Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Music Tag Editor.png
Music Tag Editor was a great product to Teslaize my USB list. Not taking any chances, I just made sure Artist, Album Artis, Album, year & Artwork were the same. I deleted any info tied to Disc # and used auto feature to sequence track # (made sure that tracks were named 01, 02, 03, 04-09, 10, etc.). As I noted, I used a two-three alpha character in front of album name so that I can get to artist albums quickly in Tesla's UI protocol. Since then, no problems.

Still waiting for gapless playback. :-(
Yes, it is a long standing requirement from some owners. Even though many modern players have the capability and it may be splitting hairs on terminology, IMHO gapless playback is not a bug with existing MP functionality which this thread is focused on. It's instead something new that owners would like added to the capabilities MP already provides. ;)

Nothing substantive to add here, but I figured for everyone's own internal metrics update I would mention that I also use exclusively Linux (like @amosnomor ).

The twist for me is that my music currently is a menagorie of tags from Windows, Mac, and Linux sources. I'm going to re-rip everything and re-tag when the kernel 4.4 (that's what was rumored, right?) update finally drops.

I'd be happy to try some alternate permutations to get more data points since @amosnomor and I have differing Model Ses.

• Helpful
Reactions: Magomboman
@BertL
... I do know from testing I did months ago that some tag utilities created more problematic files when it came to issues I had with MP. Some of that I suspect was due to the utilities being buggy or downlevel in their use of common libraries to manipulate MP3 tagging which caused some sort of internal problems within the files themselves. Sometimes those manipulated files worked fine again say in iTunes, but I couldn't then get some tags to be recognized within MP. One file I attempted to inspect from a fellow poster here on the forum, worked on his PC, not in MP, and when I stripped all tagging away using my macOS utilitiy, I could get the file to play in his and my MS again.

Thanks Bert. This comment caused me to go back and reexamine the tags on my files, and I found that the Linux tool I am using (eyeD3) was silently adding the TXXX ID3v2 tag frame (User defined text information frame) to put its own tagging timestamp in. I've removed that, and so far (only for two days), no tags have been lost. I will report back on this in another week if still holding.

Ever since I updated to 17.26.76, my shuffle playback has been working without repeats. Ok, let me rephrase that: when I play Favorites and use the shuffle, it appears to not repeat the same string of songs that has plagued me for months. I haven't tried shuffle for all songs.

Another strange occurrence.....today I was testing my "primary" Patriot USB & also my backup. I installed the "backup" first, waited the 10 minutes to load and then pulled that one out and inserted the "primary" USB.

The system didn't miss a beat and strangely the Patriot was readily available upon insertion.

However, after I took a brief trip and left vehicle for an 1/2 hour the system needed to rescan the "primary" Patriot.

Another strange occurrence.....today I was testing my "primary" Patriot USB & also my backup. I installed the "backup" first, waited the 10 minutes to load and then pulled that one out and inserted the "primary" USB.

The system didn't miss a beat and strangely the Patriot was readily available upon insertion.

However, after I took a brief trip and left vehicle for an 1/2 hour the system needed to rescan the "primary" Patriot.
Power-saving status?

Well I am unhappy to report that 2017.28 c528869 did absolutely nothing for my chopped up multi artist albums. About the only thing I have seen changed from my cars perspective is now I cannot get access to the car via the Tesla app from my wi-fi free zone at home. I have 3 bars of LTE which used to be enough, but not now. :(

Thanks Bert. This comment caused me to go back and reexamine the tags on my files, and I found that the Linux tool I am using (eyeD3) was silently adding the TXXX ID3v2 tag frame (User defined text information frame) to put its own tagging timestamp in. I've removed that, and so far (only for two days), no tags have been lost. I will report back on this in another week if still holding.
So, that seems to have been it. It hasn't lost any tags in the past week, which also included a software update to (the hardly euphonious) 2017.28 c5288869

Reactions: BertL
A good shuffle algorithm is not easy to build. It is one of the hardest problems in the world. Countless computer science engineers have been researching it for decades.
Is the shuffle function in Tesla perfect? Of course not. You have to manually take over to switch songs often. Yet, it is remarkable how Tesla has been able to get it working to this level in such a short period of time, years ahead of the competition. The good thing is we have OTA updates, and it will get better with time, while others are stuck with whatever shuffle they get when they buy their car.

A good shuffle algorithm is not easy to build. It is one of the hardest problems in the world. Countless computer science engineers have been researching it for decades.
Is the shuffle function in Tesla perfect? Of course not. You have to manually take over to switch songs often. Yet, it is remarkable how Tesla has been able to get it working to this level in such a short period of time, years ahead of the competition. The good thing is we have OTA updates, and it will get better with time, while others are stuck with whatever shuffle they get when they buy their car.
The only thing that's true in these two paragraphs is:
"Is the shuffle function in Tesla perfect? Of course not."

A good shuffle algorithm is not easy to build. It is one of the hardest problems in the world.
Sorry, but no. The random shuffle algorithm was solved decades ago.

The problem we're seeing with the Tesla media player is simply that it's unable to remember its place in the shuffled array (list), once that list has been generated. It seems to go back over the same section of the array instead of always moving forward.

I appreciate your optimistic POV. I started with a similar mindset when I first took delivery, giving the startup every benefit of the doubt, but after waiting many months for outstanding acknowledged bugs related to more than just media player to be addressed, and several other customer service opportunities where Tesla elected to not meet their commitments to me, I no longer believe as you do. I love my MS and want to get back on the "true believer bandwagon", but Tesla has demonstrated through their actions or lack thereof, my former optimism was at least partially misplaced. I simply hate that my norm has become to expect some sort of basic Infotainment or firmware issue the majority of the times I take my $100K MS out for a drive. I've never had to compromise as much to simply listen to my own music with any former and far less expensive vehicle I've owned (Lexus, MBZ, BMW, Acura). Each had their quirks, but none were as limiting or frustrating for what I need and expect from an Infotainment system, which is a critical element in how I enjoy any vehicle.

IMHO the reality is:

- I agree shuffle algorithms are technically more challenging to code especially if the application is memory/temp storage constrained like 1st Gen CIDs are with only 2GB total. The unfortunate truth is Tesla has not taken the time to first make Random Play utilize a better seed (which is a basis for shuffle logic) so songs in the same list don't repeat as often as they do. We've seen some tweaks, but what we have is far from acceptable from an engineering firm that has proven they are capable, and is taking on much more complex projects like autonomous driving putting peoples lives and property at stake. I did a better job creating my own random number generator in my first college FORTRAN lab assignment using punched cards back in 1972. There are also countless examples where random or shuffle algorithms have been available for years as part of cheap media players, including iPods that are now 15 years old. Perhaps the alogrithms are not technically perfect, but they're acceptable to millions of consumers including myself. While I'd love to have "shuffle" on my MS MP, I'd be happy with a much improved "random" play that just worked (should memory constraints prohibiting shuffle to be implemented for any large number of tracks.)

- The issue simply comes down to Elon and therefore Tesla do not care about Infotainment/Media Player in their grand scheme of things that are important, or see its bugs and shortcomings as something that (yet) hinders new car sales.​

Last edited:
Reactions: supratachophobia
10 months after getting my X, these issues still present:

- does not resume from where it left off
- often defaults to Bluetooth playback from my phone
- no source selected at all on start

Is it really that hard to resolve? Are they even aware of the issues? Not that I didn't send multiple emails to support.

Reactions: supratachophobia

I took this as sarcasm? Basically the exact same stuff as is said all the time about AP?

I would love to see it fixed, it is appallingly bad. There was a Golden period, after they finally added Shuffle (6.2 I think) when on the S at least, it worked and shuffled reasonably well. Then they took it all away. :(