Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
try this: open the driver's door. do not get in. wait to see if usb music starts...maybe 30 seconds. it won't...so close the door. then open it right back up and the usb music resumes.

stupid? yes.

A really, really really annoying work around that works? yes.

will Tesla fix? no.

that is all.

YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: JimS
SucreTease, you should while still outside the car shutting your door and then opening it again. For me it usually starts playing properly after the second opening, but sometimes I have to close it a 2nd or even a 3rd time. It also tends to resume properly if I have opened and closed the rear hatch of my Model X before opening the front door. Been this way for me for over 2 3/4 years. It is just amazing that they have not fixed it yet after all this time.

**Sorry just saw you got the same advise from finman100. I guess it does not hurt to hear it from 2 people.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
try this: open the driver's door. do not get in. wait to see if usb music starts...maybe 30 seconds. it won't...so close the door. then open it right back up and the usb music resumes.

stupid? yes.

A really, really really annoying work around that works? yes.

will Tesla fix? no.

that is all.

YMMV

SucreTease, you should while still outside the car shutting your door and then opening it again. For me it usually starts playing properly after the second opening, but sometimes I have to close it a 2nd or even a 3rd time. It also tends to resume properly if I have opened and closed the rear hatch of my Model X before opening the front door. Been this way for me for over 2 3/4 years. It is just amazing that they have not fixed it yet after all this time.

**Sorry just saw you got the same advise from finman100. I guess it does not hurt to hear it from 2 people.
Thank you both! This has been bothering me for a long time. Now please figure out a silly way to get the album art to display again!

Reactions: araxara
I totally agree. I got my Model 3 in March of 2019 and after painstakingly putting nearly 1000 CDs using iTunes (don't get me started with that application) on a 1 Terabyte external hard drive, I was able to listen to my collection easily in the car using a USB splitter cable. This worked great for the next year and a half approximately. I mean it was perfect. It would resume exactly where I left off every time. Then after one of the updates about six months ago that seemingly didn't address any of these issues, if I would leave the car for about 20 minutes or so, I would have to choose the album again from the main menu. Also, two other things changed:

1. Upon getting in the car, I wouldn't even have the USB tab available. Radio, Streaming, etc. were there, but not USB. It would finally appear about two blocks from my house.
2. Here's the weirdest thing. Every once in a while, the music does resume upon getting in the car, except it's a selection from the week or two before! Totally random.

back to the future mode.

I've found my USB music reloading at random times. takes awhile. But it still won't resume unless you get out of the car, close the door, re-open the door.

Lately I've just been opening the door, waiting, then see (hear!) if music plays, before getting in. if not i close the door, walk around the garage, then re-open the door. so absolutely silly this can't be fixed.

• Informative
I totally agree. I got my Model 3 in March of 2019 and after painstakingly putting nearly 1000 CDs using iTunes (don't get me started with that application) on a 1 Terabyte external hard drive, I was able to listen to my collection easily in the car using a USB splitter cable. This worked great for the next year and a half approximately.....
Does the same bug exist in the Model 3 where the USB album art does not show? This has been the case in the Model S / X for at least a year now.

I'm in......well except that I don't have (or want) Twitter. But please, get mad, call him out on such a basic function that doesn't work anymore.
Lack of resume is irritating, but my biggest complaint is the removal of album art support. I spent hundreds of hours collecting high quality artwork, and in some cases scanning album covers myself.

I have a Model S, so whenever I play USB music, I see a white square with a musical note in it on my dash display. This is literally a constant reminder that Tesla has issued a big "screw you" to a customer that paid $90K+ for their product.

hey everyone, I know this is hard to believe - I had to double/triple check even after I first saw it with my own eyes in my car this morning...

... but with firmware 2021.40, USB album art seems to finally be working again!

I got the .40 update yesterday, and though I hadn't been using USB music as much recently I know for sure a version or two ago the USB album art was still long-missing. but it's back!

Last edited:
Pictures or it didn't happen...
ok :) as I said even I didn't believe it at first

v2021.40 release note, installed yesterday.
and a couple screen pics just taken, incl a recording of BBC radio play with album art I added to the files (so I know this is my audio file on USB not from other streaming source), plus another random mp3 file

Attachments

• IMG_8400.JPG
    IMG_8400.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_8406.JPG
    IMG_8406.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_8407.JPG
    IMG_8407.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 194
I’m on 2021.36 and there’s no album art for me playing USB, so it must be 2021.40. Great news!
Yes I was on 2021.36.5.1 a couple days ago, and 2021.36.5 and 2021.36 a week / a couple weeks prior, respectively, and pretty sure the album art was still missing in all of those. And ps yes, MCU2 (upgraded from MCU ending Sept and immediately started gettting 2021.x updates)

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D