Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like one improbable speculation to support the prior equally improbable speculation. Are you seriously arguing that Tesla cannot develop an MMC that can display tiny thumbnail jpegs because it will wear out the MMC? And you're suggesting somehow that the streaming jpegs have a radically different load on the MMC than the tiny thumbnails that are in albums? Really? Do you stay up late making stuff up? Come on 🙄 Isn't it just highly probable that this is simply a gaff consistent with the overwhelming evidence that every time Tesla redoes their firmware - as the joke goes - they fix three problems and create at least one.
  1. eMMC chips don't display anything, they are just a storage device.
  2. Tesla doesn't develop eMMC chips, they buy off the shelf components.
  3. I'm saying that the code that downloads/displays album art for streaming media is different than the code that catalogs and displays album art from USB media.
  4. The streaming code probably never cached the album art on the eMMC where the USB code did.
  5. Tesla made a concerted effort to eliminate the use of eMMC memory after the failing eMMC started to become a big issue. (And NHTSA started their investigation.)

Reactions: X Fan
For some reason, I don't think Tesla views flash music playback as a "primary use case" and doesn't appear to give it the same QA attention as some other functions. I also think they use 3rd party libraries for a lot of the media functions and so their dev team could be like "we took a library update and something non-critical stopped working... not our problem." Could be something like that where their product managers don't think there are enough of us out here pining for USB album art for it to really matter to them in the big picture view.

Reactions: hiroshiy and f205v
Seems like one improbable speculation to support the prior equally improbable speculation. Are you seriously arguing that Tesla cannot develop an MMC that can display tiny thumbnail jpegs because it will wear out the MMC? And you're suggesting somehow that the streaming jpegs have a radically different load on the MMC than the tiny thumbnails that are in albums? Really? Do you stay up late making stuff up? Come on 🙄 Isn't it just highly probable that this is simply a gaff consistent with the overwhelming evidence that every time Tesla redoes their firmware - as the joke goes - they fix three problems and create at least one.

The problem I think is the way Tesla implemented it for USB music. It appeared as though they cached the thumbnails for the entire library permanently. This can easily take up a large amount of storage when a library is large.
Earlier, they had tried reading the images on demand too, but that resulted in a laggy UI that was literally unusable. Scrolling through albums/songs was just impossible. May be some of the older owners remember that version.

"Are you seriously saying that Tesla cannot develop a piece of software with a given set of standard requirements?" - YES, I would say that, because it has been evident time and again. Well at least they will not prioritize a basic feature/requirement - unless it interests Elon personally. USB music definitely does not. It was a thing of interest for him in 2012-13. He them moved on to streaming music, and now he is mostly interested in games and Netflix.

Earlier, they had tried reading the images on demand too, but that resulted in a laggy UI that was literally unusable.
Not displaying the USB album art hasn't helped that cause though ;)

I found myself a few days ago with an MCU1 that could not load Spotify (spinning circle of doom), USB was stuttering (even minus album art) and as for Tune-In well that didn't start playing any music after waiting about 1 minute, so back to FM radio it was (reminded me of music choices when driving my first $500 car 30 years ago). People who have owned these cars for a while will note that this atrocious MCU operation was introduced by Tesla with their version bloating updates, it was never this bad pre Model 3.

In the spirit of 'if you don't ask you don't get', fwiw I joined up & tweeted Mr Musk himself, feel free to pile in with re-tweets or whatever might help to "amplify the signal of our collective discontent towards resolution" [no pun intended on that resolution !! 😜 ] at the link below, ..trust me I am not looking to build & monetize a legion of twitter followers who over-index on album art interest 😈.. just want this @#$XX problem solved..

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 12.27.26 PM.png

Last edited:
In the spirit of 'if you don't ask you don't get', fwiw I joined up & tweeted Mr Musk himself, feel free to pile in with re-tweets or whatever might help to "amplify the signal of our collective discontent towards resolution" [no pun intended on that resolution !! 😜 ] at the link below, ..trust me I am not looking to build & monetize a legion of twitter followers who over-index on album art interest 😈.. just want this @#$XX problem solved..

View attachment 661099

1 "retweet" so far - it takes a village 🤖

Reactions: Stach and f205v
I got the notification for 2020.48.37.2 as well, unfortunately I am sure I've read on here that even the 2021.xx.xx releases still have album art missing.
I'm going to wait and see what else breaks on 2020.48.37.2 before updating rather than hope something is fixed.

I can confirm 2020.48.37.2 still has no USB album art, but in the release notes it says......wait, it says nothing because they wouldn't display after it updated :rolleyes:💩
Is there a concise / complete list of all of the USB Music bugs / features that are missing, without reviewing the entire thread? Hopefully I'm just missing it, but I'd love to have a single, updated place to look as that would make it Much easier to get somebody's (Elon's) attention and not lose it.

Is there a concise / complete list of all of the USB Music bugs / features that are missing, without reviewing the entire thread? Hopefully I'm just missing it, but I'd love to have a single, updated place to look as that would make it Much easier to get somebody's (Elon's) attention and not lose it.
This might be the most recent of big hitters: Note I don't think it has the Album Art issue since this was made before the FW change erased them

Reactions: Stach
Only 3 retweets. No wonder they won’t fix it. It’s like no one cares so why waste resources.
Whilst this might be the case we aren't talking about a $5 chinese mp3 player here, these are 'luxury cars' that are not only missing common media features but Tesla break what minimalist implementation they already had. I find it very hard to believe there isn't someone within the company driving around in one of these cars wondering where the USB album art has gone.

Reactions: SFEV2020 and Stach
Here’s what happened
Elon driving around after a couple of joints, thinking to himself “this is a really good song, why am I not able to do a thumbs up??”

presses call button “call Jim in entertainment software “

Jim: hello boss, how can I help
Elon: why can’t I thumbs up this song I like?
Jim: because you are playing it from USB and not streaming
Elon: so, USB media play also has album arts?
Jim: yes boss
Elon: get rid of that feature, it confuses me. Make it happen ASAP.
Jim: consider it done in next update, two weeks.

Now, you know!

I just noticed that a recent software update messed up the tracking of USB. Now, after parking while playing something from USB, when I get back into the car after having left for more than a couple of minutes, the panel showing the currently playing selection is completely blank and USB is not shown in the list of sources. Then I see a message that it is rescanning the USB, as if USB had been unplugged. It seems that the car loses all knowledge of the USB source. Is it now cutting power to the USB source when it did not use to?

Whatever the cause, one can no longer continue playing from USB where one left off before parking.