Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You Narada guys desperately need some Mingus, ornette, miles, coltrane, or sun ra. I used to play with a pianist who said "I won't jazz up your folk if you don't folk up my jazz" but I'll never get where new age lives in that spectrum. Personal view of course!:cool:

You Narada guys desperately need some Mingus, ornette, miles, coltrane, or sun ra. I used to play with a pianist who said "I won't jazz up your folk if you don't folk up my jazz" but I'll never get where new age lives in that spectrum. Personal view of course!:cool:

Of my two USB drives of music, Red Pill and Blue Pill, Blue is overwhelmingly Coltrane, Miles, and the like.

I've gone back to USB playback over the last week or so. I don't really have anything new to report as I'm seeing some or all of the issues reported above since the last dot update. I'm planning on waiting until 8.1 to see where things stand. If that gets me to re-rip my entire (ugh) collection of music to standardize the format, tagging, and organization, so be it. Maybe that's even a good thing!

Reactions: msnow
On the FWIW front with .22, I went ahead and added a PNY SSD to my already way-too-big collection of USB devices purchased just for my Tesla. I rebuilt tracks, naming and tagging identical on the SSD to what I've been using the last several weeks with my former PNY 256GB.

The net? Yes, it's a whole lot faster to put data onto the SSD that even the fastest Flash Drive out there with my Mac. ...but in less than 24 hours being in my MS, I have already had my first rescan with the SSD. I was listening to my USB, parked, came back a couple hours later and no music or USB device displaying on the MP Media sources menu. After a short while, the rescan began, and after complete, received the infamous "loading error" on the track that was formerly playing, then played the game switching away and back to the track, when it continued playing until I got home and out of my MS. So, while I know many of us are having different experiences, my new SSD does not seem to act any better than my former flash drives with unexpected rescans.

Studdering. It's back, at least for me who remains stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone.

Running 2.52.22 and using my PNY USB SSD as the music source.. Was not using Nav or AP at the time, so I can't really blame it on the CID being too busy. ;) Just listening to a FLAC and all of a sudden the tune was stuck playing a brief moment over-and-over-and-over... I let it do that for a few seconds to be sure MP wasn't going to reset itself, touched pause, then play, and MP was back to normal. Scrubbed back in the track to before the problem occurred, and it played through the 2nd time just fine and worked "normally" for the rest of my trip home.​

...and I thought this annoyance had maybe disappeared since I had not encountered it in the last couple of code drops. Alas. I guess not (and I appreciate many of you don't have the problem! BE HAPPY! :D)

Studdering. It's back, at least for me who remains stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone.

Running 2.52.22 and using my PNY USB SSD as the music source.. Was not using Nav or AP at the time, so I can't really blame it on the CID being too busy. ;) Just listening to a FLAC and all of a sudden the tune was stuck playing a brief moment over-and-over-and-over... I let it do that for a few seconds to be sure MP wasn't going to reset itself, touched pause, then play, and MP was back to normal. Scrubbed back in the track to before the problem occurred, and it played through the 2nd time just fine and worked "normally" for the rest of my trip home.​

...and I thought this annoyance had maybe disappeared since I had not encountered it in the last couple of code drops. Alas. I guess not (and I appreciate many of you don't have the problem! BE HAPPY! :D)

3 days an counting with regards to equalizer not resetting. However, getting pretty sick of listening to the same 100 shuffled songs. It appears as though the car is trying to do better with no restarting the song to 0:00 with 2.52.22

I would say that reliably, getting back in within 15min, does not restart. Getting back in after greater than 2hrs, does not restart. Within that magic window, track place stays. Overnight, total crapshoot.

I would say that reliably, getting back in within 15min, does not restart. Getting back in after greater than 2hrs, does not restart. Within that magic window, track place stays. Overnight, total crapshoot.

Interestingly enough, when I was at the local Service Center having some stuff installed (no problems with the car, just added stuff) the Service Rep remarked to me that the car "goes to sleep" after 15 minutes. Not sure what he meant by that, but seems to jibe with your 15 minute observation.....

Interestingly enough, when I was at the local Service Center having some stuff installed (no problems with the car, just added stuff) the Service Rep remarked to me that the car "goes to sleep" after 15 minutes. Not sure what he meant by that, but seems to jibe with your 15 minute observation.....
Yeah, but what about the 2hrs mark? So odd. Unless preheating via the app somehow brings it out of sleep differently. I'm going to test this

I'm planning on waiting until 8.1 to see where things stand.
Let's manage our expectations. It's really going to be at least 8.1.1 because since none of the CID apps get any testing, whatever comes out with 8.1 is going to need lots of fixes. I think the biggest thing in 8.1 is migration to a new version of Linux. The chances of Tesla doing that AND adding new features AND fixing existing bugs is somewhere between 0 and none. Apple is very good at its testing (they have to be when literally hundreds of millions will install an update) and they still need a x.1 release after any major changes.

I'll never get where new age lives in that spectrum.
New Age is not located on a linear spectrum between Folk and Jazz (though that line seems like it should be more Jazz and Rock). In any case, New Age lives in a parallel universe where you are getting a massage while a gentle tropical breeze blows through the room. :)

but in less than 24 hours being in my MS, I have already had my first rescan with the SSD.
Yes, unfortunately I also experienced this during my road trip last week. Sometimes after an SC stop, sometimes after stopping for ten minutes and getting right back in the car (i.e., no charging); no clear pattern. But I do like the capacity and loading speed! Sorry @BertL... :oops:

I need the folder view to keep file sequence and not alpha sort it... can't play music that needs a proper sequence

If you use @BertL 's nifty dbPowerAmp settings, it prefaces each title with Disk-Track which puts things in the right sequence.

Reactions: BertL
Let's manage our expectations. It's really going to be at least 8.1.1 because since none of the CID apps get any testing, whatever comes out with 8.1 is going to need lots of fixes. I think the biggest thing in 8.1 is migration to a new version of Linux. The chances of Tesla doing that AND adding new features AND fixing existing bugs is somewhere between 0 and none. Apple is very good at its testing (they have to be when literally hundreds of millions will install an update) and they still need a x.1 release after any major changes.

Quibble: The software release you're describing won't be called 8.1.1. It'll still be 8.1, but a later build number. This numbering scheme is different than what you're used to with iOS, instead of a single version number you have a marketing number ("8.0") and a build number in parenthesis ("(17.3.2)"). (IMHO, this isn't better or worse, just different.) Similarly there's never been any Tesla software version 8.0.1, although I've seen people use that (incorrect) terminology.

In my professional opinion, it's unfair to say that "none of the CID apps get any testing". If that were true I'd say that Tesla actually has the best development team on the planet, or at least better than any team I've ever worked on or managed, because to get code to the state of quality I see in the car requires some sort of testing, probably more than you think. If you were to say "they should do more testing of the CID apps, preferably with a cross-section of real users and early enough in the release cycle that their feedback would actually get used", I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

It's premature to say what the effects are of the Linux kernel upgrade, and what of the 8.1 user-visible changes are enabled by that upgrade. If you're not actually involved in the development process (and I am not) you really can't do more than guess what the implications are. I've done software development very much like this (Linux-based embedded systems) and I've upgraded an entire Linux distribution underneath the applications and the users didn't know the difference.

I do agree with managing expectations, otherwise known as "don't get your hopes up too high".

New Age is not located on a linear spectrum between Folk and Jazz (though that line seems like it should be more Jazz and Rock). In any case, New Age lives in a parallel universe where you are getting a massage while a gentle tropical breeze blows through the room. :)

...and you're listening to this music for two hours without realizing it. :)

Cheers,

Bruce.

I do agree with managing expectations, otherwise known as "don't get your hopes up too high".
Yes, that was really my point. The CID app experience has not been good and I'm tired of having EM create expectations that are never met.

AP HW2 cars began shipping four months ago and the owners still don't have functionality equivalent to the HW1 cars that shipped the day before. Can you imagine any other technology company doing that? It's just horrendous project management that couldn't bring together h/w and s/w at the same point in time.

Yes, that was really my point. The CID app experience has not been good and I'm tired of having EM create expectations that are never met.

AP HW2 cars began shipping four months ago and the owners still don't have functionality equivalent to the HW1 cars that shipped the day before. Can you imagine any other technology company doing that? It's just horrendous project management that couldn't bring together h/w and s/w at the same point in time.

Full APv1 didn't happen for a year though, sooooo...... I guess it could be worse?

The difference is that APv1 buyers didn't regress in terms of functionality.
I'm really trying here, but you are right. When parity is finally reached, it will be six months at least. I'm not saying it was wrong to end the mobile eye partnership, but they had a huge foundation in the field. And it just seems like Tesla is trying to franticly catch up. Not to say their end result won't be better, but it does seem a bit unfair to make the customers pay in terms of delay AND cost.

Ok yes we all know Lord Elon is crazy and overly optimistic, but come on look at how much he has accomplished compared to you and everyone you know put together. You would still want a Model S over any other car on the market if it was still like it was in 2012, the same primitive piece of &@/t it was five years ago.

Last edited:
Update - re: missing album art

As I mentioned previously, I have a large music library on a USB flash drive that displays correct album art everywhere else I use it (Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod), but for some reason certain songs weren’t displaying their album art in my Model S. The files on USB were simply copies made from the iTunes folder on my Mac.

I took a closer look at some of the problem songs and discovered that those copies on the USB somehow had blank file icons when viewed in the Finder on my Mac (only the problem songs had blank icons). Meanwhile the original copies of the files in my Mac iTunes library showed the artwork both within iTunes itself and in their Finder icon. So somehow the act of copying the files (via Finder drag and drop copy) from the iTunes folder to another location must have stripped SOME of the files’s embedded artwork/icon. I made new copies of the same files and icons are still strangely missing on the new copies, so this is repeatable.

Best I can tell from digging in some of the Mac forums is that there was a bug in some previous version of iTunes relating to artwork. All the problem files were old ones added to my library years ago and not touched since then, so maybe an older version of iTunes improperly embedded the artwork and somehow those old files did not copy correctly via the Finder, even though the current version of iTunes and iOS displays them correctly? Just a theory, I couldn't find a definitive cause...

I was able to visually scan through my USB contents in the Finder and easily identify files with blank file icons. I did a Get Info on those songs in iTunes, then copied and re-pasted the existing artwork in the iTunes info pane for those songs. Then I re-copied the edited files from my iTunes folder to the USB. The icons now correctly showed the artwork on the copies, and that seemed to fix almost all of the problem songs to correctly display artwork in the Tesla.

Using a tag editor I poked around the remaining handful of songs still not displaying in the Tesla MP and I discovered all of those remaining problem files had both ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.2 tags but were somehow missing album art associated with the v2.2 tag when viewed using the tag editor, even though the album art somehow was displayed in iTunes & iOS. Pasting the artwork again into the v2.2 tag using the tag editor fixed the problem and I believe now all my music files display their correct artwork in my car.

not sure if this info will help anybody having problems with album art, but anyhow there it is - I basically found 2 kinds of problem files.

next step - take a closer look at file names & weird song order on some albums (IIRC filenames can solve that) and also how compilation albums are (incorrectly) displayed
… and will keep my fingers crossed that someday they'll fix it so USB search will play more than one song, and you can shuffle all songs across all albums for a given artist...

btw, I notice with 2.52.22 that USB scans seem much faster and more consistent - about 9minutes for my USB (about 58GB on a 64GB stick, ~7400 songs). I have not witnessed any spurious rescans for over a month (since the previous firmware version 2.50.114), nor have I seen my EQ settings get randomly reset since

p.s.
hey! I've got Miles (as well as Narada, & Windham Hill) in my library... :)

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow