Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that pretty confirms it. FAT32 reads the volume label now, NTFS and exFAT, it does not. I think this is why I used exFAT to begin with, because the partions sizes I was dealing with were all larger than 32GB.
So just use something like fat32formatter. I think it supports up to 2TB. For some reason I don't think they implemented support for partitions other than FAT and FAT32. Given that it is Linux, pretty trivial considering you're only talking about read as opposed to write.

Last edited:
Does the Album then list "Compilation"? Did you want the song to show up in each artist list, depending on how many were listed in the tag?
I still don't have 8.0, but in 7.1 and before, IMHO the issue with compilations is largely because there are varying artists or combinations of artists on each track. If one has their tracks tagged with the multiple names in the (track) artist field, but say only the primary artist or group in the "Album Artist" tag like I do, Media Player used to be totally messed up when using the Album Tab because it uses the (track) Artist field for access. The most elegant way around that, with perhaps a lot more programming, is if Tesla used either the compilation tag as @Boatguy suggests, or more easily just used the Album Artist tag when accessing tracks via the "Album Artist" tab instead of the "track artist" tag as it has been doing. I have a lot of albums and songs show up as "Various Artists" that way, but IMHO it would be an easier change for Tesla to implement. One still does not have a search ability in Media Player to find artists that may be on individual tracks like say I can search for and have with Playlists in iTunes, but at least the tab becomes usable. (That logical swapping of album artist with track artist is one of the workarounds I have TeslaTunes doing for me so I can make use of some of the Media Player tabs in the old interface.)

Can I add an amen to the original post?

I really try not to get whiny about firmware, but this area has become an exception. The hifi system only sounds good with lossless format so it needs to support USB, which is only way to play lossless. I've put up with the album art comedy for 4 years. Give me back my alpha shortcut and albums by artist, please! At least.

I just tried folder.jpg and that didn't work. I tried again but with MP3 file just in case it was file format specific. Tried variations with folder.jpg, cover.jpg, <album name>.jpg which none of it worked.
I feel like some tagging programs (mp3tagit) can copy the album art jpeg into the embedded track. And this can be scripted. I'll verify this because this might be a low hanging fruit for those of us with jpegs in album folders but are not using embedded tag art yet.

Just to continue to update things as we go:

1. Bring back letter shortcuts for song lists
2. Playlist support in general / also remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of. If I'm understanding correctly, if you play a Recent' that was part of an album or selected to play a song while it was part of a list, it goes back into playing the same album or the same list respectivly
3. Allow search to extend to USB media
4. Proper support for multi-artist albums - Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artst if song artist is not populated
5. "Bookmark" exact place in audio track and be able to move on do a different song (bed able to store something like 5 booksmarks, much like the favorites screen)
6. Be able to resume playing a track from where it was when the car turned off / do not contine playing a track under scheduled charge conditions starts over
7. Queue next song, artist, album by making the text in now playing hot-linked, matches are moved from their existing place in the playlist to next in queue

**Took out two suggestions because they weren't USB related, totally my fault. Thanks BertL.

Clarification: "Understand and obey/translate star ratings in iTunes" (but only possible if star rating is part of MP3 tag, which I don't think it is, is it?) - SORRY! / Another problem is implementing star rating editing in the media player would require writing to USB media which I believe, Tesla is averse to

With regards to the latest build of v8 and assuming the confirmations on this thread are true, please confirm or deny if you can: Full track info is displayed now when track is picked from Folder View / USB volume name is displayed if file system is FAT32 (exFAT and NTFS is a no go, but that's ok) / artwork on USB media is detected and obeyed (if it is embedded in the MP3 tag info, album art in folder is ignored).

Some solid wins for Tesla here, I'm encouraged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boatguy
ITunes Star rating is not a MP3 tag. It is maintained in the .itl file, not with the individual track tagging.

I suggest there are different implementations of what you may be referencing as "auto volume leveling". There are fairly wide acceptable methods whereby tracks can be pre-analyzed and then tagged, such that when they are played-back, their level across the track is brought up or down to e.g. make the softer part a little louder, and perhaps the louder parts softer. That sort of thing would of course only apply to USB music in an MS, but requires the tracks to be pre-analyzed and tagged, with a player that then looks for that encoding. OTOH, some vehicles use a cabin microphone to constantly monitor cabin noise and as it changes, it dynamically changes the driver-set volume level to keep the music source seem like it stays the same even say at higher speeds when the external sounds have gone up. Lexus e.g. calls their implementation of that "ASL" or automatic sound leveling. My MBZ had something similar of their own with the COMAND option. Some vehicles today are taking that another step and optionally adding white noise to mask background noise. The question I think is which are you really wanting, or do you want all of that?

You've got the lead here, but one last observation. ...just be careful as you're taking input and trying to consolidate. This thread started being USB-focused, but a growing number of your requirements cross media types beyond just USB. If you are going to do that, your scope may need to be redefined broader for anything related to Media Player (ASL and equalizer are examples.)

ITunes Star rating is not a MP3 tag. It is maintained in the .itl file, not with the individual track tagging.

I suggest there are different implementations of what you may be referencing as "auto volume leveling". There are fairly wide acceptable methods whereby tracks can be pre-analyzed and then tagged, such that when they are played-back, their level across the track is brought up or down to e.g. make the softer part a little louder, and perhaps the louder parts softer. That sort of thing would of course only apply to USB music in an MS, but requires the tracks to be pre-analyzed and tagged, with a player that then looks for that encoding. OTOH, some vehicles use a cabin microphone to constantly monitor cabin noise and as it changes, it dynamically changes the driver-set volume level to keep the music source seem like it stays the same even say at higher speeds when the external sounds have gone up. Lexus e.g. calls their implementation of that "ASL" or automatic sound leveling. My MBZ had something similar of their own with the COMAND option. Some vehicles today are taking that another step and optionally adding white noise to mask background noise. The question I think is which are you really wanting, or do you want all of that?

You've got the lead here, but one last observation. ...just be careful as you're taking input and trying to consolidate. This thread started being USB-focused, but a growing number of your requirements cross media types beyond just USB. If you are going to do that, your scope may need to be redefined broader for anything related to Media Player (ASL and equalizer are examples.)

You are exactly right. I think USB love was the original intent, but Media Player may be the overarching goal here. That's feature-creep for you. With regards to ASL, I'm really just spitballing off of Korben's list because that was a popular suggestion. I don't believe the analyzing of tracks is the best option, so that leaves the microphone. But if that is too difficult / raises more challenges / can't be done, then I would say to take the cheater route and base it solely on mph/kph. That would a happy medium between accuracy and goal although perhaps not perfect all the time.

Thanks for the feedback and the help in keep this thread on focus.

You are exactly right. I think USB love was the original intent, but Media Player may be the overarching goal here. That's feature-creep for you. With regards to ASL, I'm really just spitballing off of Korben's list because that was a popular suggestion. I don't believe the analyzing of tracks is the best option, so that leaves the microphone. But if that is too difficult / raises more challenges / can't be done, then I would say to take the cheater route and base it solely on mph/kph. That would a happy medium between accuracy and goal although perhaps not perfect all the time.

Thanks for the feedback and the help in keep this thread on focus.
The problem is not "how", it's the will to do it at all.

Perfect is the enemy of good, or in this case, acceptable is the enemy of barely adequate. In this case, @supratachophobia's list is what we'd need for "acceptable" but right now, I would sadly settle for getting back to the "barely adequate" we had with 7.1, at least for now. What I want right away now dammit is item #1, "Bring back letter shortcuts for song lists". Lack of that makes my ~25k track USB library flat-out unusable in any meaningful sense since I'm not willing to devote my life to reorganizing the directory structure. I also want the bug I've complained about over on the 8.0 thread fixed, where my car won't even complete scanning my stick unless I have energy saving disabled, but maybe we can put that on yet another list of plain old, flat-out bugs.

Finally, one more (should have been table stakes) feature request I don't think I see yet: ability to add an album, not just a track, to "favorites". (I suppose this might be subsumed under "playlist" and it certainly could be simulated with a playlist.)

By the way, since @BertL has some speculations around this, my (USB FAT32) filesystem looks like:

/music/arbitrary_name/artist/album/track.m4a

and it was shallower previously; I added the "music" top-level directory while noodling around trying to figure out WTF was wrong, I guess while I'm at it I'll trim it back out. There are three quite large directories (4900 files each), otherwise it's all pretty unexceptional. Total library content ~25k tracks as I've mentioned earlier.

I wonder if some bright spark switched from an O(N) algorithm for scanning the filesystem to an O(N^2) one, or something like that. It's what it smells like.

So....another major issue. I have a USB drive with about 120GB of FLAC, AAC, and mp3s. Obviously, the new navigation system is a disaster for people with large collections. However, even worse, I discovered that my car rescans the drive everytime I restart the car. And that scan is dramatically slower than on 7.1 This means my music is not available for the first 15 minutes of each trip. That's just not acceptable.

Reactions: jcadman22
By the way, since @BertL has some speculations around this, my (USB FAT32) filesystem looks like:

/music/arbitrary_name/artist/album/track.m4a

and it was shallower previously; I added the "music" top-level directory while noodling around trying to figure out WTF was wrong, I guess while I'm at it I'll trim it back out. There are three quite large directories (4900 files each), otherwise it's all pretty unexceptional. Total library content ~25k tracks as I've mentioned earlier.

I wonder if some bright spark switched from an O(N) algorithm for scanning the filesystem to an O(N^2) one, or something like that. It's what it smells like.

Have you been able to confirm if others are having the same USB scanning issues as related to energy saving status?

My FAT32 volume name is a bunch of escaped hex bytes ("\x4d\x..."). So that's nice. I would have preferred USB1, or whatever generic name it got previously.

So....another major issue. I have a USB drive with about 120GB of FLAC, AAC, and mp3s. Obviously, the new navigation system is a disaster for people with large collections. However, even worse, I discovered that my car rescans the drive everytime I restart the car. And that scan is dramatically slower than on 7.1 This means my music is not available for the first 15 minutes of each trip. That's just not acceptable.

This started sometime during the 7.x series. It used to only scan when it was inserted, but noticed more recently it started scanning every time. Little annoying it takes longer, though. Wonder if it's scanning in artwork too? That might explain it.

You need an SSD