photos below) - only if I click on Artist -> USB do I see the correct list.

here are some example photos of my search results on USB:
1. first photo shows correct search result for "Eagles"
IMG_4921.JPG
2. second photo shows result of clicking on Eagles in the Artist/USB search result. It loads a song... but if you look closely the FF button is greyed out. You can't play anything but this song!
IMG_4922.JPG
3. this next photo shows result of clicking on the ">" navigation button next to My Music. It brings up the correct list of albums for this artist
IMG_4923.JPG
4. drilling down into the first album, we see the first song listed was the lone song loaded by the search result. This is repeatable with different artists. It always seems to load whichever song happens to be the first song in the first album listed.
IMG_4924.JPG
5. going back to the original search results. Under the Songs tab, all the songs for this artist on the USB are missing (photo shows the entire search result, it can't be scrolled)
IMG_4925.JPG
6. also back in the original search results, under the Albums tab, the correct albums on the USB are also missing
IMG_4926.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
while searching for an artist does now find and list the artist on USB, I still can't use that to shuffle all songs from that artist either, if that artist has multiple albums. in fact the search results also have a strange navigation dead-end...

I just tested this in my car, by doing a search for an artist which I know has multiple albums on my USB:

- Search result correctly shows the artist name under the Artist -> USB tab
- clicking on the artist name loads up one of the songs for that artist and starts playing that song

However:
- it turns out that it loads just the first song on the first album of the artist

- ONLY that song will play without navigating to another album manually, even if multiple songs exist on that same first album i.e. you can't FF to the next track. FF does nothing at all. If you let the song play out to the end or manually move the scrubber to the end of the song, playback ends and you can't get to another song. It's as though that 1st song on the 1st album of the searched-for artist is the only song in existence, as far as the media player is concerned, after the search was done.

- if you press the ">" navigation arrow above the song that starts playing, you get back to the correct list of all the albums of that artist. But from there you still can't shuffle play all songs from all albums (same if you manually navigate to an artist with multiple albums). Either way, it's a big pain not being able to shuffle all songs from all albums of an artist on USB (like I could easily do with my phone or an old iPod).

BTW @msnow I looked at your post #614 and saw how in your case it seems all songs from several different albums show up. I don't see that when I click on the Songs tab of search results - none of my USB artist's songs seem to be in that list (see 5th/6th photos below) - only if I click on Artist -> USB do I see the correct list.

here are some example photos of my search results on USB:
1. first photo shows correct search result for "Eagles"
View attachment 203853
2. second photo shows result of clicking on Eagles in the Artist/USB search result. It loads a song... but if you look closely the FF button is greyed out. You can't play anything but this song!
View attachment 203854
3. this next photo shows result of clicking on the ">" navigation button next to My Music. It brings up the correct list of albums for this artist
View attachment 203855
4. drilling down into the first album, we see the first song listed was the lone song loaded by the search result. This is repeatable with different artists. It always seems to load whichever song happens to be the first song in the first album listed.
View attachment 203856
5. going back to the original search results. Under the Songs tab, all the songs for this artist on the USB are missing (photo shows the entire search result, it can't be scrolled)
View attachment 203857
6. also back in the original search results, under the Albums tab, the correct albums on the USB are also missing
View attachment 203858
I have a similar issue wrt "albums" in that it's incomplete compared to the folder view. Also, I never tried shuffling the "songs" but assume you are correct and it wouldn't work for me either. What's intersting is that my "songs" view looks like tracks while yours has less detail. Maybe it's in the way each of us tagged it but I thought that was odd.

I have a similar issue wrt "albums" in that it's incomplete compared to the folder view. Also, I never tried shuffling the "songs" but assume you are correct and it wouldn't work for me either. What's intersting is that my "songs" view looks like tracks while yours has less detail. Maybe it's in the way each of us tagged it but I thought that was odd.
Yeah I'm guessing tags must have something to do with the different looking views you and I see under Songs. Not sure why. Though as I mentioned in the example I gave, neither Songs nor Albums tab in search results showed any of my songs on USB, all of which which did show up correctly in Artist view.

Anyhow, shuffle on USB for artists across all their albums doesn't work - too bad because that's one of the common things I want to do with my USB collection. (Especially since Slacker is useless to play songs of just a single selected artist) And on top of that as I explained it looks like search itself on USB is kind of broken too - at least for artists with multiple albums.

Btw this is a bit of an aside, and more to do with the new media player itself than USB specific - but is anybody else bothered by the confusing navigation UI with those "<" and ">" buttons? e.g. In my example in the post above, why does ">" next to the volume name to go back from a single song to a view of all albums - shouldn't a left-facing "<" consistently mean to go "back" to whatever previous level of hierarchy? I still find myself pressing whichever < or > is presented and sometimes ending up in a different place than expected. Seems confusing, the UI in general, I hesitate to fiddle with music while I'm driving now because it always takes many more button presses than I expect. As many others have already commented, I think there was too much effort to make the 8.0 player look pretty, without regard to actual usability.

Btw this is a bit of an aside, and more to do with the new media player itself than USB specific - but is anybody else bothered by the confusing navigation UI with those "<" and ">" buttons? e.g. In my example in the post above, why does ">" next to the volume name to go back from a single song to a view of all albums - shouldn't a left-facing "<" consistently mean to go "back" to whatever previous level of hierarchy? I still find myself pressing whichever < or > is presented and sometimes ending up in a different place than expected. Seems confusing, the UI in general, I hesitate to fiddle with music while I'm driving now because it always takes many more button presses than I expect. As many others have already commented, I think there was too much effort to make the 8.0 player look pretty, without regard to actual usability.
Absolutely. v8 was all about a pretty face for the store, with no energy spent on actually making it useful for someone to play music. The UI is ghastly. It's like the media player was developed by people who don't actually listen to music.

Tonight I stripped all the unused tags out of the music on my USB stick, leaving just those suggested by @BertL. I copied them all back to the stick, two level hierarchy of five folders containing roughly 10,000 tracks in total, all mp4, not FLAC, about 90GB. All with just a Disk-Track-Title filename. It took 4 minutes to get from "Starting" to "Loading". After a total of seven minutes it was at 2%. I expect it will take a couple of hours to complete loading. Stripping tags did not appear to change anything. The USB support is FUBAR.

Tonight I stripped all the unused tags out of the music on my USB stick, leaving just those suggested by @BertL. I copied them all back to the stick, two level hierarchy of five folders containing roughly 10,000 tracks in total, all mp4, not FLAC, about 90GB. All with just a Disk-Track-Title filename. It took 4 minutes to get from "Starting" to "Loading". After a total of seven minutes it was at 2%. I expect it will take a couple of hours to complete loading. Stripping tags did not appear to change anything. The USB support is FUBAR.
I know there are lots of USB Media Player issues, but have you tried both another USB Flash Drive as well as ensuring you reformat it as FAT32?

I've just had too many issues with USB Flash Drives that are too easy to chalk up to a Tesla issue without a lot more diagnosis. As I said upthread, I've gone so far as to buy a drive speed test utility so I can try to figure out what's going on. Symptoms are two things: Nearly 2-3X time to scan/rescan the same library on sticks by the same mfgr with supposedly the same hardware specs, and/or sometimes what seems like more rescans and longer CID reboot times (likely because of horrible Tesla error recovery or device support, hence why Tesla officially recommends no USB device be left in the USB port at vehicle start-up -- as dumb as that is from an owner perspective.)

Have gone through at least 7 or 8 of these things in the past 3 months... I'm really good at RMA processes with all brand names: SanDisk, Patriot, PNY. Two old Kingstons stopped working with all my repeated testing, so what that was about, IDK. Even so-called top-of-the-line PNY Pro Elites that have supposed 400MB/sec read speed, I've had two that were exponentially slower than cheap $20 sticks, one that began slowing a week after use -- both were returned. One of the PNY Pro Elites is now one of my two best sticks speed-wise, although I do get some rescans with it. Another lower speed PNY (also 256GB) takes 5X as long to write my library to it, but once it's in my MS, there are almost no rescans. I've been through 4 different 256GB Patriots -- one works like a charm but is a monster in terms of size, the other one, well, I just got my 2nd replacement for it. SanDisk is a similar situation. Lower GB drives seem to work pretty well, but 256GB are more hit and miss. Have replaced one and unsure if that is any better than what I originally had.

Everyone will cite their own views, but mine is USB Flash Drives are pretty solid with lower GB. Newer 256GB are more problematic -- speed from one drive to another varies widely. Read speed is what we really care about with our MS, but Write is a big deal for those of us with larger libraries -- e.g. trying to erase 160GB of data taking more than 5 hours isn't reasonable with a top-of-the-line stick. ;) MS only runs at USB 2.0 speed, so if you go with USB 3.0 devices, great (assuming they really are faster -- many are not) for use on your Mac/PC when building your stick.​
Also, be sure to reformat the drive. Most come formatted and partitioned for Windows and I've found can be problematic if I don't always repartition and reformat before placing tracks on a fresh drive with my Mac. On a Mac with Disk Utility, click the physical flash drive on the left side of the interface (not the partition name that may be under it); Click Erase; Give the drive a name; Format should always be "MS-DOS (FAT)"; Scheme should be "GUID Partition Map". I now reformat every new stick after I open the package.​

Good luck. ...and I agree, it just shouldn't be this hard.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Just a quick update: We were in the car over the last week for about 28 hours total. One day was 14 hours. We charged every few hours and not once did I notice extended re-scans. In fact I never noticed any. (my disc is about 3500 tracks on 300+ albums, all in FLAC. music>artist>album structure).

Biggest complaint was that every charger stop did require me to do another selection. It would not resume after charging.

I know there are lots of USB Media Player issues, but have you tried both another USB Flash Drive as well as ensuring you reformat it as FAT32?

I've just had too many issues with USB Flash Drives that are too easy to chalk up to a Tesla issue without a lot more diagnosis. As I said upthread, I've gone so far as to buy a drive speed test utility so I can try to figure out what's going on. Symptoms are two things: Nearly 2-3X time to scan/rescan the same library on sticks by the same mfgr with supposedly the same hardware specs, and/or sometimes what seems like more rescans and longer CID reboot times (likely because of horrible Tesla error recovery or device support, hence why Tesla officially recommends no USB device be left in the USB port at vehicle start-up -- as dumb as that is from an owner perspective.)

Have gone through at least 7 or 8 of these things in the past 3 months... I'm really good at RMA processes with all brand names: SanDisk, Patriot, PNY. Two old Kingstons stopped working with all my repeated testing, so what that was about, IDK. Even so-called top-of-the-line PNY Pro Elites that have supposed 400MB/sec read speed, I've had two that were exponentially slower than cheap $20 sticks, one that began slowing a week after use -- both were returned. One of the PNY Pro Elites is now one of my two best sticks speed-wise, although I do get some rescans with it. Another lower speed PNY (also 256GB) takes 5X as long to write my library to it, but once it's in my MS, there are almost no rescans. I've been through 4 different 256GB Patriots -- one works like a charm but is a monster in terms of size, the other one, well, I just got my 2nd replacement for it. SanDisk is a similar situation. Lower GB drives seem to work pretty well, but 256GB are more hit and miss. Have replaced one and unsure if that is any better than what I originally had.

Everyone will cite their own views, but mine is USB Flash Drives are pretty solid with lower GB. Newer 256GB are more problematic -- speed from one drive to another varies widely. Read speed is what we really care about with our MS, but Write is a big deal for those of us with larger libraries -- e.g. trying to erase 160GB of data taking more than 5 hours isn't reasonable with a top-of-the-line stick. ;) MS only runs at USB 2.0 speed, so if you go with USB 3.0 devices, great (assuming they really are faster -- many are not) for use on your Mac/PC when building your stick.​
Also, be sure to reformat the drive. Most come formatted and partitioned for Windows and I've found can be problematic if I don't always repartition and reformat before placing tracks on a fresh drive with my Mac. On a Mac with Disk Utility, click the physical flash drive on the left side of the interface (not the partition name that may be under it); Click Erase; Give the drive a name; Format should always be "MS-DOS (FAT)"; Scheme should be "GUID Partition Map". I now reformat every new stick after I open the package.​

Good luck. ...and I agree, it just shouldn't be this hard.
Very informative as usual! A few follow up questions.
  1. It sounds like you test the sticks on an ongoing basis? Is there an "infant mortality" and then they stabilize, or do they deteriorate a any time?
  2. I found the Blackmagic disk benchmark for MacOS, is that what you are using?
  3. MacOS disk utility offers FAT and exFAT, I assume you're suggesting FAT?
  4. I've been using a very low profile stick so it wouldn't get bumped and tweak the Tesla USB connector. Any concerns there?

Very informative as usual! A few follow up questions.
  1. It sounds like you test the sticks on an ongoing basis? Is there an "infant mortality" and then they stabilize, or do they deteriorate a any time?
  2. I found the Blackmagic disk benchmark for MacOS, is that what you are using?
  3. MacOS disk utility offers FAT and exFAT, I assume you're suggesting FAT?
  4. I've been using a very low profile stick so it wouldn't get bumped and tweak the Tesla USB connector. Any concerns there?
1. Yes I test ongoing, but only as I change something on the stick or wonder if something has changed -- not super scientific in my frequency. I am now naming each stick differently and with version numbers so as one gets replaced, I can sort of see what goes on with its replacements. I do think there are some duds out of the box (poor QA), and some infant mortality as you suggest... but I still don't get what happened to my two Kingstons that I've had for years, were both working fine with my in-and-out testing, and then out of nowhere would not longer even format after having pulled them from my MS. I don't want to suggest my MS did something to the drives, but it's odd coincidence just the same.

2. I went on the cheap. I'm using DiskMark. It keeps a simple log by volume name of each test it runs with sequential/random read and writes. Trick is, you MUST physically disconnect all other USB devices and any hubs, so only the single stick is in the Mac being tested, or you can influence results with other traffic or say a USB 2.0 device that pulls down speed for the entire port if on the same hub. DIskMark is really designed for faster HDD, so isn't as granular as I'd like for slower USB sticks, but Gives me enough info to see if a stick is way out of whack for $5 or whatever it was.

3. RIght. FAT (which is FAT32 in Windowz-speak). ExFAT will not work. Heed my advice about ensuring you redo the partitioning by clicking on the volume, not the partition name when you "erase" using Disk Utility (last paragraph in post above). It does make a difference.

4. I have good results with my SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit and really like that I don't knock it around when dusting my Cockpit, but I stopped using it when I realized it ran so hot I couldn't hold it by the metal connectors for long after removing it from the USB port. We don't have the phantom playing problem with 8.0 like we've put up with in earlier releases, but It still makes me uncomfortable having something that hot in my USB ports with all the other issues going on with USB error Recovery and Media Player support. I simply went to a larger profile that spreads the heat out into the cockpit vs in the port itself, to rule out excessive heat as a spurious reason for say rescans... IDK If it has anything at all to do with it, but that's where I am on low profile sticks.

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy
1. Yes I test ongoing, but only as I change something on the stick or wonder if something has changed -- not super scientific in my frequency. I am now naming each stick differently and with version numbers so as one gets replaced, I can sort of see what goes on with its replacements. I do think there are some duds out of the box (poor QA), and some infant mortality as you suggest... but I still don't get what happened to my two Kingstons that I've had for years, were both working fine with my in-and-out testing, and then out of nowhere would not longer even format after having pulled them from my MS. I don't want to suggest my MS did something to the drives, but it's odd coincidence just the same.

2. I went on the cheap. I'm using DiskMark. It keeps a simple log by volume name of each test it runs with sequential/random read and writes. Trick is, you MUST physically disconnect all other USB devices and any hubs, so only the single stick is in the Mac being tested, or you can influence results with other traffic or say a USB 2.0 device that pulls down speed for the entire port if on the same hub. DIskMark is really designed for faster HDD, so isn't as granular as I'd like for slower USB sticks, but Gives me enough info to see if a stick is way out of whack for $5 or whatever it was.

3. RIght. FAT (which is FAT32 in Windowz-speak). ExFAT will not work. Heed my advice about ensuring you redo the partitioning by clicking on the volume, not the partition name when you "erase" using Disk Utility (last paragraph in post above). It does make a difference.

4. I have good results with my SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit and really like that I don't knock it around when dusting my Cockpit, but I stopped using it when I realized it ran so hot I couldn't hold it by the metal connectors for long after removing it from the USB port. We don't have the phantom playing problem with 8.0 like we've put up with in earlier releases, but It still makes me uncomfortable having something that hot in my USB ports with all the other issues going on with USB error Recovery and Media Player support. I simply went to a larger profile that spreads the heat out into the cockpit vs in the port itself, to rule out excessive heat as a spurious reason for say rescans... IDK If it has anything at all to do with it, but that's where I am on low profile sticks.
Re #4: The PNY 256G Elite may not be considered "compact" but it's the smallest one I own at about 1.5" fully open (not sheathed) and never gets in the way. Also, as stated upthread, a full scan for me is about 2 minutes which only occurred the first time I put it in with 8.0.xx. Since then it's either instaneous (no rescans) or just a few seconds.

Re #4: The PNY 256G Elite may not be considered "compact" but it's the smallest one I own at about 1.5" fully open (not sheathed) and never gets in the way. Also, as stated upthread, a full scan for me is about 2 minutes which only occurred the first time I put it in with 8.0.xx. Since then it's either instaneous (no rescans) or just a few seconds.
...and for me with the same make/model of PNY stick and MS built within a couple weeks of one another, I've had at least 2 poor performing sticks of the same make/model, and even with my best performing stick, still have 15min+ scan times and occasional rescans. Point is, there are variables beyond what any of us have (yet) identified causing the differences.

...and for me with the same make/model of PNY stick and MS built within a couple weeks of one another, I've had at least 2 poor performing sticks of the same make/model, and even with my best performing stick, still have 15min+ scan times and occasional rescans. Point is, there are variables beyond what any of us have (yet) identified causing the differences.
Understood although I took your earlier post to say your PNY Elite was one of your two fastest devices with few rescans. I just did a search on "PNY Elite" and looks like either they don't make it anymore or changed the product name on pny's site. They now have Pro Elite (top of the line), Elite-X and Turbo. Mine looks more like what they are now calling Elite-X and Turbo.

Ok then we have different devices. I just pulled it out and took pictures. The package said "PNY Elite" the device just says "PNY" so I don't know what it is. I'll just call it Usain Bolt due to its unusual speed :).
View attachment 203978 View attachment 203979
Yes. Different device, or at least form factor. See attached picture ... last two devices lower right.

Challenges I've previously described happen in my MS on many USB Flash Drives within my collection (which grew substantially over the last 6 months as I embarked on this !($##$%& Media Player USB testing game.) E.g. I had a rescan (my definition) happen with <700 tracks on my SanDisk Cruiser Glide just yesterday, as has happened on most of the others below.

My USB Flash Drive collection:
- 2X Kingston 2GB Traveler USB 2.0 -- died during MS testing, hopefully they found new life at a recycling center
- Kingston 16GB Datatraveler USB 2.0 (I've had it for years; solid as a rock, just slow as molasses)
- Patriot 256GB Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 (probably my best stick, just way too big)
- Patriot 256GB Supersonic XT USB 3.0 (my 3rd one)
- SanDisk 256GB Cruiser Glide USB 2.0 (my 2nd one; with performance about the same as the 256GB Ultra 3.0)
- SanDisk 256GB Ultra USB 3.0 (yes, I cut off the useless plastic keychain hook to make it shorter)
- SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 (solid performer, but runs super HOT)
- PNY 256GB Turbo Elite USB 3.0 (my 2nd one)
- 2X PNY 256GB Pro Elite USB 3.0 (both are replacements for the originals)

IMG_1282.jpg

Yes. Different device, or at least form factor. See attached picture ... last two devices lower right.

Challenges I've previously described happen in my MS on many USB Flash Drives within my collection (which grew substantially over the last 6 months as I embarked on this !($##$%& Media Player USB testing game.) E.g. I had a rescan (my definition) happen with <700 tracks on my SanDisk Cruiser Glide just yesterday, as has happened on most of the others below.

My USB Flash Drive collection:
- 2X Kingston 2GB Traveler USB 2.0 -- died during MS testing, hopefully they found new life at a recycling center
- Kingston 16GB Datatraveler USB 2.0 (I've had it for years; solid as a rock, just slow as molasses)
- Patriot 256GB Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 (probably my best stick, just way too big)
- Patriot 256GB Supersonic XT USB 3.0 (my 3rd one)
- SanDisk 256GB Cruiser Glide USB 2.0 (my 2nd one; with performance about the same as the 256GB Ultra 3.0)
- SanDisk 256GB Ultra USB 3.0 (yes, I cut off the useless plastic keychain hook to make it shorter)
- SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 (solid performer, but runs super HOT)
- PNY 256GB Turbo Elite USB 3.0 (my 2nd one)
- 2X PNY 256GB Pro Elite USB 3.0 (both are replacements for the originals)

View attachment 204039
What are the markings on the lower right of those two PNY's you have there?

apologies if I have missed this upthread but it is a known issue that the USB stick has to be re-plugged in each time the car is started?

I find the disappearing top menu and new media player, major Spotify comression and distinctly underwhelming UHFS mean that I dont bother so much with music now which is a pity, recently though I thought I'd go back to USB after giving up on it with the first build of v8.

Then I find no USB (128GB Sandisk), so I unplug and there it is again, on way home again no USB so I re-plug it in and sure enough it re-appears and even starts playing where it left off.

If anybody has seen this and knows a solution I sure would be grateful.

apologies if I have missed this upthread but it is a known issue that the USB stick has to be re-plugged in each time the car is started?

I find the disappearing top menu and new media player, major Spotify comression and distinctly underwhelming UHFS mean that I dont bother so much with music now which is a pity, recently though I thought I'd go back to USB after giving up on it with the first build of v8.

Then I find no USB (128GB Sandisk), so I unplug and there it is again, on way home again no USB so I re-plug it in and sure enough it re-appears and even starts playing where it left off.

If anybody has seen this and knows a solution I sure would be grateful.

I have not encountered a problem where I have to unplug and plug back in the same USB stick for it to be found by the interface -- except with a USB Flash Drive that had completely failed. OTOH, many of us have found problems with Media Player unnecessarially rescanning the device upon re entering our MS. To help eliminate where the problem may be:

1. Does this happen when your USB Flash Drive is plugged into both USB ports? Have you tried both?
2. Does your USB Flash Drive work OK in another player (your PC, Mac, a Boom Box or other device?)
3. Have you tried rebooting your CID? Put MS in Park. Hold down the brake. Push and hold both steering wheel dials until the Tesla T appears on the CID, then let up on the brake, and control wheels.
4. Have you tried another USB Flash Drive? AS you may have seen from other lists here, some of us have encountered problems with individual USB sticks, which are not a Tesla issue.
5. If you are then still having problems, it may be time to call your Service Center.

Good luck.