Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday another USB player issue cropped up.
Everything was fine Saturday when I put the car in the garage. When I began driving Sunday, I noticed that there's no progress bar on the IC for the song being played, and it also doesn't show the artist or album title anymore. It also no longer shows the song title - it shows the file name instead. For example, it used to show "Thriller," and now it shows "8 Thriller.flac."
On the player screen in the main console, the progress bar shows up for a split second, then goes blank. But the times are all screwed up when it does appear, showing things like starting at 1:30 and ending at -2:20. WTH?
Also, I see 0 albums, 0 artists, 0 genre, over 3000 songs (about right, and 295 folders (also about right). I removed the stick, then reinserted it. Player went through the entire load process, with no change to the display. I rebooted the main console twice, with no change. I rebooted the IC AND the main console after parking the car - no change again. I took the stick into the house and deleted a few albums - after reloading, still no change.
I've reformatted the stick and loaded just a few albums, but haven't had a chance to try it out again.

Anyone else seen this? If so, were you able to fix it? Any idea of the cause?

By the way - no software updates since the +5 was added back to autosteer.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear you've joined me in some part of the Tesla Twilight Zone. Similar situation reported back on Jan 9 in this thread here. After trying reboots myself, the problem mysteriously disappeared overnight as reported here. ...and no, there is no apparent cause other than Tesla not providing a quality USB Media Player. Hang tight and hopefully all will be better for you tomorrow. ;)

Well, I reformatted the USB stick and reloaded all the music - exactly the same as it was before. Tried it last night - still no change. 0 artists, 0 genres, file name shown on music displays, no progress bar, etc.
Got in the car this morning - everything back to normal. Go figure.

Forgive me folks, I've been out of the country for a few months so I've not been actively following the USB issues under 8.0. Now I'm back and have begun to "experience" the new 8.0 media player. Ugh. My big question of the evening is if there is any way to randomly play all songs by an artist across all of the albums on the USB by that artist. So far, I've only been able to figure out how to play a single album by an artist, but I cannot figure out how to play all the songs on all the albums by a particular artist. Help please.

... Ugh. My big question of the evening is if there is any way to randomly play all songs by an artist across all of the albums on the USB by that artist....
"Ugh" is right. No you can't shuffle all songs across ALL albums of an artist with the current media player. For me this is one of the main things I always want to do with my USB collection so it's one of my biggest annoyances with the 8.0 MP. That, and also the fact that when you search an artist and select the result on USB, it will only play the first song on the first album and none other.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Since the upgrade to 2.5.22, the player's started leaving most of my music out of the index.

That is to say, even if I forcibly trigger a "reload" of the music on my 256GB USB stick by unplugging it, full-rebooting the car, or even unplugging it and changing the volume name, after the "loading" i get the same, weird result: only about 40 of the several hundred albums show up in the "Albums" view, and only about 10 of the several dozen artists.

However, all 5600 songs are there, should I want to browse alphabetically through them all...argh. And I can browse the folder structure fine. I've checked the FAT filesystem and even poked around a bit with diagnostic tools on Windows, OS X, and Linux -- all fine. And there's no problem playing any song -- once I find it! -- though of course I just see the song title, not the metadata. Examination of the files shows all the tags are indeed still as they should be (unchanged).

I've reached out to ServiceHelpNA and offered to send them the USB stick for debugging purposes. Hope they take me up on it or let me know the bug is already found & fixed in a pending update.

Since the upgrade to 2.5.22, the player's started leaving most of my music out of the index.

That is to say, even if I forcibly trigger a "reload" of the music on my 256GB USB stick by unplugging it, full-rebooting the car, or even unplugging it and changing the volume name, after the "loading" i get the same, weird result: only about 40 of the several hundred albums show up in the "Albums" view, and only about 10 of the several dozen artists.

However, all 5600 songs are there, should I want to browse alphabetically through them all...argh. And I can browse the folder structure fine. I've checked the FAT filesystem and even poked around a bit with diagnostic tools on Windows, OS X, and Linux -- all fine. And there's no problem playing any song -- once I find it! -- though of course I just see the song title, not the metadata. Examination of the files shows all the tags are indeed still as they should be (unchanged).

I've reached out to ServiceHelpNA and offered to send them the USB stick for debugging purposes. Hope they take me up on it or let me know the bug is already found & fixed in a pending update.
From that description, it sure sounds like your files are not tagged with the tags that Tesla expects. For example, I think ARTIST is used, but ALBUMARTIST is ignored. What are the tag values for a track that doesn't show up in Albums view? Is this MP3, FLAC, or something else?

From that description, it sure sounds like your files are not tagged with the tags that Tesla expects. For example, I think ARTIST is used, but ALBUMARTIST is ignored. What are the tag values for a track that doesn't show up in Albums view? Is this MP3, FLAC, or something else?

No, no, no. Let me be more clear.

Prior to the most recent update, the car indexed all these songs fine.

No, no, no. :) The fact that you're only seeing the problem in the current software version is certainly relevant, but consider that the update may have changed the tag formats/versions that it can read, and could be exposing a problem with how you've tagged the files.

For what it's worth, I am also on 2.52.22, and do not have any missing albums in Albums view. (I had some duplicated albums for compilation albums with more than one artist, but I resolved that by changing the artist tag to "Various Artists" for those albums.) All of my tracks are either FLAC or MP3, and the latter use ID3 v2.2 tags exclusively.

Your problem suggests a possible tagging issue, rather than a filesystem problem, because you've said that all the files are visible in folder view and can be played, yet do not display tag information.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike

I assume you've made no changes to your tracks and file structure between firmware releases, and as is being suggested, your tracks were originally tagged properly. What you're describing could be a variant to what a couple of us have seen as temporary failures in the entire MP USB Interface, and as you'll see from my upthread posts, what I've jokingly called "being in the Tesla Twilight Zone". To help some of us understand if you're seeing something new or a variant of some known oddity, could you please confirm a few things:
  1. Using a tag editor on your PC/Mac, take a look at a few sample tracks on your USB stick. Please confirm you are consistently using the following tags in your tracks: ALBUM, GENRE, TRACKARTIST, TRACKNUMBER, TRACKTITLE, & "Front Cover" Album Art. From there we'll assume your sampling is representative of most everything on your USB device.
  2. What is your physical directory file structure and naming of the tracks on your USB device? e.g. are your tracks in the root directory or perhaps in in subdirectories by folder and how deep is all that? Are your tracks consistently named like "TRACKNUMBER TRACKTITLE", in some mixed-up manner, or what?
  3. What is the encoding format of your audio tracks? MP3, FLAC, AAC Lossy, or ?
  4. When you have this problem but are able to play a track, how are you accessing the track (via Artist, Songs, Folder, etc) and can you describe a little more what your MP USB interface looks like? Is it normal, or what is different (e.g. no tag data being displayed with just the physical filename and extension of the track being displayed?)
FWIW, I too am on 2.52.22, and don't have solid problems as you are describing using effectively my same 7K FLAC tracks, tagging and very consistent directory/filename structure I've been using for months. I do continue to have unexplainable rescans which take several minutes to complete, the occasional studder, and have sadly been part of some very odd "Tesla Twilight Zone" episodes as discussed in the past 2-3 pages upthread -- but those each mysteriously self-corrected literally overnight. Let's try to rule out some of the basics with your tracks, metadata and file structure that could be part of the issue (they have for me and others in the past), and then see if any of us can help you from there.

More Mysteries in the Tesla Twilight Zone

I'm still on 2.52.22, use USB music on random 99.99% of the time (it almost never goes off by my hand), and I have had only what I'd call "the normal anomalies" :rolleyes: we've discussed many times related to MP since my last report-in, until this morning.

I jumped into my MS. All was well. USB music began playing the same track I had been listening to and the interface looked fine. I back out, Homelink does it's thing to close my garage door, and I head down the street. A few homes away, the CID goes black all by itself. Music and HVAC goes off. The CID began an automatic reboot while the IC and everything else remained operational as I was on my way.

When the CID came back to life, USB was rescanning my USB-SSD. I touched FM to listen to something for the 10 mins or so rescan will take. Once USB rescan completed, I touched USB / Songs, and randomly selected one to get something playing again. The track began playing and all seemed well.​

I parked and left my MS for a little over an hour. I jumped back in and USB music began playing the same track from the beginning as I expected it should. Everything in the USB interface was there (including album art), EXCEPT oddly where the pause/play-arrow normally should be, there is a new grey spinning circle... Da-da Da-da (Insert Twilight Zone theme here)

I touch Forward to jump to the next song. MP began playing the next track and the pause button is back, but now album art wasn't displaying (and as you may remember, I have guaranteed 100% of my tracks with purposely-built 300x300 .jpg images). I touch Forward several times to get to different tracks. All begin playing, but no album art displays for any of them.​

So, I touch FM. Then I almost immediately touch USB to go back, and Voila! Album Art is displayed for the same track that was playing before. The MP interface seems normal, and all is well for the rest of the way home as the next tracks are played.
I'm still trapped in the Tesla Twilight Zone. PLEASE, 8.1, BRING ME HOPE FOR AN ESCAPE!

So, I touch FM. Then I almost immediately touch USB to go back, and Voila! Album Art is displayed for the same track that was playing before. The MP interface seems normal, and all is well for the rest of the way home as the next tracks are played.

Question - Did your MP remember where you left off on the USB when you switched to FM and back, or did you have to manually track down the song you were listening to? For me at least, once I go to a different music source and then back to USB, the interface drops me at the main USB screen with no apparent memory of what I was playing previously.

Question - Did your MP remember where you left off on the USB when you switched to FM and back, or did you have to manually track down the song you were listening to? For me at least, once I go to a different music source and then back to USB, the interface drops me at the main USB screen with no apparent memory of what I was playing previously.
With as many intricacies as there were, I can't second guess myself with 100% certainty now a couple days later, but I don't remember having to reselect a song at that point in the process as I documented it. I wrote the post as I walked in from my garage not 10 minutes after this part of the episode occurred, so I could capture as much detail as possible.

As we know, in more recent firmware drops, Tesla MP at least no longer does it's phantom playing thing as it did for months/years and now generally remembers the track it was on in normal conditions, but almost never remembers the position you were in a particular track unless you use pause and don't turn off, reboot the CID, and perhaps other even more obscure scenarios with your MS. ;)

Got my X 2 weeks back & enjoying the high fidelity sound system with dolby surround. When using the usb, it's very disappointing that the songs from each album are split in separate folders. So if I want to go thru an album, i will need to open each song's individual folder. Each folder only has one song. It is really troublesome & I fail to understand why Tesla would change the settings in the new firmware when this was perfect before. I can see many of you have similar issues. Has anyone found a solution to this? Hope Tesla can fix this in their next firmware upgrade.

Got my X 2 weeks back & enjoying the high fidelity sound system with dolby surround. When using the usb, it's very disappointing that the songs from each album are split in separate folders. So if I want to go thru an album, i will need to open each song's individual folder. Each folder only has one song. It is really troublesome & I fail to understand why Tesla would change the settings in the new firmware when this was perfect before. I can see many of you have similar issues. Has anyone found a solution to this? Hope Tesla can fix this in their next firmware upgrade.
Congrats on your new X.

I assume you are trying to play your tracks using the ALBUM interface, not folder view (it makes a difference in my response). If so, take a look at an album you own that has exactly the same tagging in all of it's tracks for TRACKARTIST (i.e. not a compilation album of some sort where TRACKARTIST may vary track-to-track, or an album where there is perhaps a guest artist doing a duet with the primary album artist). I suspect you'll see that an album with exactly the same TRACKARTIST in each of it's tracks will display correctly as a single album, but when TRACKARTIST varies, you get what appear to be multiple albums in some of the interface.

This problem has existed for a quite a while across multiple releases, so check upthread for more detail as this has been discussed a lot. The quick answer as to a couple options you can try is either:
  1. Put each of the tracks for a single album in it's own folder on your USB device. Then use only FOLDER VIEW to access your tracks, and just don't use the other standard interface methods to access your music.
  2. If you really want to use the ALBUM interface in Media Player, you will need to change the TRACKARTIST tags to be the same in each track of the same album. That is what I do via automation with dBpoweramp when building modified copies of my tracks for my Tesla USB device: I put ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of each album as my workaround.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new X.

I assume you are trying to play your tracks using the ALBUM interface, not folder view (it makes a difference in my response). If so, take a look at an album you own that has exactly the same tagging in all of it's tracks for TRACKARTIST (i.e. not a compilation album of some sort where TRACKARTIST may vary track-to-track, or an album where there is perhaps a guest artist doing a duet with the primary album artist). I suspect you'll see that an album with exactly the same TRACKARTIST in each of it's tracks will display correctly as a single album, but when TRACKARTIST varies, you get what appear to be multiple albums in some of the interface.

This problem has existed for a quite a while across multiple releases, so check upthread for more detail as this has been discussed a lot. The quick answer as to a couple options you can try is either:
  1. Put each of the tracks for a single album in it's own folder on your USB device. Then use only FOLDER VIEW to access your tracks, and just don't use the other standard interface methods to access your music.
  2. If you really want to use the ALBUM interface in Media Player, you will need to change the TRACKARTIST tags to be the same in each track of the same album. That is what I do via automation with dBpoweramp when building modified copies of my tracks for my Tesla USB device: I put ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of each album as my workaround.
Good luck!
That's the same thing I do, but I'm only loading ten or so albums at a time on my USB. I'm not going to worry about my whole collection. It's all on my phone and I think Bluetooth sounds good enough. If you use folder view it lists the songs alphabetically instead of proper track order. When I first got my car in December this problem didn't exist until I got my first update, so maybe they will fix it soon.

The Tesla Twilight Zone -- Another Episode

What is it about long running series where some of the story lines start becoming too familiar? That was the case with my MS an hour ago and my continuing CID/USB Music saga.

My MS had charged to 90% via HPWC night before last and I had not driven it since. I opened the door, removed the charge cable, got in and went to open my garage door via Homelink. My CID was unresponsive (again) with the little blinky area showing in the extreme upper left corner every time I touched the screen, but no response to my touches...

I didn't touch my USB-SSD. Rebooted the CID (without the brake being down). Waited for it to complete; opened the garage, backed-out and was on my way. USB rescan was underway as expected, but interestingly, the graphics behind my FM favorites had disappeared -- the Slacker graphics were still there. Upon completion of the rescan, I got the infamous "loading error" on the track that had been playing last time I was driving my MS, but this time it had a greyed-out album art cover with a dark static (non-moving) circular arrow over it. See attached photo.

I drove to my destination, parked, and when I got back in, same situation with USB music, so I rapidly touched FM (which played), selected another USB track, and all was well with the world except for missing FM favorite graphics on the way back home.​

I'm off starting tomorrow for a few days road trip, so we'll see if I get up enough courage to try AP again after all it's roadside object and truck lust challenges I encountered too many times on the same trip last Fall (reported in the 8.0 thread). ...oh, and maybe I'll get to catch up on another few episodes of the Tesla Twilight Zone while we all wait for 8.1 to finally appear. ;) Be safe out there, and happy USB Music listening!

IMG_0814.jpg