Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing that's true in these two paragraphs is:
"Is the shuffle function in Tesla perfect? Of course not."

Sorry, but no. The random shuffle algorithm was solved decades ago....

I appreciate your optimistic POV. I started with a similar mindset when I first took delivery, giving the startup every benefit of the doubt...

Guys, and @supratachophobia, I was just being sarcastic!

I took this as sarcasm? Basically the exact same stuff as is said all the time about AP?...

Thank you!

Guys, and @supratachophobia, I was just being sarcastic!
Whoosh! Completely missed that, sorry. :eek:

(For myself, I've learned to add emoticons when being funny or sarcastic in written posts, as the meaning often doesn't translate well. I guess you must have been quoting someone else's post out of context and substituted "shuffle" for "AP", but if you didn't recognize the quote, as I didn't, it would not be immediately obvious that it was a joke. Thanks for explaining, and glad to find out you weren't serious. ;))

Next time, a simple emoticon such as ;) works well to ensure people get where you're coming from. With some of the "xxxx can do no wrong" extremists I suspect most of us have heard from or tried to interact with in various threads, it can otherwise be hard to tell on sensitive topics! Peace.

Whoosh! Completely missed that, sorry. :eek:

(For myself, I've learned to add emoticons when being funny or sarcastic in written posts, as the meaning often doesn't translate well. I guess you must have been quoting someone else's post out of context and substituted "shuffle" for "AP", but if you didn't recognize the quote, as I didn't, it would not be immediately obvious that it was a joke. Thanks for explaining, and glad to find out you weren't serious. ;))

Absolutely! You guys are right 100%. Normally I do, but this was an early morning half awake post, and I forgot somehow.

Reactions: msnow
an update on my report of a sudden increase in frequency of random USB "Loading errors" starting sometime after one of the recent software updates (likely starting with 17.24.28, though I'm now on 17.26.76 and the problem perhaps occurs more frequently). In the previous ~1.5yrs or so I don’t recall seeing any loading errors on USB, but now they're so frequent that USB playback is basically useless for me.

I've done some experimentation to gather my observations before emailing service ([email protected]) - in hopes of getting a more helpful response than a suggestion my USB flash device is defective...

I tested several different USB flash sticks of various sizes (2GB~64GB) and various brands, with different assortments of music stored on them. The problem occurs across all the devices I've tested so I don't think it's due to a faulty device, unless I'm just really unlucky. I can reproduce the errors on a 64GB flash nearly full of music, and also on a 2GB flash with only a couple dozen music files, so the problem isn't related to total music collection size on the USB. It doesn't seem that individual files are corrupted and therefore causing the errors, because if/when a loading error occurs on a song, I can always play that same song successfully if I try playing it at another time. All the songs in my collection have embedded artwork which displays correctly in the Tesla media player, so I don't think that's a trigger.

But I'm now thinking there is correlation between music file format and the loading errors.

My music collection consists of a mix of .mp3 and .m4a (compressed AAC, non-DRM) files, perhaps roughly 50/50 mix. I prepared several USB flash devices, each with two folders, one containing only mp3 files and the other containing only m4a files. Some devices were loaded with only a dozen songs, others with thousands of songs. In the media player, I select one of the folders on the USB and then shuffle play the songs in that folder, so that I'm either playing just mp3 or just m4a songs. I also rebooted the CID between tests.

While playing a folder of m4a songs, I can easily reproduce the loading errors, usually within the first few songs played back - it doesn’t matter on which USB device. But while playing a folder of mp3 files, (so far) I've not yet been able to reproduce the problem - even though the mp3 folder is on a same USB device as m4a files (so I can again rule out a faulty device). This might explain why some people here aren’t seeing these loading errors - perhaps those people are not playing any aac/m4a files?

I can't say with 100% confidence right now that mp3 file will never cause a loading error, but in my small sampling so far there's definitely a difference between mp3 and aac/m4a file behaviour. Next test I will just leave the USB on mp3 playback and observe over the next couple days of actual driving to verify the problem doesn't exist for mp3 only.

Can anyone else who is seeing an increase in USB loading errors recently confirm if they see any correlation between file format and loading errors?

as I mentioned, the USB player used to work perfectly fine in my MS, with either file type, until very recently. But now, somehow songs in AAC/m4a format seem to randomly trigger these loading errors. I strongly suspect one of the recent software updates changed something in the media player code that now makes m4a playback unreliable.

p.s. unrelated to this issue of loading errors, with one of the latest 1 or 2 software updates I seem to be getting occasional random rescans of the USB again - I thought those had gone away completely for a while and I only just started noticing them again. Could be just coincidental, since I've been concentrating on finding the source of the loading errors the past couple weeks...

an update on my report of a sudden increase in frequency of random USB "Loading errors" starting sometime after one of the recent software updates (likely starting with 17.24.28, though I'm now on 17.26.76 and the problem perhaps occurs more frequently). In the previous ~1.5yrs or so I don’t recall seeing any loading errors on USB, but now they're so frequent that USB playback is basically useless for me.

I've done some experimentation to gather my observations before emailing service ([email protected]) - in hopes of getting a more helpful response than a suggestion my USB flash device is defective...

I tested several different USB flash sticks of various sizes (2GB~64GB) and various brands, with different assortments of music stored on them. The problem occurs across all the devices I've tested so I don't think it's due to a faulty device, unless I'm just really unlucky. I can reproduce the errors on a 64GB flash nearly full of music, and also on a 2GB flash with only a couple dozen music files, so the problem isn't related to total music collection size on the USB. It doesn't seem that individual files are corrupted and therefore causing the errors, because if/when a loading error occurs on a song, I can always play that same song successfully if I try playing it at another time. All the songs in my collection have embedded artwork which displays correctly in the Tesla media player, so I don't think that's a trigger.

But I'm now thinking there is correlation between music file format and the loading errors.

My music collection consists of a mix of .mp3 and .m4a (compressed AAC, non-DRM) files, perhaps roughly 50/50 mix. I prepared several USB flash devices, each with two folders, one containing only mp3 files and the other containing only m4a files. Some devices were loaded with only a dozen songs, others with thousands of songs. In the media player, I select one of the folders on the USB and then shuffle play the songs in that folder, so that I'm either playing just mp3 or just m4a songs. I also rebooted the CID between tests.

While playing a folder of m4a songs, I can easily reproduce the loading errors, usually within the first few songs played back - it doesn’t matter on which USB device. But while playing a folder of mp3 files, (so far) I've not yet been able to reproduce the problem - even though the mp3 folder is on a same USB device as m4a files (so I can again rule out a faulty device). This might explain why some people here aren’t seeing these loading errors - perhaps those people are not playing any aac/m4a files?

I can't say with 100% confidence right now that mp3 file will never cause a loading error, but in my small sampling so far there's definitely a difference between mp3 and aac/m4a file behaviour. Next test I will just leave the USB on mp3 playback and observe over the next couple days of actual driving to verify the problem doesn't exist for mp3 only.

Can anyone else who is seeing an increase in USB loading errors recently confirm if they see any correlation between file format and loading errors?

as I mentioned, the USB player used to work perfectly fine in my MS, with either file type, until very recently. But now, somehow songs in AAC/m4a format seem to randomly trigger these loading errors. I strongly suspect one of the recent software updates changed something in the media player code that now makes m4a playback unreliable.

p.s. unrelated to this issue of loading errors, with one of the latest 1 or 2 software updates I seem to be getting occasional random rescans of the USB again - I thought those had gone away completely for a while and I only just started noticing them again. Could be just coincidental, since I've been concentrating on finding the source of the loading errors the past couple weeks...
Sorry, not interested in doing more testing for Tesla. Numerous people here have spent hours testing and documenting the media player under a broad spectrum of usage cases. A total waste of time as Tesla has zero resources committed to CID apps.

We simply have to accept that the apps have a poor UI, weak functionality and a buggy implementation.

The only thing that remains to be seen is if the same lousy apps are being supplied in the M3 and whether those owners, and the automotive press, will shame Tesla into finally developing infotainment apps worthy of the automotive aspects of the vehicles.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and BertL
Sorry, not interested in doing more testing for Tesla. Numerous people here have spent hours testing and documenting the media player under a broad spectrum of usage cases. A total waste of time as Tesla has zero resources committed to CID apps.

We simply have to accept that the apps have a poor UI, weak functionality and a buggy implementation.

The only thing that remains to be seen is if the same lousy apps are being supplied in the M3 and whether those owners, and the automotive press, will shame Tesla into finally developing infotainment apps worthy of the automotive aspects of the vehicles.

Or maybe pressure them to finally open up the SDK?

Edit: I'm cool with doing more testing for Tesla, but only because my life is phenomenally boring a lot of the time.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I wish I had read this thread before ordering my Tesla -- This car is obsolete. Except for its electric drive and auto-driving simple things suck.

Iphone integration for music has been discussed since 2013 -- no fixes so far. USB is syncing form my PC/Mac is a was of time unless you don't change your music playlist; wait it seems playlists dont work - you need to create folders to represent them.
Blind spot - may not even be possible since the car does not have radar sensors.

Reactions: supratachophobia
FWIW, a few hours after I installed 2017.32.9ea02cb, I encountered an unexpected USB rescan after having parked for less than 10 minutes running errands. Additionally, "Random" (or is it supposed to be "Shuffle") still isn't operating as it should be. It still loops through a limited number of tracks based on the initial track the sequence begins with. IOW, no change for me with these couple of more prominent USB bugs. ;)

Can confirm problems with .m4a files...no problems with mp3 but frequent problems with m4a. No problems with those files prior to my update to 17.28.4 a month or so ago. What's strange is that sometimes a certain m4a file will take a second to play and then eventually work, and other times, that same file will end in a loading error. Tried deleting all files from usb stick and reformatting combined with an MCU reset prior to reinserting usb stick, but did not help. It's depressing when things that used to work stop working...

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop
After SW upgrade I had to rebook since system only showed that 25% of my flac files had been loaded.

Since then been working well (within the usual limitations....but note I have 'cleaned' up my music files to work with Tesla limitations). Now if only XM radio could get fixed......

I have seen what f-stop noticed, that mp4 is problematic but mp3 is not, nor is aiff.

If i use the USB drive for a while I start to get the “touchscreen unresponsive” error a lot until I remove thr drive.
I used to get frequent "touchscreen unresponsive" errors and when I contacted service their only suggestion was to unplug anything in the USB port. The problem eventually went away and I couldn't reproduce it, even with same old USB stick containing same music collection plugged in. There might have been a software update in between, I forget. I chalk it up to general flakiness of how the MS handles USB devices (e.g other things like random re-scans, etc)

Can confirm problems with .m4a files...no problems with mp3 but frequent problems with m4a. No problems with those files prior to my update to 17.28.4 a month or so ago. What's strange is that sometimes a certain m4a file will take a second to play and then eventually work, and other times, that same file will end in a loading error. Tried deleting all files from usb stick and reformatting combined with an MCU reset prior to reinserting usb stick, but did not help. It's depressing when things that used to work stop working...

Thanks for confirming same observation on m4a files. I see the exact same behavior you mention re: certain files eventually working, other times failing. Since I posted my earlier message suggesting m4a files being the trigger for loading errors, I've seen exactly 1 MP3 file loading error, but frequent/continuous loading errors any time I try to play m4a files. I can format a brand new USB stick, put a handful of m4a files on it and it's basically unplayable in the MS due to loading errors. Do the same with only a few MP3 files and it seems to play fine forever. I can 100% reproduce it. I sent these observations to Tesla service and not a peep from then, not even an acknowledgement of my email (nor suggestion to stop plugging in USB devices, which I fully expect them to say). I suspect they have zero engineers looking after the media player these days.

...I sent these observations to Tesla service and not a peep from then, not even an acknowledgement of my email (nor suggestion to stop plugging in USB devices, which I fully expect them to say). I suspect they have zero engineers looking after the media player these days.
While I have no concrete facts to back it up, I continue to believe that some of the reasons certain file types work better than others at various times, is because the common libraries which support different media filetypes are evolving as Tesla has been playing around with the Linux code base and providing firmware updates to the fleet. IMHO there is no way Tesla is writing that sorta stuff themselves (there isn't anything unique to it), but instead uses generally available routines just like basic USB error recovery is fairly common off-the-shelf which can be adapted for specific purposes. As to how current the routines are that Tesla is using, how well Tesla maintains them with fixes, and if Tesla's broader code that interfaces to those routines is robust enough, its a whole other point of speculation.

BTW, I plan to provide what's becoming my annual short list of USB and Infotainment Bugs when I take my MS in for it's 2-year service next month. I don't suspect it will do any good, and I too will get the shoulder shrug, "it will be fixed in a future firmware update" (with no ETA), the latest firmware will be installed with a hope and prayer it may help, or I too will be told to remove my USB devices each time I get in and out of my MS. ;) Oh, and let's remember, Tesla has never specified what media filetypes are really supported for playback in their Owner's Manual like all other mfgrs do, so perhaps .m4a or .flac are not. :) At least I've never been told that is my problem!

Have a good long weekend all!

@BertL I've been noticing rescans lately (last 60 days), but only because my work schedule has me using the car around the 11pm-1230am time period. I've noticed the car waking from that really deep sleep where both screens are totally off and take quite a few seconds to come on. The rescans happen then. They never happen any other time. Are times or timezones something you've noticed? I also have power saving all the way off as usual.