Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past weekend, I spent a couple hours building nearly 3 dozen test tracks to hopefully figure out more precisely where Album Art is broken for me. As soon as I get my MS back, I'll post back what Tesla officially says, as well as results of my latest tests.

@BertL What are you using for tagging? I think you mentioned a Mac in the thread about embedded USB album art. I've posted good results with MediaMonkey for Windows in that thread. The most typical sizing that I've seen is 500 x 500 pixels, but YMMV,

For music MP3Tag is pretty popular. Both Mac and Windows

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It can also add cover art to files. Since my collection is all based on folder.jpg files I will have to run them through this to add the embedded album art.

In the mean time I am just idling on 7.1 until I see some direction from Tesla on all the V8 issues. AP is the least used feature of my car so V8 is a downgrade in almost every respect for me.

Reactions: supratachophobia
For music MP3Tag is pretty popular. Both Mac and Windows

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It can also add cover art to files. Since my collection is all based on folder.jpg files I will have to run them through this to add the embedded album art.

In the mean time I am just idling on 7.1 until I see some direction from Tesla on all the V8 issues. AP is the least used feature of my car so V8 is a downgrade in almost every respect for me.
I use the same. It's a solid program.

@BertL What are you using for tagging? I think you mentioned a Mac in the thread about embedded USB album art. I've posted good results with MediaMonkey for Windows in that thread. The most typical sizing that I've seen is 500 x 500 pixels, but YMMV,
Thx. If someone is a macOS-kinda guy, MediaMonkey isn't an option as it's Windows-only.
  • I've used iTunes as my primary tagging tool since it's availability in Windows around 2003 when I first started ripping my CD collection. It moved with me to my Mac-only home environment several years ago and as my primary player, remains the easiest way for me to make small number of tweaks to tag data. While my Album Art size is all over the map because of history, recent default cover art for albums I've purchased from iTunes has come with the tracks as 1400x1400 (IIRC, generally jpg).
    • Note iTunes allows you to scroll through Album Art, but like most players, only displays the first one. IMHO, it's (unfortunately) easy to end-up with multiple versions in a track, hence why I have a detailed ID3 tagging app to occasionally clean-up my library.
  • dBpoweramp contains tagging tools to help with the few new CDs I rip (including finding album art), and as I slowly RE-rip my old CD collection into lossless format
  • My go-to detailed macOS ID3 tagging tool is presently Metadatics. Unlike some others, it's available from the macOS App Store so I don't have to worry with installation or updates; works as a "right-click tool" with Finder and as a standalone app; and it can manage tracks with multiple album art AND all the many allowable "imbedded image extensions" later ID3 specs allow (that most other ID3 taggers don't). It includes a basic ability to find album cover art via Amazon and Google, and IIRC generally locates a max 500x500 size cover if it finds one -- which is acceptable, but if I can find something of higher resolution when I'm poking around in a track or album, I try to do that.

• Informative
Sounds like a PITA. OR - Tesla could just fix the damn software...no?!?
Why? Only troglodytes (like me) use primitive things like USB. Tesla is about the future and that's streaming and Bluetooth. ;)

[And here I was fuming because Tesla couldn't be bothered to include 3.5 mm aux input jack so that I could use my MP3 player for audio books and I had to go with a kludgy FM transmitter instead. Now they break the USB support. They clearly don't want people like me as customers!]

Why? Only troglodytes (like me) use primitive things like USB. Tesla is about the future and that's streaming and Bluetooth. ;)
Presumably that's tongue-in-cheek but I'll bite anyway. Streaming doesn't solve the same set of problems -- in addition to people who care about fidelity, there's the problem of what if the track I want to play simply isn't available on any streaming service. As for BT, I generally feel a lot more confident manipulating my big CID (at least, when the UI hasn't been buggered up by crazed lemurs who've been given code commit access) than I do my little phone.

I made a quick video that outlines some of the features I think should be included in the Tesla Media App and comments on some of the bugs in v8. The feature requests were based on the Empeg player software that I showcase in the video. I used an Empeg for 12 years, before the Tesla and I found a lot of it's functions to be invaluable when listening to MP3 audio in the car.

Reactions: Boatguy
But seriously, I didn't get the "studio sound" option to listen to crappy FM, XM or 3G streaming. I want MY versions of the music.

And I agree on BluRay as well. If I am going to burn 2 hours watching a movie, it better be good quality. Not streaming crap.

I agree as well. I'm one of apparently dozens of folks who still have Netflix DVD (BluRay) send out. I will say, however, that the in-house Netflix SuperHD 5.1 whatever shows actually do look quite stunning (and sound nice as well, just watch the intro to House of Cards :D ).

The benefit of BluRay fidelity (and reliability) is almost sunk by the unskippable content at the beginning and the presumptive admonishments of piracy activity.

At least with DVD players most had the "Stop stop play" workaround for previews, or even better, hitting menu didn't come up with "this action is not permitted"

Boils my blood, I tell ya!

On topic, another bug I've found with the USB playback:

When the car has been off for a while (for some definition of a while) I cannot re-enable shuffle and repeat from the track that is playing on entry. I have to go into the song list, select another song, and then from the "Now playing" area I will have the icons for shuffle and repeat.

Not sure if this has something to do with re-scan times or not.

I agree as well. I'm one of apparently dozens of folks who still have Netflix DVD (BluRay) send out. I will say, however, that the in-house Netflix SuperHD 5.1 whatever shows actually do look quite stunning (and sound nice as well, just watch the intro to House of Cards :D ).

The benefit of BluRay fidelity (and reliability) is almost sunk by the unskippable content at the beginning and the presumptive admonishments of piracy activity.

At least with DVD players most had the "Stop stop play" workaround for previews, or even better, hitting menu didn't come up with "this action is not permitted"

Boils my blood, I tell ya!

On topic, another bug I've found with the USB playback:

When the car has been off for a while (for some definition of a while) I cannot re-enable shuffle and repeat from the track that is playing on entry. I have to go into the song list, select another song, and then from the "Now playing" area I will have the icons for shuffle and repeat.

Not sure if this has something to do with re-scan times or not.
Anydvd will strip out that crap for you, just fyi.

Reworked my file structure (90GB) to only go down 3 levels with sub-folders nested underneath....loaded within a minute and at least I can see things on one page.

However, have embedded PDF within albums & have run music tag editor to no avail. System still loads albums improperly stripping songs off the album and placing in another album (Sinatra music in particular) despite having them organized in a proper folder with PDF album art. Thus, Tesla is still using an outside source to determine where songs should go....how stupid is that?

Do the programmers even listen to music? As I noted earlier, XM is far worse and so difficult to traverse the entire channel list. You need to create favorites at certain numbers to make it easier to get to a desired chanel vs. hitting forward/back key 100 times. Why they don't have a full channel list with quick select to numbers 1-25, 26-50, etc. is beyond me plus since they are accessing satellite it would be very easy to list station name, song player and artist as separate queries and listed in a manner where you could see the entire XM channel list by scrolling. BMW has done that for years...just copy their approach.

Finally, if I go in by folder some albums load properly; others, go 1, 10, 11, 2, etc.. Have used music tag editor to no avail/fix.

Spend a lot of time for nothing....What a mess.....

I do not believe it is or ever was going to outside source for album contents. Are the songs that are being stripped off ones with guest artists? Often these are tagged as "frank Sinatra featuring...." and those are always put in separate album unless you edit the album artist tag.

Art will not be recognized unless it is tagged to the track and yet to be nailed down format. We do know 300x300 jpg does work.

Re using tag editor, you need to know exactly what tags to edit, and track sequence needs to be 01, 02 vs 1, 2

However, have embedded PDF within albums & have run music tag editor to no avail. System still loads albums improperly stripping songs off the album and placing in another album (Sinatra music in particular) despite having them organized in a proper folder with PDF album art. Thus, Tesla is still using an outside source to determine where songs should go....how stupid is that?
I'd double check your albums. I've sometime seen album names in the first track slightly different than the rest. That would effectively put it in a different album. Having music in the proper folder makes no difference unless you want to play by folder. Even then it ignores track information and play in alphabetic order. Twice you mention PDF but yet first time I've heard PDF ever mention in album art for ID3 tags.