Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 2020.48.26 since a couple of days.
Album artwork is not yet showing, BUT restarting from the same song/minute you left the car with is now ALWAYS working! At least it's working for USB playback, I never use streaming so have no idea if it works there as well.

f205v, does the system now remember where you were on a USB song if you switch to a different source, then switch back to USB? That "feature" was broken way back in v6 IIRC, and I had given up hope that it would ever be fixed.

same on my 2019 S, it stopped showing up in recents a few months ago. quite frustrating
That's because it isn't a source anymore ..not in the list of active sources...so it functions or lack thereof like a disabled source or at least not completely enabled source. You can't search, it's not in recently, and it's surprising then that it even shows up in the bottom tabs at all as a source. Until it shows up as a toggle in the source options I don't see it working again. Contrarily, I would not be surprised if the whole reason everything that broke broke is because it was omitted from the source toggles list.

Hoping this is a good thread to ask this question; couldn't find it easily in the 107 pages of the thread (it's probably in here somewhere):

When does the (MCU1, fwiw) build the music index? On my newly-inserted USB stick (128GB stick w/~115GB of MP3-only files), I sometimes can go straight to USB and see the music, other times it seems to have started rebuilding the index when the car turns on. I'm on 48.12.1.

I was having some trouble with a sluggish display, and figured it was the eMMC. Tesla did remote diagnostics and told me my USB stick was causing problems, so I went for a couple of weeks without it. Sure enough, most all of the display sluggish-ness went away.

So I bought a new stick, put all my music on it, and plugged it in. I haven't really noticed much sluggishness in the display lately, but about 1 / 5 times I go to play USB music, I find it reindexing. Isn't it supposed to index once and save it until the stick is removed and plugged back in?

Hoping this is a good thread to ask this question; couldn't find it easily in the 107 pages of the thread (it's probably in here somewhere):

When does the (MCU1, fwiw) build the music index? On my newly-inserted USB stick (128GB stick w/~115GB of MP3-only files), I sometimes can go straight to USB and see the music, other times it seems to have started rebuilding the index when the car turns on. I'm on 48.12.1.

I was having some trouble with a sluggish display, and figured it was the eMMC. Tesla did remote diagnostics and told me my USB stick was causing problems, so I went for a couple of weeks without it. Sure enough, most all of the display sluggish-ness went away.

So I bought a new stick, put all my music on it, and plugged it in. I haven't really noticed much sluggishness in the display lately, but about 1 / 5 times I go to play USB music, I find it reindexing. Isn't it supposed to index once and save it until the stick is removed and plugged back in?
I used to have problems with USB drives when playing music, music will randomly skip few seconds every now and then. Tried 2 different usb sticks, Samsung and Sandisk with no effect. I finally switched to a high endurance microsd card and USB adapter about a month ago and haven’t had any problem since. I have a 2020 LR+ that bought in March

Just to report that high-res USB playback is STILL BROKEN following the "Christmas" software update to 2020.48.12.1 (at least, on my car).

FWIW: I have reported this issue to Tesla multiple times now. I eventually had someone asking me to provide audio samples that would replicate the issue, and I duly sent one 24-bit/192 kHz FLAC file and on 16-bit/44 kHZ FLAC file to show what doesn't and what does play. No response after 3 weeks.

I also scheduled a service visit about this bug - pointing out that Tesla had degraded the capabilities of my system. Well, they cancelled the visit of course and said that they would liaise with Fremont and that a service advisor would be in touch. That didn't happen - no contact at all - and no bug fixes either.

Not impressed.

MCU1 has less RAM that MCU2 and later. What you're seeing are side effects of memory management (the MCU trying to juggle the data that needs to be kept in memory).

Reducing the number of songs may help.

MCU1 has less RAM that MCU2 and later. What you're seeing are side effects of memory management (the MCU trying to juggle the data that needs to be kept in memory).

Reducing the number of songs may help.

I wouldn’t expect the index to be kept in ram, but on flash. But in any case, it just seems to be working differently than it used to, even with the same collection.

Maybe I’ll try yet another flash stick.

Thanks to @f205v
Meanwhile, I'm curious as to the legal case here: our cars have lost functionality as a result of a software update. Under English Common Law (which, I believe, underpins much of US law as well) we are entitled to be redress - but no doubt we signed our rights away by agreeing to accept software updates (though in some cases such updates have been forced on individuals as "safety precautions"). Curious.

In 2015 I took Tesla to state arbitrage on constant break of functionality in forced updates. As I can see this still continues. The resolution was to my favor BUT effectively resolving nothing since arbitrage is unable to enforce warranty claim and Lemon Law only really applies when car is not driveable. So Tesla can continue doing poor work on software with impunity.

This is why I no longer own Tesla.

Does anyone think it could be a deliberate change to delay the multimedia card failures? I remember they had some weird implementation where the album art cache was monotonously growing. Taking away features to save costs is something they have done before.

I hope that's not the case here, but if it is, I am afraid album art is gone forever.

Reactions: f205v
Does anyone think it could be a deliberate change to delay the multimedia card failures? I remember they had some weird implementation where the album art cache was monotonously growing. Taking away features to save costs is something they have done before.

I hope that's not the case here, but if it is, I am afraid album art is gone forever.
Deliberate??? With Tesla???

Yes.