Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one strange issue with the USB playback that I haven't managed to find anywhere:

I have a USB drive in the car loaded with a small amount of music(~4GB). This worked and loaded fine when I got the car(December 2016) until a few months ago when the "USB" section in the music player disappeared. Finally, this last weekend, I took the time to bring the USB upstairs to look it over with my computer to see if I could find anything wrong. Everything is still there and looks fine. The drive is formatted FAT32 and the music is all in mp3 format. I tried rearranging it with Testap's music organization app to see if that would help, and added some cover art while I was at it with MediaMonkey. I took the drive back down and plugged it in and still no dice. I suppose it's possible they broke/removed support for some USB device drivers during some update along the way, but I haven't seen any widespread reports of things like this here.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I have one strange issue with the USB playback that I haven't managed to find anywhere:

I have a USB drive in the car loaded with a small amount of music(~4GB). This worked and loaded fine when I got the car(December 2016) until a few months ago when the "USB" section in the music player disappeared.

Bad port perhaps? On 50.3 and everything works as with earlier releases.

• Informative

I have a USB drive in the car loaded with a small amount of music(~4GB). This worked and loaded fine when I got the car(December 2016) until a few months ago when the "USB" section in the music player disappeared. Finally, this last weekend, I took the time to bring the USB upstairs to look it over with my computer to see if I could find anything wrong. Everything is still there and looks fine. The drive is formatted FAT32 and the music is all in mp3 format. I tried rearranging it with Testap's music organization app to see if that would help, and added some cover art while I was at it with MediaMonkey. I took the drive back down and plugged it in and still no dice. I suppose it's possible they broke/removed support for some USB device drivers during some update along the way, but I haven't seen any widespread reports of things like this here.

not sure if this is your problem, but there is a longstanding media player bug (one of many bugs) where the "wrong" source or no source is selected when you get back in the car. e.g. you're playing USB music, then park the car but when you get back in, instead of resuming what you were playing before on USB either a completely different source (e.g. radio) is selected, or NO audio source at all is selected.

I've noticed that sometimes the USB tab even goes missing in such case that no source is selected. If I then select, for example, the Streaming Slacker tab, then the USB tab will magically reappear. No long time-consuming rescanning of the USB device happens in this case (my USB drive is 64GB), it just reappears and can be reselected for playback immediately. The media player still does this, I just saw it again this week - I'm currently on 2018.2 0eddd23

• Informative
not sure if this is your problem, but there is a longstanding media player bug (one of many bugs) where the "wrong" source or no source is selected when you get back in the car. e.g. you're playing USB music, then park the car but when you get back in, instead of resuming what you were playing before on USB either a completely different source (e.g. radio) is selected, or NO audio source at all is selected.

I've noticed that sometimes the USB tab even goes missing in such case that no source is selected. If I then select, for example, the Streaming Slacker tab, then the USB tab will magically reappear. No long time-consuming rescanning of the USB device happens in this case (my USB drive is 64GB), it just reappears and can be reselected for playback immediately. The media player still does this, I just saw it again this week - I'm currently on 2018.2 0eddd23

I've seen that issue as well(at least, the input switching part), but no, my USB tab just seems permanently gone, no matter what I do. I'd try a different USB drive, but this was my only one that actually worked when I got the car. I suppose I could try reaching out to service...

• Informative
No long time-consuming rescanning of the USB device happens in this case (my USB drive is 64GB), it just reappears and can be reselected for playback immediately. The media player still does this, I just saw it again this week - I'm currently on 2018.2 0eddd23

I've had this in older releases, but have not had it happen since maybe 17.26 or .28. Figured they solved that problem.

• Informative

This may seem obvious but in the immortal words of the IT Crowd, "Hello IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?".

In other words, did you reboot the car?

• Informative
This may seem obvious but in the immortal words of the IT Crowd, "Hello IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?".

In other words, did you reboot the car?

Yep, done the soft reboot(brake pedal down and push both scroll wheels until the MCU reboots) and also the hard shutdown(power off via the menus, wait inside the car touching nothing for 2 minutes and then step on the brake pedal)

If something in the car worked and suddenly doesn't, try rebooting. I had some weird problems with the app, the heater set from the phone would only stay on about 30 seconds. Rebooting has fixed it, but only temporarily. It started with the latest firmware.

I also had a problem that the radio would keep coming on from mute for about a second, then re-mute. Rebooting solved that too.

In addition to "soft reboot(brake pedal down and push both scroll wheels until the MCU reboots)", there is a "long" reboot you can try where you press the brake pedal and then hold both scroll wheels down for ~30 seconds, even after the center screen goes black. In the past, a "long" reboot has fixed issues with the media player that the "short" reboot did not, probably by getting rid of cache files or something.

And there is one other thing to try: rename your USB stick, which may cause the car to treat it as a new device it hasn't seen before.