Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this in the release notes someone posted from 2.40.21 on a Model X:
View attachment 197824

Is that new? I thought one of the big complaints was that the search didn't search USB.
For all we know, maybe it does. But, it searches streaming sources first. And once it finds what you are looking for there, it stops. So, it is possible (but unknown) that it searches USB, but never gets that far. It really should search USB first!!!!!! If I've got a track, I don't want to listen to the crap slacker serves up.

Repeating only because this kind of information tends to get lost in long threads -- for my part I originally declared victory after turning off energy saving mode... then recanted and declared failure a day or two later after it didn't fix the problem after all. A little guesswork: more than one factor is at work, and these include both number of tracks and use of energy-saving. So someone with very few tracks might never see a problem, someone with more tracks might see a stable (well, as stable as 8.0 MP ever gets) system with energy saving disabled but not enabled, and someone with even more tracks (me) might see it less bad but still not good enough to call "usable" with energy saving disabled. For reference, I have just short of 25,000 tracks which I think puts me in maybe the upper decile of people who have reported their library size.
I keep asking this, but can anyone else confirm the rough 10k track limit that triggers excessive scan times? I am sitting on two volumes of 5k and 8k, but beyond the initial 45min scan after v8 loaded and a couple "quick scans" that took 5min or less, I have had USB audio ready and available immediately after entering the car every time. Also, very important here, I use a genuine solid state disk (EVO 840) as storage medium so there may be benefits there that are hiding a problem from me if I were to use straight up USB sticks.

Makes sense. I ripped everything to FLAC using Mac software called Max since iTunes doesn't do FLAC and tesla doesn't do ALAC. Max automatically reduces art to, I believe, 300x300 jpeg.

Maybe difference between mine working and yours not working is file size????

Frustrating that tesla doesn't publish, but we have great detectives in this club, plus lots of AMAZING hackers who will gladly write software to "fix" everyone's album art and tags to work with 8.0.

OK now who is going to take the bait and be amazing?!?!?
But is it raw picture file size and/or file dimension ### x ### resolution?

So the track title has the track number and/or the filename has the track number?
Filename. If you add disc# with that workaround, it's how you can ensure multi-disc sets play in the proper order instead of all the 1's, then all the 2's, etc. The file naming trick has worked from 6.2 when I started in this game (and both are options I use in TeslaTunes to auto rename tracks from the tag data as my USB a stick is built.)

Leave the track title tag alone so it displays properly.

I keep asking this, but can anyone else confirm the rough 10k track limit that triggers excessive scan times? I am sitting on two volumes of 5k and 8k, but beyond the initial 45min scan after v8 loaded and a couple "quick scans" that took 5min or less, I have had USB audio ready and available immediately after entering the car every time. Also, very important here, I use a genuine solid state disk (EVO 840) as storage medium so there may be benefits there that are hiding a problem from me if I were to use straight up USB sticks.
My 6100 track stick was only 80% complete at the 2-hour mark before I pulled the plug on it. A 1100 track subset on another stick takes 3 minutes. I have same issues on 3 different sticks from 3 different mfgrs (San Disk, Patriot, PNY). All sticks are rated at USB 3.0 (and yes, I know MS is onky 2.0).

Just want to tie in something I saw in the Firmware thread into here (and it was mentioned a page or so back).

I have also noticed that the randomness of shuffle is even worse than in previous versions.

From my observations, whenever the shuffle/repeat settings are forgotten, the *same* seed for shuffle is used to generate the random "playlist" from the volume of songs. As soon as the currently playing song finishes, the non-random shuffle starts back up with the exact same progression of songs. I have verified (though I can't recall the track names anymore, pretty sure the Intro to a Muse album was one of them) that the same songs, in the same order, are played after re-enabling shuffle. If I scroll, such that it is, to a new song to play and *then* re-enable shuffle I get a new but equally predictable (from re-enable to re-enable) set of songs.

The interval in which shuffle falls off seems to vary depending on what else is going on with the car. Plugged in overnight I have almost always had to re-enable (since getting 8.0). Parked outside at work seems to have me at about 50/50 needing to re-enable.

Stats: Car outfitted as described in my signature
Power saving: On
Always connected: On
USB: Only one in use currently; either 32 or 64GB, probably FAT32; more than 1000 but less than 3000 songs; mix of file types, sizes, tagging depending on how long it has been in my collection

I'll try and get more details about my USB device tonight, but I've had the two I swap between in the car since delivery (Red Pill and Blue Pill, volume names Red and Blue respectively).

For all we know, maybe it does. But, it searches streaming sources first. And once it finds what you are looking for there, it stops. So, it is possible (but unknown) that it searches USB, but never gets that far. It really should search USB first!!!!!! If I've got a track, I don't want to listen to the crap slacker serves up.

I don't think we know that yet, since the Model S 8.0 notes didn't mention searching the USB, while the new notes in 2.40.21, at least for Model X, do mention the searching of USB maybe things are much better in this version. (But there are only 13 cars listed in ev-fw with this version so far.)

I'm going to try and play with this tonight. Off hand, I'm thinking 150x150, 300x300,600x600,1200x1200, 1800x1800, and 3000x3000 to start.
If you or someone else does not get to it first, when I eventually get my MS back (assuming I get no info on this from my reported service invoice problem re 8.0 album art), I can work on it maybe early next week depending how Jury Duty goes or not timing-wise...

My plan was to first sit in my MS and find a series of tracks where album art does and does not work, then come back to my Mac and analyze each as to which are jpg vs png, size, and if there are multiples. I may get to some end result faster that way, maybe not.

I was scanning through macOS tools I have this morning, investigating how to easily rebuild the same tracks with only key variants, and had sorta decided if a I had to, I would initially
  • Create a 150x150 and 300x300 of both a jpg and png -- IMHO need to first work out if both file formats are supported... those small sizes work on nearly every device, so I doubt Tesla would not support the small sizes...
  • Then, create art size variations in increments of 100 starting at 500 up to 1500. ONe could keep going up, but IMHO not many people, including myself are generally creating art up in the 3000x3000 realm because of the bloat that would cause in the track size. (Of course, compression could be another challenge, but I was not going to start with that.)
  • Other thing is to validate if tracks with multiple "front cover art" (IIRC, the tag name is something like that, not just "album art" because of all the different album art variants ID3 allows.
BTW, be careful, depending upon the tool used, some take a very simplified approach to new art and just add it in front of what may already there, creating dupes or multiples -- and some of the players and tag editors are not obvious if multiple art exists or not...

...but I welcome any observations from anyone, of course! Just sad owners have to do the testing, isn't it, when a little page in a future owners manual providing Media Player specs like every other mfgr does in their manual would resolve an awful lot for us. ;)

If you or someone else does not get to it first, when I eventually get my MS back (assuming I get no info on this from my reported service invoice problem re 8.0 album art), I can work on it maybe early next week depending how Jury Duty goes or not timing-wise...

My plan was to first sit in my MS and find a series of tracks where album art does and does not work, then come back to my Mac and analyze each as to which are jpg vs png, size, and if there are multiples. I may get to some end result faster that way, maybe not.

I was scanning through macOS tools I have this morning, investigating how to easily rebuild the same tracks with only key variants, and had sorta decided if a I had to, I would initially
  • Create a 150x150 and 300x300 of both a jpg and png -- IMHO need to first work out if both file formats are supported... those small sizes work on nearly every device, so I doubt Tesla would not support the small sizes...
  • Then, create art size variations in increments of 100 starting at 500 up to 1500. ONe could keep going up, but IMHO not many people, including myself are generally creating art up in the 3000x3000 realm because of the bloat that would cause in the track size. (Of course, compression could be another challenge, but I was not going to start with that.)
  • Other thing is to validate if tracks with multiple "front cover art" (IIRC, the tag name is something like that, not just "album art" because of all the different album art variants ID3 allows.
BTW, be careful, depending upon the tool used, some take a very simplified approach to new art and just add it in front of what may already there, creating dupes or multiples -- and some of the players and tag editors are not obvious if multiple art exists or not...

...but I welcome any observations from anyone, of course! Just sad owners have to do the testing, isn't it, when a little page in a future owners manual providing Media Player specs like every other mfgr does in their manual would resolve an awful lot for us. ;)

*Exactly*, we wouldn't even have to test this is there was a single line blurb in the release notes....

*Exactly*, we wouldn't even have to test this is there was a single line blurb in the release notes....
Yeah, I agree. I have had at least a few other instances of confusion over something in which better documentation, either in the owner's manual or in release notes, could have cleared up confusion.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that the USB capability of the audio player is the least well explained feature of the car that I have encountered, at least in the sense of what a user might want to know. It does not provide accurate or complete information on what sort of files can be read, how to organize your files, where album art comes from, etc. And now this new question of album art file size.
Ah, well, another "first world problem," I suppose.

Here is a datapoint: 1TB platter USB hard drive FAT32 format with about 400gb flac files (14000 songs) takes 15 mins or so to load. I'm getting out of my car now with power saving mode OFF...when I get back I'll report if the drive is still ready to go.

OK, I just checked again and WAV do, in fact, play. However, the files don't show up when you browse by artist or album - you have to go through folders to select the files. I can't say that this is new to 8.0 because I didn't test this on the previous firmware version.