Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- this is not strictly USB player, but a new annoying media player behaviour I've noticed in 2019.12.1.1 (wasn't there in 2018.50.6 or any prior version): the audio player volume is automatically reduced to around 2 any time you change gears, e.g. P->R, R->D, D->N, whatever gear, except when you put it in Park. ??? What possible reason would be there for this annoying new unannounced "feature"?

update to my own observation above about shifting gears causing the audio player volume to change unexpectedly in 2019.12.1.1 - I've now discovered that launching an Atari easter egg game will later cause this audio problem when driving. Finally proof that Tesla spending time coding easter eggs is having a negative effect on the media player! :mad:
Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and aesculus
update to my own observation above about shifting gears causing the audio player volume to change unexpectedly in 2019.12.1.1 - I've now discovered that launching an Atari easter egg game will later cause this audio problem when driving. Finally proof that Tesla spending time coding easter eggs is having a negative effect on the media player! :mad:
Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!
I was curious about your volume change observation and found that it does not occur on my car. Perhaps it happens only on AP cars?

I was curious about your volume change observation and found that it does not occur on my car. Perhaps it happens only on AP cars?
Interesting (though not surprising if there's inconsistency in behaviour across different cars, we've seen plenty of that). Did you first try playing an easter egg game, e.g. Breakout?

my car is AP1 / MCU1. to reproduce the problem after a reboot, I launched Atari games, played a few seconds of Breakout, then exited after hearing some game sounds. After that, while playing Slacker audio and after shifting the car out of Park, each shift to D/N/R caused audio volume to change. I readjusted volume between shifts to make sure I could hear the difference. Problem also occured while playing USB audio or the radio (presumably also Tunein, I did not try that specifically). Reboot fixes it, until next time easter egg game is played.

Note: I've tried reproducing this a handful of times now and the volume level it changes to varies, it's not always 4 (or 2) - but it definitely changes to one specific level. Actually it gets stranger - a couple times I did this, the Slacker audio stopped playing, as if muted - the progress bar still moving and pause button still visible as if playing - but no sound. I had to change audio source e.g. to radio then back to Slacker to make the sound resume.

bottom line there's definitely some strange bug affecting audio playback if you first launch easter egg Breakout.

Interesting (though not surprising if there's inconsistency in behaviour across different cars, we've seen plenty of that). Did you first try playing an easter egg game, e.g. Breakout?

my car is AP1 / MCU1. to reproduce the problem after a reboot, I launched Atari games, played a few seconds of Breakout, then exited after hearing some game sounds. After that, while playing Slacker audio and after shifting the car out of Park, each shift to D/N/R caused audio volume to change. I readjusted volume between shifts to make sure I could hear the difference. Problem also occured while playing USB audio or the radio (presumably also Tunein, I did not try that specifically). Reboot fixes it, until next time easter egg game is played.

Note: I've tried reproducing this a handful of times now and the volume level it changes to varies, it's not always 4 (or 2) - but it definitely changes to one specific level. Actually it gets stranger - a couple times I did this, the Slacker audio stopped playing, as if muted - the progress bar still moving and pause button still visible as if playing - but no sound. I had to change audio source e.g. to radio then back to Slacker to make the sound resume.

bottom line there's definitely some strange bug affecting audio playback if you first launch easter egg Breakout.
No, I've never fussed with any of the games. So, perhaps that is the cause of the bug, as you suggest.

I didn't think they could make it WORSE! This last update works identically on both my Model S and Model 3. After reading here I now see that the actual MP3's in a folder list (finally) in track number order. Curiously, the "track number" field displays blank, while from the artist view (as always) it shows the actual track number. Because it doesn't display the track numbers in the Folder view I didn't realize that they had fixed this.

But the BIG problem now is that I have no idea how it is sorting the foldernames themselves. For instance, in my flashdrive, I have subfolders "Classical" and "Pop". Inside each of those folders I have separate folders with the artist name; inside those folders are the album titles; and in those leaf folders are the actual mp3's. That last folder now displays properly.

But the higher level folders display in no recognizable order. With hundreds of artist folders, now there is no way to find or get to a particular artist. They used to be in alphabetical order. Any ideas?

I'll note that the update list says nothing about any change to the flashdrive music access. Also, I looked at the Atari in the Model S. I checked the Model 3 immediately prior to the update and it worked as always. Immediately after this last update, I checked the Model 3 again and it is now broken identically to the Model S.

I remain furious at Tesla about this total stupidity. I would not pass my embedded programming students with this interface. I thought about phoning them but I know that will prove fruitless. Is there any way to roll the car back to the previous software version? I care not about Atari but would like to be able to find my music!

I didn't think they could make it WORSE! This last update works identically on both my Model S and Model 3. After reading here I now see that the actual MP3's in a folder list (finally) in track number order. Curiously, the "track number" field displays blank, while from the artist view (as always) it shows the actual track number. Because it doesn't display the track numbers in the Folder view I didn't realize that they had fixed this.

But the BIG problem now is that I have no idea how it is sorting the foldernames themselves. For instance, in my flashdrive, I have subfolders "Classical" and "Pop". Inside each of those folders I have separate folders with the artist name; inside those folders are the album titles; and in those leaf folders are the actual mp3's. That last folder now displays properly.

But the higher level folders display in no recognizable order. With hundreds of artist folders, now there is no way to find or get to a particular artist. They used to be in alphabetical order. Any ideas?

I'll note that the update list says nothing about any change to the flashdrive music access. Also, I looked at the Atari in the Model S. I checked the Model 3 immediately prior to the update and it worked as always. Immediately after this last update, I checked the Model 3 again and it is now broken identically to the Model S.

I remain furious at Tesla about this total stupidity. I would not pass my embedded programming students with this interface. I thought about phoning them but I know that will prove fruitless. Is there any way to roll the car back to the previous software version? I care not about Atari but would like to be able to find my music!

I just emailed Tesla about this new bug, please everyone inundate them with emails about this. I’m glad they fixed the song order but now I can’t even find the artist I want. So net net, it’s even worse.

I suspect the folder order is now modified date, but not sure.

[email protected]

I had emailed both [email protected] and [email protected] about this; never received a human response. However, this morning I received update 2019.16.11 for the Model S (nothing yet for the Model 3). This put the folders back in alphabetical order, fixing the new bug. The track number field in the Folder View is still blank. Nothing in the Release Notes mentions any of this. But at least we now have an incremental improvement!

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I had emailed both [email protected] and [email protected] about this; never received a human response. However, this morning I received update 2019.16.11 for the Model S (nothing yet for the Model 3). This put the folders back in alphabetical order, fixing the new bug. The track number field in the Folder View is still blank. Nothing in the Release Notes mentions any of this. But at least we now have an incremental improvement!
Bug fixes have never been in release notes.

I will give the below a try when I have some time

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the prompt response to my email, I've had one of my engineers review your case with me along with the responses you've provided and wanted to get in touch with you and ask if you could reformat the drive again to FAT 32 and then try accessing the folder again. We've found in some cases similar to what you're experiencing where doing this helps fix the behavior you're describing.

If you are using Windows, please follow the instructions below to set up your USB Flash Drive for Dashcam storage.
  1. Plug your USB flash drive in to your Windows Machine
  2. Go to start and search for “Windows Explorer” and open it.
  3. Click on Computer
  4. Right Click on the USB Device to Format. Select “Format” from the menu.
  5. Select “FAT32” as File System.
  6. Enter a Volume Label of your choice
  7. Click “Quick Format”
  8. Hit “Start” to begin formatting the device.
  9. Once formatted, create a new folder titled “TeslaCam”
Caution: This will erase all data from the device, please make sure to back up any files that you may need from the device prior to following these steps.

You can verify that you have successfully formatted the drive correctly by plugging the USB drive into one of the two front USB ports. When formatted correctly, a camera icon with a red circle will display on the top right of your center display.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

If you are using a MAC computer, please follow the instructions below to set up your USB Flash Drive for Dashcam storage.
  1. In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.
  2. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to format.
  3. Click the Erase button.
  4. Click the Scheme pop-up menu, then choose Master Boot Record.
  5. Click the Format pop-up menu, then select ‘MS-DOS (FAT)’.
  6. Enter a name for the volume of your choice, up to 11 characters.
  7. Click Erase, then click Done.
  8. Once formatted, create a new folder titled “TeslaCam”

Caution: This will erase all data from the device, please make sure to back up any files that you may need from the device prior to following these steps.

You can verify that you have successfully formatted the drive correctly by plugging the USB drive into one of the two front USB ports. When formatted correctly, a camera icon with a red circle will display on the top right of your center display.

Please let us know how everything goes, we appreciate your continued cooperation and partnership with us in helping you get this concern squared away.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the prompt response to my email, I've had one of my engineers review your case with me along with the responses you've provided and wanted to get in touch with you
Wait...

You had someone from Tesla actually respond to your Media Center issue? Don't let them escape without at least pointing them to one of @BertL recent summary posts on our overall issues within this thread.

I will give the below a try when I have some time

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the prompt response to my email, I've had one of my engineers review your case with me along with the responses you've provided and wanted to get in touch with you

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
[...]
Please let us know how everything goes, we appreciate your continued cooperation and partnership with us in helping you get this concern squared away.

Wait...

You had someone from Tesla actually respond to your Media Center issue? Don't let them escape without at least pointing them to one of @BertL recent summary posts on our overall issues within this thread.

Yes, unbelievable that you got an actual response even thought it’s a lame how-to-format-a-USB-stick response.

Over the past 3 years I’ve emailed Tesla about several Media Player bugs and not once did I ever get even a canned auto-reply.

Don’t let this guy get away.

Out-of-the-Blue "Loading Error" Hits Again

Environment: Approx 7K 100% MP3 VBR files with highly curated metadata, for the most part playing happily by Genre or Songs on random nearly all the time.

Symptoms & Resolution: Yesterday while driving, as the next tune should have started playing, there was SILENCE. I looked over at MP on the CID, and Album Art for the next track was greyed-out with a dark circular arrow and the words "Loading Error". I simply touched the Loading Error icon and the (previously greyed-out) track started playing as it should have on it's own.

NOTE: In the past before I moved to 100% MP3 VBR files, touching this error icon would not always resolve the situation. I found at least once that high bitrates I used which MP wasn't expecting, may have caused the issue; Re-encoding the same track changing nothing else except with lower bitrates worked. In this situation however, since I didn't change anything with the track and got it to play, it's clear the failure is rather MP logic failing in some situation beyond an owners control.​

This isn't a super big deal in the scheme of things, but it's clear the occasional Loading Error bug that appeared more prevalent to me in the past -- and not seen by me for some months -- is still possible with 2019.12.11. I'm simply posting here to make everyone aware the bug still exists and for those that don't try to read through 95 pages of this thread, a couple easy ways to proceed if it happens to you one day. ;)

I have a weird data point to add to Folder sorting in 2019.12.1.1:

I found that all of my folders of seventy minutes or less appear to sort correctly when I have put numbers in front of the track and file names (and even when I haven't adjusted the track and file names). However, my one file of three plus hours, with 37 tracks, does not sort correctly, nor can I see any pattern to the sorting order — it isn't alphabetical. This file sorted fine on 2018.50.6, so this is new. Since I don't know how it is sorting that long folder, I don't know how to fix it, although breaking it up into three folders might work.

Go figure.
2019.16.2 apparently fixes the track sort order in folder view. All my folders sort correctly, even the long one that didn't in 2019.12.1.1.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and BertL
Since my albums are each in a separate folder, the order should be the same in album view and track view and it is.
This may not have been a good test. Looking over my USB stick on the computer it appears that all the albums/folders I had tested had a numeric track order number as a unique part of the name. So it may be that they are sorted by alpha. This would mean that you would have to have all of your track names somehow pretended/addended with a track order alpha sequence. When I rip mine with DBPowerAmp it appears to do just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden