Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, though. Isn't "Write a function to randomly select entries from a database" a Year 1 Computer Science problem? I'm pretty sure *I* successfully answered it back in the day and I flunked out of college!
Yes, creating a random number generator was my first college FORTRAN programming lab exercise, back oh -- nearly 45 years ago. ;)

The saddest thing to me is news I recently read suggesting Tesla had "doubled" the number of engineers focused on AP, but IMHO Tesla still can't see their way to focus on Customer Sat & Service by dedicating a small handful of good people on correcting long-standing acknowledged firmware bugs, and bringing Infotainment as a whole up to at least the basics other mfgrs have offered in their sub $30K vehicles for years.

Reactions: kevinf311
Good to know. I just installed it as well and have been monitoring the randomness of my USB playback. I have somehow managed to avoid the copious rescan issue (knock on matte Obeche wood) so at least I can quickly access the same 7 "random" songs; hopefully my random is more random now but I'm not holding my breath.

Alright; I've been driving around only using USB for a few days now and I *think* that my playback is an acceptable level of random. At the very least, it is not dissimilar to the randomness of the 6dot and 7dot firmware (which also didn't seem super random). With the exception of 1 or 2 songs, I haven't had any repeats yet in a few dozen tracks. More importantly, each time I get in the car, the songs played back are not the "Random's Greatest Hits" that I was subjected to for the entirety of the 8dot release.

I'm going to keep monitoring it. If this randomness remains stable then I'll probably finally pull the trigger on re-ripping my music collection (Summer Fun Activity!) with the advice given way up-thread to get my Album art back. Truly, it's something that I have been meaning to do since my music spans many years of digitizing at as many levels of quality and sophistication...

I'm on the latest firmware as of this posting (17.24.28), car details in the signature block. I have not done the @BertL recommended Full Reboot™ since the update.

Alright; I've been driving around only using USB for a few days now and I *think* that my playback is an acceptable level of random. At the very least, it is not dissimilar to the randomness of the 6dot and 7dot firmware (which also didn't seem super random). With the exception of 1 or 2 songs, I haven't had any repeats yet in a few dozen tracks. More importantly, each time I get in the car, the songs played back are not the "Random's Greatest Hits" that I was subjected to for the entirety of the 8dot release.

I'm going to keep monitoring it. If this randomness remains stable then I'll probably finally pull the trigger on re-ripping my music collection (Summer Fun Activity!) with the advice given way up-thread to get my Album art back. Truly, it's something that I have been meaning to do since my music spans many years of digitizing at as many levels of quality and sophistication...

I'm on the latest firmware as of this posting (17.24.28), car details in the signature block. I have not done the @BertL recommended Full Reboot™ since the update.
I just updated, I will comment on this in the next 24-48hrs with my observations....

Interesting. That's great news for you. Terrific!

I unfortunately still have the "Random Greatest Hits" problem (probably because I've been stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone for so long ;)) same as before. I personally have not updated my USB music in a few months now... waiting for some semblance of real changes to MP before I go through that process, even though I know it would change my "Random Greast Hits playlist"!

Looking forward to everyone's additional observations.

Can someone running 17.24.xx comment on support for compilation albums and whether that's once again working correctly? (Just curious, I guess, it's not like the answer is going to have a huge impact on my life one way or the other.)

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Can someone running 17.24.xx comment on support for compilation albums and whether that's once again working correctly? (Just curious, I guess, it's not like the answer is going to have a huge impact on my life one way or the other.)

Thanks,

Bruce.
Not being flippant, but I have always believed there is a fundamental problem expecting Tesla to fix this. I know it gets lots of people wound-up, and I'm really not trying to do that, but here goes: What is your definition of a "compilation"?

IMHO there isn't a true single agreed-to standard and way to accomplish compilations across all (non-Tesla) players to begin with. E.g. Is it only where a track is tagged with PARTOFACOMPILATION=1, TCMP=1, TCP=1, COMPILATION=1, or perhaps all tracks on a single ALBUM only when ALBUMARTIST is not equal to (track) ARTIST, some combination, or something else? To substantiate the confusion in the world on this:
  • TCMP came in with old MP3 and IIRC is/was also used by some MP4, M4A in some players. It's referenced in ID3V2 as something iTunes used/uses (to be more confused, see below), but then goes on to say TCP is the tag actually coded, not TCMP ;). I find nothing in ID3 regarding a real ID3 standard for compilation tagging.
  • COMPILATION is used by some OGG and FLAC
  • PARTOFACOMPILATION is used by current iTunes, and some other tools. It's how I maintain my personal source library for whatever that is worth (not much!)
  • ...and I believe some players (like iTunes) may historically have or do support multiples of these, so it's a bit of a guess what an individual's library may contain and which tags by newer players should have precedence over another
  • ...and because of all that variance, I have always suggested in these threads (and to Tesla) that MP would just be better off to ignore the compilation tags all-together and consider tracks on a single unique ALBUM to be part of a compilation only when ALBUMARTIST is not equal to (track) ARTIST ...but that's just me, and I know I'm one lone voice in the equation.
So now, which variation of compilation do you want folks to check? ;) I frankly stopped trying to expect Tesla to resolve this one in a way that could please 100%, or even a substantial part, of owners months ago.

Last edited:
Not being flippant, but I have always believed there is a fundamental problem expecting Tesla to fix this. I know it gets lots of people wound-up, and I'm really not trying to do that, but here goes: What is your definition of a "compilation"?

IMHO there isn't a true single agreed-to standard and way to accomplish compilations across all (non-Tesla) players to begin with. E.g. Is it only where a track is tagged with PARTOFACOMPILATION=1, TCMP=1, TCP=1, COMPILATION=1, or perhaps all tracks on a single ALBUM only when ALBUMARTIST is not equal to (track) ARTIST, some combination, or something else? To substantiate the confusion in the world on this:
  • TCMP came in with old MP3 and IIRC is/was also used by some MP4, M4A in some players. It's referenced in ID3V2 as something iTunes used/uses (to be more confused, see below), but then goes on to say TCP is the tag actually coded, not TCMP ;). I find nothing in ID3 regarding a real ID3 standard for compilation tagging.
  • COMPILATION is used by some OGG and FLAC
  • PARTOFACOMPILATION is used by current iTunes, and some other tools. It's how I maintain my personal source library for whatever that is worth (not much!)
  • ...and I believe some players (like iTunes) may historically have or do support multiples of these, so it's a bit of a guess what an individual's library may contain and which tags by newer players should have precedence over another
  • ...and because of all that variance, I have always suggested in these threads (and to Tesla) that MP would just be better off to ignore the compilation tags all-together and consider tracks on a single unique ALBUM to be part of a compilation only when ALBUMARTIST is not equal to (track) ARTIST ...but that's just me, and I know I'm one lone voice in the equation.
So now, which variation of compilation do you want folks to check? ;) I frankly stopped trying to expect Tesla to resolve this one in a way that could please 100%, or even a substantial part, of owners months ago.

Except Tesla, every other music player I have used so far simply uses <Album, Album Artist> tag pair to form albums.
Tesla is the only one that uses the <Album, Artist> tag pair. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
Maybe there really is a pony with 17.24.28...

Interesting. That's great news for you. Terrific!

I unfortunately still have the "Random Greatest Hits" problem (probably because I've been stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone for so long ;)) same as before. I personally have not updated my USB music in a few months now... waiting for some semblance of real changes to MP before I go through that process, even though I know it would change my "Random Greast Hits playlist"!

I have been listening to same select groups of "repeatable random" songs on my same USB SSD for months now, as I've purposely not changed its contents. So be that, even after multiple reboots and the latest 17.24.28 firmware update. It's why I replied to @kevinf311's post the way I did above a few days ago.

Today though, things are different:

Had one of my formerly reported Tesla Twilight Zone episodes reoccur this morning after my MS had been sitting for nearly 48 hours: CID was responsive, but USB music was all greyed-out and unresponsive to touch. I looked at the IC and there was a supposed in-progress call to my own cell phone number displayed. The iPhone was in my pocket and seemed to be paired with my MS from the bars I could see on the CID. There was no call active on my iPhone itself. I was unable to end the call via IC or CID just as the last time I reported it upthread, so I turned-off my iPhone, then back-on. The call ended on my MS, but USB MP remained unresponsive. I proceeded to do a full reboot of the MS, which upon completion, rescan of my USB SSD started and I was on my way waiting to listen to my tunes once again.

When rescan completed, as I always do, I randomly selected a song and let MP continue playing on random/shuffle -- I at least get one new song played that way. Strangely, the 2nd song was not one I've been listening to on the regular "repeatable random playlist". It was odd, but a welcome change similar to what @kevinf311 reported. MP continued playing songs I've not heard in my MS for a long time on the rest of the way to my destination, and when I got back in to return home, same thing... all "new" random songs. That makes at least 10 or more "new" random songs in a row. (Yes, MP still restarts the FLAC from the beginning when you reenter the car.)

IDK what has caused MP to start playing a wider selection of random tunes, but I'll take it while it lasts. It's just all very odd, as I had fully rebooted my MS after the last firmware release at least twice which one would think would cause all the latest and greatest firmware to become active -- at least it used to in the past. The only difference today was the Bluetooth issue that happened before I rebooted. We'll see what tomorrow brings, and others experience. ;)

Reactions: kevinf311
Ok, so get ready for some @BertL digestion.

Choosing a song gives a unique playthrough set. Choosing another song gives another unique playthrough, without getting back into the rut of your first playthrough set.

However, going back and choosing that first song, gives you the same playthrough set you had before, regardless of how many other songs you've selected since then. Have not tested turning shuffle on and off to see if playthrough set is different that time around.

The media player is cheating as well. Leaving the car overnight with a selected song, the car remembers that song, but does not remember what playset that song was a part of. So if you try to hit the back button in the morning, you are already at the first song in the playset. Also in the morning, selecting the USB volume name does not take you back to your track list. But if I select a song and go about my day, then click the volume name, it does take me back to the track list. The media player selectively forgets what it was doing before (lazy programming maybe?), but does at least recall what track was playing the previous day. If you have a charge cycle happen overnight, your place in the track is reset for sure. Sorry audiobooks.

For sure I am hearing a different playset based on my set of 97 songs currently in my test USB volume. I have a goto track I start my day with some I'm fairly familiar with the 10 or so songs that should come up in that playset; they are different today.

Input source still changes to sat radio or phone at random when re-entering the car. In fact, it happened this morning after the latest 24 update. I would like to test track resets on this version as they pertain to which doors are open. I am still a very firm believer that track resets during the day are related to which doors are opened AND time returning to car. Frunk and trunk access DO NOT seem to have bearing on track resets.

Fun fact I did not know, if I drag the media player down on half-screen view, I get the track listing view. I did not know this before, I find it useful, I also think this is just another example of why Tesla needs to document better. It's a good feature, I want to give them credit where credit is due.

Update to my update. I picked song 1 this morning and noted the order of play. This was 9am. For several times, the order stayed the same when that song was played first. Please note that this playback was seemingly unique (I say seemingly because I hadn't exactly memorized any new playset on this update save for the order mentioned in the previous post) Interestingly, as soon as 10am rolled around, new play order!

Now, moving forward in that playlist manually, I noted a song 5-6 ahead. Now if you choose that song and hit next, you jump right back into that playset and get the same play set for that particular randomization that you were on before.

Looking forward to testing at different times of the day in case that seed is based on clock hour. Which would be too easy, right?

It's hard to tell after only a couple of days on 17.24.28, but I've already noticed shuffle repeats. When I come back to the car and resume playing, it seems to go back and play several of the same songs I've already heard, in the same order, before the "next" button will hit a new song. But if I manually go to USB > Songs and start playing a new song, the songs following it seem to be different. Will need more time to see if there is a pattern to that.

Complicating things is the fact that when I return to the car, it usually has Bluetooth selected instead of USB. That's not actually new behavior, and the currently paused USB track is normally displayed in a strip along the bottom with play controls so it wasn't really an issue. But a couple of times since the update, there wasn't any current track displayed at the bottom, which means I was forced to manually pick a starting song again. Will try picking the same song each time and see what subsequent songs the "next" button selects.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Update to my update. I picked song 1 this morning and noted the order of play. This was 9am. For several times, the order stayed the same when that song was played first. Please note that this playback was seemingly unique (I say seemingly because I hadn't exactly memorized any new playset on this update save for the order mentioned in the previous post) Interestingly, as soon as 10am rolled around, new play order!

Now, moving forward in that playlist manually, I noted a song 5-6 ahead. Now if you choose that song and hit next, you jump right back into that playset and get the same play set for that particular randomization that you were on before.

Looking forward to testing at different times of the day in case that seed is based on clock hour. Which would be too easy, right?

I am now on 17.24.28 for the past week, but I've seen basically the same behaviour with USB shuffle that you mention for previous several software versions prior, except that now under 17.24.28 the 'sticky' sequence of songs somehow gets broken and re-randomized, I don't know what triggers it but maybe it's time, as you suggest. i.e. for a while now, USB shuffle hasn't been very random, but now it's slightly more so. I've not tested it extensively but this is my quick observation.

to clarify, before and after 17.24.28, I would select a song (let's call it Song A), then USB shuffle would play a "random" sequence of songs: B, C, D, E, F, G... At any point in the sequence I could pick one of the previously played random songs, but the exact sequence following it would repeat. e.g. pick E, then F,G... would play. Go back and pick B then C,D,E,F... would play etc. I could even pick a song not contained in the original random sequence, then go back to one of the original songs in the sequence and it would pick up the original "random" sequence.

same still seems to happen under 17.24.28 but something more easily seems to re-randomized things and cause a new sequence to play. Parking and getting out of the car for a while seems to cause a new sequence if you manually pick song A again. and sometimes after playing with selecting songs for a while it seems to break the stuck sequence, which didn't seem to happen before (e.g. maybe time, or other variable breaks the sequence?)

I received a patch over last weekend, I'm guessing 17.24.28. Since that patch I've routinely received "loading errors" after skipping 5 to 6 songs (sometimes less). Going back to the top menu and reselecting a song fixes the issue. Sometimes I'm able to skip forward or backward and get a song to play, but is not consistent.

Is anyone else have new "Loading Errors" with their USB music?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden