Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a lot of Various Artists albums like "Concert for George" that are an absolute PITA to retag for the Tesla format. I tried Tesla Tunes, but it is designed for converting iTunes playlists, which I don't use. I need a program that retags existing MP3 and FLAC files from folders in a library. If you ever write a Mac version of the tagger, that would be a godsend.

The TeslaTags software I wrote includes a command-line version that doesn't have a dependency on WPF so it should run on a Mac under Mono or DNX. Can you give that a try?

It's all about Tesla's poor error recovery routines.
What are you trying to really do by "retagging" your tracks:
Remove the reference to "Track artist" so Tesla doesn't create as many "albums" as there are tracks on the file. I'm using Metadatics too. It means I have to manually remove the "track artist" replace it with "Various Artists" and embed the track artist in to the title. e.g. SongTitle "I Want to Tell You feat. Jeff Lynne"; Track Artist: Various Artists; Album: Concert for George

Remove the reference to "Track artist" so Tesla doesn't create as many "albums" as there are tracks on the file. I'm using Metadatics too. It means I have to manually remove the "track artist" replace it with "Various Artists" and embed the track artist in to the title. e.g. SongTitle "I Want to Tell You feat. Jeff Lynne"; Track Artist: Various Artists; Album: Concert for George

You could automate what you want to do with dBpoweramp as it's a subset and variation on what I'm doing, but it will take you a bit of experimentation and after the free 21-day trial, you'll need to purchase the product.

Since you have Metadatics, you can try these steps to accomplish what you want to do... I never used it for automation myself, but just spent some time with it, and it may be a solution for your couple of requirements:

1. Copy the tracks you want to modify for use in your Tesla from your master library to some temporary location. We don't want to mess up your original tracks.

2. Within Metadatics, you need to do this in at least three steps.
a. To change TRACKTITLE to be TRACKTITLE - TRACKARTIST:
- Select all your tracks in your temporary location
- On the menu, select Functions / Copy Tag to Tag
- On the popup submenu, specify:
-- Destination Tag: TRACKTITLE
-- Format String: {TRACKTITLE} - {TRACKARTIST}
-- Apply to Selected Files
-- Click OK. Your TRACKTITLE tags will be changed to have a dash and track artist after it. You'll see that for your tracks in the middle of the interface.​
b. Now, you want to change all the Track Artist tags to "Various Artists".
- Click the "Album" Column above your tracks in the middle of the interface to sort by Album name -- just to be sure you can see what is going on in a decent organized way
- Your tracks may already be selected, but just in case, select all your tracks in your temporary location if they are not already so. (Note, if you don't want to change some of the tracks for some of the albums, just unselect them.)
- Now, on the right side column in Metadatics where you see "All Tags", scroll down until you see TRACKARTIST. Double click it and change the Value from "<Multiple Values Marker>" to "Various Artists" (both without the double quotes).
- Click OK. Your Track Artist tags should all be changed to Various Artists.​
c. You should at this point have red dots next to all your tracks, indicating there are pending changes to be written back to the files. Click the Save icon or File / Save to do just that.​

I think that should get you going to at least experiment accomplishing the two changes you want, with the tools you have and are likely familiar with. Do note though, that at least in the past (I've not experimented in the last few firmware drops), some parts of the Tesla MP interface made use of the physical file name (not just the TRACKTITLE tag), so not everything may operate the way you're expecting by just making those two tweaks. For whatever reason, Metadatics does not seem to have the ability to automate filename like tags, so you're a bit stuck there on the automation using this tool if it's what you also need to do. (FWIW amongst other things, my dBpoweramp procedure moves Album Artist to Track Artist in every track for use in my Tesla, and ensures file names always have disc number (for multi-album discs), track number, and track title, with all tracks stored in a unique folder named with the album name - album artist. There are multiple ways to skin the cat, that is just mine so more of the interface works the way I think it should.)

Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: George Jetson
2. Within Metadatics, you need to do this in at least three steps.
a. To change TRACKTITLE to be TRACKTITLE - TRACKARTIST:
- Select all your tracks in your temporary location
- On the menu, select Functions / Copy Tag to Tag
- On the popup submenu, specify:
-- Destination Tag: TRACKTITLE
-- Format String: {TRACKTITLE} - {TRACKARTIST}
-- Apply to Selected Files
-- Click OK. Your TRACKTITLE tags will be changed to have a dash and track artist after it. You'll see that for your tracks in the middle of the interface.​
Do note though, that at least in the past (I've not experimented in the last few firmware drops), some parts of the Tesla MP interface made use of the physical file name (not just the TRACKTITLE tag), so not everything may operate the way you're expecting by just making those two tweaks.
Good luck.

You Da Man...:cool:

I got it down to two steps.

I followed your "Copy Tag to Tag" instructions except I like "feat." instead of dashes.
I directly edited the "Track Artist" field on the left hand screen instead of the tag. When I hit "enter" it saved both the "Various Artists" edit and the new field definition for "Title".

It works great for true VA albums like Concert for George:
IMG_7630.jpg

Its a mixed bag for a solo artist and his collaborators like the Neil Young Greatest Hits album:
IMG_7634.jpg

I'll take the occasional "Neil Young feat. Neil Young" for the overall convenience and time savings.

Thanks again for saving me many tedious hours of cut and paste.

Reactions: BertL
FWIW, for those of us hanging-in there with an original MS :) I finally received the 2018.24.1 update on June 30. To-date, I've sadly had 3 unexpected occurrences where after parking, I came back to my MS and found it has switched from playing my USB track to the first favorite in my list -- coincidentally the highest numbered FM station out of my 3 favs. IDK if it may have rebooted itself while I was away or not. I've changed nothing else: Same USB stick without even removing it within my MS for weeks, and after the first failure last week, did the normal proactive things of a hard reboot and ensuring I got rid of my few (<12) Nav History items, but alas, 2018.24.1 seems far less stable with USB than the previous few firmware updates have been for me. Sigh.

I suspect you're reaping the benefits of the new faster processor. Congrats!

Thx

I just timed it "officially" today. 9 sec for 6k tracks and as importantly, I haven't seen a rescan (outside of me forcing the system) yet.

Big difference.

BTW: I am getting an occasional "static" sound when playing a track. I can eliminate the noise by stopping and restarting the track (it doesn't appear to be track specific).

Anyone else seeing that with new MCU?

BTW: I am getting an occasional "static" sound when playing a track. I can eliminate the noise by stopping and restarting the track (it doesn't appear to be track specific).

Anyone else seeing that with new MCU?

I have an MX with the Intel MCU and I have the same problem too. It used to happen fairly regularly (once or twice a day) until the June update (or thereabouts) now it only happens once a week.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Besides loading faster on mcu2 there has been no improvement with all the USB bugs. It still doesn’t start playback when I get in the car, plus it doesn’t know what album was last played. Occasionally if I open other doors first not drivers) it does resume playback. Frustrating. Obviously Tesla has no interest in fixing/improving USB playbacks.

[...] Frustrating. Obviously Tesla has no interest in fixing/improving USB playbacks.
unfortunately, true. We'll have to keep fantasizing what a working USB player could be like...
Or if only we had Spotify in N.America instead of the lame Slacker for streaming audio, maybe I wouldn't care about the buggy USB player...

I haven't contributed any new observations to this thread in a while because most of the old bugs from a couple years ago are still there, but at least they seem to have stabilized in the past several firmware updates. (currently on 2018.21.9). Meaning no new bugs, just all the same old ones, and no expectation that anyone at Tesla ever looks at any of the code for the media player. So I've learned to just expect that sometimes when I get in the car, the previously playing song won't be remembered, or the wrong (or no) audio source is selected, or that .m4a/AAC tracks will cause random loading errors and momentarily mute all in-car audible alert sounds, etc.

One problem that did go away several firmware versions ago was the random re-scanning of the entire USB stick for no reason (slow with a large music collection). I had NOT seen a single instance of random re-scan for many months, that problem seemed finally fixed a while ago...

... until today, it happened twice within a few hours in the same day, each after parking the car for a while and returning. Nothing else seems to have changed, so I don't know what triggered this sudden reoccurence of the rescans.... (same USB stick, no change in my music collection on the USB, no FW update for >1month, no recent change to any of the car's settings, etc)

btw, I haven't been following the Model 3 threads - just curious, are M3 owners having similar problems with their USB music player? - I wonder if it is based on the same code as Model S or did they rewrite and fix everything in the M3?

unfortunately, true. We'll have to keep fantasizing what a working USB player could be like...
Or if only we had Spotify in N.America instead of the lame Slacker for streaming audio, maybe I wouldn't care about the buggy USB player...

I haven't contributed any new observations to this thread in a while because most of the old bugs from a couple years ago are still there, but at least they seem to have stabilized in the past several firmware updates. (currently on 2018.21.9). Meaning no new bugs, just all the same old ones, and no expectation that anyone at Tesla ever looks at any of the code for the media player. So I've learned to just expect that sometimes when I get in the car, the previously playing song won't be remembered, or the wrong (or no) audio source is selected, or that .m4a/AAC tracks will cause random loading errors and momentarily mute all in-car audible alert sounds, etc.

One problem that did go away several firmware versions ago was the random re-scanning of the entire USB stick for no reason (slow with a large music collection). I had NOT seen a single instance of random re-scan for many months, that problem seemed finally fixed a while ago...

... until today, it happened twice within a few hours in the same day, each after parking the car for a while and returning. Nothing else seems to have changed, so I don't know what triggered this sudden reoccurence of the rescans.... (same USB stick, no change in my music collection on the USB, no FW update for >1month, no recent change to any of the car's settings, etc)

btw, I haven't been following the Model 3 threads - just curious, are M3 owners having similar problems with their USB music player? - I wonder if it is based on the same code as Model S or did they rewrite and fix everything in the M3?
Interesting you started having rescans again with 2018.21.9 with no other changes... It was pretty stable for me until 2018.24.1 came along on June 30 when my more frequent rescan problems restarted and like you, had changed nothing else. I agree Tesla is likely spending zero time on MS/MX MP, but I suspect (and have no evidence) that some of us end up with some of these problems because of errant MP interaction with other systems that Tesla's code isn't expecting. We did get the new Nav with (what was it?) 2018.21.9 or thereabouts, so that is one major code change running primarily in the CID where MP resides. Also we can't forget that Nav and AP do a bunch of stuff under-the-covers we never see (nav tiles being pulled down, traffic info, AP retrieving data and packaging some of it with other realtime vehicle data back up to send to the mother ship, checks for firmware updates and their occasional downloads, etc) that could from a software perspective set off some condition where MP then doesn't work as it should. If so, that's just sloppy code, but as I've said before, just non-sexy maintenance stuff that isn't fun to work on and does not get positive press because owners simply expect problems to not happen in the first place. ;)

Like you, I don't follow M3 threads, but I have this sneaking suspicion Tesla is reusing some code at some level, but not all. E.g. M3 has a somewhat different interface; no AM, FM came to M3 months after the first M3 was delivered indicating they rewrote it in some major way, and IDK where USB fits in that equation... M3 is also running on a different HW platform with just the single display, so a lot depends how Tesla has chosen to build/maintain their code and how it then interfaces back to HW-unique platforms.

I have a bad sneaking suspicion that MS and even MX owners may be stuck in the slow lane like "Classic MS" owners were once AP became more the norm with newer MS, and we saw more firmware updates than they did back in the day. Maybe we'll see some positive improvement if the long-rumored MS model refresh were to occur, it's hard to say. It's just sad Elon has never followed-through on his commitments to MS/MX owners that funded part of Tesla's ability to get M3 out the door... e.g. where is the new UI promised back in late 2016, let alone just fixing pervasive bugs many of us have reported over the years. (I used to expect that if there were firmware bugs in other brand vehicles, it was rare they would get fixed in the same MY unless I was really lucky, but I found most bugs had been squashed in subsequent models I owned. Tesla of course has the benefit of being able to send updates anytime to the entire fleet at minimal cost, so owner expectations is that they should, even when Tesla may have elected to begin stabilization of certain parts of their code base -- when it all would take is a relatively cheap handful of programmers sitting behind desks whose mission was to find bugs, fix them, and then if they get all that done, to create little improvements all in the name of improving customer sat & loyalty. I wouldn't even get mad when Easter eggs were delivered in that case. Ahhh, sadly, I just realized I have been dreaming ...but it was a pleasant thought, wasn't it? :))

My best.

when it all would take is a relatively cheap handful of programmers sitting behind desks whose mission was to find bugs, fix them, and then if they get all that done, to create little improvements all in the name of improving customer sat & loyalty.
Any Twitter user interesting in sending this as a tweet to EM? Might keep him from spending time on other non appropriate tweets.;)

Interesting you started having rescans again with 2018.21.9 with no other changes... It was pretty stable for me until 2018.24.1 came along on June 30 when my more frequent rescan problems restarted and like you, had changed nothing else. I agree Tesla is likely spending zero time on MS/MX MP, but I suspect (and have no evidence) that some of us end up with some of these problems because of errant MP interaction with other systems that Tesla's code isn't expecting. We did get the new Nav with (what was it?) 2018.21.9 or thereabouts, so that is one major code change running primarily in the CID where MP resides. Also we can't forget that Nav and AP do a bunch of stuff under-the-covers we never see (nav tiles being pulled down, traffic info, AP retrieving data and packaging some of it with other realtime vehicle data back up to send to the mother ship, checks for firmware updates and their occasional downloads, etc) that could from a software perspective set off some condition where MP then doesn't work as it should. If so, that's just sloppy code, but as I've said before, just non-sexy maintenance stuff that isn't fun to work on and does not get positive press because owners simply expect problems to not happen in the first place. ;) [...]
I agree with your idea that these bugs are likely due to "errant MP interaction with other systems that Tesla's code isn't expecting...". I did get the new nav a month or so ago as well as the ever-so-slightly faster browser, but as mentioned things with the USB have been stable for a while before than and in the month or so since, until yesterday, without any other obvious changes in usage or settings.

Further observation: this morning when I got in the car, the whole MP player seemed to be acting weird. I couldn't stream Slacker (loading errors - but it wasn't the internet connection because I could see I still had several bars LTE and load maps), and also no matter which USB song track I picked they ALL encountered Loading Errors (note that months ago I re-encoded my entire USB library to MP3 with dBpoweramp as per your suggestion which for months until today got rid of all the USB Loading Errors). I rebooted the CID and things returned to normal. Later in the day the same problem of streaming&USB loading errors happened again. So, reboot again. Very strange... again, things had been very stable recently until yesterday.

I'd settle for a summer intern being given the code and tasked to clean things up. Couldn't possibly get worse, right?

Any Twitter user interesting in sending this as a tweet to EM? Might keep him from spending time on other non appropriate tweets.;)

yeah I'm beginning to think the only way to get EM's attention is to tweet something negative to him ;)

Unfortunately, all the things you describe sound familiar to me as a Model 3 owner.

Still, I am very happy to be able to load so much music into the car, have a giant touch screen to select it, and an awesome sound system to play it.

It would be nice to get some of those bugs fixed, but I am still thinking I like this system better than anything else I could get.

It seems to me that my M3 re-scans the flash every time I start the car.
But I have a USB 3.1 flash and it gets through the thousands of tracks relatively quickly. Usually under 10 seconds I think.
I would say about 1% of the files I put on there wouldn't play with "loading error", so I have removed those and have them on a separate test flash drive I can put in the car in the future if we get media player update, so I can test if it fixes playback for any of those tracks.
Note, since I didn't want to miss out on that music, I loaded them into audacity, and re-encoded them again, and the re-encoded copies play without errors.
There was probably a slight reduction in the audio quality by re-encoding but at least I have copies that will play now.

Last edited: