Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking out the TeslaCam USB device and moving the music USB to the other port did not work.

I then tried a 2g drive with about 40 songs on it and it did not work.

I then reformatted the drive I was using for TeslaCam, so no TeslaCam folder anymore, put all the music on it and it is not working either.

When I say not working, I am only referring to the USB music source starting up properly. In every case now TuneIn is the default. If I press USB and manually pick a folder and music to play it all works. The car just does not remember that I was using USB as my source.

Oh, I also failed to mention that all the music is MP3.

Also since the car is only 8 months old and I have not taken any trips in it yet, there are almost no navigational destinations in the memory.

I guess I will try changing the directory name.
Thx for the update. Yes, try the directory name change. Symptoms sound to me more and more like a MP firmware bug perhaps triggered by an underlying hardware problem or something unique HW-wise to your MX compared to some of our older MS, especially since no-one else has yet reported the same issue. I do believe though a lot of Tesla owners just go with the flow and are happy using streaming or bluetooth for their music sources, while some others that care about listening to their own music like us have thrown in the towel, perhaps come up with their own workarounds and may not be coming to this thread any longer, or just don't expect MP to deliver as well as a cheap boom box.

I may be wrong, but IIRC doesn't a current MX have USB ports both in the front center console and another pair in the back seat? (My MS only has 2 ports in the front console.). If so, be sure you try the scenarios in both the front and back physical ports -- IDK how the physical wiring works and if all the ports end-up running off the same USB chips or even a partially different interface some way back to the CID... worth a try perhaps, but I've now stretched as far as I can trying to come up with other things to try.

At that point, I suggest you call Tesla Service and report the problem -- especially as it appears to be reproducible with two different USB devices (be sure to take both to your service appt.), in multiple ports, and began after the last firmware update. We'll hope you are one of the few with a failing piece of HW that can be replaced and resolves your issue, and you don't get the infamous "We're sorry, but the problem is closed. Hopefully a future firmware patch will resolve your problem." response. (At least in my experience, Tesla never keeps those sort of problems open against your VIN, and then follows-up if it gets resolved like I had both Lexus and MBZ do for me in the past. Similarly, a SvC does not seem to be able to peer into open MP firmware bugs -- or maybe they just no longer take the time to do that extra research with all they have to do -- as well as other mfgr service may be able to.)

Good luck.

From what I can tell in my Model X, the 3 rear usb ports are only power related. I can not put my music usb drive back there and use it to play music.

I've noted that if I leave the media player on streaming, it does come back as streaming the next time I get in the car. The TuneIn default seems to only occur when I have been using my usb drive.

I have ordered some brand new Samsung usb drives so I will test them in a week or so.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
We've been posting here about media player issues for almost 3 years now -- with almost 2,000 posts. While the car's software has been updated with lots of "fun" features, we still have a few very basic media player issues that are still unresolved after quite a long time so let's try something slightly different...

It is "Please fix the USB Audio player Monday!" Today, and every Monday, I will post a message here imploring anyone who follows this thread and affected by the media player issues to please login to your Tesla Account and submit a support request asking them to please fix the USB audio player. Could everyone affected by this please do this? Please be polite and nice when you contact them but let them know how the media player issues are affecting you and how you'd like the USB audio player to be fixed.

I'm hoping with enough of us contacting about the media player, every Monday, they will address some of the media player issues. I would just like the media player to work and to be able to get in my car and for the USB music to resume where it left off.

I've created a separate thread outlining just 4 simple features they can implement/fix that I think will make a massive difference for all of us who listen to USB media in the car. Please feel free to contribute. I hope with enough of us asking kindly for the media player to be fixed, they will fix the media player.

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

• Love
Reactions: Polly Wog and memcd
We've been posting here about media player issues for almost 3 years now -- with almost 2,000 posts. While the car's software has been updated with lots of "fun" features, we still have a few very basic media player issues that are still unresolved after quite a long time so let's try something slightly different...

It is "Please fix the USB Audio player Monday!" Today, and every Monday, I will post a message here imploring anyone who follows this thread and affected by the media player issues to please login to your Tesla Account and submit a support request asking them to please fix the USB audio player. Could everyone affected by this please do this? Please be polite and nice when you contact them but let them know how the media player issues are affecting you and how you'd like the USB audio player to be fixed.

I'm hoping with enough of us contacting about the media player, every Monday, they will address some of the media player issues. I would just like the media player to work and to be able to get in my car and for the USB music to resume where it left off.

I've created a separate thread outlining just 4 simple features they can implement/fix that I think will make a massive difference for all of us who listen to USB media in the car. Please feel free to contribute. I hope with enough of us asking kindly for the media player to be fixed, they will fix the media player.

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.
I wish you luck with your effort. Hopefully people don't see your possible ongoing future Monday posts here as too repetitive while we wait for Tesla to do something. ;)

As one of the sort-of-founders of this thread, if you've not been able to read through the nearly 100 pages and a couple of other older now-abandoned threads before it, there have been several things tried over the years ... multiple card & letter campaigns; Tweets directly to Elon -- hoping to get the occasional focus he sometimes provides when something catches his eye on Twitter; methodical prioritization here from many USB MP owners of bugs needing to be resolved and that input given to Tesla; more than one instance where individuals had (secret) contacts to Tesla employees or Execs where input was provided; I suspect more than one owner that has been part of Tesla's Beta program who tried to influence change; and more recent threads such as your new one of the top things needing to be resolved.

Besides having been part of many of those efforts for the nearly 4 years I've owned my MS, and having spent literally man-weeks personally testing, documenting in this thread, and coming up with workarounds to make my MP USB experience more tenable, I finally gave up a while back trying to effect change with Tesla. Tesla's business model is to only sell cars, not make money off of service, and is not (yet) truly focused on customer sat comparisons that will likely happen as more competitive EVs enter the market. Elon runs the ship effectively alone, and he makes the decisions what gets worked on -- useless Easter eggs and all the rest. IMO, as long as owners keep buying new Tesla's with MP USB as it is, it promotes in Elon's mind that all is well -- there is nothing else to really hit his business sense. Just look at some of the epilogs of upthread posters who would like a better MP USB experience, who's input I value, and who also contribute here to help others, but have also purchased more than one new Tesla since those problems were first identified -- for them, MP USB problems are not enough to stop them from purchasing another. I wish everyone the best with the decisions they make, but suspect I'm one of a minority who truly loves his MS, but as my own little protest that won't matter to Elon in the least, refuses to purchase another Tesla with the generally poor service and MP issues that continue to exist despite trying to bring this to Tesla's attention in a business-like way more times than I can count. I politely tell Tesla Store personnel that same thing each time they call trying to get me into a new MS or M3, before they too, politely thank me and hang up. ;)

Good luck with your project. I truly hope it effects positive change for all of us.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pollux and neroden
I put all my usb music under one folder, which then had many separate sub folders under it.

Looked promising when I drove and had lunch. When I got back in the car the music started back up the way it should.

Drove another hour down the road and supercharged. When I got back in the car I got nothing. I had someone else in the car so I did not attempt to restart the usb music .

3 more hours down the road with no music. I supercharged again. Still no music.

Another hour with nothing and I reached my destination. Unloading the car, caused the car to shutdown and power up multiple times. One of those times out of maybe 10 startups, the music did start at the correct place that it had last played. The other 9 or so times nothing. It is still doing nothing.

I guess what I am saying is that the player does remember where it was even after many many restarts, it just hardly ever initializes the player properly to play the music.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and neroden

Weird. It'll let me do this on one of my cars but the other one DOES NOT HAVE A SUPPORT REQUEST OPTION on the website.

Won't happen; they're not listening.

If I had time, I'd try the federal warranty-violation lawsuit route, which might do the trick. In the meantime, I have an executive contact, and maybe that will help.

I wish you luck with your effort. Hopefully people don't see your possible ongoing future Monday posts here as too repetitive while we wait for Tesla to do something. ;)

As one of the sort-of-founders of this thread, if you've not been able to read through the nearly 100 pages and a couple of other older now-abandoned threads before it, there have been several things tried over the years ... multiple card & letter campaigns; Tweets directly to Elon -- hoping to get the occasional focus he sometimes provides when something catches his eye on Twitter; methodical prioritization here from many USB MP owners of bugs needing to be resolved and that input given to Tesla; more than one instance where individuals had (secret) contacts to Tesla employees or Execs where input was provided; I suspect more than one owner that has been part of Tesla's Beta program who tried to influence change; and more recent threads such as your new one of the top things needing to be resolved.

Besides having been part of many of those efforts for the nearly 4 years I've owned my MS, and having spent literally man-weeks personally testing, documenting in this thread, and coming up with workarounds to make my MP USB experience more tenable, I finally gave up a while back trying to effect change with Tesla. Tesla's business model is to only sell cars, not make money off of service, and is not (yet) truly focused on customer sat comparisons that will likely happen as more competitive EVs enter the market. Elon runs the ship effectively alone, and he makes the decisions what gets worked on -- useless Easter eggs and all the rest. IMO, as long as owners keep buying new Tesla's with MP USB as it is, it promotes in Elon's mind that all is well -- there is nothing else to really hit his business sense. Just look at some of the epilogs of upthread posters who would like a better MP USB experience, who's input I value, and who also contribute here to help others, but have also purchased more than one new Tesla since those problems were first identified -- for them, MP USB problems are not enough to stop them from purchasing another. I wish everyone the best with the decisions they make, but suspect I'm one of a minority who truly loves his MS, but as my own little protest that won't matter to Elon in the least, refuses to purchase another Tesla with the generally poor service and MP issues that continue to exist despite trying to bring this to Tesla's attention in a business-like way more times than I can count. I politely tell Tesla Store personnel that same thing each time they call trying to get me into a new MS or M3, before they too, politely thank me and hang up. ;)

Good luck with your project. I truly hope it effects positive change for all of us.

Thanks for all your efforts to get the media player fixed! We all share the same goal.

Now that we've tried many things including this thread reaching nearly 2,000 posts, let's all try contacting support every Monday morning via the Tesla Account support option and and ask them to please fix the USB audio player. If it doesn't work, at least we've tried that option too...

I am on 2019.24.4 and today was the first time in a number of weeks I have used my USB stick. I got sick of the issues so I went to streaming and just kept pounding through songs until something was acceptable.

Today I drove for about an 45 minutes with three stops. Used the USB with one album the entire time starting on track 1. And for the first time since I can remember every stop started with not only the track I last stopped with but even started at the same place. Amazing.

I fully expect this was a unique experience so I had to come here and document it. ;)

I am on 2019.24.4 and today was the first time in a number of weeks I have used my USB stick. I got sick of the issues so I went to streaming and just kept pounding through songs until something was acceptable.

Today I drove for about an 45 minutes with three stops. Used the USB with one album the entire time starting on track 1. And for the first time since I can remember every stop started with not only the track I last stopped with but even started at the same place. Amazing.

I fully expect this was a unique experience so I had to come here and document it. ;)

Ya know I was going to write almost the exact same post. Weird. Like it actually works the way it’s supposed to.

You realize of course that it’s never ever going to work for either of us ever again. :)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: BertL and aesculus
The new Samsung USB drive did not fix the problem either, still defaulting to TuneIn. Going to try the new drive with just one album and see how that goes.

I have tested Streaming audio, which I have not really used in the past. Streaming audio seems to be restarting properly 100% of the time.

FWIW, I had MP playing an FM station when I went out to my MS yesterday morning (I was playing USB the day before when I parked). So, it seems this bug can be rather random as I've had it switch to TuneIn, FM, and the "everything greyed-out and unselectable until full reboot" varieties in the past few months. In my situation, the frequency of failures isn't pervasive -- just enough to be a continued nuisance I can't workaround -- and I'd say I get each variety as often as the others as if it's some sort of new Toy Box Game :rolleyes: -- whereas owners like @Sparrow get the TuneIn failure far more consistently and often.

...and just for comparison sake, I have a 9-2015-build MS 90D with an MCU1, AP1, Premium Sound, less than 2 dozen nav history items, well less than 500 iPhone contacts, presently running firmware 2019.24.4. USB is a PNY Elite 480GB USB 3 SSD -- no unique cable/splitter, with approx 7K tracks, only MP3 VBR encoding with my minimized file structure, file naming and highly edited & standardized metadata on each and every track.

Last edited:
Tried another brank new 32g Samsung USB drive, FAT32. I only added 12 songs with no folders all MP3s. Deleted all navigation addresses. (there were maybe 20 addresses to start with)

Have tried it twice so far and both times it defaulted to TuneIn.

It is "Please fix the USB Audio player Monday!"

When I asked Tesla about when they would fix some of the media player issues, I was told bug fixes are based on how many inquiries they get from customers. If you are affected by the USB media player bugs and issues and have been a part of this nearly 2 year old 2,000 post thread, and would really wish the media player was fixed, please do the following. :
  • Please login to your Tesla Account
  • Please go to the section on your account where you can submit a support request asking them to please fix the USB audio player. I've summarized 4 major issues here: Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.
  • Please be polite and nice when you contact them but let them know how the media player issues are affecting you and how you'd like the USB audio player to be fixed. I am sure they are overworked but these issues have been ongoing for years and really should not take much effort to fix.
I'm hoping with enough of us contacting about the media player, every Monday, they will address some of the media player issues. How nice would it be to get in your car and have the USB music resume where it left off?!

Re: USB audio not resuming correctly when returning to the car. FWIW I *used to* have the longstanding problem where the USB would always restart at the beginning of the last track which was playing before parking the car. But somehow that problem went away a few software updates ago (notice I hesitate to say it “was fixed”) - then if I was in the middle of the song and parked the car, when I returned the song would pick up right where it left off. A miracle, right?

Well for the past month or two I’ve been mostly listening to a lot of Slacker streaming audio in the car, and not feeling much like checking the list of USB bugs with each recent software update. Well I now notice the USB resume problem has returned - ie the USB player restarts at the beginning of the latest track when returning to the car. So I’m guessing it was never really *fixed* on purpose by Tesla engineers but rather some random set of circumstances continues to trigger the problem in the MP's buggy code

A long time ago (many pages back in this thread) I also had the problem where upon returning to the car, the wrong audio source (usually, radio) or sometimes NO audio source was selected, after playing USB prior to parking. But thankfully I haven’t had that problem for a long long time <knocks on wood> - I see it seems to still persist for others.

As mentioned I’ve not had the urge to go back and check all of the many many bugs in this thread, many of which I’ve reported or observed, AND several of which I’ve politely reported to Tesla in enough detail to reproduce - and never once even getting a robo-auto-reply thanking me for my input, BTW

While I’m at it, a few other misc music player observations.
- the bug where scrolling the right edge alpha-index is off by a letter or more still exists. e.g. by the time I scroll down the artist list to “D” the list is still showing artists all starting with “C”... ; further down the list it can get further out of sync
- USB songs marked as Favorites used to frequently spontaneously get forgotten, i.e. unmarked as Favorites. Annoying because I had marked a long list of Favorites over time, in lieu of there being no playlist support. Thankfully that problem seems to be actually fixed, quite a few SW updates ago
- while not a USB issue, I used to also have a problem in Slacker where 1 or 2 favorite channels would be forgotten almost daily - sometimes multiple times a day. I'd re-mark them as favorites and they’d disappear on their own - sometimes right in front of my eyes while looking at the screen but not touching anything. Particularly annoying since there’s no easy way to re-order Favorite channels in the list. Thankfully that seems fixed now too, since 4 or 5 updates ago
- with Slacker, audio always restarts at the beginning of the latest track when returning to the car. Not sure if that’s a bug or just a limitation how or if they buffer/save the last song streamed before parking.
- I hold out zero hope they’ll ever add any kind of playlist support. Elon's brother Kimbal once boasted on Twitter that the Tesla's infotainment system is “better than a 2020 iPhone”. Sadly what he and his brother seem to conveniently forget is that a 2001 iPod had better playlist support than a 2019 Tesla.
- I do not encounter USB loading errors any more, ever since converting my ~7k track USB library to VBR MP3
- similarly I’ve not had a spontaneous random rescan of my USB thumb drive for many months

• Informative
It is "Please fix the USB Audio player Monday!"

When I asked Tesla about when they would fix some of the media player issues, I was told bug fixes are based on how many inquiries they get from customers.

While on the surface that may appear to be a good business decision, it is short sighted. If a feature is broken, either fix it, or remove the feature. Leaving things broken for individual customers to struggle with day after day will just piss people off, and angry customers are not good for business.