Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose I should send them a (fourth? fifth? sixth?) email, but I've given up. They're hopeless. They don't care about fixing basic functionality. I've personally mentioned the problem to von Holhausen, I've called every phone number I know of, I've tweeted Elon -- total unresponsiveness from the unresponsive Tesla management.

If anyone from Tesla's management team ever reads this, they're four years overdue to implement gapless playback. It's necessary for radio plays (like _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_), and for albums like _Dark Side of the Moon_ and _Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band_. Every good audio player implements it, as do CD players, tape decks, and vinyl. They have had this bug report since 2013. Any half-competent programmer could fix it. Open up the code and I could fix it. Better, put a new skin on Audacious and call it a day.

The trouble (hour long delays) with large USB sticks is inexcusable; it's presumably because they're doing something dumb.

The directory and file structure isn't that large (measured in kilobytes), and you never need to load more than the index plus two tracks (the current one and the next one, queued to play "gaplessly".) So it's a low-memory operation. I don't need them to preemptively sort the entire contents of my USB stick by "artist" (it won't get it right anyway), I don't need them to look up album art (half of my stuff is copied from vinyl or obscure CD-R print runs and they'll never find it), I just need to be able to access the file directory structure, which is the only thing I ever use anyway.

They have no sense of priorities.

Last edited:
I sent my 5th request in for compilation albums but don't even get the auto response anymore. Probably on Teslas Do Not Recognize list. :(
This time I actually received a response but with an acceptable holiday delay which was unnecessarily apologized for.

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support, I apologize for the delayed response.

I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have experienced. Looking into your situation, I would recommend going into the files on your USB and ensuring the tags on your music are accurate to how you wish to organize your music.

I responded back with:

Yes the tags are absolutely correct and work on every other media player out there.

This worked great until just before the firmware with the Model X Christmas in 2016. That release broke it.

The problem lies with any track that has more than one artist listed. In that case the Tesla media player assumes it's a different album and treats it accordingly, even though the album tag is the same.

And the next day I received this reply:

I'm sorry that you are still having continued issues with the USB media indexing of compilation albums. I will forward on your feature request and feedback to see if there is anything that can be done.

So at least a warm body reviewed it and sent it on to the group that should be responsible, I hope.

an interesting update and new (to-me) strange symptom of the USB Loading Error bug...

another TMC user @Koryin over in another thread noticed that USB Loading Errors also momentarily mute other audio in the car, such as the turn signal clicking sound (!?!)

Separately, for some time I've noticed sometimes while driving I'll engage my turn signals but for a few blinks there'll be no audio clicking sound in the car. I passed it off as just some random bug, not knowing how to reproduce it or what causes it. Until now...

Since it's easy for me to reproduce the USB Loading Errors (happens easily/frequently but only with .M4A/AAC files, not MP3) - I can confirm that this is indeed true - a USB Loading error momentarily mutes the turn signal clicking. It also mutes the clicking sound of the 4way hazard lights, and although I didn't test it, Koryin suggest it may also mute other audio in the car such as the Early Collision Warning alarm sound - in which case this could be a safety issue

Here's how to reproduce:

1) load a USB flash drive with a collection of music, only .M4A/AAC files
2) play songs from the USB, usually I have it in shuffle mode
3) eventually a Loading Error will occur. sometimes I can cause them to happen frequently just by FFWD'ing to next track, other times many tracks play normally before an error occurs. If the number of songs on the drive is small, Loading Errors seem to decrease over time, I think maybe the audio system is caching the files. If that happens I reboot the CID and remove/reinsert the USB drive and can then again cause the Loading Errors more frequently

4a) if the turn signals (or 4way hazards) are already on and blinking normally before the loading error occurs, then usually following 4-5 more normal audible clicks, the clicking sound will be muted for perhaps 5-7 blinks. The turn signal indicator on the dash and the turns signal lights themselves are actually still blinking even though sound is muted. After the muted blinks, the clicking sound resumes and turn signals will click normally, until you next encounter a Loading Error on another track

4b) if the loading error occurs while the turn signal is off (e.g. you're just driving normally, straight), then if you engage the turn signal sometime in the next while, say within <30seconds(?), when you next engage the turn signals (or hazard lights) the turn signals will start to blink but without the clicking sound, for anywhere from a couple to 6 or 7 blinks. After that the turn signal will click normally, until you next encounter a Loading Error on another track

behaviour is not 100% consistent as far as I can tell, e.g. how many clicks get muted or how long after the loading error you can engage the turn signal and still get it muted - maybe it's just a certain time after the Loading Error starts... but then inconsistent behaviour of the software is perhaps the expected norm here.

my car is currently on software version 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d

I've got an annual service appointment scheduled in a couple weeks - as I mentioned previously I'm going to report these Loading Errors and a couple other USB MP bugs at that time, so at least they're officially recorded on my work order. Although I've emailed Tesla twice about this issue with zero reply from them, perhaps I'll try again mentioning the potential safety issue angle...

Further update on the USB Loading Errors caused by playing back .M4A/AAC music tracks:

today I tested and confirmed that following a USB loading error it will also momentarily mute the car's startup sounds when you first press the brake to start the car, as well as the 3-beep warning normally heard if you try to put the car into Drive with the charge plug still connected. Meanwhile in the other thread I mentioned just above, @Koryin also confirmed it mutes autopilot audible warnings - these in addition to earlier findings of it muting turn signal/4way flasher clicks and door lock/unlock chimes.

So it looks pretty certain this bug affects ALL in-car audible alerts & sounds. Seems there's a finite chance that it could mute a Forward Collision Warning or other urgent alert sound, therefore == Safety Issue, aside from being generally annoying that .M4A/AAC tracks won't play reliably any more.

an aside... I wonder if the frequent Slacker loading errors many people periodically experience (including me) causes the same muting of in-car audio alert sounds??... hmmm

anyhow I'm definitely going to summarize these findings in an email to my local Service Advisor in advance of my upcoming service appointment, so that it goes on record and I know there's a live human I can follow this up with. Hopefully the bug report will get to engineering this time, instead of going to that great Bit Bucket in the Sky like my previous emails to [email protected] and [email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
So on a happy note, I think the whole shuffle issue has finally been solved. Really. I'm on 2017.50.2 and haven't heard a single repeat song in over two weeks. For me things started getting a lot better around ~2017.42 but there was still an occasional duplicate song chain. Duplicates seem to have been completely eliminated with the Christmas release. I've heard (and read) so many false alarms in the past I was afraid to post until I was fairly sure!

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Yes, I too have noticed no repeating sequences in last couple of weeks. However I do see occasional repeating tracks.
Resuming a track from where left off is still random though. Sometimes resumes, sometimes restarts.

My primary gripe is still Tesla using <Album, Artist> tag pair to make albums instead of <Album, AlbumArtist> tag pair. If Tesla can fix this, I am willing to live with all other USB bugs without complaining :).

Reactions: aesculus and bmah
One plus year since owning the X, my car still does not resume mp3 playback when I get in the car. It’s always defaulted to no-source and I have to go in recent to start playback. Occasionally it does but I have not found the pattern. This can’t be rocket science. Yes I have reported this issue to Tesla multiple times.

One plus year since owning the X, my car still does not resume mp3 playback when I get in the car. It’s always defaulted to no-source and I have to go in recent to start playback. Occasionally it does but I have not found the pattern. This can’t be rocket science. Yes I have reported this issue to Tesla multiple times.
Sorry you're having problems (like most of us that use USB do). This is a long thread, with few absolutes to correct many of the ongoing bugs, but one thing that *may* help reduce some of your problems is to ensure you keep Range Mode OFF. I found that since I stopped allowing my MS to go into deeper sleep, and instead let it waste energy by not doing so, the frequency of MP changing the source upon start-up is less -- it still happens -- just not as much for me. I also believe there is still something related to MP bugs raising their head more often (as well as other problems) after my MS goes through a charging cycle using my HPWC, but I have never figured out the pattern -- SvC can't find any problem or other report of that in their system. My MP3 VBR tracks do otherwise generally continue playback upon entry, albeit it's unpredictable if it's on the same track as I left it or another one. ;). Good luck.

Sorry you're having problems (like most of us that use USB do). This is a long thread, with few absolutes to correct many of the ongoing bugs, but one thing that *may* help reduce some of your problems is to ensure you keep Range Mode OFF. I found that since I stopped allowing my MS to go into deeper sleep, and instead let it waste energy by not doing so, the frequency of MP changing the source upon start-up is less -- it still happens -- just not as much for me. I also believe there is still something related to MP bugs raising their head more often (as well as other problems) after my MS goes through a charging cycle using my HPWC, but I have never figured out the pattern -- SvC can't find any problem or other report of that in their system. My MP3 VBR tracks do otherwise generally continue playback upon entry, albeit it's unpredictable if it's on the same track as I left it or another one. ;). Good luck.
Thanks for the info. The issue is that the the behavior is different on the model X. My car has range mode off and all the power savings off. I am correctly driving a S loaner and it does not have the same issue, or at least it resumes most of the time.

The USB issues speak to gross incompetence by Tesla's software team. I could fix the worst one myself given code access.

The one real deal-breaker is the loading issue. I have over 512 GB of music on my stick. I need it to be available immediately, not after half an hour (by which time I may be at my destination).

This is trivial -- any computer can do it. I *only need access in folder mode* -- I've organized my music myself, thank you very much -- so the car doesn't need to do *any* scanning except of the top-level directory file, and whichever directory I tap to open.

I still have an early software version from before they broke this. Until this is fixed, I have a standing order at Tesla that they are PROHIBITED from updating my firmware and they will be sued if they do -- I would consider the update to constitute damage to the car which they were legally obligated to repair by reverting the firmware.

The situation is absurd. They could just hire any competent programmer in California and get it fixed. Instead, they are going to develop some seriously negative word-of-mouth.

If they really think it's hard to fix this sort of trivial bug, I hereby offer to fix it for them. My conditions: they have to come into compliance with the licenses for the software they are using (I don't work on pirated software), something which I will be happy to help them do as well; my consulting rate is $100/hour; and they reimburse my travel, room, and board expenses (and I have allergies so these are expensive).

Last edited:
Further update on the USB Loading Errors caused by playing back .M4A/AAC music tracks:

today I tested and confirmed that following a USB loading error it will also momentarily mute the car's startup sounds when you first press the brake to start the car, as well as the 3-beep warning normally heard if you try to put the car into Drive with the charge plug still connected. Meanwhile in the other thread I mentioned just above, @Koryin also confirmed it mutes autopilot audible warnings - these in addition to earlier findings of it muting turn signal/4way flasher clicks and door lock/unlock chimes.

So it looks pretty certain this bug affects ALL in-car audible alerts & sounds. Seems there's a finite chance that it could mute a Forward Collision Warning or other urgent alert sound, therefore == Safety Issue, aside from being generally annoying that .M4A/AAC tracks won't play reliably any more.

an aside... I wonder if the frequent Slacker loading errors many people periodically experience (including me) causes the same muting of in-car audio alert sounds??... hmmm

anyhow I'm definitely going to summarize these findings in an email to my local Service Advisor in advance of my upcoming service appointment, so that it goes on record and I know there's a live human I can follow this up with. Hopefully the bug report will get to engineering this time, instead of going to that great Bit Bucket in the Sky like my previous emails to [email protected] and [email protected]
I repro'd the alarm muting just now in my car as well. Totally unacceptable. IMHO we should all be filing NHTSA reports.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
I repro'd the alarm muting just now in my car as well. Totally unacceptable. IMHO we should all be filing NHTSA reports.

ps I’ve not tried reproducing the problem during a collision warning but I’ve meanwhile reproduced it momentarily muting autopilot warning chimes, among all the other alerts I’ve already mentioned. So I have zero doubt it mutes ALL in-car alert sounds for those few seconds after a USB loading error occurs

I wrote an email with details to my local service advisor and service center prior to dropping my car off this am for annual service including mention of potential safety issue. My prior 2 bug report emails to Tesla support were completely ignored (although those ones didn’t mention the more recent discovery of audio muting/safety issue)

When I pick my car up later today I’ll see what they say and insist it be reported to Tesla engineering, and also insist on getting a reply. We’ll see if that goes anywhere...

Btw I can reproduce the problem in my 100D service loaner today, v8.1 2018.2 0eddd23 (as I did with a different loaner I had last time)

And their response would probably be to remove all support for .M4A/AAC music. :( Since as far as I can tell they don't say that they support them. (The only thing I can find is that they only support FAT32 and exFAT at this time.)
Right. :D Unlike all other major mfgrs, Tesla has never documented what is supported within MP USB beyond physical media formatting (at least before they stopped keeping the WWW version of the owners guide current on each of our Owners Page. I also didn’t find anything the last time I slow—-ly looked through the in-vehicle version of the manual while I was waiting for my SpC fill-up to complete, that I believe should match the installed firmware release.)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I hope everyone is having a great holiday season. My best for an early Happy New Year.

As a reminder to those encountering Media Player USB bugs or other annoyances, please ensure you take the occasional opportunity to let Tesla directly know of your concerns. Reporting specifics on your next Service Center visit, or for those in North America, an email to [email protected] will get the job done.

In that regard, the new "Ho Ho Ho" Easter Egg has kept my mind spinning the past few days, so to clear my head before the new year begins, yesterday I fired off the following to ServiceHelpNA. I don't expect a reply, or if I do, it will almost guaranteed be the boiler plate "we assure you that your concern will be reviewed by the right people". ;) We could create a whole different thread on the real results any of us can correlate with sending in our concerns, however I continue to believe formally letting Tesla know of our problems and suggestions is necessary. Perhaps some day volumes of cards and letters on the same subject will result in change. To hopefully spur you on, here's the email I sent off yesterday:

Sirs:

I recently received Firmware V2017.50.2 3bd9f6d, and appreciate Tesla’s continued updates. I’m especially interested in the new "Chill Mode” I have enabled that may help reduce my dog’s motion sickness she experiences since I purchased my Model S in October 2016.

I am however, especially dismayed that Tesla continues to expend time and resource on more Easter Eggs, while not first resolving long-standing basic firmware bugs. "Ho Ho Ho" is cute and provides an initial chuckle, but is not something owners need and/or expect to work every time they use their Tesla. I use my vehicle's Infotainment system, including Media Player USB Playback in my Model S nearly all the time. Unfortunately, I (and other owners) continue to encounter what appear as CID and/or Media Player firmware failures sometimes multiple times per day. Many of these issues have been reported, including to a Service Center, with no real resolution for more than a year. Examples:
  • Encounter “Loading Error” out-of-the-blue, listening to USB or (more recently) Slacker
  • Listen to silence for several minutes when an unexpected “rescan” occurs with a USB device that was not physically removed
  • USB “random” shuffle playback begins to repeat the same tracks after playing 10-20 tracks when there are hundreds or thousands Media Player can select from
  • Situations where Media Player switches to a different source after exiting and re-entering the vehicle
  • and other failings (and feature requests) reported to Tesla, as well as discussed in more detail in forums and threads such as Comprehensive USB Bug List which also include workarounds the community has developed to address other problems and lacking features
Having a full-function Infotainment system that “just works” without bugs and a lot of workarounds, is a basic capability I’ve come to expect from 20+ years of Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz ownership prior to my Tesla. I know not all owners use or care about Infotainment the same way and with the same priority. For me, Infotainment can be a differentiator, and it has always taken my driving experience to the next level. Because I use and interact with it so often, when it does not work as expected, Infotainment quickly becomes a major irritant despite how good the rest of the vehicle may be. I love my Tesla, which, when combined with Tesla’s Supercharger network, is clearly the best long-range luxury BEV available today. Unfortunately, Tesla’s lack of attention fixing firmware bugs, not yet catching-up to provide many of the Infotainment basics other manufacturers have delivered for years, improving the UI, spotty Service experiences, and public timeframe commitments that are seldom met, have become the reasons I no longer recommend Tesla without significant caveats. My experience is Tesla does not demonstrate they always follow-through or care about the detail before moving on to the next big thing, and I have sadly become hard-pressed to believe I will purchase another Tesla one day because of it.

I appreciate resolving mundane Infotainment problems and improving it’s basic functionality are not as intellectually stimulating or news-worthy as dreaming up new vehicles, putting a roadster into space, pushing towards level 5 self-driving autonomy, or implementing a new Easter egg. Some Tesla owners like myself have been patiently waiting a long time for solid Infotainment and Media Player USB improvements while Tesla has been growing, but time has about run out. A number of the bugs such as the “USB shuffle routine that isn’t random enough” are something a good entry-level programmer could resolve sitting behind a desk with no capital, huge cash outlay or first-of-it’s-kind design. It only requires Tesla’s Executive Team shift priorities slightly, to continually demonstrate quality counts in all aspects of what Tesla's delivers — allowing originally enthusiastic new owners like myself, that have had the time to learn and live with their Tesla, to be elated once again each and every time we’re behind the wheel — and be a proponent for change I know Tesla and many of us really desire.

Thank you for your consideration.
Bert
Model S VIN: xxxxxx
FWIW, it took exactly one month, but I did get a reply to my above 12/29 email last evening.

For optimists holding onto hope, note in the reply below what I've highlighted in bold. I'm personally not holding my breath while I continue to use my many workarounds. I'll be pleased should quality improvements be provided one day, but unlike some owners who have been quick to provide Tesla past kudos for changes when they've come along, I won't really be "thankful" for what have become basics owners should simply expect. Like an elephant, I will never be able to completely forget what Tesla has chosen to put some of it's owners through over such a long period of time. ;)
Hello Bert,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to the Media Player. I have submitted your feedback on improving the functionality of the Media player to our Feature Request team for further review. Our team values your input as it helps our team determine what features to concentrate on to improve our customer experience. There will be more updates to the Media player moving forward as Tesla is committed to continued improvements to the infotainment system through Firmware updates.

Please feel free to contact Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Sincerely, xxx

Enjoy that MS!

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and msnow