Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May '17 S100D v8.1 (2017.32.6 ca28227 installed on September 1, 2017)... Is it possible that Tesla performed some over-the-air modification without request?
Hummm. My former rescan situation would sometimes go for days without an issue, then happen for no rhyme-nor-reason once, or perhaps each time I stopped running errands around town in a single day. I do listen to my USB music nearly all the time unless I become impatient for some music during former rescans.

To your question: Tesla of course controls what goes on — so many things are possible, but normal process is you have to accept an update and the release level changes with each iteration. One exception to that IIRC reading early posts with some of the first MS, where Tesla pushed an emergency safety update of some sort to vehicles. I don’t remember reading of anything like that taking place since. There are enough owners now, some that go so far as to watch their routers and what gets sent to their MS, so someone would likely catch it.

I am having a difficult time finding an automated small album art image updating application. I manage my MP3 collection primarily in Windows 7. Most of the low level stuff is done in Linux CLI. I would like a Windows application that would look at a directory of MP3 files and, based on name or ID tag, retrieve "best guess" album art.

Closest I've gotten is an application that presents a list of probable art and I have to select the best image. That is rather cumbersome for several hundred MP3 files.

I don’t use Windows very often, so have not used it, but IIRC take a look at the dBpoweramp PerfectTunes App. It’s got album art capabilities that I suspect you are looking for, and I wished they had a Mac version of (but they don’t)... I’m a big supporter of their primary dBpoweramp app as others in this thread are, so suspect PerfectTunes will be of similar caliber, or at least worth a look. Good luck with your pursuit!

• Informative
Reactions: Dameon
I use the AT&T connection, so cannot check a router log. (Our rural ISP is so slow, AT&T is much faster.) I do not think there is a way to check the AT&T for downloads. From suspension issues, I know that Tesla tells me they downloaded the log to see a failure.

I suspect our current experience is like yours, where days would pass with no rescan, although that has never happened in the past. I am afraid to change anything now, for fear of altering the condition that allows listening.

s
One year in and my model X still does not resume mp3 playback when I get in the car or it randomly starts from my phone using Bluetooth. Ridiculous.
I wasn't having many of the problems stated in this thread... I guess I was just lucky up to now.

When my MP3 USB drive is not plugged in, it randomly starts playing audio from my Galaxy Note via Bluetooth. For whatever reason, it chooses the crappy Samsung demo song. When the USB drive is plugged in, it doesn't do it. In fact, playing songs from the USB drive works great. I've never seen any trace of "scanning". Probably due to the fact that I only have a couple hundred songs on my USB drive(s). Until last night, all the songs were ID3v1, but on the suggestions of others, I updated everything to ID3v2. This morning, I put my USB drive in, starting playing the first track and touched the randomizer button. It finished the first song, played the second song (a random selection), a third song (a random selection) and "randomly" selected the second song as the fourth song. I arrive at my destination, so no further testing. I'm gathering the randomizing process looks at the entire music collection and randomly selects a song... every time and without removing the previously played songs for that session.

The question would be: how do we want it to behave? If it selected a random song from the collection, then removed that song from future selection, it would eventually run out of songs and would stop playing. Would people then say there was a problem because "it just quit playing after three songs!" and that's because over the last weeks of car usage, you depleted the playlist?

Although I've never used it, the media player seems to support playlists. Create a random playlist using your favorite desktop media player and save that to your USB drive. Done. Yeah, if you listen to the playlist enough times, it won't seem random, but by then you've probably changed your song collection or tastes anyway. VLC should release a Tesla app for music.

The Bluetooth autoplay bug is of greater concern. I'm not sure how to work around that. Not pairing the phone would fix it, but then I lose hands free.

@Daemon, Personally if I were given a choice, I’d prefer Tesla implement a real shuffle mode (meaning, play each song within a list in a random order without repeating any until all are done playing), then stop. Then, if I also have the repeat selection enabled, instead of stopping, the player should start a new shuffle of the same list over again with stopping. That is how other players like say iTunes and iPods operate. As I’ve said before, Tesla does not need to be creative in a lot of these MP things... many good performing players have existed for years. ;)

Playlists. Sorry, I can’t agree with you that Tesla in any shape or form implements a playlist function. Keeping many USB sticks in a MS, physically swapping them and waiting for the scan before the next set plays, is a poor workaround. Some have done more unusual workarounds using a modified genre tag as a way to create playlists, and others just use folder view for everything in MP. Trying to then use random/shuffle with either can be problematic. Tesla just needs to first fix MP bugs including random/shuffle, then put in the other basics most of us expect from even cheap boom boxes — let alone our $100K Tesla.

The Bluetooth priority problem has been in existence for quite a while. It’s not unique to Android, as iPhones have been reported with the same problem. IIRC, you are getting the default song being played because that is the first one your Android Music Player plays by default. I’ve read of people doing workarounds to,change that default by renaming tracks, or putting in a default track that literally plays silence (it’s a big hit at $1.29 a download in iTunes), and such, but I have never paid much attention to the detail since I keep my USB SSD plugged-in 99.9% of the time. Do some WWW searches if you are interested in changing what your default song is as a workaround. IMHO, the problem would be fixed by Tesla if they just created a pervasive OFF “button” in MP like other mfgrs provide —it’s what some of us have suggested for months/years. Tesla instead tries to always start playing something from MP in a number of scenarios which to me is the root problem.

s
I wasn't having many of the problems stated in this thread... I guess I was just lucky up to now.

When my MP3 USB drive is not plugged in, it randomly starts playing audio from my Galaxy Note via Bluetooth. For whatever reason, it chooses the crappy Samsung demo song. When the USB drive is plugged in, it doesn't do it. In fact, playing songs from the USB drive works great. I've never seen any trace of "scanning". Probably due to the fact that I only have a couple hundred songs on my USB drive(s). Until last night, all the songs were ID3v1, but on the suggestions of others, I updated everything to ID3v2. This morning, I put my USB drive in, starting playing the first track and touched the randomizer button. It finished the first song, played the second song (a random selection), a third song (a random selection) and "randomly" selected the second song as the fourth song. I arrive at my destination, so no further testing. I'm gathering the randomizing process looks at the entire music collection and randomly selects a song... every time and without removing the previously played songs for that session.

The question would be: how do we want it to behave? If it selected a random song from the collection, then removed that song from future selection, it would eventually run out of songs and would stop playing. Would people then say there was a problem because "it just quit playing after three songs!" and that's because over the last weeks of car usage, you depleted the playlist?

Although I've never used it, the media player seems to support playlists. Create a random playlist using your favorite desktop media player and save that to your USB drive. Done. Yeah, if you listen to the playlist enough times, it won't seem random, but by then you've probably changed your song collection or tastes anyway. VLC should release a Tesla app for music.

The Bluetooth autoplay bug is of greater concern. I'm not sure how to work around that. Not pairing the phone would fix it, but then I lose hands free.
There’s no playlist function.

So this is not a Tesla problem but a Google problem?

No, there is a general Bluetooth device issue (an old intended feature) apparently, where successful connection automatically triggers music playback resumption. In Android and iOS, this may simply mean invoking the last used music playback app. So depending on your car, your phone, and the music app on it, this may happen for you if all these stars align.

The article just says that if the last music playback app used on your phone is Google Play Music, you can prevent this from happening because the app now allows you to prevent it in its settings explicitly.

So, I don't know if @Dameon and @BertL are talking about this same issue, but I pointed to the article, just in case. To test, may be you can try the following:
  1. Play some music on Google Play Music on the phone one time.
  2. Turn "Allow external devices to start playback" off in the app settings.
  3. Don't play any music on the phone for a few days.
  4. During these few days, if Tesla never automatically starts playing music from your phone, then probably the issue you were facing is indeed what we are talking about. If that is the case, then either switch to Google Play Music as your favorite music app on your phone, or see if your favorite app has a similar setting that you can turn off.
I encourage everyone to read the article (especially the What is this about? section). It's pretty interesting.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BertL
No, there is a general Bluetooth device issue (an old intended feature) apparently, where successful connection automatically triggers music playback resumption. In Android and iOS, this may simply mean invoking the last used music playback app. So depending on your car, your phone, and the music app on it, this may happen for you if all these stars align.

The article just says that if the last music playback app used on your phone is Google Play Music, you can prevent this from happening because the app now allows you to prevent it in its settings explicitly.

So, I don't know if @Dameon and @BertL are talking about this same issue...
I'm not an Android user, but never had the Bluetooth "autoplay" problem I occasionally do with my iPhone and MS, in my former Lexus, MBZ or BMW. IMHO it's a bug or design problem how Tesla implements Bluetooth that effects both Android and iOS. As I mentioned, an easy workaround for Tesla is to simply provide a pervasive MP ON/OFF toggle that would prevent this oddity when MP was OFF, while providing the side benefit of allowing true silence in the vehicle without turning the volume down to zero while music still plays. ;)

Your article is an interesting one that may provide an Android-specific workaround, similar to the "track silence" workaround some iPhone owners have been using.

Reactions: iffatall
...IMHO it's a bug or design problem how Tesla implements Bluetooth that effects both Android and iOS. As I mentioned, an easy workaround for Tesla is to simply provide a pervasive MP ON/OFF toggle that would prevent this oddity when MP was OFF, while providing the side benefit of allowing true silence in the vehicle without turning the volume down to zero while music still plays. ;)...

Exactly my thoughts.

Confirming Shuffle Mode

My MS is still on the older 2017.32.ea02cb, but previous reports that random/shuffle has changed got my hopes up. I have returned from a short road trip where I had several 2-hour continuous driving stints to repetitively try USB MP random/shuffle.

Environment:
  • Approx 7K, MP3 VBR tracks on my USB SSD, with each track inside it's related album folder off the root
  • For these tests, I worked exclusively with
    • a single Genre consisting of 700+ tracks
    • a single Album consisting of 14 tracks

Results: With "Shuffle" ON & "Repeat" OFF, and without touching any other MP buttons or turning my MS off, I played:
  • my selected Genre (700+ tracks) using standard MP USB interface, as well as the same Genre as a "Recent". In all 3 tests, I had in excess of 18-30 tracks play without a repeat.
  • my selected Album (14 tracks) using standard MP USB interface, as well as the same Album as a "Recent", and via Folder View. In all 3 tests, a random playback of the tracks occurred and MP stopped (as it should) once all tracks had been played.

Notes & Oddities
  1. As should be expected, the less tracks you have within a "list" to be played-back, the less random your tracks will appear to be played back in shuffle mode. It's why it was important to me to try this with much longer "lists" of tracks to be played-back without interaction, as we've been fooled before. ;)
  2. I have not proven it, but I still believe that skipping forward or back through tracks while playing back in Shuffle Mode (steering wheel buttons or via CID) can influence and perhaps negatively impact your perception of "how random" shuffle mode is -- especially with a smaller number of tracks. I have not figured-out the pattern what Tesla's random logic is doing in this situation.
  3. Tesla Shuffle logic appears to have been designed and/or written to always playback the first track in "the list" before it goes into random playback. Personally, I don't consider that as elegant as the programming could be, but it is what it is.
  4. It is IMPORTANT to keep "Repeat" OFF if you want Shuffle to provide the best random playback. If you turn Repeat ON, the resulting Shuffle logic appears to be less random -- I suspect Tesla's logic "re-randomizes" after each track is played, which can make some tracks play more often than if "Repeat" is OFF. I consider this a bug in the design, but it's not super-high in my hit parade of things to still be corrected.
  5. While I had zero Rescans since migrating to 100% MP3 VBR filetypes more than 3 weeks ago, that was with shorter trips in my MS. I suspect that while changing to MP3 helped reduce my more frequent rescan problem, Tesla still has memory leakage issues within MP, as I ALWAYS had a rescan happen upon turning my MS back on, after playing back many tracks doing my playback tests of 1-2+ hours. I never had a CID reboot while the MS was on, but the rescans do still occur in some long-term driving scenarios. I still believe that each of our individual situations will vary, as CID memory utilization is different for each of us each and every time we get in and use our MS.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
As I posted earlier, my experience is also that shuffle is "fixed" now. Regarding your observation #2 above, I usually shuffle through all songs in a collection of >5k songs. Advancing past a track does not impact randomness. I suppose if you were randomize get through a 12 track album, it might appear to.

As I posted earlier, my experience is also that shuffle is "fixed" now. Regarding your observation #2 above, I usually shuffle through all songs in a collection of >5k songs. Advancing past a track does not impact randomness. I suppose if you were randomize get through a 12 track album, it might appear to.
That's right. My observations with "less randomness" and use of forward/reverse (#2 above) are with smaller size "lists", similar to the issue I found with Repeat being ON (#4). I suspect the same thing happens with any size "list" that MP plays with Shuffle ON -- it's just not as apparent with a larger selection unless one keeps a written list of tracks played, listens for hours, and a rescan does not happen somewhere in-between. ;)

I think I discovered a sure way to resume playback (at least to the track) when you restart the car. You have to pause the playback before you exit the vehicle.

Sometimes it remembers the album and sometimes just the track unfortunately. Probably not much different than just going to Recents. :(

I think I discovered a sure way to resume playback (at least to the track) when you restart the car. You have to pause the playback before you exit the vehicle.

Sometimes it remembers the album and sometimes just the track unfortunately. Probably not much different than just going to Recents. :(
What filetypes are you using? That seems to be part of the equation as to how well or not "auto pause" works or not, e.g. it works 100% of the time now that I migrated to only MP3s, but never worked with my FLACs even if I tried the manual pause before exiting my MS. A definite oddity!

For me with 100% MP3s, every one of my tracks will "auto pause" upon exit of my MS, and start exactly where it left off upon reentry. My former 100% FLACs all started playing upon entry at the beginning of the track, no matter where they were at the point I exited my MS.
Aha. I’m FLAC and they all restart. Weird that logic would be unique for format.