Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with my Model S is the same. Regardless of environment the embedded Art work, much of it custom artwork, faithfully displays.

More research (I'm probably spending far too much time on this): FLAC seems to be the key. On albums where the remote server can't find album art and I create a FLAC file with either .jpg or .png embedded art my MS dutifully displays that art. When I use the same tagger to add a .jpg to an mp3 version of those same songs it doesn't.

So, I'm guessing that the only way the MS displays the art with mp3 is via the remote album art look up service. The only way to guarantee your embedded album art is if you only encode with FLAC.

I guess the question is why? I'm not as familiar with the ins an outs of metadata in FLAC vs mp3 or AAC.

Update: I've gone back to a burner Android phone running BlackPlayer with 6500+ tracks loaded and then paired with Bluetooth. Ran a dedicated power cable to it and it just charges every time I drive. Never drops below 80% sitting idle over the weekend. Not ideal because it's another device, but it's super reliable, album art is perfect, music starts where you left off (no restarts to beginning of track), no ridiculous scan times or unreliable behavior with plugging a USB stick into the car, etc.

Update: I've gone back to a burner Android phone running BlackPlayer with 6500+ tracks loaded and then paired with Bluetooth. Ran a dedicated power cable to it and it just charges every time I drive. Never drops below 80% sitting idle over the weekend. Not ideal because it's another device, but it's super reliable, album art is perfect, music starts where you left off (no restarts to beginning of track), no ridiculous scan times or unreliable behavior with plugging a USB stick into the car, etc.

I expect that quality will be lower because of Bluetooth than it would be from a FLAC on a flash drive...

Thanks to @f205v I've just found this thread, having reported elsewhere (High-Resolution USB Audio Broken?) that my car with an older firmware version (2020.36.11) had mysteriously lost the ability to play my 24-bit 96- or 192kHz FLAC files.

I reported this to Tesla via the "Report a Bug" feature (probably speaking into a black hole) and then telephoned Tesla service and was amazed to be able to speak with a real human being! She duly took my details and later e-mailed with the usual checks: USB stick formatting, etc. No doubt this will be noted somewhere at the bottom of a very long bug list, then struck off as "low priority" by some manager. Meanwhile, my £2000 "Premium Audio System" is unused because I can't hear my latest recordings and can't bear to dumb them down to 48 kHz (aside: sampling rate IS important: it reveals subtle transients and spatial details that we, as human beings are particularly sensitive to).

Meanwhile, I'm curious as to the legal case here: our cars have lost functionality as a result of a software update. Under English Common Law (which, I believe, underpins much of US law as well) we are entitled to be redress - but no doubt we signed our rights away by agreeing to accept software updates (though in some cases such updates have been forced on individuals as "safety precautions"). Curious.

Wasn't this bug fixed in an update after that one? 36.11 is pretty ancient - surely you've gotten some upgrades since then?

Very possibly, but this is the latest firmware for my two Teslas (these are both AP1.0 - perhaps that's why?). In any case, I'm now in a state where a Tesla firmware update has removed functionality from my vehicle…

Reactions: sduck