Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a patch over last weekend, I'm guessing 17.24.28. Since that patch I've routinely received "loading errors" after skipping 5 to 6 songs (sometimes less). Going back to the top menu and reselecting a song fixes the issue. Sometimes I'm able to skip forward or backward and get a song to play, but is not consistent.

Is anyone else have new "Loading Errors" with their USB music?

yes I'm seeing a lot of loading errors with USB too, after updating to 17.24.28. Same symptoms you mention. I don't recall seeing those before

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Not getting loading error message per se (17.16.35) but have experienced some days whereby USB reboots multiple times each day, sometimes just 30 minutes after each other. I've increased song list on USB stick so maybe it's causing system problems?
How many tracks?

At least prior to this latest code drop, I know for a fact that somewhere around 7K tracks in my MS with everything else I have going on will start to create more problems. That number varies for different people.

FWIW, I still believe, no matter what Tesla does, things we do that increase memory usage* MAY ultimatey cause wierd problems unless we ultimately find Tesla has finally implemented hard limits when certain customer-variables are being exceeded.
* See prior posts of mine, but net is, the size of the physical device does not matter, nor does the length of each track unless you go nuts with something like a full-audiobook or uncompressed album as one physical file, but at a bare minimum, the number of tracks, and the number of unique and length of those fields for every track on the device and used within the interface like ALBUM, GENRE, (track) ARTIST, Album Art, etc., as well as the directory naming and depth one elects to use on the USB device itself. All we do in terms of USB directory structure, file naming, and track tagging -- as well as our sync'd phone directory, recent calls, calendar, etc. and Nav history (which never had limits either) have to fit within the fixed 2GB memory our non-AP2 MS have, as well as whatever programming buffers and the like Tesla requires to make it all work. Too many tracks, and at some point we each contribute to our own problems because of Tesla's lack of hard limits in both their programming and owner documentation.​

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
How many tracks?

At least prior to this latest code drop, I know for a fact that somewhere around 7K tracks in my MS with everything else I have going on will start to create more problems. That number varies for different people.

FWIW, I still believe, no matter what Tesla does, things we do that increase memory usage* MAY ultimatey cause wierd problems unless we ultimately find Tesla has finally implemented hard limits when certain customer-variables are being exceeded.
* See prior posts of mine, but net is, the size of the physical device does not matter, nor does the length of each track unless you go nuts with something like a full-audiobook or uncompressed album as one physical file, but at a bare minimum, the number of tracks, and the number of unique and length of those fields for every track on the device and used within the interface like ALBUM, GENRE, (track) ARTIST, Album Art, etc., as well as the directory naming and depth one elects to use on the USB device itself. All we do in terms of USB directory structure, file naming, and track tagging -- as well as our sync'd phone directory, recent calls, calendar, etc. and Nav history (which never had limits either) have to fit within the fixed 2GB memory our non-AP2 MS have, as well as whatever programming buffers and the like Tesla requires to make it all work. Too many tracks, and at some point we each contribute to our own problems because of Tesla's lack of hard limits in both their programming and owner documentation.​
I would pay for an upgraded center console. Tesla, are you listening? I will pay you for an upgraded console that handled tasks buttery smootg.

Just had to say with 17.24.28 I'm liking the somewhat-improved random "random play". It's nice hearing some different USB tunes in my MS once again.

OTOH, and perhaps only coincidence, but the dreaded and unexpected USB rescans seem to have increased in frequency since updating. Where they had subsided for me to a more tolerable level, it's happened several times to a noticible level in the past few days. E.g. I opened only my driver door to run an errand just now, and rescan had just begun; Drove to my destination, and a song started playing just as I entered the parking lot. I parked. Rescan began again upon entry, and MP started playing just as put my MS into park in my garage. Nothing has changed with my USB decice, phone contacts, etc. etc. before/after the latest firmware release was applied. At least I have some additional quiet time to collect my thoughts, and MP remembers what song was playing before the rescan initiates, so it can resume from the beginning again when it's ready. ;)

Reactions: msnow
IIRC it was $4k to replace the original one so probably a lot more for the next gen version...just speculating. Not worth it to me, I'm good.
Yeah, a few months back in other threads, the guys trying to replace some out-of-warranty CID with lamination and drippy gunk issues tried Tesla parts pricing and even tracked-down the OEM supplier on the other side of the planet... Thousands of dollars to just replace the original version. (I also don't believe there is any incentive in Tesla's business model to upgrade anything. It's all about new car sales -- not service or anything else.)

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Yeah, a few months back in other threads, the guys trying to replace some out-of-warranty CID with lamination and drippy gunk issues tried Tesla parts pricing and even tracked-down the OEM supplier on the other side of the planet... Thousands of dollars to just replace the original version. (I also don't believe there is any incentive in Tesla's business model to upgrade anything. It's all about new car sales -- not service or anything else.)
A boy can dream, can't he?

Reactions: BertL
Well, I have to echo the last page or so of posts.

What once was random, now is not. I was optimistic that the USB playback behavior had returned to pre-version 8 randomness, but it really hasn't.

Everything that y'all just posted is what I'm seeing with my playback as well. There are predictable "random" playlists of songs still, it's just less predictable on how they present themselves. I am also seeing a lot of USB playback errors (or rather, more than I used to in some unqualified quantity). I went back to streaming today and as I was parking at work, I received an endless string of failed streaming songs; did a full system reboot (the @BertL special, brake depressed) and switched back over to USB as it was taking a longer than normal amount of time to reacquire 3G.

I've also had an increase in source swapping when returning to the car. I got into the car yesterday and it was playing an Icelandic talk radio station (that actually is less off-the-wall than it sounds, it is in my favorites) instead of USB. I chose the Slacker station mentioned above after that (also in my favorites) because I was already in motion when I realized it and that was fewer screen clicks.

I'm on 17.24.28 since last week. earlier I mentioned I'm seeing frequent Loading Errors on USB songs, especially when I fast forward songs several times in a row. (I was trying to understand the slightly-more-but-still-not-very-random shuffle...)

Yesterday I saw something different... fast forwarded a song on USB and the media player instead changed sources to the AM radio. I think others have reported similar but I'd not see it in my car before... which reminds me, we haven't been able to change audio source from the steering wheel since they purposely took that away in 8.x ! (*shakes fist*)

@supratachophobia or anyone else: Have you noticed any pattern that just before MP decides to start an unexpected USB rescan, the CID goes blank for perhaps 2-3 seconds then comes back to life -- fully operational, except for USB music while rescan is underway? (There is no Tesla T like we're used to seeing with a reboot, just what appears as a temporary black-out of the CID.)

My more recent increase in rescans unfortunately has me more focused on MP bugs again. This morning all was normal with my last USB tune from yesterday restarting play again as I opened the rear and front doors on my MS. I first opened my rear door to let my dog up onto the back seat, closed it, then got into the front. The song restarted from the beginning both times as I think it normally has. What was different was after I parked at my destination, then returned: I opened the rear door to put my grocery bag on the floor, and music started playing so I didn't think anything of it. Then, I closed that rear door and got into the front seat. Odd -- no music and the CID went blank for 2-3 secs, while the IC was still operation, then I noticed USB rescan had restarted. Very strange. I may be loosing it, but this temporary "black out" seems like a new symptom related to at least some, if not all rescans. I'll keep my eye on it. Would appreciate if others would do the same if you encounter any rescan anomalies. Thx.

(While I've stopped trying to test every release to ID what's changed with MP, I can't help myself still trying to see where there may be patterns to unexpected failures, be that with non-driver doors opening or something else. I'd be more than happy to report yet another MP bug when I take my MS in for annual service in early October, assuming of course "my part" has not come in by then -- it's only been 12 weeks for something that was estimated to take 4-6 to come in. ;))​

@supratachophobia or anyone else: Have you noticed any pattern that just before MP decides to start an unexpected USB rescan, the CID goes blank for perhaps 2-3 seconds then comes back to life -- fully operational, except for USB music while rescan is underway? (There is no Tesla T like we're used to seeing with a reboot, just what appears as a temporary black-out of the CID.)

My more recent increase in rescans unfortunately has me more focused on MP bugs again. This morning all was normal with my last USB tune from yesterday restarting play again as I opened the rear and front doors on my MS. I first opened my rear door to let my dog up onto the back seat, closed it, then got into the front. The song restarted from the beginning both times as I think it normally has. What was different was after I parked at my destination, then returned: I opened the rear door to put my grocery bag on the floor, and music started playing so I didn't think anything of it. Then, I closed that rear door and got into the front seat. Odd -- no music and the CID went blank for 2-3 secs, while the IC was still operation, then I noticed USB rescan had restarted. Very strange. I may be loosing it, but this temporary "black out" seems like a new symptom related to at least some, if not all rescans. I'll keep my eye on it. Would appreciate if others would do the same if you encounter any rescan anomalies. Thx.

(While I've stopped trying to test every release to ID what's changed with MP, I can't help myself still trying to see where there may be patterns to unexpected failures, be that with non-driver doors opening or something else. I'd be more than happy to report yet another MP bug when I take my MS in for annual service in early October, assuming of course "my part" has not come in by then -- it's only been 12 weeks for something that was estimated to take 4-6 to come in. ;))​
I've only seen that once. And full disclosure, you get WAY more rescans than I do. Unless I'm missing something, but I'm getting in and out of the car 15-20 times a day. There has got to be a glaring difference in our scenarios and I just dont know what it is. We use the same type of media, a similar amount of songs, etc.

I've only seen that once. And full disclosure, you get WAY more rescans than I do. Unless I'm missing something, but I'm getting in and out of the car 15-20 times a day. There has got to be a glaring difference in our scenarios and I just dont know what it is. We use the same type of media, a similar amount of songs, etc.
Yes, that's why I asked. Lots of similarities, and I do use my MS mostly for shorter errands, but you top me with your in-and-outs/day. It's very odd. I just can't believe Tesla got "random rescans" right for some of us, but keeps getting "random shuffle" wrong over-and-over. ;).

To sidetrack the discussion even more, I've found a new Android player called BlackPlayerEX (paid version, probably spent the cost of a charging adapter on media player apps to test in the car....)

This, so far, is the best one I've tested as far as hands off playback, randomization, play queues, play orders, etc. It has a couple homerun features (similar to the Empeg) which I *really* like. I'll be demoing it in the car for the next 168 hours, but this might be the one, fingers crossed. I have a dedicated OnePlus 3T for this project which also supposed OTG USB storage and charging passthrough so it could be a permanent edition with no compromises very easily (save for streaming quality issue, I know).

Tesla, a couple of features you may want to note:
1. Tapping the Album Title in a random playlist of whatever (genre, all tracks, etc.) brings up the other songs in that album to queue up (Empeg feature).
2. Something called "Zap" which plays the first 5 seconds of songs you either haven't heard at all or heard in a while. Extremely useful for mixing things up and keeping things fresh.
3. Now Playing Queue that shows the next 10 or so songs that are coming up in the playlist. You can take songs out of the queue simply by swiping them!
4. Track details in now playing screen (bitrate, quality, file type, etc.)
5. Tag Editor, however, the Empeg's way to deal with this was to "Mark" a track so that when you sync at your computer, you could find the track that you marked and correct it's info. So, not asking Tesla to add a full Tag Editor, but it would be nice to somehow note a track that had bad info, wouldn't load, skips/pops, etc.
6. Gapless/Crossfade
7. Recently Added playlist
8. A documented changlog and FAQ, you know, the standard things that developers do....

@supratachophobia, do you keep Energy Savings ON and Always Connected Checked, or some other Energy combo?

After encountering unexpected rescans a couple more times today, I remembered in some previous firmware level(s) that some owners found Energy Savings ON/OFF influenced USB rescans. I don't remember specifics as these intricacies have evolved too many times. Before I test turning Energy Savings OFF to see if that makes a difference with my increased rescans, thought I'd check what you're running. Thanks!

How many tracks?

145GB.....
How many tracks?

Hey Bert...sorry for the delayed response. I have 4800 tracks, with many nested at 3rd folder level (8 primary folders with 5 dedicated artists, other 3 found at A-D, E-N-etc.), then either alpha by album or sorted by year, album by artist, with others no more than 4 levels

Artist 1.2.3.4.5 > grouped by year or record company > album and/or single compilation > song list.
A-D, E-N, O-Z > artist > album > song list

I've used Music Tag Editor to tag everything so I can locate on Tesla's UI (i.e.. one example for Ella Fitzgerald: EF_Ella in Berlin_song list; another; Nat King Cole: NKC_After Midnight, NKC). I typically add year in title and if applicable arranger so I can query if needed.

Ripping and tagging everything was a pain but now I can work around Tesla's shortcomings......

• Helpful
Reactions: BertL