Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I can explain the \x20, etc. That is the string escape sequence for ASCII value for space (Hex 0x20). It's an easily fix. FYI:

Ascii Table - ASCII character codes and html, octal, hex and decimal chart conversion

I have about 1200 mp3 on a fast USB 3.0 drive. Indexing speed is fine, but I can't scroll more that a couple of pages. Every time I do the scroll bar goes nuts and the becomes UI becomes unusable. I can only get a few pages in before the app malfunctions and interprets my swipes as clicks. My best guess is that the developer did not fix the size of the UI container and the component is recalculating the size of the list view to render the scrollbar (or the list view component is broken)

Also, I ***wish*** Tesla would add USB to the voice search. This was on my Ford Fusion (Sync) and was awesome.

So, I can explain the \x20, etc. That is the string escape sequence for ASCII value for space (Hex 0x20). It's an easily fix. FYI:

Ascii Table - ASCII character codes and html, octal, hex and decimal chart conversion

I have about 1200 mp3 on a fast USB 3.0 drive. Indexing speed is fine, but I can't scroll more that a couple of pages. Every time I do the scroll bar goes nuts and the becomes UI becomes unusable. I can only get a few pages in before the app malfunctions and interprets my swipes as clicks. My best guess is that the developer did not fix the size of the UI container and the component is recalculating the size of the list view to render the scrollbar (or the list view component is broken)

Also, I ***wish*** Tesla would add USB to the voice search. This was on my Ford Fusion (Sync) and was awesome.
Can you be our spokesperson? You seem to have a pretty good technical grasp on the problem.

Thanks very much. I would really appreciate it if you could check on gapless playback. This is the bugfix I've been waiting for for three years. If it isn't fixed yet I'll be disgusted. If it is, I might actually upgrade.

Me too, but I guess we'll have to keep waiting (it's not fixed in 8.0). I have a feeling they'll never fix this. Seems we're not supposed to listen to music the way we used to. Albums? What are albums?

Can you be our spokesperson? You seem to have a pretty good technical grasp on the problem.

I'm an Android developer, but conceptually most user interfaces (UI) are the same. I'm not sure what Tesla develops their UI with.

The generally issue with software development is that software development takes time and they have a limited number of developers. That means companies have to focus on features they feel are the most valuable. Our best way to get things fixed is to politely bring this to their attention in mass. I would suggest we all email support. ;)

Our best way to get things fixed is to politely bring this to their attention in mass. I would suggest we all email support. ;)
Agreed. I have done this already (I reported it as two bugs, one summarized as "USB playback of my relatively large (25k track) library fails with media player hang or restart" and the other as "Media player UI is unusable for non-trivial libraries because no non-sequential access is provided"). I did get a reply that included "please let us know if you do not hear from service within a few weeks on this", I have a nag set up in my calendar for two weeks from now.

There are certainly other bugs, but for me, those two were the elephants in the room. If they had a good user-accessible bug reporting system, I'd open a bunch more at lower priority, but as it is I didn't want to distract them with less-important stuff.

FWIW this is an excellent -- and brief! -- guide on how to write a helpful bug report. Obviously, we're not reporting bugs against emacs, but the principles remain the same. GNU Emacs Manual: Understanding Bug Reporting

Edited to add: I sent my report to [email protected]

I'm an Android developer, but conceptually most user interfaces (UI) are the same. I'm not sure what Tesla develops their UI with.

The generally issue with software development is that software development takes time and they have a limited number of developers. That means companies have to focus on features they feel are the most valuable. Our best way to get things fixed is to politely bring this to their attention in mass. I would suggest we all email support. ;)
So that begs the question, why did Tesla think the changes it made to USB music were valuable? Why put scarce resources into it rather than leaving it the way it was?

Reactions: jgs
Looks like getting to a specific album, via artist, is now gone? If I click on artist, it shows me all the songs by that artist in alphabetical order. So now if I want to find a specific album, I have to click on album view then scroll thru hundreds of albums? Or am I missing something?

Also, seems that most of my album covers are now gone so whatever I did before must have been sub-par. Anybody have any suggestions on what program to use to add the album covers back in (when using a Mac)?

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

That does appear to be part of the issue, but perhaps not the whole story. Example:
IMG_6101.JPG

Size in GB and number of tracks on that storage volume?
931.5 gb 3638 songs. It is reloading after long sleep, approximately 1-2 minutes. I was not getting "playing on" behavior at first, but this reloading thing now obscures that. I agree with concensus that prior was bad but workable, now total mess. Will write tesla. Bummer.

Reactions: jcadman22 and jgs
931.5 gb 3638 songs. It is reloading after long sleep, approximately 1-2 minutes. I was not getting "playing on" behavior at first, but this reloading thing now obscures that. I agree with concensus that prior was bad but workable, now total mess. Will write tesla. Bummer.

Lots of audio books? Thanks for those numbers. If that's truly the size, then it looks like once we hit 10k tracks on a single volume, the scanning may choke. Can anyone else chime in?

I'm also a software developer. One of the big things with developing software, particularly if it's for a commercial market, is controlling regressions. Sure software is hard, but if you let your development get out of control, it becomes VERY hard. That's what Tesla has done repeatedly. They seem embody the classic joke of letting their software escape rather than be released.

IMHO the best way they could fix this is by opening up a sandboxed API so that competent people could fix the software. Failing that, someone in authority at Tesla needs to take a big broom to their software department.

Accurate numbers? Even if all your audio is uncompressed, the back of my envelope says that's like 24 minutes/track on average.
You are correct. I just recorded what was on the tesla display. I believe that is total available on the terabyte drive, not size of music folder. I will check that later, but suspect around 150 gb.

No audio books. All flac music.

Reactions: jgs
I'm also a software developer. One of the big things with developing software, particularly if it's for a commercial market, is controlling regressions. Sure software is hard, but if you let your development get out of control, it becomes VERY hard. That's what Tesla has done repeatedly. They seem embody the classic joke of letting their software escape rather than be released.

IMHO the best way they could fix this is by opening up a sandboxed API so that competent people could fix the software. Failing that, someone in authority at Tesla needs to take a big broom to their software department.
I'm just shocked this got through beta.

Reactions: neroden and jgs

Infotainment SDK for apps and read only access to driving dynamic data. Been asking for years.

• Love
Reactions: neroden